Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
A Grand Prix, as opposed to the Gordon Bennett or Vanderbilt Cup, was won by a Duesenberg sometime around 1920-1923 but I'm not sure if the driver was from the US or not.

Edit: I'm fairly certain it was a French Grand Prix held at Le Mans.
I have a book at home that could answer the Duesenberg question but, I'm at least 4 hours away :banghead:

If I remember, I'll post what I find.

Excuse the double post but, this is a quote from Grand Prix The Cars • The Drivers • The Circuits by David Hodges, Doug Nye & Nigel Roebuck

"Duesenberg reworked their Eight for the 1920-23 183-cu-in capacity limit (which coincided with the 1921-22 3-litre Grand Prix regulations). The result was a car which placed third, fourth and sixth in the 500. Duesenbergs were second, fourth, sixth and eighth in the 1921 500.

That year there was another confrontation in the French Grand Prix. The other entries could be discounted. To the chagrin of the French, Duesenbergs led for twenty-three of the thirty laps. Jimmy Murphy eventually won by fifteen minutes from Ralph dePalma in a Ballot."

Excuse the double post but, this is a quote from Grand Prix The Cars • The Drivers • The Circuits by David Hodges, Doug Nye & Nigel Roebuck

"Duesenberg reworked their Eight for the 1920-23 183-cu-in capacity limit (which coincided with the 1921-22 3-litre Grand Prix regulations). The result was a car which placed third, fourth and sixth in the 500. Duesenbergs were second, fourth, sixth and eighth in the 1921 500.

That year there was another confrontation in the French Grand Prix. The other entries could be discounted. To the chagrin of the French, Duesenbergs led for twenty-three of the thirty laps. Jimmy Murphy eventually won by fifteen minutes from Ralph dePalma in a Ballot."
Very good! You are a winner.

To almost finish the story, the car remained in Europe, where it was disassembled and examined in minute detail by a host of European designers and engineers. Ettore Bugatti and others built new, winning designs based on the Duesy. Fred and August Duesenberg had developed their powerful and reliable engine after similarly taking apart and inspecting the epochal, seminal, spectacular 4 cylinder 1912 Peugeot DOHC Grand Prix engine, winner of numerous Grand Prix and Indy 500's.

Along about 1927, a pair of Miller 91's were shipped to Europe for the Italian Grand Prix. after which they were examined in close detail by all the top engine builders in Europe. No engine, European or American, developed as much horsepower per cubic inch as the Miller for many years to come.

I do not know the whereabouts of either the French GP winning Duesenberg, nor the Italian GP Millers.

dues10.jpg
1921 French GP winning Duesenberg

1927 Italian GP Miller, front wheel drive and centrifugally supercharged.

IMO, the 1912 Peugeot, 1921 Duesenberg and 1927 Miller head the list of all-time greatest racing cars. Not so much for their wins, but for their long lasting global influence on racing engine design around the world.

Last edited:
Very good! You are a winner.

To almost finish the story, the car remained in Europe, where it was disassembled and examined in minute detail by a host of European designers and engineers. Ettore Bugatti and others built new, winning designs based on the Duesy. Fred and August Duesenberg had developed their powerful and reliable engine after similarly taking apart and inspecting the epochal, seminal, spectacular 4 cylinder 1912 Peugeot DOHC Grand Prix engine, winner of numerous Grand Prix and Indy 500's.

Along about 1927, a pair of Miller 91's were shipped to Europe for the Italian Grand Prix. after which they were examined in close detail by all the top engine builders in Europe. No engine, European or American, developed as much horsepower per cubic inch as the Miller for many years to come.

I do not know the whereabouts of either the French GP winning Duesenberg, nor the Italian GP Millers.

dues10.jpg
1921 French GP winning Duesenberg

1927 Italian GP Miller

IMO, the 1912 Peugeot, 1921 Duesenberg and 1927 Miller head the list of all-time greatest racing cars. Not so much for their wins, but for their long lasting global influence on racing engine design around the world. designers
I don't have a question prepared so, I'll have to pass or, take a raincheck until I have something to post.

That was more than a guess than anything else. I google mapped all the GP circuits no longer in use and it came down to Rouen and Montjuic in Barcelona. Couldn't find evidence of old pits/paddock on either - but the foliage colour matched Rouen's location 👍

UK, Mallory Park, 19??

Looks like FF2000's so probably very late 70's or early 80's.

I recognise Balestre (?), Amon (?), Brabham and Stewart.

Looks like a serious occasion, perhaps after the death of Jim Clark?

John Surtees - Jack Brabham - Jackie Stewart - Pedro Rodriguez - Jo Siffert

Good call on Balestre... where... erm, When.... 1968 maybe carbon dating JYS's transition from open face & Goggles to full face helmet

Ryk
John Surtees - Jack Brabham - Jackie Stewart - Pedro Rodriguez - Jo Siffert

Good call on Balestre... where... erm, When.... 1968 maybe carbon dating JYS's transition from open face & Goggles to full face helmet
1968 drivers meeting French GP. Anyone but me recognive the guy over Seppi's shoulder

Monza is the place...
Cervet (Little JYS just underneath with the eyebrows)- Lauda - Hulme - Carlos Pace (Just behind) - Mike "the Bike" Hailwood putting helmet on - Carlos Reutemann (YPF logo) - Graham Hill (Navy Blue lid with white oar blades) - John Surtees at the front, Nanni Galli just behind Big John in the blue overalls, Reine Wisell with the green helmet, Howden Ganley just behind to the left, Chris Amon with the Iconic red/blue white lid, Andrea de Adamich in the cool red and white lid and the splattering of Italian sponsorship. Emerson Fittipaldi with the yellow dot way over on the right.

Whoops - not like it says Reggazoni on the visor of his helmet or anything... (Stumbles off to get some better glasses!)

Here is a quickie,

"Well we've got this ridiculous situation where we're all sitting by the start-finish line waiting for a winner to come past and we don't seem to be getting one!"

Who said it.
About which race.

Ryk
Monza is the place...
Cervet (Little JYS just underneath with the eyebrows)- Lauda - Hulme - Carlos Pace (Just behind) - Mike "the Bike" Hailwood putting helmet on - Carlos Reutemann (YPF logo) - Graham Hill (Navy Blue lid with white oar blades) - John Surtees at the front, Nanni Galli just behind Big John in the blue overalls, Reine Wisell with the green helmet, Howden Ganley just behind to the left, Chris Amon with the Iconic red/blue white lid, Andrea de Adamich in the cool red and white lid and the splattering of Italian sponsorship. Emerson Fittipaldi with the yellow dot way over on the right.
those driver briefing photos are really something. Looking for more of them

I'm going to guess it was a F3 car entered for Pau in 1975.

those driver briefing photos are really something. Looking for more of them
Not quite a driver briefing, but try this one.

f1cricket.jpg

I posted this in its own thread way back in 2004 but I seem to have accidentally deleted it...

Who: I recognize Graham Hill, Hunt, Depailler, Regazzoni, Scheckter, Lauda, Peterson and Hulme.

When: obviously the photo would have had to have been taken before Hill died, but probably after Depailler entered F1, so 1974 or 1975?

Where: a cricket ground?

Ken Tyrrell has the hat and bat in the top left and Arturo Merzario might be the second one after him.

Derek Bell is between Scheckter and Lauda.

Jackie Stewart is in the photo so if it's 1974/75 it could be the British GP if he's a guest otherwise it must be 1973 at the earliest.

Last edited:
Back