Most Common Problem's With PS3's & How To Fix Them.

Was this information helpful?

• YES

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • NO

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
My 0s3 is an old fat one and this is my first time having issues with it. The issue is that I have a Logitech controller and one dualshock 3 my dual shock isn't charged but my logitech one isn't working at all but I have new batteries in it but the home screen on it is working and everything but nothing is moving when I push the stick to move it. If you could help me with this that would be gratefully appreciated thank you.

can some one help, this is the first time i have had any problems with my ps3 and i bought it back in 2008
the problem is that everything is going too fast. And no not just the games but the menu as well.
PSN,gameplay,the menu, everything is like on fast forward and i dont know how to solve the problem
help please

Sounds like power supply if there's no lights at all. Common prob with the older fat units. Fortunately its easy to swap in a differ one.

Guys, i have a ps3 slim 320 gb 2011 model,after about two years,it stopped working,it automatically shuts down in 5 seconds,sony says it'll replace the model with a new one for half the price,is there any other way to save my console?

Hey all Chris here, I have had a few problems with my PS3 lately & have found loads of information on how to fix them, so I have decided to create this thread for people to check when they have a problem themselves.

Firstly is the most common problem I have noticed.

Blu-Ray Discs & Games Not Working.

The Problem

The most common reason is dust on the lens inside the PS3 system. Second reason is corrupted data on your PS3's hard drive. Thirdly is the Blu-Ray reader has burnt out.

How To Fix

- To remove dust just simply get any household hoover with a plastic attachment at the end or any handheld hoover & run it along the vent on the PS3 system. http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/kw/cleaning the PS3

- How to fix corrupt data on the hard drive. To do this you need to put the PS3 into recovery mode. (Step by Step instructions underneath this paragraph.) Recovery mode is completely safe & uses as little power & functions as possible. Once in recovery mode select the 3RD option, this will NOT delete any data on the PS3. It will check the hard drive for corrupt data & attempt to restore it. (This could take up to 2 hours). If it cannot restore it you will have to delete it. If this still doesn't fix the problem you may have to completely clear the hard drive. (This will remove everything so make sure you copy everything onto a USB stick.) To do this simply put the PS3 into recovery mode & select option the 5TH option.

HOW TO PUT YOUR PS3 INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Make sure the PS3 is off but still has power going to it.
2. Hold down the power button until the PS3 turns on then back off.
3. Release the button once it has turned off.
4. Hold down the power button again until you here 1 beep & then 2 more beeps.
5. Connect your controller with a USB lead & select which option you require.

- If none of the above work then your Blu-Ray reader has burnt out, this is serious because it could burn a circle onto your discs which will result in them being damaged & have to be replaced. If your PS3 is still under warranty then Sony will replace this free of charge, if it isn't, then fixing it could set you back 120 pounds. They also give the option to buy a refurbished PS3 with 1 year warranty for 150 - 160 pounds.
If you feel confidant that you could replace it yourself you can easily buy a new disc drive.

PS3 Overheating?

Problem

PS3 getting to hot & automatically shutting down & not turning on again.

How to fix

Most of the time this is a safety feature (especially with the PS3 Slim) When it shuts down because of it being overheated it will not turn off for at least 30 minutes, this is so it can cool down.
To stop this in the first place make sure the PS3 system is not in an enclosed area with little ventilation. If it is in an enclosed area try a PS3 cooling stand, there are loads to choose from. Your PS3 simply sits on top & is connected via 1 of the USB ports. My personal one is a vertical stand, it helps greatly & the PS3 could be left on for 24 hours without a worry.
Another way is to hoover dust out all of the vents, (Please see paragraph 1 for more information)

HDMI Cable stopped working?

Problem

HDMI cable no longer giving out a video or audio thead.

How to fix

- It is probably because the wires inside have become warn out or even burnt & melted together. Depending on the quality & how much you use your PS3 will determine how long your HDMI cable will last. A simple 5 pound one will last about a year, a 10 pound one will last about 2 years and so on. Just simply buy a new cable & continue gaming.

- If the cable is fine the problem will be your HDMI cable port on your PS3 or TV, these will have to be replaced by a professional & prices may vary.

New To Having A HDMI Cable?

If your new to having a HDMI cable just follow these simple step-by-step instructions to set it up.

1. Leaving your original video & audio cables in, just plug your HDMI cable into your PS3 & TV.
2. A message should appear saying a HDMI cable has been connected, just select yes.
3. If a message does not come up saying a HDMI cable has been connected go to settings - Display settings - Video output & follow the instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. If the above method does not work put the PS3 system into recovery mode & select Restart PS3 system. (See above for instructions on how to enter recovery mode)
5. Once the PS3 has turned back on you will see the message saying a HDMI cable has been connected & select yes.

What Are All The 800 Error Codes?

- If you are receiving error codes that begin with '800' click the link below, select the error code you are getting & find out what the problem is & how to fix it.

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5285/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyNDU3NDU4MC9zaWQvZGc2dUVlTWs=

- If you have any questions or ideas for me, please dont hesitate to say.

- Please note I can not be held responsible for any damage or loss of data to your PS3 system.

(Please do not copy this & post it on another website without letting me know & giving me some credit for it)

Hey all Chris here, I have had a few problems with my PS3 lately & have found loads of information on how to fix them, so I have decided to create this thread for people to check when they have a problem themselves.

Firstly is the most common problem I have noticed.

Blu-Ray Discs & Games Not Working.

The Problem

The most common reason is dust on the lens inside the PS3 system. Second reason is corrupted data on your PS3's hard drive. Thirdly is the Blu-Ray reader has burnt out.

How To Fix

- To remove dust just simply get any household hoover with a plastic attachment at the end or any handheld hoover & run it along the vent on the PS3 system. http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/680/kw/cleaning the PS3

- How to fix corrupt data on the hard drive. To do this you need to put the PS3 into recovery mode. (Step by Step instructions underneath this paragraph.) Recovery mode is completely safe & uses as little power & functions as possible. Once in recovery mode select the 3RD option, this will NOT delete any data on the PS3. It will check the hard drive for corrupt data & attempt to restore it. (This could take up to 2 hours). If it cannot restore it you will have to delete it. If this still doesn't fix the problem you may have to completely clear the hard drive. (This will remove everything so make sure you copy everything onto a USB stick.) To do this simply put the PS3 into recovery mode & select option the 5TH option.

HOW TO PUT YOUR PS3 INTO RECOVERY MODE

1. Make sure the PS3 is off but still has power going to it.
2. Hold down the power button until the PS3 turns on then back off.
3. Release the button once it has turned off.
4. Hold down the power button again until you here 1 beep & then 2 more beeps.
5. Connect your controller with a USB lead & select which option you require.

- If none of the above work then your Blu-Ray reader has burnt out, this is serious because it could burn a circle onto your discs which will result in them being damaged & have to be replaced. If your PS3 is still under warranty then Sony will replace this free of charge, if it isn't, then fixing it could set you back 120 pounds. They also give the option to buy a refurbished PS3 with 1 year warranty for 150 - 160 pounds.
If you feel confidant that you could replace it yourself you can easily buy a new disc drive.

PS3 Overheating?

Problem

PS3 getting to hot & automatically shutting down & not turning on again.

How to fix

Most of the time this is a safety feature (especially with the PS3 Slim) When it shuts down because of it being overheated it will not turn off for at least 30 minutes, this is so it can cool down.
To stop this in the first place make sure the PS3 system is not in an enclosed area with little ventilation. If it is in an enclosed area try a PS3 cooling stand, there are loads to choose from. Your PS3 simply sits on top & is connected via 1 of the USB ports. My personal one is a vertical stand, it helps greatly & the PS3 could be left on for 24 hours without a worry.
Another way is to hoover dust out all of the vents, (Please see paragraph 1 for more information)

HDMI Cable stopped working?

Problem

HDMI cable no longer giving out a video or audio thead.

How to fix

- It is probably because the wires inside have become warn out or even burnt & melted together. Depending on the quality & how much you use your PS3 will determine how long your HDMI cable will last. A simple 5 pound one will last about a year, a 10 pound one will last about 2 years and so on. Just simply buy a new cable & continue gaming.

- If the cable is fine the problem will be your HDMI cable port on your PS3 or TV, these will have to be replaced by a professional & prices may vary.

New To Having A HDMI Cable?

If your new to having a HDMI cable just follow these simple step-by-step instructions to set it up.

1. Leaving your original video & audio cables in, just plug your HDMI cable into your PS3 & TV.
2. A message should appear saying a HDMI cable has been connected, just select yes.
3. If a message does not come up saying a HDMI cable has been connected go to settings - Display settings - Video output & follow the instructions.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
4. If the above method does not work put the PS3 system into recovery mode & select Restart PS3 system. (See above for instructions on how to enter recovery mode)
5. Once the PS3 has turned back on you will see the message saying a HDMI cable has been connected & select yes.

What Are All The 800 Error Codes?

- If you are receiving error codes that begin with '800' click the link below, select the error code you are getting & find out what the problem is & how to fix it.

http://faq.en.playstation.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5285/session/L3RpbWUvMTMyNDU3NDU4MC9zaWQvZGc2dUVlTWs=

- If you have any questions or ideas for me, please dont hesitate to say.

- Please note I can not be held responsible for any damage or loss of data to your PS3 system.

(Please do not copy this & post it on another website without letting me know & giving me some credit for it)
Ok so my ps3 has a corupted storage sysem. When I press x to restore it, it never gets anywhere near 50% and then it shuts off. I tried recovery mode but noting I select has any effect. Pls help

my ps3 works and only really play nhl and the game works until you find an opponent then it loads and stays loading then freezes.how do i delete the data on the hard drive...does this sound like the bliue ray is goin bad?its drivin fkn nuts,thanks

Hi Guys I Need Your "HELP"

I have a broblem with my playstation 3 super slim, I press the power button to turn on the console and after 2 seconds it shuting down and there is not any light (NO GREEN OR RED OR YELLOW) And It's like It does not have electricity, the funny is that when you press again the power button from nothing it goes to red, i change the hard disk and the same happends, now is running but what's the problem (It's Not Yellow Light Of Death cause there is no yellow light)

Hi all I know this is an old thread, and I am a little late to the game, this may be war and peace to give the back story (sorry, 1st ever thread comment)

I may have missed it in the 4 pages,but to someone with little technical/electronics knowledge can someone help?

I have a PS3 super slim, I bought it about 7 years ago when the PS4 came out, however it's only been used about 15 times, I have kids, and not much spare time. However I wanted to use it and had it connected to a TV which had also not been used much more than 15 times until i started using it as a second laptop monitor. The tv was a fairly cheapo LED, and went captive, and started to turn off seconds after turning on, this was noticed one of the times I tried to use the PS3.

Replaced the TV with a nice new one and now the PS3 wont turn on, no lights at all.

Can someone help me diagnose the problem, and how to fix, and also could the TV have caused the fault?

I've tried a new power cable (just bought a 2nd hand PS3 for my son for christmas, so tried it out on that.

Really gutted that I've had to wait weeks to get a new TV for the PS3 to have broken, and to be in a lockdown situation and recovering from covid without this to play on.

Thanks in advance.

Back