Most Overrated games?

• Thread starter Ellis
  • 281 comments
There were a few CODs sun off from the main series and they were on the PS2. E.g World at War was on PS3 while World at War:Final Fronts was on the PS2

Spagetti69
Another one for me is Metal gear solid 4, it's like marmite, you love it or hate it.

Didn't press the right buttons for me.
I won't moan about the long cut scenes as that's well documented. The game play felt awkward and old hat.
After playing MGS3 I was expecting great things, I was majorly disappointed by it, however having the iPod in the inventory was pretty amusing. But my most overrated game has to be MW3(seems most feel the same way) black ops was and still is played a lot on my xbox. Mw3 could of done so well seeming as there were new people in charge, but they we really lazy with the designing and reused old buildings and cars from previous games, although that's not a problem with a game it just shows that there only interested in one thing...money.

Nascar the Game 2011. Way overhyped by both the dev and activi$ion. Forced out the door by activi$ion. The game that was released March 31, 2011 was a LESS than BETA.

Finally with the 3rd patch(9 months later grant you) the game has finally become somewhat enjoyable. Still toooooo many glitches and errors to report. For anyone that did not follow this, the game was hyped to be the end all be all, next to iRacing Nascar game for consoles. It makes me cringe to think that was the intent.......

"Experience the Thrill of the chase for the Nascar Sprint Cup IN THE MOST REALISTIC NASCAR GAME EVER DEVELOPED. This is Nascar Revolutionized" Realllllllly....... Complete blatant and false advertising. But due to the new laws made by M$ and Activi$ion, they basically have blocked you from class action......

This game my friends, if you know much about it, IMHO is the MOST overrated and overhyped game of the current century. Duke Nukem comes close, but this takes the cake......

Ah the Duke I forgot about that :lol:
Don't get me started on dead island. All that hype of that INCREDIBLE announcement trailer.........for nothing :lol:
And with the long build up, Aliens colonial marines better be good :lol:

Now that I think about it, Civilization III seems to take the cake as the most overrated game ever.

Everything is biased against the player. The AI gives each other free technologies while the player doesn't get anything for free, the game makes you start in a desert while the AI starts in grassland terrain filled with resources, you lose modern units such as tanks to ancient age spearmen, while you don't win with primitive units. Ever.

Play Civilization III and try not get frustrated. How can people like this game so much? Every concept in the game that could have been good gets butchered and chopped like a steak. OK, really. Play this game and not give up within the first 20 minutes or so.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I don't want to make a new one.

I think for me its God of War 3. Just a lot of romp with almost no substance, nowhere near as fun and as well made as the first or even the second one.

Also Mass Effect. That gameplay behind all the shinyness is so bland and boring it makes librarians cry.

F1 2011 ps3. Worse graphics than previous version. Seeming lack of will to deal with some issues from codies by patching the game. Even more annoying cause the racing is actually very good but cant enjoy it much with poor graphics. Not a day one purchase for me next season..

I dont understand how this can be classed as overrated, It was my understanding that most people who bought the game felt ripped of and thought it was a load of rubbish, Myself included. I think your getting a overrated game and a crap game mixed up.

Bioshock for me. Great story, sure, but the gameplay itself was dull and boring, and it felt poorly produced in my opinion. The weird low-quality sound really put me off, I'm not normally pedantic like that but Bioshock was, in my opinion, overhyped.

Tourist Trophy was WAY overhyped, and how exactly is it possible to brake 100% when you're fully banked over?

The first TT Superbikes is a much more realistic and enjoyable game.

I did like it but I think MGS4 was overrated. 10/10 reviews all over the place and when the game got going in parts it was fun. But jesus, so. many. cutscenes. I know that's kind of what you expect from a MGS game now but they just went on and on. It's not the game that the original MGS was, no way.

Now that I think about it, Civilization III seems to take the cake as the most overrated game ever.

Everything is biased against the player. The AI gives each other free technologies while the player doesn't get anything for free, the game makes you start in a desert while the AI starts in grassland terrain filled with resources, you lose modern units such as tanks to ancient age spearmen, while you don't win with primitive units. Ever.

Play Civilization III and try not get frustrated. How can people like this game so much? Every concept in the game that could have been good gets butchered and chopped like a steak. OK, really. Play this game and not give up within the first 20 minutes or so.

Sorry for bumping an old thread but I don't want to make a new one.

I think civilisation's difficulty is messed up.

Higher doesnt make the AI more cunning etc it makes them have advantages over you (like faster tech etc) which in my book is messed up.

Last edited:
SimonK
I did like it but I think MGS4 was overrated. 10/10 reviews all over the place and when the game got going in parts it was fun. But jesus, so. many. cutscenes. I know that's kind of what you expect from a MGS game now but they just went on and on. It's not the game that the original MGS was, no way.

Yeah, I'd agree with you there. I personally thought it was a great game but I was so disappointed that the actual gameplay accounted for about a third of my first (36 hour) playthrough and on my second go, skipping everything I could skip, I finished it in 6 hours. Six. My record was 4'45. I know Japan has a thing about speedruns but that doesn't mean the games HAVE to be short! Hideo Kojima did once say, though, that that was the reason MGS was as short as it was. I was also seriously let down by the 'Oh yeah, that? That was nanomachines, so was that, this, these, them two over there and this guy was actually also wearing special trousers which look totally high-tech NOW but didn't the first time you saw him. Also he had nanomachines too' explanation for and conclusion to EVERYTHING. Then again I should've seen that coming because two enemies that exploded in MG2 came back perfectly fine in later games. No, wait, that's not true, one of them came back ok (bizarrely) and the other was Grey Fox and we all know how THAT turned out.

Still, I loved the gameplay enough to overlook everything else, I played it once for the story and after that I was purely collecting items and emblems. When you play it like that it's nowhere near as upsetting.

Max Payne 3 is similar but possibly worse because it seamlessly takes control away from you then gives it back again, and you can't skip the majority of cutscenes, so if you get bored and wander off you're likely to come back to being dead for some reason. Also it's bloody annoying when you finish a chapter and have to wait what seems like half an hour to be able to save and quit, in fact last time I played it I ended up playing for about two hours longer than I'd intended because I completely forgot that I was going to save and quit at the end of chapter 5. The concluding cutscenes of chapter 5 and the opening of chapter 6 were long enough for me to forget to stop playing. Maybe that says more about me than the game... But that, too, is a lot of fun to play so you can kind of forgive it (and play arcade mode to skip the story).

Dirt 3. Currently the highest rated racer on metacritic for PS3.

More Rally they promised, back to its roots.

Total nonsense. 90 sec speed runs where you hardly needed to steer. Steering felt around the 180 degree range to me also.

Gymkhana. Huh. Actually a feature I wasn't thrilled about was the best bit of the game.

Then came the complete edition with all DLC included. Wish they had told me I bought the incomplete edition on release.

Crap.

Just to add an underrated game. Ferrari challenge/supercar challenge. Not great graphically. AI a joke but some decent physics and feedback. Probably a bit more deserving than it gets credit for.

Why are people complaining about dirt3's complete edition? I bought new Vegas on release, but due to a lack of hdd space, I didn't download the dlc. I recently bought the ultimate edition with all dlc on the disk. No complaints from me. It was also cheaper than buying all the dlc's on psn would be today. That's life. I'm not complaining. As a matter of fact, I'm happy with my purchase. So why all the complaints about dirt3?

Then came the complete edition with all DLC included. Wish they had told me I bought the incomplete edition on release.
This has been SoP in the industry for many years now. It's basically replaced Greatest Hits-style sales systems this generation for higher-profile games, in order to try to increase shelf-life of a product and cut used sales; and it really shouldn't have surprised you honestly.

oh heavens I forgot about this thread :lol:
I have added dead space 1 to the list. It is so predictable. Scary but bland.

F1 fan
Why are people complaining about dirt3's complete edition? I bought new Vegas on release, but due to a lack of hdd space, I didn't download the dlc. I recently bought the ultimate edition with all dlc on the disk. No complaints from me. It was also cheaper than buying all the dlc's on psn would be today. That's life. I'm not complaining. As a matter of fact, I'm happy with my purchase. So why all the complaints about dirt3?

Because you technically couldn't finish the single player mode without buying the DLC.

+1 for Ferrari Challenge and the subsequent Supercar Challenge, I never played the second because it appeared to be Ferrari Challenge with a handful of supercars that weren't Ferraris and maybe two or three tracks more. The game itself was pretty poor, it looked like a sim but I felt like it was just scripted to look like a sim, if that makes sense... Like the gentle swaying when you brake, I don't think there's actually any physics behind that, it's purely aesthetic.

Because you technically couldn't finish the single player mode without buying the DLC.

Is that true? I did a quick google search and the only thing I could really find was that it affects the in game trophies. If that is the case, then it's no big deal. As a matter of fact, it's nothing new. If you actually cannot physically complete it without DLC, then that is an outrage.

Personally, I've never bought a piece of DLC, although I have bought copies of games that have DLC included on the disc or a redemption voucher. That's going to change when Dawnguard releases on the PS3 though.

Well basically it's no big deal because you can pass the trophies without full points to get to the next level, but it's still pretty disappointing to see that you have 450 out of 500 points because you don't want to spend money. So in a technical sense you can complete it, but if you're a completionist then it's a slap in the face that you didn't get the full game when you paid full price for it, you know? The Fallout DLCs were different because if you didn't have them then you'd never notice they weren't there, but Dirt 3 has 'you need to buy this content to enter' in probably half of the tournaments (that might be an exaggeration, I haven't played it in a while). It's just audacious and off-putting (I'm pretty sure I won't be buying any more Codemasters games for some time), though not exactly ruinous to the game itself.

The problem I have with a lot of DLC's is that their trophies are added to the trophy list even if you don't have the DLC's. That shouldn't happen. I believe it stops you from being able to achieve the platinum trophy... Not that I know for sure as I don't have any. As you may be able to tell, I'm not a completionist (unless we're talking about RPG's) so I don't really get bothered by these things.

I don't think they do interfere with platinum trophies, I think Sony designed the system so that any additional trophies count toward the % completion of a game's trophies but not to toward the platinum. I've noticed some games have a small '+' next to the unobtained trophy icon to indicate that they're DLC but some don't, I think Burnout Paradise was one that doesn't have them but I'm pretty sure to get a platinum for that all I have to do is plug a webcam into my PS3 and send a photo to someone or something, even though I only have about half of the DLC trophies.

It should always be that games are 100% and platinum trophy completable without DLC however the DLC can add extra trophies if it wants. I never knew there were some games out there which required DLC to compete the game percentage :yuck:

Yep, I have a platinum on Mafia II but only 87% or something complete as I didn't get the DLC.

Actually that is the most ridiculously overrated games i've seen in years. Gamespot didn't even try to hide the fact they got paid a substantial amount of money for their review, the entire story is a rip off of goodfellas and the arseholes at 2k raped and pillaged it so they could make more money.

Madden. I have bought one of those games since 08 since it is a roster update with a few new features.
Mafia 2. Way to short of a story. I could do the whole thing in 6 hours
Battlefield 3. The Beta was really good. The Alpha even better but that game is getting worse every day. The amount of people that cry for Nerf's is amazing.
GT5. Yea I know people are going to disagree but for all the hype they put into the games advertising it sure did not live up to those expectations
NTG 2011. Broken. Nuff Said
Every CoD after WaW. The same game new cover and a few extra features.

One thing I very much dislike though is when they take something that was really great in one game and the next installation takes a step back just because they feel they have to keep everything new with each release.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Back