Most Common Problem's With PS3's & How To Fix Them.

Was this information helpful?

• YES

Votes: 31 91.2%
  • NO

Votes: 3 8.8%

• Total voters
i got an error code thats not on there 80010201 ?
If its not on the website I dont know, sorry .

About HDMI cable problems, you forgot one: cord not fully plugged in. It's happened to me enough that when my TV loses video connection to my PS3, the first thing I do is unplug and reinsert the HDMI cable.

Good point, thank you, i'll add it in.

Don't use a vacuum on your PS3, it causes static electricity and will destroy it! I know Sony say to use the hose attachment, but with the possibility of this happening, I know I won't be doing it. I've got my ps3 since 3 days after launch day (prebooked, no need for queues of the launch) and I've not cleaned it yet, and there are many more vents on that ps3 than any of the newer fatties or slims. As long as it's in open air with good ventilation they're fine!

I can assure you that if you use the long, kinda pointed attachment your PS3 will be fine. I use a plastic handheld 1 so mines safe.

Yesterday it was constantly getting disk read errors while my wife was playing MW3. At least 10 times. So where can we get the PS3 repaired for $70-$80? Geek Squad at Best Buy?? Gosh these new 360s and PS3s are junk. 👎

Also, if we got a new one how would we transfer the data from 1 PS3 to the other PS3? Could we put the saves on a flash drive??

Dont know where in the states you could go because a lot of companies dont fix lasers. Also to transfer data connect 2 PS3s together via ethernet cable & in the settings theres an option to transfer data to the new 1.

I dont know the model number but its the slim and she bought it for me almost exactly 2 years ago. This all started happening after I left it on for the 24 hour B spec endurance race in GT5. First the optical shut of now this.

Same as me, had mine 2 years then laser went. If you do it yourself the model number etc is underneath the PS3. Just make sure you buy a US 1, its the correct size, i.e. I have a 120GB PS3 & theres a number underneath the PS3 that you can match to a disk drive or laser etc.

I am going to buy a laser cleaning disc tonight that has the little brushes on it. If that doesnt work then we will just buy a new PS3. Maybe I can sell this PS3 on craigslist or ebay to try and get some money out of it.
I just simply cant believe how unreliable these consoles are. There is no way I am even interrested in the PS4 or xbox72 AT ALL. They shouldnt even be thinking of another console until they make these reliable. Pretty sad that my original Genesis, Sega CD, and NES still work to this day.

Last edited:
I just simply cant believe how unreliable these consoles are. There is no way I am even interrested in the PS4 or xbox72 AT ALL. They shouldnt even be thinking of another console until they make these reliable. Pretty sad that my original Genesis, Sega CD, and NES still work to this day.

Same here, after the nightmare I have had with my PS3 plus Sony's PR disasters I probably won't be buying the next generation. All my consoles back to the damn grey brick Game Boy work! Quality control is so shoddy these days and the components are really cheap and nasty because they are already being sold at a loss and the less they can spend the better. The Blu Ray lasers in PS3 have to be its weakest point which is hilarious seeing its the thing you need the most.

Give us full HDD installs with disk verification like the Xbox already, the space issues no longer wash because its 2012 and most titles are still under 9GB.

Last edited:
i got an error code thats not on there 80010201 ?

If its not on the website I dont know, sorry .

Found out its Unable to connect to internet so if you get this check everything
Modem,router,cables,ps3 settings
in my case though i had my ps3 dissasembled and when it was back together it would'nt connect
no wifi no light when i plugged the ethernet in so i went back and dissasembled it again :ouch: dusted with air around the ethernet plug and it worked again :odd: but that ps3 is pre YLOD so .....

We tried a cleaning disk and it got rid of the disk read errors but now it keeps freezing. So I ended up just buying another PS3 last night with the 2 year warranty. Transfered some data from the old one over to the new one so Heather could play. Seems to work fine with GT5. I was playing on the 360 and I was running my B spec racer the entire night on the old PS3 while she was on the new PS3. It was actually kinda nice having 2 ps3s but I will be getting rid of this one before it completly dies. No sense in having 2 ps3s especially since this one will probably die at any time.

This PS3 came with a 3D Harry Potter movie. We dont know anything about the Harry Potter movies but hey a free 3d movie is a free 3d movie. Now I just need to buy some 3d glasses. Also should probably watch some of the other HP movies so we will be able to understand this one. lol

Last edited:
hello, I have an issue that seems to be affecting quite a lot of people, but it doesn't seem like there is any solid cure for it.
First problem is, out of the blue, my PS3 starting jamming, and at frequent rates. It would jam upon start up and show only the wavy lines; it would jam when loading a game; or it would jam with exiting game back to the home menu.
2nd problem I'm having now as of this writing. I've got it to do a system file restore that would automatically restart. And it does another system file restore upon restarting, and again and again. I can't do anything accessing the 3 beeps.
Is there any way to resolve this problem without resorting to the hard reset, because I don't have an 80GB portable drive.
Thank you!

esperaunce
hello, I have an issue that seems to be affecting quite a lot of people, but it doesn't seem like there is any solid cure for it.
First problem is, out of the blue, my PS3 starting jamming, and at frequent rates. It would jam upon start up and show only the wavy lines; it would jam when loading a game; or it would jam with exiting game back to the home menu.
2nd problem I'm having now as of this writing. I've got it to do a system file restore that would automatically restart. And it does another system file restore upon restarting, and again and again. I can't do anything accessing the 3 beeps.
Is there any way to resolve this problem without resorting to the hard reset, because I don't have an 80GB portable drive.
Thank you!

Hey, well thank you for coming here to get help, ok so the most obvious reason would be corrupt data on the HDD, its continuously doing the file restore to fix the data, your best bet is to put your PS3 into recovery mode and do the third option. (Read OP for details) if that doesn't work then you may have to wipe your HDD clean. You could try to hoover out all the vents with any household hoover, just make sure there's a plastic attachment or you will fry your HDD.

Have you ever jailbraked your PS3 or done and downloads that wasn't really for the system?
To really help I need some background info to see if anything you've done has caused it.

Hi Silent7,

I've not done anything unofficial or third party with it (it's too expensive for me to take any risks ^^;;)
Between the first first months I bought and now, there was a lull period when I didn't touch for it a few months. Then, Black Ops came out, and my brother and I play it frequently now. My father says it is a cold start.
I was previously able to switch on the PS3 via the controller's PS3 button. all these troubles probably begun when one time, it jammed at the wavy start up screen. After that, it went down-hill.
I will exit the game first, then switch off the PS3 using the home menu. My brother accesses the home menu switch off option while still ingame. Think it might have caused it?
Would opening up the PS3 cause an defaulting of warranties? I'm worried I won't be able to send it in for repairs because whatever repair shop notices I've opened it before.

If its still on warranty send it to Sony :lol: easiest thing to do. Just put all your data in the saved data utility onto a USB stick.

Or call them, because if the file restore or hoovering it clean doesn't work then fixing it would mean opening the PS3.

hi i have a cecha01 i took it apart to clean it and now i have no usb power.there is no cable for the usbs.i dont know what to do i dont want to do a system restore due to if it dont work i cant resync my controllers any ideas?i was told the usb fuse but have no clue were to look for it

Hey man, I was wondering if you knew anything about noises inside the disc drive after the disc is put in. I've described it before as the sound a vcr makes when a vhs is inserted into it. The disc is spinning properly just not reading and recognizing it on the home screen. I cleaned and took it apart and cleaned everything already. HELP PLEASE!! thanks

Last edited:
Hi, my name is Kyle and I bought my Ps3 used. I've heard that its a bad idea to spray compressed air from a can into the disk tray of my Ps3 to rid the dust from the lens. (You see I bought it used and it just started having problems playing black ops a few days ago.) what should I do? Will the air work? Please help me! I'm freaking out!

Last edited:
my little brother was shocked by static with his ps3 and it would turn on by its self beep and then beep again but never load, i tried the recover steps and it fixed it!! (either that or it was the controller) either way thank you for the tips!

So I turned on my ps3 fat a couple days ago and it froze while I was playing ghosts.it froze about 30 min after turning it on and I couldn't turn it off.so I unplugged it and when I turned it on it had blue lines down the screen.i don't think it's the tv becuase I can still put it in safe mode.should I send it in or by a new one?PLEASE HELP

Hi! I actually have a question about a problem I've been having with my PS3. So, I'll be playing on my PS3 and suddenly it'll just start rumbling really hard. At this point I just quit out and just shut down the system, but it's just so annoying that I have to leave the game I'm playing. Please reply back with answers.... Thanks so much! :)

Even if they mention it its a glitch, not a built in feature thats just a secret and it will probably do more harm to the system than good. The best way to clean it is to just vacuum out the rear every now and then.

Slowest reply ever but this is slightly hokey info here. Firstly, it's well known the PS3 has a few hidden/debug features for rebuilding data and such, and it's pretty obvious that the "fan test" is deliberate (how on earth could it be a random "glitch"?) and on the basis that one of the best ways of cleaning crud from the inside of a PC is blowing (eg. compressed air) the innards, how can it possibly be harmful? And what the hell does it have to do with the PS3's temperature sensor? Source for that?

Which leads me on to the commonly accepted fact that you should *never* use a vacuum on a console or PC or anything similar, as the suction produces the kind of static electricity you really don't want dancing over your circuitry. In other words, it can fry it. Robin I appreciate you mean well but why the air of authority when your suggestions are so misguided and potentially damaging? Your comments seem to be entirely based on what you assume to be right, despite going against general consensus.

Anyway, moving on, I can't suggest what the "rumbling" sound may be down to but I do know that if your PS3 slim (mine is the 120GB model) sometimes struggles to read discs and does a mechanical "eject" sound after a few seconds, replacing the whole BR drive is most likely a more expensive fix but weirdly enough, it often seems to read the disc if you tilt the console back about 45 degrees just after you loaded the disc. It also seems to generally work better when the console has been switched on for a while and warmed up.

Now this may actually sound like witchcraft but it works for me and I've seen it mentioned elsewhere. I even opened up and reset/reassembled the blu-ray drive and carriage mechanism some, to no avail, but the "tilt fix" works for me, occasionally needs a few attempts but then nails it =)

Slowest reply ever but this is slightly hokey info here. Firstly, it's well known the PS3 has a few hidden/debug features for rebuilding data and such, and it's pretty obvious that the "fan test" is deliberate (how on earth could it be a random "glitch"?) and on the basis that one of the best ways of cleaning crud from the inside of a PC is blowing (eg. compressed air) the innards, how can it possibly be harmful? And what the hell does it have to do with the PS3's temperature sensor? Source for that?

The recovery menu which includes rebuilding data is NOT a hidden feature, it is documented and accepted function of the PS3 when required unlike the 'fan test' which isn't. The fact its hidden means it’s not a feature it should not be done, if it’s not in the manual then it’s for testing either on the production line or in repair centres.

If you think it’s fine to keep using this to clear dust then go ahead, you can do anything you want with what you own and you can tell everyone to do it if you want but don't make out like Sony condones it or its the defacto way to clean it because it isn't and they certainly don't.

You misunderstood what I meant by glitch. Glitch as in glitching the system into an over heat state without it actually overheating, not glitch as in some random event! It has everything to do with the temperature sensor in the system because it controls the fan speed.

Which leads me on to the commonly accepted fact that you should *never* use a vacuum on a console or PC or anything similar, as the suction produces the kind of static electricity you really don't want dancing over your circuitry. In other words, it can fry it. Robin I appreciate you mean well but why the air of authority when your suggestions are so misguided and potentially damaging? Your comments seem to be entirely based on what you assume to be right, despite going against general consensus.

Because I'm right that’s why, have you ever read your PS3 manual? Check before you give 'misguided and potentially damaging' information. You should also probably tell Sony they are wrong to have written this in 80 million manuals. Where did you get your general consensus from because the 'general consensus' is that the how the console makers tell you how to clean it.... is how you clean it.

http://uk.playstation.com/media/2Pv7AFEC/CECH-2102B_2103B-3.20_UKANZ[EN].pdf

Page 8
Vents

When dust accumulates in the system vents, remove the dust with a low powered VACUUM CLEANER

No one was talking about other electronics, this is a PS3 thread. Also who on earth mentioned vacuuming inside the system? because it certainly wasn't me.

Robin.
The best way to clean it is to just vacuum out the rear every now and then.

I also have to wonder why you gravedug a 4 year old post which no one else had a problem with at the time which is now pretty irrelevant as the PS3 has changed and no longer has many of the past issues.

Last edited:
Well Robin, I was googling PS3 problems and how to fix them because typing in "rumbling" and "PS3" only gave me stuff about buying the controller that rumbles.... so one thing led to another and I found this site, which led me to creating an account, which led me to asking the question. Thank you to all who answered, and have a nice day. :)

@BoushyOushy I was asking why Tyger (who posted under you) gravedug my post in this thread, not you.

If your having a problem with your PS3 rumbling it could either be the fan, HDD or disk drive which are pretty much the only things that move. Can you tell where the sound is coming from? If its rumbling really loudly sounds like it might be the disk drive, try a different disk and see it if rumbles. Also try and run the system without a disk in to try and isolate where the sound is coming from.

OK Robin perhaps I was a little heavy handed, I didn't "gravedig" your post though, clearly this thread is meant as a point of reference, and was rightly bumped by BoushyOushy when she had some issues herself. Therefore as a point of reference, it needs to be accurate and "safe" also.

By "hidden" I meant that menu is just as you described. It's not in the end user manual because of the potential damage to data, and is meant more for engineers and such, therefore to the layman it is hidden. A lot of electronic devices have such debug menus (I had an old MP3 player where you could access a menu with a sequence of button presses and override the volume limit on it, for example).

Regarding the fan, it just doesn't seem feasible to me that somehow holding the reset button down makes the temperature sensor think the PS3 is overheating. Why would it? And as it's clearly not overheating, it simply blows some crud out and I don't see how that can be harmful either, only advantageous. It just seems like a strange turn of events if this wasn't included deliberately, as an engineer's fan test.

As for vacuuming, hell yeahs the general consensus is that you shouldn't use a common or garden hoover or vacuum cleaner near electronics, even to clear out the vents, as the charged air and particles it draws over the circuitry can damage it. A can of compressed air on the other hand can be used to blow dust and crud away. I'm a little surprised it is recommended in the manual but it does say "low powered" (I guess something like those little USB cleaners you get for keyboards) which is a very important point. I think it would be a bad idea to put your Dyson against the air vents, for example.

Anyway semantics, perhaps your recommendations could've been a little clearer and I *still* don't agree on the fan thing to be honest but perhaps in the scheme of things it is safer to avoid it. And apologies, don't take my comments personally, and I should've done a little more research I admit :)

Hey i was wondering if you could help me out with my ps3 issues?
what happens with mine is that it makes this nasty noise when reading my discs and it has also scratches my discs, but it scratches them from the top of the disk and then it freezes and i cant play my games any more >.<
if you can help me that would be great!
Thanks in advanced!

-Lalo

Hey i was wondering if you could help me out with my ps3 issues?
what happens with mine is that it makes this nasty noise when reading my discs and it has also scratches my discs, but it scratches them from the top of the disk and then it freezes and i cant play my games any more >.<
if you can help me that would be great!
Thanks in advanced!

-Lalo

Must've been something wrong with the Blu-Ray reader or whatever you call it. Have you tried opening the top of the PS3?

What about for updates/downloads getting stuck? Are there any ways you can help with this? It's because I'm a victim of this issue.

(I don't want to reset my hard drive or delete some things on my PS3)

What about for updates/downloads getting stuck? Are there any ways you can help with this? It's because I'm a victim of this issue.

(I don't want to reset my hard drive or delete some things on my PS3)

That happens to me too when I'm trying to update my Battlefield 3 a few years ago. Unfortunately, I don't know the fix. :(

Yes but I don't have the right tools .-. I needed like 3 more screws but I wasn't able to open it
Should I try to again?

Yes you should, usually there's dust or other stuff on the disc reader.

In my ps3 I am not able to update any game
As soon as the game is about to be updated some error appears starting with 8
Pls provide help

In my ps3 I am not able to update any game
As soon as the game is about to be updated some error appears starting with 8
Pls provide help

If it happened again, write down the error code and go to the website in the OP.

Back