• Thread starter Ellis
  • 281 comments

Ellis

THE Nutter
Premium
England
Morecambe, Lanc
ellisnutt
Well in spirit to the most underrated games thread I thought why not have a "most overrated games" thread :)

What game did you get told was awesome and be really disappointed with? :)

One of my personal one is (prepares for flame war) Call of duty Black ops. I was well let down. It ruined my opinion of MW3 which is good :lol:

Whats yours and why? :)

F1 2011 ps3. Worse graphics than previous version. Seeming lack of will to deal with some issues from codies by patching the game. Even more annoying cause the racing is actually very good but cant enjoy it much with poor graphics. Not a day one purchase for me next season..

Grid got great reviews and everyone was talking about how good it was. But for me this game was a big disappointment. Very twitchy controls, lack of decent wheel support and despite a detailed damage model, that damage model had major flaws.

Fryto
Grid got great reviews and everyone was talking about how good it was. But for me this game was a big disappointment. Very twitchy controls, lack of decent wheel support and despite a detailed damage model, that damage model had major flaws.

I couldn't play it with my DFGT, it was just too hard. When playing it with my DS3 I must say the game was pretty good though. Online races suck though.

For the most overrated game I'd say Bioshock. I've only played the first one but I didn't enjoy it at all.

Shift 2 Unleashed for me. Don't know about The Run yet, all I know is the update on mine failed first time...

AOS-
The Run didn't even have a large group of fans in the first place.

It's going to be F1 2011 for me.

Probably because Need for Speed's peak has run out, ie everything after Carbon has reduced the fan base due to lower quality.

F1 2011 is OK enough, just Codemasters needs to get it out faster every year.

Last edited:
C-ZETA
Probably because Need for Speed's peak has run out, ie everything since Carbon has reduced the fan base due to lower quality.

F1 2011 is OK enough, just Codemasters needs to get it out faster every year.

Carbon was a great game

For me it was easily GT5. I had never been so excited about a game. I followed every little tid bit that was released about it during it's production. I went out and bought PS3, Playseat evo, G25, and buttkicker literally only for GT5. I bet I only played it for maybe a total of 10 hours all together. And that was just because I was forcing myself to think it was going to get better, which it never did. I could not get passed the standard car versions of no cockpit, and the game was just a drag to play, I figured for sure they would actually make the single player a little fun, and get rid of the grinding.

I have since though branched off to other racing sims and purchased a 911 turbo s wheel, so I guess at least GT5 got me to finally get a wheel and setup, even though I didn't really use it much for GT5.

My other major disappointment was socom 4. It was the other game that made me get a PS3. Both GT5 and socom 4 are the only reasons I bought the console and both were huge disappointments. One thing I did learn though from GT5 was to not get caught up in the hype so much, so it did kind of lessen the blow of how bad socom 4 turned out to be.

Modern Warfare 3. I Can't stand what they did to the Modern Warfare title. IMO, the multiplayer is the worst I've played on any game ever, the story is not interesting and pretty boring. Finally, spec ops/ survival is incredibly boring after about level 10.

Cod is the same since cod 4 definitely but the old ones are classics. Well. The first one is.

ellisnutt
Cod is the same since cod 4 definitely but the old ones are classics. Well. The first one is.

Thats what im getting at, COD itself isnt overated but some of its newer releases are.

For me uncharted 3 was a little overated, i liked it but my friend made it sound much better than i expected.

World at War, MW2 & Black Ops.

MW was a different beast, it was Prypiat that made the game for me.

I won't put MW3 inside my PS3.

I actually liked MW2. COD4 was one of my all-time favorites, and is better than MW2, but I still think MW2 is a good game.

Sach
I actually liked MW2. COD4 was one of my all-time favorites, and is better than MW2, but I still think MW2 is a good game.

I agree 100%
All the Call of Duty games I've played have been great, but the last two were a little over rated. CoD4 is probably the best game ever made in my opinion (tied with GT4).

Black ops was the best COD in my oppinion, mw2 was ok but nothing special.

Black ops is whole different expierience in 3D so dont dislike the game until youve used it to its max.

Call of Duty as a series is overated. I know many others mentioned it but it is overated. MW2 was horrible. I mean the series doesn't completely suck but it us the same thing year after year

Black ops was the best COD in my oppinion, mw2 was ok but nothing special.

Black ops is whole different expierience in 3D so dont dislike the game until youve used it to its max.

It's strange how people seem to go one way or the other with this one. I did not like WAW, and I knew that Black Ops would be a similar game, but I gave it the benefit of the doubt. I bought Black Ops on release day and returned it that very same day, exchanging it for COD4.

Tekken 4 was a big letdown coming off of Tekken 3 and then Tekken Tag. Luckily Tekken 5 and subsequent games have been great.

The "first" Street Fighter 4 was a bit of a letdown for me as well. SF3 Third Strike was fantastic and after seeing the SF4 commercial on TV with Faith No More playing in the background I was really excited to grab it but it the gameplay was kinda bland with a horrible soundtrack and childish character animation.

All of the Modern Warfare games in Call Of Duty. Same graphics, same gameplay, $15 for a few maps etc.

Well at least you took the time to play them all to come that conclusion. I for one can not say they are overrated as I've only played 2 of them.

I say Call of Duty, despite bringing some good games, for many of the reasons above. I've only owned 2, MW1 and MW3. And I don't play either much...

Last edited:
Back