Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
No. A clue for Lawrence Littlefield:

A very successful touring car driver who has also won Le Mans.

Laurent Aiello

Ding.

The BTCC, STW, DTM and FSC champion has a surname of Italo-Latin origin, from the word agellus being a diminutive for field.

Easy:
John Newhouse - Jacques Villeneuve
Johnny Carwash - Giovanni Lavaggi
Bernard Taylor - Bernd Schneider
Carl Saintly - Carlos Sainz
Peter-Lewis Martin - Pierluigi Martini

Medium:
John Paul Mountainside - Juan Pablo Montoya
Peter Rogerson - Pedro Rodriguez
John Miller - Yvan Muller
Lawrence Littlefield - Laurent Aiello
Colin Deerson - Colin McRae

Hard:
Lewis Beans - Luigi Fagioli
Nick Lewis - Klaus Ludwig
Marc Andrews - Mario Andretti

That's all the ones I had for you for now. I think @Jimlaad43 got the most correct, if you have a question for us.

Ok, so here's another Teammate tracker challenge, but with a twist.

Instead of just going from one driver to another through team mates, we need to go from track to track - as the circuit the driver took their first win at (in any category). You must get from a driver to have taken their first win at said circuit and go through team mates to find a driver that took their first win at the next track stated.

For example. If the challenge was Shanghai International > Spa-Francorchamps, you could say "Nico Rosberg (F1) > Michael Schumacher (F1)".
For something like Istanbul Park > Circuit Gilles Villeneuve you could say "Felipe Massa (F1) > Valtteri Bottas > Lewis Hamilton (F1)"
While Istanbul Park > Circuit de Catalunya could be done as "Andreas Zuber (GP2) > Pastor Maldonado (F1)"
If you're lucky, you could find an example like Hungaroring > Spa-Francorchamps is "Fernando Alonso (F1) > (WEC)"

Let's have some fun with this. Here's some random circuit combinations. Have fun!

Indianapolis Motor Speedway > Hungaroring
Sochi Autodrom > Snetterton
Motegi > Snaefell Mountain Course
Kyalami > Pocono Raceway

All of these are crashes very similar to famous ones in F1. Can you name which ones they are almost carbon copies of?

All of these are crashes very similar to famous ones in F1. Can you name which ones they are almost carbon copies of?

The first one reminds me of Schumacher versus Hill at Adelaide in 1994.

Second? Maybe the opening lap of the Belgian GP when a lot were wiped out just after the La Source hairpin.

The third one reminds me of Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton, Monaco 2013?

EDIT: Max finished every race in 2013 so it may have been Jules Bianchi.

The third one reminds me of Pastor Maldonado and Max Chilton, Monaco 2013?

EDIT: Max finished every race in 2013 so it may have been Jules Bianchi.
It was Chilton, he just didn't get terminal damage from the contact, which Maldonado did.

Teammate Tracer

Mika Häkkinen and Mika Salo
My best: three drivers

Can it be beaten?

Mika Häkkinen -> David Coulthard -> Damon Hill -> Pedro Diniz -> Mika Salo

Last edited:
Teammate Tracer

Mika Häkkinen and Mika Salo
My best: three drivers

Can it be beaten?

Mika Häkkinen -> David Coulthard -> Damon Hill -> Pedro Diniz -> Mika Salo
It can be done in 1. The 1990 Macau GP had Mika H teamed with this guy who then went on to be Mika S's teammate in F1, (although technically Mika S became his team-mate.)

Eddie Irvine

upload_2020-5-20_11-16-28.png

Name Translator

Vitus Peters
Henry-Harold Franks
Charles Knife
Peter Rose
Sunny Snow
Edmund Westriver
Robert Moor
Peter Cook
John Hair

Surely the first one is Vitaly Petrov

The second one is Heinz-Harald Frentzen, that's an easy one.

John Hair - Ivan Capelli

Edmund Westriver - Eddie Irvine (?)

Peter Rose is Pedro de la Rosa.

Sunny Snow - Hélio Castroneves

Ding, ding, ding.

There is no direct cognate of Vitaly in English but the name itself comes from the Latin vitus, as in vitality, life. Petrov is a genitive form of Pyotr, making it Peters with a collective S rather than a plural or Peterson patronym.

The name Irvine comes from the river Irvine in Scotland, whose ultimate etymology is not know but the most reliable hypothesis is "west flowing river".

de la Rosa is obviously the more literal of the Rose but that just doesn't quite work in English, unless you prefer Peter Roses instead.

Another hilarious Italian name like Lewis Beans. Capelli is literally just the word for hair.

Helio Neves is slightly quirkier; his actual name is Helio Alves de Castro Neves, using the double family name common in Iberian languages. Neves is his father's surname and the father's name is almost always the "given" name in both Spanish and Portuguese. Helios is the Greek word for sun, giving a nice dynamic contrasting with neve, the Portuguese word for snow.

Charles Knife
Robert Moor
Peter Cook

Ding, ding, ding.

There is no direct cognate of Vitaly in English but the name itself comes from the Latin vitus, as in vitality, life. Petrov is a genitive form of Pyotr, making it Peters with a collective S rather than a plural or Peterson patronym.

The name Irvine comes from the river Irvine in Scotland, whose ultimate etymology is not know but the most reliable hypothesis is "west flowing river".

de la Rosa is obviously the more literal of the Rose but that just doesn't quite work in English, unless you prefer Peter Roses instead.

Another hilarious Italian name like Lewis Beans. Capelli is literally just the word for hair.

Helio Neves is slightly quirkier; his actual name is Helio Alves de Castro Neves, using the double family name common in Iberian languages. Neves is his father's surname and the father's name is almost always the "given" name in both Spanish and Portuguese. Helios is the Greek word for sun, giving a nice dynamic contrasting with neve, the Portuguese word for snow.

Charles Knife
Robert Moor
Peter Cook
I had a go trying to translate "knife" around the world of racing Carloses (Carlosi?) But I'm not an encyclopedia of drivers.

Turns out there's a place in Australia called Charles Knife canyon, though.

Roberto Moreno

Ding.

No, Moreno means dark-skinned, not Moor.

Moreno meaning dark-skinned comes from the Moors. It's the best translatable equivalence, if coincidentally bearing a superficial resemblance to the Anglo-Celtic surname Moor/Moore

Charles Knife
Peter Cook

Charles Knife could also be called Karl Knife, I suppose. Charles is French and Karl is German so it depends which you prefer in English. He was an older driver; a sportscar winner and F1 driver.

Peter Cook is a former touring car and GT driver with a class win at Le Mans.

Last edited:
Back