MotoGP 2010 Thread

• Thread starter Neal
  • 389 comments
Status
Not open for further replies.
^ I noticed that too, Lorenzo blanking everyone who came up to congratulate him was a bit off really but I guess his head was elsewhere...still rude though and Spies made it clear he wasn't impressed. Obviously Rossi doesn't let anyone do something he doesn't want them to ;). From what I've heard recently Lorenzo is actually quite shy and the arrogance is just an act he's forced for self preservation, I don't know how I would deal with Rossi but maybe it is best to fight fire with fire. Did you also notice Rossi keeping them waiting on the podium while he arsed about :lol:

I thought that strange when Spies went to shake his hand and no response.
You could see Spies distaste for not acknowledging his gesture for sportsmanship.
No biggie though as Spies will be fighting for a few podiums next year if not this year before it's all said and done.

I've never seen Lorenzo like that and I guess he was caught up in the moment with the win of the Championship so it's possible that emotions were quite high at that moment.
I'm curious to see how the Lorenzo/ Spies team are going to be once the new season starts.

I do hope Lorenzo matures a bit next year. Perhaps being a Premier class champion will do that, although for some it makes them worse. Spies has a reputation (at least from his AMA days, and even SBK days) of not shying away from a battle, especially when he's on equal machinery. There was an old interview after a particularly fierce race between Mat and Ben, during the AMA year where Mat edged out Ben toward the end. They were both bumping each other and battling for position throughout the entire race, and Mat was the returning multi-year champion with Ben the up-and-coming young pup challenger (on an equal bike).

After the race the two riders were yucking it up and laughing about how fun it was to race like that. Lorenzo has been on the losing end of that kind of teammate last year and this year with Rossi, so I hope that he's not expecting Ben to give him space because I don't think he will.

Next year should be awesome. 👍

edit: Just did some checking.....I was wrong, it was Ben who edged out Mladin in that race. Basically, Mladin won the title for 3 years running until Spies became his teammate. After that, Spies won the AMA title the next 3 years. For some reason I seem to remember the Mladin / Spies history backwards. But I guess the Wiki never lies? Watch out Lorenzo. :)

Last edited:
I've never watched much AMA but I know it's a very good championship. I only just about have enough time to keep up with MotoGP these days but there was a time when I was watching BSB, WSB and MotoGP! now I just need to get my 3 year old hooked on motorsport so we can gang up on the missus ;)

AMA used to be a dicey championship back in the late '90s and early '00s, with Honda, Suzuki and Ducatti always in the mix. Honda and Ducatti were running twins back then; Suzuki was perfecting their GSXR and Yamaha was concentrating on Supersport and MotoGP. After Suzuki dialed in the GSXR, the competition fell off and now there are only 2 (I think) manufacturers in the mix, Yamaha and Suzuki. Back in the day watching those twins battle (Honda and Duc) was pretty special, to see and hear! AMA is in a flux right now; they don't know what they want to be. Their trying (I believe) to be more of a SuperSpeedway type event, using alot of SS road circuits with banking and high speeds, touring with the Rolex Series sometimes. It has resulted in alot of crashes and injuries so I don't think it will last. With all the Euro Championships being televised now, I don't think the money is there anymore, Plus the manufacturers are picky about where their developement money is going.

Although, it has been pretty wild watching alot of privateers racing on TV. There is aleast one red flag at every race, that I've seen. Massive 'yard sales' on the opening lap somewhere on track. Scary, actually. :nervous:

Lorenzo Land!!!

I see you have the Jorge Lorenzo avatar. nice thread!

Rossi is my favorite, but I also support the other aliens (Pedrosa, Stoner, Lorenzo). personally, I do not see how people can "hate" other racers...I like them all, but maybe I am naive or at least more relaxed! haha

Hopefully, we will see some cracking races next year!! Rossi on the Duc, Lorenzo/Spies on the M1s, Stoner on Honda...it will be interesting.

Cheers!
:)

Forza Rossi!!!
:)

^ nice post 👍 only just spotted it! I thought I'd give Lorenzo a bit of recognition in my avatar for a while :)

So then, just fast forwarded through 1 1/2 hours of qualifying that was eventually cancelled. Grid position is decided by combined qualifying times so the front row is Lorenzo, Hayden then Rossi. Let's hope the weather is better tomorrow!

Could Marquez be any luckier! Everything was thrown at him in the 125 race and he still came out on top, well done!

Great race especially the first 5-6 laps,though Rossi had it in the bag,but his tyres didn't last long enough...

Great show for 3rd place,outstanding job from Simonchelli,he is becomming a top rider soon...

spy.

Huge shame that Spies fell off on the sighting lap and it looked like Stoner was doing well until he binned it. The beginning of the race was pretty action packed but once the Yamaha's pulled away it was only the battle for third that kept it interesting although it was a good battle. Simonchelli did really well, who's he riding for next year?

In a break from the norm I've actually updated the first post in a timely manner but the bad news is that the next race this weekend at Valencia is the last race of the year :( :( I'm keeping everything crossed it will be a blinder and end the season with a bang....figuratively speaking!

Yup good race and Lorenzo really wanted that win for sure.
I missed Spies and Stoner in the hunt for podium but that's racing for you.
And yeah, it's going to seem lonely now on Sundays with pretty much no more bike racing, motorsport racing, and colder weather killing off most motorsports.
Blah....

I just finished watching the race after misssing the live coverage for a football match, sheesh... All I can say, shame for Spies and Stoner I thought they could well be challenging for a podium. No words for both Yamahas, they were up away ahead leaving the great battle for the podium of Simoncelli and Dovizioso. One of the most, or probably the most entertaining race this season!

Spies says he'll try to go at Valencia. Not sure he'll make it, but he is a trooper (how do you dislocate your ankle?? Sounds painfull). Hayden and Stoner made guesses at their setup as did the Yamaha's. Hayden went with a soft front and soft rear tyre (everyone else was on medium fronts/soft rears), so he only lasted for about half the race. Rossi mirrored Hayden sentiments that since they only did wet laps during the weekend until the race, they all really just went off previous data for their setups and gearing. Lorenzo was fierce. But that Honda sure was getting great drive out of the parabolica. Didn't Dovizioso take Simoncelli at the line? Sad there's only one race left. :(

Almost forgetting the final Motogp race this weekend with all the amazing formula1 stuff going on.......but this is the quali result from today:

27 Casey STONER AUS Ducati Team Ducati 310.3 1'31.799
2 99 Jorge LORENZO SPA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 305.5 1'32.130 0.331 / 0.331
3 58 Marco SIMONCELLI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 303.7 1'32.244 0.445 / 0.114
4 46 Valentino ROSSI ITA Fiat Yamaha Team Yamaha 305.4 1'32.330 0.531 / 0.086
5 69 Nicky HAYDEN USA Ducati Team Ducati 305.7 1'32.422 0.623 / 0.092
6 11 Ben SPIES USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 305.1 1'32.566 0.767 / 0.144
7 5 Colin EDWARDS USA Monster Yamaha Tech 3 Yamaha 305.3 1'32.579 0.780 / 0.013
8 26 Dani PEDROSA SPA Repsol Honda Team Honda 312.4 1'32.603 0.804 / 0.024
9 4 Andrea DOVIZIOSO ITA Repsol Honda Team Honda 311.3 1'32.886 1.087 / 0.283
10 33 Marco MELANDRI ITA San Carlo Honda Gresini Honda 308.7 1'32.917 1.118 / 0.031
11 14 Randy DE PUNIET FRA LCR Honda MotoGP Honda 307.1 1'32.925 1.126 / 0.008
12 41 Aleix ESPARGARO SPA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 303.1 1'33.085 1.286 / 0.160
13 40 Hector BARBERA SPA Paginas Amarillas Aspar Ducati 311.0 1'33.170 1.371 / 0.085
14 65 Loris CAPIROSSI ITA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 306.5 1'33.339 1.540 / 0.169
15 7 Hiroshi AOYAMA JPN Interwetten Honda MotoGP Honda 308.3 1'33.343 1.544 / 0.004
16 71 Carlos CHECA SPA Pramac Racing Team Ducati 305.3 1'33.499 1.700 / 0.156
17 19 Alvaro BAUTISTA SPA Rizla Suzuki MotoGP Suzuki 305.9 1'33.515 1.716 / 0.016

So what is evident in the last few races is that the Ducati is the bike to beat,but if Stoner cant stay on it again,it will be up to Rossi next year to do very well!!!!!

Tomorrow last race of the season,so it is to be expected that it wont be a tough race,cause all is already set for next year....welll,most is at the top teams anyway!!

My new top guy is Simoncelli.....hope he will finish on the podium tomorrow,his quali pace should give him a great chance for it!!!!!

spy.

Will be interesting to see Rossi's time on the Ducati later on in the week.

:cheers: Spy 👍

I didn't watch the qualifying until late last night so haven't had time to post the results, I probably won't watch the race live either :guilty:

Ditto with Simoncelli, I believe he'll be getting a full factory Honda next year so we should be seeing more from him.

I'm really looking forward to the test sessions on Tuesday and Wednesday. MotoGP.com are showing it live if you have (or buy) a videopass and in the UK British Eurosport is showing a half hour highlight programme on Friday at 4.45pm.

Great race today,with some intence battles... :)

Thanks for the test links Neal,i will be following closely what will happen there 👍

spy.

I just hope Rossi gets his shoulder fixed over the off season. The amount of riders capable of winning the championship next year is incredible, all on factory bikes too!!. Should be just epic!!

Great race, I really enjoyed it too. Not sure on Lorenzo's choice of helmet though :odd:

Can't wait to see Rossi on a Ducati this week :D

Next year is shaping up to be a cracker, there's going to be so many rivalrys both team-to-team and within teams. I'm sure Rossi's shoulder will be sorted and fingers crossed no one else gets injured.

Besides the obvious Lorenzo Championship win, I'd like to point out the performance from Ben Spies. He had never been to any but 2 of the tracks, and with a non manufacturer bike, ended 6th overall with several impressive results. His more experienced team mate miles behind. Ride of the year IMO!

Bring on 2011!

Besides the obvious Lorenzo Championship win, I'd like to point out the performance from Ben Spies. He had never been to any but 2 of the tracks, and with a non manufacturer bike, ended 6th overall with several impressive results. His more experienced team mate miles behind. Ride of the year IMO!

Bring on 2011!
Exactly.
The way he passed Simonchelli and the other guy was phenomenal.
Spies should have been rider of the year but Rookie of the Year is 👍 too.

And what's with Lorenzo wanting everyone to properly pronounce his last name now? :grumpy:
85% of the world would pronounce his name Low-ren-zo and now it's Low-ret-so? What gives? :rolleyes:
There was never an issue with anyone pronouncing his name and he gets the championship and now decides that he wants everyone to pronounce his name correctly? Sounds like things may be getting to his head or I'm just misinterpreting what's going on here. :odd:

Oh well, I'm saddened it's all at an end until next year. :(
Is it next year yet? 💡

Am I the only one who hates how the American commentators say 'Lorentho' when pronouncing Lorenzo?

Just for those that didnt know, Jeremy Burgess and his team followed Rossi across to Ducati as well.

Just been checking the results from the 2 day testing.

Stoner fastest on a new ride (Honda),
Lorenzo 2nd on his "usual" ride, though a new and improved one,
Spies 3rd on a new ride (factory Yamaha)

Rossi promissing, but a very, very new Ducati apparently.

It's worth nothing so far... Just a 1st test. But cool to see what I consider the fastest men, being up there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back