Motor Trend Vehicles of the Year

JNasty4G63
HA, could be. Yea, I loved my old 5.9 when I still had it. I got it new in '98, when they came out. I've had a Jeep in my possesion ever since I've been driving. My first vehicle was a '88 Crappy Cherokee. It was junk, but ran like a tank. I just love them, not sure exactly why. I never did get the point of the GC TSi though?? I saw them before, but what was special about them??

Cool wheels and purple trim. :D

I did actually get close to buying a Syclone back in the day. There was one at a dealership here with only like 11k on it. But, I just didn't want another fast AWD vehicle.

You might kick yourself for that eventually. I've speculated that the price of the Typhoon and Syclone has bottomed out and their used values won't get any lower than today's average asking price of around $11000. In fact, I think that in 12-17 years, it'll be back up to where it was when new.

Yea, I'm sure I'll kick myself one of these days. They wanted like $23k for it. It was in excelent shape, and barely over 10k miles. Really was nice. But, I'm not much of a pickup guy, and like I said, I just didn't want another turbo AWD vehicle at the time. But man, they would be fun to have. And, thats funny about the Jeep TSi. Thats all that was different??? I did notice those few changes, but I guess I thought maybe there was something else different. HA, thats silly. OH well.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
And, thats funny about the Jeep TSi. Thats all that was different??? I did notice those few changes, but I guess I thought maybe there was something else different. HA, thats silly. OH well.

The thing is, TSi has been cool ever since the 1985 Chrysler Conquest TSi. Then they used it on the turbo Talon, my favorite performance-oriented used car under $5000, and the Eagle Vision, which debuted for the entire auto industry a manual-automatic transmission in 1996 (Porsche may have had it in 1995, but let's call that a minor detail). They passed it to the Jeep, which looked great - and dropped it in 1997 after just twelve years. One day it'll be back - you just watch

M5Power
.....and dropped it in 1997 after just twelve years.
They actually did make a few '98 Talons, so the TSi badge did live a little longer. And, I'm totally not knockin the TSi badge. Hell, I have one right now. And, yes, the Conquest was bad ass. I know the TSi history. I'm just saying its kind of silly on a Jeep. Especially if all thats different is cosmetic stuff. On the Talon, the TSi badge means you have the 4G63T, which is nice. But, for it to be on a Jeep with just nice trim and some cool wheels, thats kind of silly. That would be like Honda putting the "SI" on a car that only had a spoiler and some cool wheels.

Hilg

JNasty4G63
They actually did make a few '98 Talons, so the TSi badge did live a little longer. And, I'm totally not knockin the TSi badge. Hell, I have one right now. And, yes, the Conquest was bad ass. I know the TSi history. I'm just saying its kind of silly on a Jeep. Especially if all thats different is cosmetic stuff. On the Talon, the TSi badge means you have the 4G63T, which is nice. But, for it to be on a Jeep with just nice trim and some cool wheels, thats kind of silly. That would be like Honda putting the "SI" on a car that only had a spoiler and some cool wheels.

Hilg

Yeah, I guess it did technically continue in 1998. I guess Chrysler just wanted to explore the possibilities with the trim, hence the Jeep. I don't know why they cancelled Eagle in the first place - a performance division would be great right about now.

M5Power
I don't know why they cancelled Eagle in the first place - a performance division would be great right about now.
I think it was just getting to be a bit much. I mean, at the time they had Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler, Plymouth, and Eagle. It was a bit too many brands to have. Especially when many of the cars between brands were so similar, it was hard to tell them apart. I agree, it would be nice if they still had Eagle as the performance brand for the company. Kind of like how Pontiac is marketed as the performance division of GM. It would be cool.

They could have the Dodge cars as your basic cars brand (Chevy). The Chrysler cars as the more upscale and luxurious brand (Buick). And then, you'd have Eagle as the performance and sporty division (Pontiac). It would be cool, but sad that it almost certainly won't ever happen. I heard a while back that they were debating about bringing the brand back. But, its been many years and no other info. So Iassume they either changed their minds, or it was just wishful thinking in the first place. Who knows.

Hilg

Back