Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
166478589.jpg

Okay - The corner in the background is named after which Le Mans Winning driver.

Bit of detective work - but I know you lot are good for it.

----

Edit

Jimlaad43 got it. Virage Rosier. Louis Rosier won Le Mans 1950 in a Talbot, driving for all but 2 laps... his son picked up the slack and drove those two laps for a father/son victory.

1966 Clermont-Ferrand during the making of the film Grand Prix, So not the actual French Grand Prix (Which was at Reims-Gueux) - I can't ID the people at this range. Pop Starlet Francoise Hardy is easy, Looks like Siffert's Red Helmet for sure.

Last edited:
I was thinking no pole positions in his title win but I think Lauda did the same in 1984.

Question for you all, and it's not necessarily a quiz because I don't know the answer.

When did a Mini last race in the BTCC?

Question for you all, and it's not necessarily a quiz because I don't know the answer.

At least 1979 because the title was won by Richard Longman in a Mini that year.

They changed the class formulae not long after that so I'd say 1982 at the very latest.

Wiki has it as 1981 with Tim Goss as driver in a 1275GT. By the end of the season he had switched to a Metro.

The 1981 BTCC season was also the last year Stirling Moss competed as a professional. He drove an Audi 80 alongside Martin Brundle

What did Denny Hulme not do that all other F1 Champions did?
Hulme failed to score a pole position in the northern hemisphere. Many times he qualified on the front row, but his sole pole position came in South Africa, 1973, very late in his career.

Not only no pole positions, did he never start from the front row in his 1967 title winning season?
That's pretty much as close to the answer as i'm going to get. He's the only champion to never score a pole position in a season he won.

Niki Lauda was World Champion in 1984. He had no pole positions in that title year, and he wasn't even on the front row.
@Jimlaad43, I'd say you've done a fairly poor job of administering your trivia question.
I said never did. Lauda won championships in 1975 and 1977 and scored pole positions in them. That's why Liquid's first response was close but not quite there.

I know from interviews I've read & watched with Lauda, that during his time at McLaren, from the time his car was rolled out of the transporter, his focus was on setting the car up for the race.

I don't have the exact quote but, it was something along the lines of, "They give points for the race, not qualifying."

I know from interviews I've read & watched with Lauda, that during his time at McLaren, from the time his car was rolled out of the transporter, his focus was on setting the car up for the race.

I don't have the exact quote but, it was something along the lines of, "They give points for the race, not qualifying."
Wasn't McLaren kinda playing favorites at that time with Prost? I'd think that also contributed to Lauda's abysmal qualifying stats.

Wasn't McLaren kinda playing favorites at that time with Prost? I'd think that also contributed to Lauda's abysmal qualifying stats.
Ferrari, Lotus, Renault and Brabham in addition to McLaren all scored strongly in poles that year. A certain heavy-footed Brazilian named Nelson scored a crushing number!

I can't say as it's before I started watching F1.
Ferrari, Lotus, Renault and Brabham in addition to McLaren all scored strongly in poles that year. A certain heavy-footed Brazilian named Nelson scored a crushing number!
Ah yes. Remember the days when it was a lot more competitive...
Something sadly missing in recent times :indiff:

Ah yes. Remember the days when it was a lot more competitive...
Something sadly missing in recent times :indiff:
In that silver age, we had a quartet of legendary stars all racking up big numbers - Prost, Piquet, Mansell and Lauda, soon joined by a 5th, another Brazilian named Ayrton Senna. I had the great pleasure of watching them all in person. These were the towering giants of the time, plus the lost genius of Villeneuve. But after all they were only men, and the occasional sneaky journeyman like Watson or Rosberg could be seen at the top of the podium. Those were mostly good times. :)

Last edited:
In that silver age, we had a quartet of legendary stars all racking up big numbers - Prost, Piquet, Mansell and Lauda, soon joined by a 5th, another Brazilian named Ayrton Senna. I had the great pleasure of watching them all in person. These were the towering giants of the time, plus the lost genius of Villeneuve. But after all they were only men, and the occasional sneaky journeyman like Watson or Rosberg could be seen at the top of the podium. Those were mostly good times. :)
Yes, all former, current (for the time) or future Champions & all with cars capable of victory.

Latest Posts

Back