Pescara 1957 > Italy 1957

USA East 1980 > USA West 1981

Detroit 1984 > Dallas 1984

Pacific 1995 > Japan 1995

Australia 1995 > Australia 1996

Austria 2020 > Styria 2020

Britain 2020 > 70th Anniversary 2020

Is the full list

Come on man, you can't leave the story hanging there!
I regret making that remark and have edited the post to reflect that. To the best of my knowledge, upon his retirement from racing, JM Fangio was appointed the Mercedes-Benz distributor in Argentina, with whom he had a special relationship going back several years. I have no solid evidence of what happened in his early years. It's probably best the golden years remain golden. IMHO money talks, and has always done so in top level racing. Money talks, and the big money shouts orders about who drives.

I regret making that remark and have edited the post to reflect that. To the best of my knowledge, upon his retirement from racing, JM Fangio was appointed the Mercedes-Benz distributor in Argentina, with whom he had a special relationship going back several years. I have no solid evidence of what happened in his early years. It's probably best the golden years remain golden. IMHO money talks, and has always done so in top level racing. Money talks, and the big money shouts orders about who drives.

I don't think anyone is shy about the fact that racing back then was a rich man's hobby. Honestly no one who is making it in racing is doing so without some deep pockets.

BMW M12/13

Designed by BMW engineer Paul Rosche, the 1.5 litre four cylinder unit revved to 11,500rpm and was subjected to such incredible internal forces that it was built around used road-car engine blocks that had travelled more than 100,000km. The thinking was that if the blocks were going to break, they’d have done so already. “The car was like a bomb,” Gerhard Berger said of the Benetton B186 - the only driver to successfully tame the beast. “You’d open the throttle at the entry to the corner only to get the power at the exit. And if you missed it by 5-10 metres, there was nothing you could do - you just spun it. The lag was about one or two seconds.

A single run in qualifying trim, which wound the boost up to 80psi, was enough to totally destroy the gearbox. Power outputs were estimated to be 1500bhp, though we don’t know for sure as BMW’s dyno couldn’t measure anything above 1280bhp.
Central to the B186’s grunt was its fuel; a potent mix made mostly of pure toulene, a key ingredient in paint thinner, and cost US$300 a litre in 1986. Allow for inflation and that’s US$701 today.

Cameron Kirby of Wheels magazine, 25 July 2020.

BMW M12/13

Designed by BMW engineer Paul Rosche, the 1.5 litre four cylinder unit revved to 11,500rpm and was subjected to such incredible internal forces that it was built around used road-car engine blocks that had travelled more than 100,000km. The thinking was that if the blocks were going to break, they’d have done so already. “The car was like a bomb,” Gerhard Berger said of the Benetton B186 - the only driver to successfully tame the beast. “You’d open the throttle at the entry to the corner only to get the power at the exit. And if you missed it by 5-10 metres, there was nothing you could do - you just spun it. The lag was about one or two seconds.

A single run in qualifying trim, which wound the boost up to 80psi, was enough to totally destroy the gearbox. Power outputs were estimated to be 1500bhp, though we don’t know for sure as BMW’s dyno couldn’t measure anything above 1280bhp.
Central to the B186’s grunt was its fuel; a potent mix made mostly of pure toulene, a key ingredient in paint thinner, and cost US$300 a litre in 1986. Allow for inflation and that’s US$701 today.

Cameron Kirby of Wheels magazine, 25 July 2020.

Did the B186 have the benefit of Q tires?
In what seasons were Q tires allowed?
Is it true Q tires exuded a sort of glue which bound them to the track?

Q tyres were available during the mid/late 80’s.
When they were banned I do not know.

I'm fairly sure that the glue aspect of qualifying tyres was more of a metaphor as in x sticks to y like glue. Although I don't doubt that they had unique materials in their construction compared to a race tyre.

They had a very short window of grip and I would guess they were introduced around 1985 because that's when tyre blankets were first used. Starting in 1991 and up to 1993 the dimensions of tyres, rear ones in particular, became greatly reduced.

I'm fairly sure that the glue aspect of qualifying tyres was more of a metaphor as in x sticks to y like glue. Although I don't doubt that they had unique materials in their construction compared to a race tyre.

They had a very short window of grip and I would guess they were introduced around 1985 because that's when tyre blankets were first used. Starting in 1991 and up to 1993 the dimensions of tyres, rear ones in particular, became greatly reduced.
I don't recall what year it was, but I remember an Australian GP at Adelaide had a piece on the qualifying rubber & a driver stating that the tyres wouldn't do 2 laps in a row at 100%.

Combine that with the hand grenade engines of the period & qualifying was definitely an all-out affair with nothing left on the table at the pointy end of the grid.

If there was tyre competition then there would be qualifying tyres. Very soft rubber and if you went too hard on the warm up lap, they wouldn't last the full flying lap. They had two sets. Drivers used to take big risks with them as they were restricted in number. That's what killed Villeneuve. He was on his second and last set and therefore couldn't back off when he came across a backmarker going slowly.

Max Verstappen's first name is not short for Maximilian but coupled with his middle name, his full name is Max Emilian Verstappen.

Jos the Boss had a sense of humour, I guess.

By the end of this Formula E season, Rene Rast will have competed in 7 Formula E races, all of which will have been in Berlin.

Something interesting I found about Pastor Maldonado - out of his 5 F1 seasons, 4 began with a double DNF, except his last, where he had a triple DNF instead. He ended up never taking the checkered flag at Albert Park, Sepang or Monaco.

upload_2020-9-24_0-24-18.jpeg

who in what where when

and....god I miss this place....WWWW

View attachment 960032

I lost all my pix prior to switching to slides in a house fire...I just found all the negs....get ready for a dump... no Google p,lz
This is a curly one.

If the name on the side of the car is as I believe, Rene Weisel, it can't be a round of the WDC. I don't believe Rene ever started a F1 race in the WDC. If it's someone else in the car & they can be identified by the helmet, that's not my specialty.
It can't be any earlier than 1970, being a Lotus 72 & the Gold Leaf colours tell me it's either '70 or '71.

:confused:

Pescara 1957 > Italy 1957

USA East 1980 > USA West 1981

Detroit 1984 > Dallas 1984

Pacific 1995 > Japan 1995

Australia 1995 > Australia 1996

Austria 2020 > Styria 2020

Britain 2020 > 70th Anniversary 2020

Is the full list
Italy 2020 > Tuscany 2020

Bahrain 2020 > Sakhir 2020

Completes the list.

and....god I miss this place....WWWW

View attachment 960032

I lost all my pix prior to switching to slides in a house fire...I just found all the negs....get ready for a dump... no Google p,lz
Talk about two unknowns. I had to look at the entry sheet. Emerson "Who" Fittipaldi and Reine Wisell.
Here is another guy who did Everything. Watkins Glen 70....who in what
IMG_20200913_0003.jpg

Dotini give someone else a chance...you know more than I do!! BTW this is when I started to get an inkling that my zoom was defective as not a single pix is clear . Eventually threw it away and got an auto focus Pentax ES which I used to great effect for aerial pix in SEA.

shanno11.jpg

Please identify the car, engine, driver, and F1 Grand Prix race event (circuit and year) seen here.

Clues: The engine is a 3.0 liter V-8. But it began as 2.5 liter F1 engine. Four cylinder variants of this engine were quite successful.

Last edited:
Coventry Climax the first year of the 3.0 l formula1966 . The CC started as a 4 cyl water pump engine or some such and the 1.5 l series had numerous cars use their engines in v8 form which I thought were two 4s cobbled together. Thats it without Google.

Back