Motor Trend Vehicles of the Year

CAR OF THE YEAR

Chrysler 300- It's retro, RWD, and it's got a Hemi. That's why it won. However, you can't underestimate it's competition, like the all-new Ford Mustang. I can't really decide which to pick, but I have heard opinions that the 300's windows are too small. The Dodge Magnum is great too, as it revived the station wagon.

TRUCK OF THE YEAR

Toyota Tacoma- Is there something significantly different about the new Tacoma besides the styling? If not, I wouldn't have chosen it. More like the revolutionary new line of Dodge Rams, such as the Hemi Ram, the Rumble Bee, or the Ram SRT-10. Those are my trucks of the year.

SPORT UTILITY OF THE YEAR

Land Rover LR3- It's the all-new, renamed Range Rover. Please, give it to the Hemi Durango. By placing the Hemi in the Durango, Dodge has taken an otherwise mediocre SUV and made it cool. The LR3 must be special to beat that out.

Classic Anycar
The Dodge Magnum is great too, as it revived the station wagon.
Most people give credit to Subaru (and sometimes Audi) for that.

Toyota Tacoma- Is there something significantly different about the new Tacoma besides the styling?
Are you kidding? It's totally new – platform, engine, everything. Everything. It's easily the best midsize pickup on the market right now (well, Doug says the '05 Frontier will be better, but I'm not sure if it's on the market yet :P). Trust me, it's not just a minor facelift.

Why exactly should the Durango win? Sticking an engine in, as you even said, an "otherwise mediocre SUV", shouldn't mean a definite win. Looking at the big changes between the previous generation of it and the Disco (no, it is not a renamed Range Rover). The LR3 moves the game on for big SUVs. The Durango does not.

I'm not sure about the Rumble Bee, but the Hemi Ram and the SRT-10 are not new for this year. Besides, crowning the SRT-10 simply for being the fastest would be like the SL65/SLR/Carrera GT winning COTY. The Tacoma's a completely new truck, as Sage said.

I suppose the 300 is a worthy car of the year. I'm trying to think of a car that has been so significant to such a big amount of people, and other than the Mustang, and C6. I think that's one of the major considerations for all three categories; the significance of the car's place in the market. Perhaps that's why the 300 wins; the C6 may have moved on, but so have the 997 and F430. The Mustang doesn't have any competition in its traditional class.

And the Magnum reviving the wagon? Hah!

I put no weight on the Motor Trend pick for car of the year. God, they picked the Ford Thunderbird as car of the year. Jeez.

Car of the Year - There are far better cars out there than the 300C. I think the 2005 Legacy/Outback should have gotten this award. It's a far mroe practical car, and it can be more things to more people.

Toyota Tacoma - I'll agree with them on this, but there wasn't much action in this segment this year. The Colorado isn't very stiff competition.

SUV of The Year - This should have gone to the new Jeep Grand Cherokee. It has the same off-road prowess as the LR3, weighs much less, and looks a fair sight better too. Also, the Grand Cheokee has much more diverse engine options, and gets to 60 quicker (8.7 vs. 6.9 sec), at least with the top-dawg hemi. It is also cheaper, 34K vs. 45K.

skip0110
Toyota Tacoma - I'll agree with them on this, but there wasn't much action in this.
There was more action this year in the midsize truck segment than there will be for a long, long time. ;) New Colorado/Canyon twins, new Dakota, new Tacoma, and new Frontier, all this year. Next year the only anticipated new truck will be the Mitsubishi spinoff from the Dakota (or is that '06?), unless Ford decides on finally re-doing the Ranger/B-Series twins. But for the most part, the "new" action seems pretty much over with for a while. I'd like to see Ford do a good job with a new Ranger though.

SlipZtrEm
Why exactly should the Durango win? Sticking an engine in, as you even said, an "otherwise mediocre SUV", shouldn't mean a definite win.

Ahem.

05130051990002LRG.jpg

Should too.

That said, the Hemi is crap in the Durango - no better performance, no better fuel economy. Doesn't do anything for it, in my opinion - it's not the same thing as the above vehicle.

skip0110
Car of the Year - There are far better cars out there than the 300C. I think the 2005 Legacy/Outback should have gotten this award. It's a far mroe practical car, and it can be more things to more people.

Then why's it EPA rated at 19mpg? Yeah, cool, it's an SUV alternative. Formerly, it was an SUV alternative with better economy and handling with deficits in cargo room and visibility. Now it's an SUV alternative with the same economy (coupled with a slightly smaller fuel tank) and deficits in cargo room and visibility. Its sole plus is "more carlike," which never works - just ask the Mazda MPV.

Car of the year should've been the Mustang. They were hell-bent on the 300C ever since it arrived, which, by the way, happened about a YEAR ago; this thing should NEVER have been a 2005 model. Motor Trend trying to revive a segment putting aside actual objectiveness. It's why I don't read the magazines...

Sage
and new Frontier, all this year. Next year the only anticipated new truck will be the Mitsubishi spinoff from the Dakota (or is that '06?),

You seem to be under the impression that Motor Trend has just made awards for the best vehicle released in calendar-year 2004. In fact, the awards are for the best vehicle released for model-year 2005. Colorado was newly a 2004 model, and the Frontier won't be released until calendar 2005, making it a 2006 model. So skip's right - very little action in the truck front for the 2005 model year.

M5Power
You seem to be under the impression that Motor Trend has just made awards for the best vehicle released in calendar-year 2004. In fact, the awards are for the best vehicle released for model-year 2005.
Well sorry, I don't read MT, if you can believe that. ;)

M5Power
Then why's it EPA rated at 19mpg? Yeah, cool, it's an SUV alternative. Formerly, it was an SUV alternative with better economy and handling with deficits in cargo room and visibility. Now it's an SUV alternative with the same economy (coupled with a slightly smaller fuel tank) and deficits in cargo room and visibility. Its sole plus is "more carlike," which never works - just ask the Mazda MPV.
It is only 19 mpg if you get the hot-rod turbo 2.5 engine. A Legacy 2.5i makes 23/30 on the EPA cycle, comparable to a Malibu Maxx's 22/30. (My parents own 2 Impreza 2.5TS wagons; they meticulously reocrd fuel consupmtion and both have made between 21 and 22 mpg for the last 15,000 miles.)

A Legacy/Outback costs between 21 and 25 thousand, comparable to a Ford Escape (which also makes similar milage numbers and is no quicker). The Subaru will last a damn sight longer, has a more advanced AWD system, and has 33.5 cu ft behind the last seat as comapered to the Ford's 29.3 (and a Malibu Maxx's 22.8). The Legacy is a very good buy...it should have been car of the year.

Sage
Well sorry, I don't read MT, if you can believe that. ;)

Good. :D

skip0110
It is only 19 mpg if you get the hot-rod turbo 2.5 engine. A Legacy 2.5i makes 23/30 on the EPA cycle, comparable to a Malibu Maxx's 22/30. (My parents own 2 Impreza 2.5TS wagons; they meticulously reocrd fuel consupmtion and both have made between 21 and 22 mpg for the last 15,000 miles.)

It's 19mpg if you opt for the 250-horsepower flat-six! The turbo sets it back to 17/19 with a manual, 18/19 with an automatic! The six is 19/19 across the board.

I wouldn't call either the six or the turbo four a "hot rod" engine, since all competitive midsize SUVs put out at least 220hp, with the most popular going for 239, 255, 230 (Grand Cherokee), 270 and 230 (Highlander). The Outback, the "car-like" alternative to all these SUVs, gets worse economy than the Toyota Highlander V6 and Honda Pilot, both of which are much larger.

When I was considering an SUV recently, I decided against Outback after considering it for a long time - if I'm going to get V8 fuel economy, I might as well get a V8. And I did

Sure - you can stick with the 168hp four, but it's only a competitor for the smallest SUVs like the Honda CR-V and Toyota RAV4, both of which - no surprise - get better fuel economy with their automatic transmissions than the Outback with its.

Subaru screwed up this time around.

M5Power
Subaru screwed up this time around.
Well, according to skip's signature, then at least people know Subaru's doing something!

That was bad. I'll stop now.

Hey, I just realized that if you use the regular (non-quick-reply) post box, it has two Submit and Preview buttons…

Sage
Well, according to skip's signature, then at least people know Subaru's doing something!

That was bad. I'll stop now.

Hey, I just realized that if you use the regular (non-quick-reply) post box, it has two Submit and Preview buttons…

You know what sucks? After saying all this crap about how Motor Trend was playing politics with Car of the Year, I just considered, and I'm 99% sure it's going to come down to Mustang vs. 300C for my own 2005 car of the year. Which is kind of interesting, since a Hemi (Durango) made it to the final three last year before being defeated by the 350Z convertible and Vue V6 for the championship. We all know who won that one - since I endlessly plug it, the sole benefit to being my Car of the Year. There used to be two benefits, but beginning in 2003, I stopped buying my cars of the year.

Though I've singlehandedly put two people into Vue V6s, while I don't even think I've ever mentioned the 350Z Roadster to a prospective buyer (though I owned one myself) so the benefits astound.

M5Power
Ahem.

05130051990002LRG.jpg

Should too.

So what you're trying to tell me is that a good engine in a par-for-the-course vehicle is better than a vehicle that's good across the board? I don't see the reasoning there.

SlipZtrEm
So what you're trying to tell me is that a good engine in a par-for-the-course vehicle is better than a vehicle that's good across the board?

Um, did I say that?

The Vue V6 is a competitive small SUV without the engine. When you add the engine, it's without question the very best small SUV ever. So I'd amend your statement - a great engine in a par-for-the-course vehicle is better than a vehicle that's only good all around. The Ford Escape has good pricing, good engines, good fuel economy, good interior room - but there's no standout feature. The Vue has the standout feature that the Escape lacks.

From what I have heard(my parents were looking at a vue for a while), the vue's build quality was not up to par. The equinox is supposedly a better choice. It doesn't look as funky and was built with a bit more respect.

Ah. Responding with a "should too" to my question about a definite win was a bit misleading, then. I just don't understand why somebody would think the Durango deserves a win just because it has a Hemi. The rest of the thing isn't anything special, while the LR3 is leaps and bounds ahead of its predecessor.

Mind you, the guys at MT tend to be idiots anyways, so I take their awards significantly less than serious.

Classic Anycar
TRUCK OF THE YEAR

Toyota Tacoma

Great choice. I don't like the new styling, I liked the older style but still a good choice. It was picked, CA, because it was nice looking got stuff done like it's supposed to be done and had good power for the size.:)

xcsti
From what I have heard(my parents were looking at a vue for a while), the vue's build quality was not up to par. The equinox is supposedly a better choice. It doesn't look as funky and was built with a bit more respect.

The Equinox isn't even in the same class, but let's say for a minute it is. It's:

- more expensive
- got less standard features
- got more expensive optional features
- got 75 less horsepower
- got a much louder engine
- not as quick
- not as fast
- got less rear head room
- getting worse fuel economy

In fact, I can't think of a single plus to the Equinox over the Vue. A more expensive vehicles buys you less power from a less refined engine and less features with less fuel economy? Weird.

I just don't understand why somebody would think the Durango deserves a win just because it has a Hemi.

It's the best large SUV on the market. The Hemi's not the sole reason, but it's not a bad engine, and Dodge has done very right with pricing. LR3 is leaps and bounds ahead of Discovery but still not up to par with class leaders.

M5Power
In fact, I can't think of a single plus to the Equinox over the Vue.
Well, at least the Equinox looks good. :D :D :D :D :D
M5Power
It's the best large SUV on the market. The Hemi's not the sole reason, but it's not a bad engine, and Dodge has done very right with pricing.
I vote for the Grand Cherokee. Very similar power train choices and platforms. But again, I think the Grand Cherokee actually looks like a pleasing car. The new Durango with it's big underbite front bumper and blah styling is just ugly. Sure, the Jeep isn't exactly "exciting" looking or anything. But, its not ugly like the Durango, if you ask me. And, all things equal between the two mechanically, I'll take a nice looking Jeep over ugly Dodge any day.

Hilg

I was just putting in my two cents, and I remember an autoweek review basically saying that the equinox is what the vue should have or could have been. My personal experience with saturns leads me to want to turn away from them.

My Picks-

Coupe Of The Year- Mazda RX-8

Hatchback Of The Year- Mitsubishi Colt

Hot Hatch of The Year- Seat Ibiza Cupra

Convertable of the Year- Mercedes SLK

Family Car Of The Year- Seat Altea

Estate/Wagon of The Year- Volvo V50

4X4 Of the Year- Porsche Cayenne

Sedan/Saloon Of The Year- Jaguar S-Type

Luxury Car Of The Year- Mercedes S-Class

OMG TAHT'S FASST!!!!111! Car Of The Year- Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR FQ 400

Surprise Of The Year- Kia's new Sportage recieving good reviews

Let-down of the Year- The Controversial BMW styling

JNasty4G63
I vote for the Grand Cherokee. Very similar power train choices and platforms. But again, I think the Grand Cherokee actually looks like a pleasing car. The new Durango with it's big underbite front bumper and blah styling is just ugly. Sure, the Jeep isn't exactly "exciting" looking or anything. But, its not ugly like the Durango, if you ask me. And, all things equal between the two mechanically, I'll take a nice looking Jeep over ugly Dodge any day.

For 2005 SUV of the year? Yeah - I'd probably vote for it too.

Can't really compare the Jeep and the Durango though - as much as Dodge and all the magazines want it to be, the Durango is simply not a midsize SUV. I mean, it's four inches longer than the Chevrolet Tahoe!

True. I was just going on mechanicals, but yea, the size is a big difference. I just think the Jeep is a better choice for SUVOTY. I mean, to me, it was a bummer when they replaced the old 360 V8 with the 4.7 in the last model. Nice engine, but the old 5.9 was just such a beast. The new Hemi is a much better choice. Almost makes me think about getting one. I sold my old 5.9 Limited to get a Rubicon earlier this year. If my fiance ever decides to get rid of the Denali, I would totally have to talk her into the new GC.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
True. I was just going on mechanicals, but yea, the size is a big difference. I just think the Jeep is a better choice for SUVOTY. I mean, to me, it was a bummer when they replaced the old 360 V8 with the 4.7 in the last model. Nice engine, but the old 5.9 was just such a beast. The new Hemi is a much better choice. Almost makes me think about getting one. I sold my old 5.9 Limited to get a Rubicon earlier this year. If my fiance ever decides to get rid of the Denali, I would totally have to talk her into the new GC.

You had a 5.9 Limited and a Talon TSi? Are you the Nebraskan version of me?

I've wanted a 5.9 Limited for some time but never got one - I fell in love with the 1997 Grand Cherokee TSi and bought one some time ago, though I sold it later. When I bought my Range Rover it literally came down to the Range Rover and the Grand Cherokee 5.9 - but the Rover got the nod because it has side airbags. Recently, however, I've found a group nearby that can retrofit side airbags - that opens the door to practically all of my dream vehicles (my dream vehicles are special editions of regular cars, like the two-door Isuzu Trooper or the Infiniti M30 convertible, or just rare cars like the Lincoln Blackwood and Hyundai XG300).

Unfortunately it doesn't look like my next purchase is going to be a Grand Cherokee 5.9 either - rapid though they were, the GMC Typhoon is a sure thing for me. Still, I'd love a Grand Cherokee 5.9 at some point - though I'm a bit put off by fuel economy. Not that a Typhoon will be any better.

M5Power
For 2005 SUV of the year? Yeah - I'd probably vote for it too.

Can't really compare the Jeep and the Durango though - as much as Dodge and all the magazines want it to be, the Durango is simply not a midsize SUV. I mean, it's four inches longer than the Chevrolet Tahoe!
:confused: I thought Dodge and all the magazines considered it a large SUV?

M5Power
You had a 5.9 Limited and a Talon TSi? Are you the Nebraskan version of me?
HA, could be. Yea, I loved my old 5.9 when I still had it. I got it new in '98, when they came out. I've had a Jeep in my possesion ever since I've been driving. My first vehicle was a '88 Crappy Cherokee. It was junk, but ran like a tank. I just love them, not sure exactly why. I never did get the point of the GC TSi though?? I saw them before, but what was special about them?? I just loved the big power the 5.9 had. Yea, it was pretty quick, but that wasn't why I got it. It recieved a mild lift and some 36" MTRs. Nothing crazy, but a fun piece offroad. It was just getting a lot of miles on it earlier this year, and the Rubicon is just too sweet to pass up. So I got rid of the 5.9 for a Black/Black Rubi. Didn't really need the extra room from the 5.9 now that I have a fiance with a Denali. So, its just the Talon and the Rubi for me, and the Denali and a soon to be replaced old Miata for her.

I did actually get close to buying a Syclone back in the day. There was one at a dealership here with only like 11k on it. But, I just didn't want another fast AWD vehicle. It would have just turned into another crazy project car for me, and that would just be too much. So, I passed. I love them, but just don't need one. I good friend of mine had a Ty in high school. I only rode in it a few times, but they are sweet machines. Its like a big mind bender when riding in them. Your brain says, "Ok, I'm in a truck" but your body is saying "HOLY CRAP, this is fast." Its a weird feel, but totally awesome.

Hilg

Back