Motorsport OMG / WTF moments - Racing Funnies, Fails, Crashes, And Randomness

• Thread starter Furinkazen
  • 5,373 comments
prisonermonkeys - That wet Sydney 500 is great!

The best end to any championship ever. There was so much going into this one. Classic Cleland.

9:00 for OBCs and other views. In general, SpenAgain's crash logs themselves are great footage but this controversial clash... Soper's a very naughty boy.

Excellent vids MazdaPrice. BTCC was awesome back then. The earliest BTCC I can remember was around 94-95, which was a shame because I was interested in motorsport long before then. I missed out big time. Especially seeing as how I eventually became a Cleland fan and was born 6 miles away from him (and also only a few miles from Colin McRae).

Some classic Murray moments in there too. "I'm going for first says John Cleland" and "Back off says John".

Excellent vids MazdaPrice. BTCC was awesome back then. The earliest BTCC I can remember was around 94-95, which was a shame because I was interested in motorsport long before then. I missed out big time. Especially seeing as how I eventually became a Cleland fan and was born 6 miles away from him (and also only a few miles from Colin McRae).

Some classic Murray moments in there too. "I'm going for first says John Cleland" and "Back off says John".

I own 1991-1992, (did have 1993 & 1994 but sadly lost), 1995-2001 on VHS, and most of them and more are all available from your local video hosting site. The crash logs date from 1987 onwards; magic.

The best end to any championship ever. There was so much going into this one. Classic Cleland.

9:00 for OBCs and other views. In general, SpenAgain's crash logs themselves are great footage but this controversial clash... Soper's a very naughty boy.

lmao @ "Is this stock car racing or is this motorsport?" So true...so true.

People always leave out the rest of the race prior to that contact - Soper was on an amazing charge through the field after being spun out on the first lap.
I also don't get why people choose to blame Soper when Cleland already started the contact when he went on 2 wheels! Both were to blame equally, Cleland for making it close and personal and Soper for actually taking themselves both out.

Ardius
People always leave out the rest of the race prior to that contact - Soper was on an amazing charge through the field after being spun out on the first lap.
I also don't get why people choose to blame Soper when Cleland already started the contact when he went on 2 wheels! Both were to blame equally, Cleland for making it close and personal and Soper for actually taking themselves both out.

You're spot on, Soper's charge was epic and that's what makes the race more special. Andy Rouse's final win, too.

Helped by Soper through Bridge and Priory or not, Harvey would still be champion; he was already ahead of Cleland and Soper just...'made sure', shall we say.

I feel sorry for Hoy in a way. Harvey totally ran him off the track out of Copse towards the end of the race in a manner that makes James Thompson look like James May.

Still, it's arguably the best touring car race considering what was at stake: the title, final race, 3 drivers dicing it out, Soper's fightback, final corner on the penultimate lap, Rouse's last win from the impressive David Leslie. Magic.

My WTF moment should be the Audi R18H. I mean why hybrid p1. Thats why im interested in F1 now due ro regulations.

Le Mans is all about pushing new technologies that can be applicable to the average road car down the line. Dr. Ulrich of Audi specifically uses this reason as to why sports car racing makes more sense than F1. In sports cars, the cars are the stars. Audi, Peugeot, and Toyota understand that. How many people talk about the Toyota GT-One or the Porsche 962 compared to the formula cars of the time? Quite a bit more I'd say.

And it's a brilliant idea for Audi to go that route, now that diesels are given a severe handicap in terms of fuel tank allotment. Just because it's a hybrid doesn't make it a slow, granny shopping car. As Audi and Peugeot have proved with diesels, all it takes is innovation and the drive to improve to show what can be done. I won't be surprised if the hybrid machines are the most dominant in 2-3 years.

Racing is also about pushing the envelope, not just prodding around in the status quo.

Quite disappointed with the ignorance of that statement....
Why go hybrid? Because it's the future of road going technology and you can bet your backside that hybrids will still lap Le Mans faster than the gasoline or diesel cars and use less fuel than ever before. That's the beauty of sportscar racing, many different solutions to the one problem not the largely spec nature of Formula 1....

That was great! :lol:

Anything like that now-a-days, & there's a 5 figure fine on your end. :scared:

My WTF moment should be the Audi R18H. I mean why hybrid p1. Thats why im interested in F1 now due ro regulations.

Oh the irony.

Multiple sources are suggesting that Audi are running a flybrid system rather than your 'typical' Hybrid system, which is more than likely true considering Ulrich Baretzky's involvement in the project. This means that the system is likely to be similar to the Porsche 911 GT3 R Hybrid that has run in the Nurburgring 24 and numerous other races.

That car featured Hybrid technology that was first developed by the Williams F1 team (can you see where I'm going yet?), that system is a form KERS. I'm sorry but where is KERS used? Oh wait F1.

Yes, that means F1 is using the same technology as the Audi prototype you just claimed was a 'WTF Moment'...

Those remind me of the Koni/Continental Tire Challenge Subaru displaying the advantage of AWD:

And the late Colin McRae showing the US Rally boys that just because you roll the car over, it doesn't mean the race is over. Colin got second place here.

nitrorocks
Lol so true.......he never learns does he? Just takes risks and breaks himself over and over

He crashes in almost every race. He's lucky not to be dead or severely broken from the 2011 season.

No violence or gore here. Just some pretty...crazy...commentators...:odd:

(Yes, I know this is not a *motor* sport, but it is still a sport, on wheels. :sly: )

EDIT: Just to make sure that I stay on topic here :dopey: :

No violence or gore here. Just some pretty...crazy...commentators...:odd:

(Yes, I know this is not a *motor* sport, but it is still a sport, on wheels. :sly: )

Well...so much for unbiased reporting.

For you anti-Viper people...this is why you have to remember to make sure the tires are secure on the car BEFORE it leaves the pits to start the race:

And Walter Brun's big crash in the Chamberlin Viper in 2000

'97 LeMans Viper burst into flames and officials struggle to put it out:

Lotus Burning '10 N24:

Last edited:
Back