Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Montreal...I sat on the absolute line with the apex from 1982ish till 2004. At first our seats were OVER the exit barrier and you could walk about 50 feet to the left and look down in the cockpits. The sound was....orgasmic. Sure do wish I lived in Vermont:(

This is one of my favorite pictures of all time. An easy wwww
IMG_4972.JPG

image.jpeg
you guys are sharp or, more likely, have fast Google fingers. That was an obscure one. I'd forgotten " The Red Five" thanks for reviving long scrambled memories.

Not an antique...but I appreciate that the little boy that told Ron Dennis..."I will drive for you" has come so far.

Four drivers have the distinction of setting Pole Position in their first Grand Prix.

Giuseppe Farina did it at Silverstone 1950.

Name the other three & where they started first on the grid.

Bonus points for the time they set & what they were driving.

*EDITED to reflect information brought to my attention by @Ryk

Last edited:
I guess we ignore the 50's era Indy 500 drivers.

But let me add a Former Indy 500 winner and everyone's favourite Canadian driver from Canadaland,,

Jacques 🤬 Villeneuve for Williams at sunny Albert Park 1996 on New Zealand's West Island.

(Edited to see if clown-shoes Ryk, can do these emoticonoji doodahs...)
(No - No he can't)

Last edited:
Three drivers have the distinction of setting Pole Position in their first Grand Prix.

Giuseppe Farina did it at Silverstone 1950.

Name the other two & where they started first on the grid.

Bonus points for the time they set & what they were driving.
Ryk
I guess we ignore the 50's era Indy 500 drivers.

But let me add a Former Indy 500 winner and everyone's favourite Canadian driver from Canadaland,,

Jacques (Censored) Villeneuve for Williams at sunny Albert Park 1996
@Ryk is 100% correct with the above & I totally forgot about JV so, that's a total of four drivers with Pole on debut :embarrassed:

That leaves two still to be named.

Carlos Reutamann was on home soil in the Argentine when he got his first pole in his first F1 race.
Buenos Aries #9 -
Brabham "Lobster claw" BT34 - Cosworth in

Mario Andretti at Watkins Glen, 1968, driving a Lotus-Cosworth at 1:04.20.
Ryk
Carlos Reutamann was on home soil in the Argentine when he got his first pole in his first F1 race.
Buenos Aries #9 -
Brabham "Lobster claw" BT34 - Cosworth in
Well done guys 👍

Carlos Reutemann outqualified the reigning World Champion, Jackie Stewart, with a 1:12:46.

I wonder how long will it be before we see the next rookie start first?

I wonder how long will it be before we see the next rookie start first?
Mario and Carlos were making their F1 debut on their familiar home circuits and driving kit cars with as much power as anyone else. So it could happen again if local star drivers were allowed to race in cars equal to all the others. It likely would take pretty awful economic difficulties and subsequent formula rule changes for that to happen.

Mario and Carlos were making their F1 debut on their familiar home circuits and driving kit cars with as much power as anyone else. So it could happen again if local star drivers were allowed to race in cars equal to all the others. It likely would take pretty awful economic difficulties and subsequent formula rule changes for that to happen.
If only Formula One was so competitive & open again :rolleyes:

IMG_5013.JPG

Year, model ( be chassis specific) engine ( and its origin), driver(s) and races it tried to qually for and actually raced in.

I read about this just the other day. I don't know the year so I'm guessing it's 68-69 by the look of the car. It was Alfa sports car factory driver Andrea de Adamich with McLaren M7D with the Alfa V8.

Looks like a street circuit in the picture so I'll go either Monaco or Montjuic Park in Spain.

View attachment 655755
What is it and did it ever race. And what famous Scottish team
participated in its creation

The car in the photo is the 1962 Tojeiro-Ecosse Coupe AKA the Tojeiro EE.

Ecurie Ecosse commissioned John Tojeiro's engineering firm to build a mid-engined, rear-wheel drive Sportscar for the 1962 season, with the car being one of the very first mid-engined closed-cockpit sportscars built. It was powered by a Buick-based V8 and it ran at Le Man's in 1962, but financial troubles and a self-imposed tax exile of founder David Murray effectively ended the original team's competitive era by the end of the year.

Motorsport Magazine did a pretty nice piece on the car and test-drove the only car in existence a long time ago, which is why I remembered it.

The car in the photo is the 1962 Tojeiro-Ecosse Coupe AKA the Tojeiro EE.

Ecurie Ecosse commissioned John Tojeiro's engineering firm to build a mid-engined, rear-wheel drive Sportscar for the 1962 season, with the car being one of the very first mid-engined closed-cockpit sportscars built. It was powered by a Buick-based V8 and it ran at Le Man's in 1962, but financial troubles and a self-imposed tax exile of founder David Murray effectively ended the original team's competitive era by the end of the year.

Motorsport Magazine did a pretty nice piece on the car and test-drove the only car in existence a long time ago, which is why I remembered it.
Awesome post...I pulled the car from Twitter and knew its name and year but that was all. Thanks for filling in the blanks!!

Back