Motorsports Trivia Thread!

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Cap'n Jack, Dec 2, 2004.

1. -Fred-

-Fred- Staff Emeritus

That's the one!

There's also the Falken team in VLN that races both a Porsche and a BMW at the same time, and Attempto in Asian Blancpain that races Porsches and Audis.

2. Liquid

Liquid Premium

John Maguire Racing started the 1991 BTCC with a Mitsubishi Lancer then switched to a Mitsubishi Galant halfway through the season.
    Ian Khan started the 1994 BTCC with a Toyota Carina then switched to a Vauxhall Cavalier.
    Team Dynamics started the 1997 BTCC with a Ford Mondeo and then switched to a Nissan Primera.

It's touring car and not sports car racing but those are the cases I know off the top of my head.

3. daan

daan Moderator

4. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

What was Bruce Mclaren’s trademark that made him instantaneously recognizable in F1 and the can am. Two items usually.

5. Kingofweasles

Kingofweasles

He had Perthes Disease, didn't he? So one hip was shorter in length than the other, which affected his legs and how he would walk.

EDIT: And as for the cars themselves, from 1967 onwards to his passing in 1970, they were painted a bright Orange that stood out from virtually every other team on the grid?

6. Dotini

Dotini Premium

Bruce McLaren almost always wore a plain silver helmet, brimless, together with black rubber goggles, and often with a white bandana covering his face. Early on he was seen in blue Dunlop coveralls, but later wore white Goodyear suits.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2019
    Pete05 likes this.
  7. GTP_Nail

GTP_Nail Premium

almost totally correct....his bell star was used from the year it was introduced till the day he died. You mentioned his white bandana, it was actually a white towel that he used to wipe his goggles, it started wrapped around his lower face and then after it was used it was clenched in his teeth! I watched him win at Spa from the patio of the hotel de la source....classic

I shared a table de la course on the wall with two Canadians. I am the one sitting up right above the FINA shield. A later picture from the same photographer with the tea towel in his teeth was used as the major picture for the Spa article in AUTOCOURSE, the F1 annual. He is followed by Ferrari’s new great hope, a baby faced Belgian kid named Jacky..

0B00A134-D08E-4C40-998A-69246BDFC075.jpeg

Populuxe Cowboy, Dotini and Pete05 like this.
  8. Dotini

Dotini Premium

Upon further recollection, may it be the towel was actually a chamois?

9. EDK

EDK Moderator

This was one that came to mind from what was IMSA Continental at the time.

https://www.imsa.com/news/072017/volt-racing-ready-change-pace-new-ford-mustang

I don't think it's all that uncommon in IMSA, TBH. Does not happen in the top classes, but GTD and what's now Michelin Pilot challenge with GT4 and TCR, it's not unusual.

10. Liquid

Liquid Premium

There have been nine tyre manufacturers in Formula One. Who is the only Formula One driver to have raced for a record four of them?

I don't have this verified as fact so if you can successfully prove that someone else other than whom I have in mind has also done it, you get the point.

11. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Kimi?

12. Liquid

Liquid Premium

He has only driven for three.

13. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Is the driver on the current grid?

I suppose the driver must have driven on Goodyear, Bridgestone, Michelin and Pirelli. Michael Schumacher?

14. Liquid

Liquid Premium

No.

Yes.

No; he didn't race with Michelins.

15. Greycap

Greycap Premium

Rubens Barrichello. Only one season in a Michelin car, the 2006 Honda, but it's enough.

16. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

How about Barrichello? Did Honda use Michelin in 2006?

17. TenEightyOne

TenEightyOne Premium

Button?

EDIT: Tree'd by better guesses, methinks :)

18. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Greycap just beat you to it!

But yes, Rubens Barrichello is the right answer; he raced with Goodyears 1993-1996, with Bridgestones 1997-2005 and 2007-2010, with Michelins in 2006 and in his final season he used Pirellis in 2011.

TenEightyOne likes this.