Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Bottom photo is 1970 Nurburgring 1000km, Porsche 908/3 and I'll go with Brian Redman (it's not Jo Siffert as he had a Swiss flag design on his helmet).

Who: Jackie Oliver
What: Lotus 48-Cosworth F2 (Jim Clark death car)
Where: Nurburgring
When: 1967 German Grand Prix,
nope on who and what...correct on German GP. Oliver's helmet is Brown.

WWWW Who What When Where

72r el f5000 brian redman chevron b24 paddock.jpg

WWWW my picture..I'll keep my pix and posts here rather than Classic thread as there are MANY of us who follow both.

As a hint here is another picture....same where and when.
72r el f5000 tony dean mclaren m14a.jpg

the driver of the bottom car as he was using a brand new Bell Starr he took delivery of on the race Friday.
72r el f5000 tony dean in paddock.jpg

At the opening round of the 1989 BTC championship Murray Walker says, when talking about Gerrit van Kouwen's Sierra, "And Gerrit is running unleaded fuel, don't forget!"

Were pump-fuel motorsports still using leaded fuel as late as 1990? I can't say I remember when leaded fuel was phased out but I would have thought motorsports would have been quicker to switch to unleaded than production vehicles.

View attachment 645824
WWWW my picture..I'll keep my pix and posts here rather than Classic thread as there are MANY of us who follow both.

As a hint here is another picture....same where and when.
View attachment 645826

the driver of the bottom car as he was using a brand new Bell Starr he took delivery of on the race Friday.View attachment 645827

Top picture is Brian Redman, Chevron B24, Road America, 1972.
Lower picture is Tony Dean, McLaren M14A.

At the opening round of the 1989 BTC championship Murray Walker says, when talking about Gerrit van Kouwen's Sierra, "And Gerrit is running unleaded fuel, don't forget!"

Were pump-fuel motorsports still using leaded fuel as late as 1990? I can't say I remember when leaded fuel was phased out but I would have thought motorsports would have been quicker to switch to unleaded than production vehicles.
I can't speak for the BTCC but, the Australian Touring Car Championship allowed 100 octane Avgas prior to 1 August 1987. It smelled wonderful and was good.
From then on, they had to run 98 octane Unleaded.
It wasn't until around 2007/2008 that Supercars mandated cars had to run on an Ethanol blend.

img_4757-jpg.647731

Here is an article selecting the top six F1 drivers who never won a World Championship. I, of course, would add Dan Gurney and Giles Villeneuve, but they did it based on points , not ability.
http://buff.ly/2pnBiyY

and who is in the picture... one of the most simply elegant helmets of all time.

I can't speak for the BTCC but, the Australian Touring Car Championship allowed 100 octane Avgas prior to 1 August 1987. It smelled wonderful and was good.
From then on, they had to run 98 octane Unleaded.
It wasn't until around 2007/2008 that Supercars mandated cars had to run on an Ethanol blend.

Isn't avgas a type of aviation fuel? That's an interesting concoction to put in a car.

Isn't avgas a type of aviation fuel? That's an interesting concoction to put in a car.

Indeed, but pre-unleaded it was used in a good number of race cars as I recall. A very good idea as long as it only burns in the places you want it to :)

Which manufacturer made this abandoned project for F1?
View attachment 648419

It's a Moskvitch, never intended for racing in F1 "proper" but rather Soviet Formula 1 which, as the link notes, wasn't really a strict formula.

EDIT: No... maybe not... dammit...

EDIT EDIT: Searched Google for the page where I saw this car years ago, can't find it, have found this car pictured and named as a Moskvitch (like what I originally said) but also as something else. I can't say what as that would make me a cheat, I'll leave that for somebody else :D

It is the Moskvitch G3

!! :D !!

Here's a quicky question as I don't have anything prepared... which circuit has held the greatest number of F1 races of differing nationality? (As an example Magny-Cours has held the French Grand Prix only).

Indianapolis has hosted the Indy 500 and the United States Grand Prix
Imola has hosted the Italian Grand Prix and the San Marino Grand Prix

And to be fair, a lot of other tracks have hosted the European Grand Prix when it was an honourary designation; Aintree, Österreichring, Reims, Spa, Monaco, Zandvoort and Monza.

Can't think of one with more than three though.

On the same thought train as the European designation, have any American tracks played host to the "West Coast US GP" for example as well as their city name? There was a "Pacific" race in Japan as well, but I think that was only because Suzuka exists to take the Japanese GP that season!

IMSA Trivia!

IMG_0258.JPG

In 2015, at the final event of the Tudor United Sportscar Championship, how many laps did the race winning #911 Porsche 911 RSR of Nick Tandy, Patrick Pilet, and Richard Lietz complete?

Ickx, Matra-Ford.
And it was an F2 car as the F1 grid was so small they allowed their smaller brethren to make up their numbers. Some say that this drive that weekend got Ickx his Ferrari drive the next year.Which he held for seemingly forever.

Formula Two would once again be invited to the Grand Prix of Germany, and the headlines were almost set by one of their contingent during qualifying.[1] Young Belgian racer Jacky Ickx set a stunning time with his Matra-Ford Cosworth to claim third on the grid, only just edged out by Denny Hulme in second.[1]Yet, both would be denied pole, and the headlines, by a stunning lap from Clark, with the Scot taking pole by almost ten second.[1]

Unfortunately, the chance to start on the front row would be denied to Ickx, who had to start at the back of the field with the rest of his F2 colleagues.[1] At the start it was Clark who went streaking into the lead, a stark contrast to teammate Graham Hill who was sent spinning on the run onto the Nordschleife.[1]

And it was an F2 car as the F1 grid was so small they allowed their smaller brethren to make up their numbers. Some say that this drive that weekend got Ickx his Ferrari drive the next year.Which he held for seemingly forever.

Formula Two would once again be invited to the Grand Prix of Germany, and the headlines were almost set by one of their contingent during qualifying.[1] Young Belgian racer Jacky Ickx set a stunning time with his Matra-Ford Cosworth to claim third on the grid, only just edged out by Denny Hulme in second.[1]Yet, both would be denied pole, and the headlines, by a stunning lap from Clark, with the Scot taking pole by almost ten second.[1]

Unfortunately, the chance to start on the front row would be denied to Ickx, who had to start at the back of the field with the rest of his F2 colleagues.[1] At the start it was Clark who went streaking into the lead, a stark contrast to teammate Graham Hill who was sent spinning on the run onto the Nordschleife.[1]
I'm interested to know if Ickx beat any of the F1 runners and, if the information is available, what his fastest lap time was compared to the F1 fastest lap.

I'm interested to know if Ickx beat any of the F1 runners and, if the information is available, what his fastest lap time was compared to the F1 fastest lap.
Ickx retired lap 12 with suspension failure, but not before rising to 4th overall. His fastest lap was 8:21.8. Fastest F1 lap was Gurney (Eagle) 8:15.1.

That is a pretty good guess. My own knowledge is not exact, but the early fifties is indeed the time period it happened.

By 1950, most of cars on the grid were qualifying with Stu Hilborn's amazingly simple fuel injection system due to 10% greater power, but racing with Riley carburetors due to greater mileage exploited by the tires available at the time. As tire technology changed and pits stops grew more frequent, it made better sense to run fuel injection at all times. So by 1953, all cars were running fuel injection during the race. My best quick analysis of period photographs leads me to conclude Lee Wallard won the 1951 event in a Kurtis-Offenhauser upright sprint car type (not a roadster) with Riley carbs, and was the last to do so. He qualified at 135 mph and his winning average was 126 mph.

^ Behold that incredible front axle!

Ickx retired lap 12 with suspension failure, but not before rising to 4th overall. His fastest lap was 8:21.8. Fastest F1 lap was Gurney (Eagle) 8:15.1.
I know the Nordschleife (especially the old pre-'70 version) wasn't known for a lot of 100% throttle & more for handling but, I can imagine the embarrassment of being in an F1 with a flying F2 in front of you :embarrassed:
No doubt Ickx announced to everyone there that he was the real deal.

Thanks @Dotini :cheers:

I know the Nordschleife (especially the old pre-'70 version) wasn't known for a lot of 100% throttle & more for handling but, I can imagine the embarrassment of being in an F1 with a flying F2 in front of you :embarrassed:
No doubt Ickx announced to everyone there that he was the real deal.

Thanks @Dotini :cheers:
The car in question was the Matra MS-7. And in order to compete it was forced to ADD weight to comply with F1 regs. It was raced by Matra in in F1 in 67/68/69 on various occasions by Jean-Pierre Beltoise and Johnny Servoz-Gavin. The Ickx entry in 67 at the ring was a Ken Tyrrell entry. Rember Tyrrell and Matra entered F1 the following year with the MS9 (at South Africa, and then the MS-10 for the remainder of the year, with Sir Jackie driving, with Cosworth DFVs in the back). It was instantaneously competitive with anything on the track. The Ms7's surfaced at the German GP every year through 69 because they were nimble as hell. They were NOT eligible for world championship points .

Over the years it DOMINATED F2, and in F1 it sprouted wings just like the rest. I was in the grand stand at the 90 at the Glen in 67 and still remember the little screaming Matra driven by JP Beltoise.

The MS9 was driven only at South African GP and to my knowledge was the only time a Tyrrell was driven in other than blue from 68 on.

MATRA MS7 Cosworth FVA
image.jpeg

MATRA MS9 Cosworth DFV South Africa 68
image.jpeg

MATRA MS10 Cosworth DFV and right MATRA MS 11 Matra V-12 the most astounding sounding F1 car.....ever.
image.jpg

The car in question was the Matra MS-7. And in order to compete it was forced to ADD weight to comply with F1 regs. It was raced by Matra in in F1 in 67/68/69 on various occasions by Jean-Pierre Beltoise and Johnny Servoz-Gavin. The Ickx entry in 67 at the ring was a Ken Tyrrell entry. Rember Tyrrell and Matra entered F1 the following year with the MS9 (at South Africa, and then the MS-10 for the remainder of the year, with Sir Jackie driving, with Cosworth DFVs in the back). It was instantaneously competitive with anything on the track. The Ms7's surfaced at the German GP every year through 69 because they were nimble as hell. They were NOT eligible for world championship points .

Over the years it DOMINATED F2, and in F1 it sprouted wings just like the rest. I was in the grand stand at the 90 at the Glen in 67 and still remember the little screaming Matra driven by JP Beltoise.

The MS9 was driven only at South African GP and to my knowledge was the only time a Tyrrell was driven in other than blue from 68 on.

MATRA MS7 Cosworth FVA
View attachment 649516

MATRA MS9 Cosworth DFV South Africa 68
View attachment 649518
MATRA MS10 Cosworth DFV and right MATRA MS 11 Matra V-12 the most astounding sounding F1 car.....ever.View attachment 649519
When you consider the F2 of the era were 1.6 producing around 220bhp, I'm surprised they had to add weight to race the more powerful 3.0 litre F1.
Makes me wonder what Ickx would've done in a truly legal F2.

Latest Posts

Back