Motorsports Trivia Thread!

Discussion in 'Motorsport' started by Cap'n Jack, Dec 2, 2004.

1. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Very good. I didn't have Barrichello as a certain outright winner:

Always good to know that others also like doing boring research. :)

Populuxe Cowboy likes this.
  2. Pupik

Pupik Staff Emeritus

I was actually surprised there's only been nine tire manufacturers in F1 since 1950. I figured there had to be a few one-offs by some of the early privateers.

Edit: A little more digging on the Avon-shod drivers...it turns out that there are several more with four brands.

Marc Surer, Manfred Winkelhock, Keke Rosberg, Emilio de Villota, and Chico Serra also used four tire brands throughout their F1 careers: Goodyear, Pirelli, Michelin, and Avon. Jochen Mass used Firestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, and Avon. Jo Bonnier used 4: Firestone, Goodyear, Pirelli, and Dunlop. Phil Hill also with four; Englebert, Pirelli, Dunlop, and one race with Goodyear.

That makes 9 drivers, with Rubens being the most-recent case of this.

...so did anyone use five brands? I'm still checking.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2019
    TenEightyOne and Pete05 like this.
  3. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

Would Jonathon Webb fit in this category? He owns Tekno and has driven for the team himself. Did he also own the Mother Falcon that he raced in 2011? Or was that supplied by FPR?

Edit: Webb's Falcon was originally owned by 888, and he had technical assistance from DJR in 2010. In 2011 Webb cut ties with DJR and decided to run the car for himself.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2019
  4. Pete05

Pete05 Premium

No.

Webb didn't have factory support & he didn't own the team (DJR) that ran the car for him. In the Tekno phase, he's never had factory support so that's another NO.

5. CLowndes888

CLowndes888

I must've misread the part that mentioned factory backing; I thought you were talking about owner/drivers as a whole.

6. Liquid

Liquid Premium

Obviously he was already a very talented touring car driver but Laurent Aïello had just one season in the BTCC and won the championship. In fact, quite a few drivers won on their BTCC debuts at this time (Winkelhock, Tarquini, Biela) but they continued racing.

What other instances are there of a driver only competing in a series once and winning the title?

Not
    just winning on your debut and continuing to race like, say, Nigel Mansell and CART (Mansell's 1994 season wasn't as successful) but winning and then disappearing from the series like Aïello.

Jim Clark also won the BTCC in 1964 but I don't think that was the only season he competed.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  7. Jimlaad43

Jimlaad43 Premium

Do you count someone like Nico Hulkenberg who won Le Mans on his only attempt?

Nico Rosberg won his only season in GP2. it's probably quite common in junior series'. I think Lando Norris has one or two

8. Liquid

Liquid Premium

I suppose we each count it in a different way but for a prestigious race like that, sure. Good find.

9. VulcanSpirit

VulcanSpirit

So did Hamilton. ;)

10. TheCracker

TheCracker Premium

GP2 champions weren't permitted to race in the series again so anyone who won the title on first attempt could be counted. I just can't be arsed to go through the list :p

11. VXR

VXR

Interesting post popped up on Instagram.