Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
That F3 crash at Austria is incredible.
I sincerely hope that driver was heavily punished there. He appears to totally ignore yellow flags and maintain race pace on the line through a totally opaque dust cloud.
One of the most dangerous things I've seen a driver do in awhile.

I sincerely hope that driver was heavily punished there. He appears to totally ignore yellow flags and maintain race pace on the line through a totally opaque dust cloud.

Yellow flags? I couldn't see any yellow flags in video posted.

You mean the guy in hospital with a surgically repaired foot and 4 broken vertebrae? He is serving his punishment.

Yellow flags? I couldn't see any yellow flags in video posted.
Watching it again, it appears you are correct, my mistake.

I assumed there would've been a yellow thrown immediately when the first car went off, but watching the spacing of the cars I would guess they were close enough he'd have been past the station by the time one came out anyways.

He was close enough that he surely must have seen the original off though. Granted, you might not be paying that too much mind in racing circumstances, but you'd want to at least keep track enough to not get collected if the car came back on awkwardly no?

Either way, Leroy Jenkins-ing into a dust cloud immediately following another car going off badly is not the most intelligent thing I've ever seen. It's even worse that the third car did basically the same thing...

You mean the guy in hospital with a surgically repaired foot and 4 broken vertebrae? He is serving his punishment.
Yeah he'd be the one. Thankfully everyone came out of this alive. Crash like that, it's hardly a sure thing even these days.

He might've come off the worst this time, but behaviour like that could've easily killed the driver in the first car, not to mention himself. His own injury here shouldn't let him escape answering for his reckless driving.

Watching it again, it appears you are correct, my mistake.

I assumed there would've been a yellow thrown immediately when the first car went off, but watching the spacing of the cars I would guess they were close enough he'd have been past the station by the time one came out anyways.

He was close enough that he surely must have seen the original off though. Granted, you might not be paying that too much mind in racing circumstances, but you'd want to at least keep track enough to not get collected if the car came back on awkwardly no?

Either way, Leroy Jenkins-ing into a dust cloud immediately following another car going off badly is not the most intelligent thing I've ever seen. It's even worse that the third car did basically the same thing...

He's going through a long lefthander with obstructed view of what's around the corner. He's confronted by a thick cloud of dust that floats over most of the gravel trap on his right and the part of the track that covers the racing line he is due to aim for a moments later. The dust must have been thick enough to obscure anything within the dust cloud since it's reported that he was still on full throttle only 5 meters from the point where he hit the near-stationary car at 120mph.

You never assume. Slowing down (safely) was the only correct thing to do in that situation.

Cars don't usually get out of gravel traps. In the few moments he had between seeing the dust cloud and entering the dust cloud he's bound to come to the conclusion that the dust is caused by a car that's embedded in the gravel somewhere. Not sat there on the racing line. Sharply coming off the throttle or braking when transitioning from a left turn to a right turn in quick succession is a sure-fire invitation to join that car in the gravel.

Cars don't usually get out of gravel traps. In the few moments he had between seeing the dust cloud and entering the dust cloud he's bound to come to the conclusion that the dust is caused by a car that's embedded in the gravel somewhere. Not sat there on the racing line. Sharply coming off the throttle or braking when transitioning from a left turn to a right turn in quick succession is a sure-fire invitation to join that car in the gravel.

Without an on board it's impossible to know what he saw before driving into the cloud but from our POV the track was covered in a dust cloud and as I say, you never assume, especially when the dust cloud is on the racing line. Anything could have been waiting and unfortunately for him, something was. You can't just assume the car is safely in the gravel.

It's a good couple of seconds before he arrives on the scene, he had time to at least scrub some of his speed.

Well that's one way to get an extreme haircut... or in this case, a trip to the chiropractor. And you can't even see it coming, the sudden character of it all is scary.

A solid 9.5/10 for that overtake.

I can't decide whether it was the flying pass itself or the way both drivers carried on like it was nothing that was the best bit.

He was close enough that he surely must have seen the original off though.
He might have seen a car go straight on and kick up dust from the gravel trap. 999 times out of 1000, a car in the gravel will either stay there or go straight through. Turning 90 degrees to the left is not exactly the most likely scenario there.

You never assume. Slowing down (safely) was the only correct thing to do in that situation.
As above, the car stopping where it did is a really, really low probability occurrence from how the situation started. People don't succeed as racing drivers if they slow down to account for every 1:10,000 outcome.

I'm a little disappointed I never grew up with Jackie Stewart as a pundit. Interesting video about the cars in the build up to qualifying for the 1986 Australian Grand Prix.

@daan Appears to be blank other than the text. Oops.

I have that problem on any forum that has an embedded tweet or embedded Facebook video. There's just a large blank space where the video is supposed to be.

It wouldn't load on any of my devices (2 phones, 1 tablet) or any web browser until recently, they now randomly work in Explorer and Chrome, but not Firefox.

Regarding the F3 Austria crash and the dust cloud. I've never been in a situation anything close to that, but I have been in situations where I was driving and had to go through a sudden dust cloud or whiteout in a snow storms. In those instances, you do not stop as the person behind will not be able to see and will run into you. You keep going and hope the person in front came to the same conclusion. I don't know if that was the thinking there, or if there was even time and room for any type of thought, or even what the standard is for that situation in racing, but I don't believe the driver should have stopped in the midst of a no-visibility dust cloud.

Roo
These are just regular, everyday race car crashes. What's interesting enough about them to warrant posting them in this thread?

Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness, surely?

Back