Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Hint: the missing drivers in question did their Triple Crown event winnings sometime in the 60's, 80's and 90's respectively.

Michael Andretti?

Definitely raced at Monaco, unsure about Le Mans; must have raced a Corvette or Viper.

But is this the Andretti curse where he's never won the Indy 500 despite being a very successful champ car racer?
Looks like Michael drove a Porsche a few times at Le Mans in the early/mid 80s.

Danny Sullivan?
Michele Alboreto?
Dan Guerney?

Last edited:
Looks like Michael drove a Porsche a few times at Le Mans in the early/mid 80s.

Danny Sullivan?
Michele Alboreto?
Dan Guerney?
Danny Sullivan and Michele Alboreto - YES!
Dan Gurney is already on our list.

@Liquid Not Michael Andretti. But we are missing one American to complete the list.

Masten Gregory - BRM driver and born in the 29th of February

---------------

Number 13.
Three drivers have used this number at a race weekend since 1950 in Formula 1.

Which driver of this trio used the largest engine displacement while driving car number 13?

Last edited:
Ryk
Masten Gregory - BRM driver and born in the 29th of February
Correct. Although the Kansas Flash seldom drove for the unlucky BRM outfit. His highest finish at Monaco was 3rd in 1957 in a Maserati 250F, He scored a class win at Le Mans in a Porsche in '61 and overall winner in '65 with Rindt in a Ferrari 250LM. He had one DNF score in a BRP at Indy, '64. One of his more celebrated wins was the Nurburgring 1000km in '61 driving a birdcage Maserati with "Lucky" Casner.

Last edited:
Ryk
Number 13.
Three drivers have used this number at a race weekend since 1950 in Formula 1.

Which driver of this trio used the largest engine displacement while driving car number 13?
Duane Carter, horsing a 4.5 liter Offenhauser, #13, at the 1950 Indy 500. In 1950 and 1951, Indy cars and F1 cars ran under essentially identical rules for unsupercharged cars, as well as both qualifying for the F1 World Championship.

He did start in 13th place, but his car was number 18. - Good go though as I always forget the Indy 500's - even though it has a rich seem of great trivia answers. (Cut to Ryk madly double checking the Indy 500 for anyone who ran number 13!)
The three drivers I am thinking of are from South America, North America and Europe - and here are three helpful pictures.
driver 1.jpg driver 2.jpg driver 3.jpg

Last edited:
Mauritz von Strachwitz non started the 1953 German GP in car 13
Divina Galica failed to qualify for the 1976 British GP in car 13
Moises Solana retired with Engine failure at the 1963 Mexican GP in car 13
Pastor Maldonado was a rolling disaster in the 2014 and 2015 seasons in car 13

Galica's 2.993L Cosworth DFV was the largest of the five engines used.

Something's making me thing it's the corner at the back end of the old Hockenheim.

What was the first Grand Prix - not necessarily Formula 1 - won by an American driving an American car?

Identify who, what, where and when.

As a bonus, include a photo and discuss what happened to the car after the race, and its current whereabouts.

A Grand Prix, as opposed to the Gordon Bennett or Vanderbilt Cup, was won by a Duesenberg sometime around 1920-1923 but I'm not sure if the driver was from the US or not.

Edit: I'm fairly certain it was a French Grand Prix held at Le Mans.

Back