Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Off the top of my head:

Jo Winkelhock has 7 entries and 0 starts.
Pedro Chaves has 13 entries and 0 starts.

They have to be some kind of failure record, if not a retirement record.

Well, if that is the standard of worse-ness, then nobody is worse that Alex Soler-Roig. six starts, six retirements.

@Liquid Claudio Langes, 14 DNPQ's
Yep, Alex Soler-Roig started 6 Grand Prix's and finished none of them. Can Lance Stroll overtake his record in Canada? He's 3 for 3 at the moment.

Identify this car. It is being driven by one of the most gifted drivers who ever raced and won - gifted in terms of bravery, reflexes, coordination and balance, but sadly lacking in imagination and judgment. I was privileged to see his amazing car control on several occasions. One of a kind.

Identify the manufacturer of the car.

Last edited:
@Dotini, I advise downloading the images, changing the file name and reuploading ;)
Nah, my questions are usually too hard.

Another Clue: This driver is the first man to win a race in Cobra, in a King Cobra, and in a Shelby Daytona Cobra Coupe. These are all crazy difficult cars to drive, at least on the street. I know - I've driven my cousin Karl's Cobra.

To win this question, you must identify the manufacture of the car.
Hint: It's not Chevrolet.

Last edited:
I rember the "flat top"
hair...MacDonald. and due to the later Shelby influnce ...Shelby perhaps or Jim Hall?

Yes, the driver is Dave MacDonald. The car is a Special made by Jim Simpson and Max Balchowsky of Old Yaller I and II fame. He terrorized west coast sports car racing for a couple of years before he was drafted into Shelby's team.
corvettespecial19.jpg

This photo was from the following week at Kent and shows Dave MacDonald & Dan Gurney shooting the breeze before the
race. Dan was entered in a Lotus 19. In this race Dave was running 3rd behind Gurney and Masten Gregory when he went out
on lap 17 with mechanical troubles. It was the last time he ran the car. Photo MacDonald Family

dave%20macdonald%20dan%20gurney%20corvette%20special%20kent%201962.jpg

Maybe I'm one of those spectators in the background.

http://www.davemacdonald.net/gallery/closeups/corvettespecial2a.htm

Last edited:
View attachment 642130

WWWW( who..both drivers, when, where , what car)
Jo Bonnier, Graham Hill, 1964 12 Hours of Reims, Ferrari 250 LM (Winners overall).

I've seen both of these guys race (at Kent, WA), Bonnier in a flat-8 Porsche sports car, and Hill in a Lotus 23. The phlegmatic Hill drove like some kind of human metronome. His line was always perfect, totally controlled, always the same, within an inch it seemed. 100% opposite of Dave MacDonald.

Last edited:
I am already a fan before the start of this race. The red car awoke us ( comfy in our sleeping bag) at odarkthirty. I ran, not walked to see Choughari(sp?)and Bandini testing the new V-12. Hooked I was. My first race of any kind. The Glen 1966.
IMG_4445.JPG

and here is Clark giving the Lotus BRM H-16 the best ride of its life off the line. And the H-16s ONLY win.
IMG_4449.JPG

I am already a fan before the start of this race. The red car awoke us ( comfy in our sleeping bag) at odarkthirty. I ran, not walked to see Choughari(sp?)and Bandini testing the new V-12. Hooked I was. My first race of any kind. The Glen 1966.
View attachment 642142
and here is Clark giving the Lotus BRM H-16 the best ride of its life off the line. And the H-16s ONLY win.
View attachment 642143
I watched a video recently that has Tony Rudd pondering a thought, asking what would've happened had Colin Chapman & Ford liked his H16 and invested in it instead of the DFV?
How different would F1 history have been had that have happened?

I am doubtful that in the long run the H16 would have been as successful as the DFV. Certainly not that the H16 would have become a ubiquitous unit lasting until 1983 and derivatives until 1989.

I am doubtful that in the long run the H16 would have been as successful as the DFV. Certainly not that the H16 would have become a ubiquitous unit lasting until 1983 and derivatives until 1989.
I agree. There certainly wouldn't have been any ground effects with that great lump in the way :lol:

I watched a video recently that has Tony Rudd pondering a thought, asking what would've happened had Colin Chapman & Ford liked his H16 and invested in it instead of the DFV?
I recall that at the time BRM were fooling around with their truly terrible H-16, they published a vision of the F1 car of the future. It was 4wd, using a gas turbine engine driving hydraulically to each wheel.

As a schoolboy, I loved BRM, much as I loved JFK.

As I got older and wiser, I learned how compromised both were.

"Juan Manuel Fangio was famed for winning a race at the slowest speed possible"

I've read this a lot but is there any truth in it? What was the reasoning for him doing it if he did?

To evaluate this I took three random Fangio victories on short circuits; Monte-Carlo, Bremgarten and Rouen:

In the 1950 Monegasque Grand Prix he won by a full lap.
In the 1954 Swiss Grand Prix he won by 57 seconds.
In the 1957 French Grand Prix he won by 50 seconds.

Long circuits like Monza, Spa and Nürburgring by their very nature would have big winning gaps but if he was winning by the gaps above on short circuits, and he was apparently winning as slow as he could, just how slow were the rest of the field in comparison?

And let's not forget that when the chips were down in the '57 German Grand Prix and he drove the skin off his Maserati because he had to he broke the lap record nine times in succession and his fastest lap was 11 seconds faster than the next fastest lap.

So when and why did he drive slowly?

"Juan Manuel Fangio was famed for winning a race at the slowest speed possible"

I've read this a lot but is there any truth in it? What was the reasoning for him doing it if he did?

To evaluate this I took three random Fangio victories on short circuits; Monte-Carlo, Bremgarten and Rouen:

In the 1950 Monegasque Grand Prix he won by a full lap.
In the 1954 Swiss Grand Prix he won by 57 seconds.
In the 1957 French Grand Prix he won by 50 seconds.

Long circuits like Monza, Spa and Nürburgring by their very nature would have big winning gaps but if he was winning by the gaps above on short circuits, and he was apparently winning as slow as he could, just how slow were the rest of the field in comparison?

And let's not forget that when the chips were down in the '57 German Grand Prix and he drove the skin off his Maserati because he had to he broke the lap record nine times in succession and his fastest lap was 11 seconds faster than the next fastest lap.

So when and why did he drive slowly?
I thought it was Brabham who quipped about winning at the slowest possible speed. :confused:

But Fangio did believe in driving slowly - when he had a passenger in the car. Early in his career when he was competing in a trans-continental event in South America, his car went over a cliff and his friend and co-pilot was killed. Henceforth, in long distance races like the Mille Miglia he drove solo, even though it handicapped him, simply because he did not want to unnecessarily jeopardize someone else's life.

Last edited:
The only driver to adamantly believe in driving at the fastest possible speed at all time was Terrible Teddy Tetzlaff.

He won some races and set some speed records, but died young.

The only driver to adamantly believe in driving at the fastest possible speed at all time was Terrible Teddy Tetzlaff.

He won some races and set some speed records, but died young.
Well he did live to 46. That's quite a bit higher than the average motorsport fatalities.

Back