Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
Coventry Climax the first year of the 3.0 l formula1966 . The CC started as a 4 cyl water pump engine or some such and the 1.5 l series had numerous cars use their engines in v8 form which I thought were two 4s cobbled together. Thats it without Google.
On the right path. The engine is a Coventry Climax FPE "Godiva" V-8. It was designed and developed as a V-8 to be used in the uncompleted 1954 Kieft F1 project. But development stopped and was shifted to half this V-8, becoming the FPF 4 cylinder which went on to win two F1 world championships, numerous sports car wins, even competing in the Indy 500.

In 1966, leftover bits of the old Godiva V-8 were converted to 3 liters and fuel injection by Paul Emery, constructor of F1 cars appearing briefly in '56, '61 and '62. Emery's steel monocoque Shannon SH1, driven by Trevor Taylor, qualified 18th of 20 cars in the 1966 British GP at Brands Hatch, retiring on the first lap. The Shannon SH1 was subsequently converted to a 1.0 liter F3 engine, and raced successfully in Europe for several years.

596.jpg

Presumably 1 horsepower, open-topped, visible bushings, and a complete crank?
At the very beginning of serious racing, say circa 1906, many engines had features such as you describe, including total oil loss open crankcases. Actually the FPE Climax V-8 was probably more powerful than most if not any contemporary F1 engine. Their decision to not compete was tragic in hindsight.

Congratulations to Kimi Räikkönen, who equals Rubens Barrichello's record of 322 Grand Prix starts. By pure coincidence, Räkkönen and Barrichello have the same number of non-starts (4) so he also equals the record of 326 Grands Prix entered.

At the next Grand Prix in Germany, he will become the new record holder.

Barrichello, Patrese, Laffitte, Graham Hill, Brabham, Bonnier, Trintignant, Behra, Fangio, Rosier, Farina. Then it's all a group of them from the first GP onwards. Farina was the first driver to hold the record alone.

Hmmm...

Brundle, Schumacher, Alesi, Berger? I really have no idea, that's just a punt.

EDIT:

Barrichello, Patrese, Laffitte, Graham Hill, Brabham, Bonnier, Trintignant, Behra, Fangio, Rosier, Farina. Then it's all a group of them from the first GP onwards. Farina was the first driver to hold the record alone.

Bloody hell, did you really do that from memory!? :eek:

Hmmm...

Brundle, Schumacher, Alesi, Berger? I really have no idea, that's just a punt.

EDIT:

Bloody hell, did you really do that from memory!? :eek:
Of course not lol, I just know the right place to look :lol:

I had to look it up after Hill because that's as far as Crofty got in FP2 :lol::lol::lol:

WWWW it was real hazy that day. Race name and winning driver as well. Yes Virginia they are "stock" cars on a Road Course. And the first two
drivers
IMG_20200924_0008.jpg

WWWW it was real hazy that day. Race name and winning driver as well. Yes Virginia they are "stock" cars on a Road Course. And the first two
drivers
View attachment 961292
Is that Richard Petty in the #43? The track looks like Watkins Glen - the short run from turn 1 into 2.

I'm not familiar enough with the layout at Riverside in California & that's the earliest road course I know of that NASCAR visited.

drivers
View attachment 961292
That circuit is, however shrouded, clearly Riverside Raceway. Richard Petty's car lacks an STP sticker. The first three positions are held by Plymouth and Dodge.
This is the 1971 Motor Trend 500, aka Winston Western 500. The first two cars are Petty and Bobby Allison. The shock winner was an unknown, unsponsored local cabbage farmer, Ray Elder, 3rd place in the photo.

That circuit is, however shrouded, clearly Riverside Raceway. Richard Petty's car lacks an STP sticker. The first three positions are held by Plymouth and Dodge.
This is the 1971 Motor Trend 500, aka Winston Western 500. The first two cars are Petty and Bobby Allison. The shock winner was an unknown, unsponsored local cabbage farmer, Ray Elder, 3rd place in the photo.

here is a view of what made Riiverside STUPENDOUS ....the ESSES followed by turn six with and uphill approach out of the last esse right hander flattening to zero with a HUFE Fing concrete wall
I did my SCCA drivers school and novice races there during an SCCA National weekend...in an FF the ESSES were flat...but if you dropped a wheel there was at least a 6 inch drop caused by the big bangers falling off on the inside...that would rip a wheel right off a smaller car.

This was the weekend that the Honda 600's (?) made their national debut and as I remember at least one of them ended up on its roof in the esses...might have been both. Stronger suspension was added...very funny. A year later the Honda 1200 was campaigned to way too many SCCA championships
IMG_20200924_0001.jpg

and the unknown "then" winner...

IMG_20200924_0007.jpg

note that damn lens going past infinity in the zoom mode

Last edited:
IMG_20200907_0005.jpg

RA 1971... who is this and what is he driving...oh and who were the top three finishers....hint the winner had a link to Lip Stick

View attachment 963086
RA 1971... who is this and what is he driving...oh and who were the top three finishers....hint the winner had a link to Lip Stick
Is the winner Peter Revson? I know he's linked to Revlon & I think they make lipsticks.

As for the car, it looks a lot like a McLaren M8 with the massive Chev in the back. I strongly suspect this, because we had a yellow McLaren M8 CanAm car here in March for a big historic meeting at Phillip Island. More horsepower than kilograms in weight :eek::bowdown:

The winner was Revson...none of my Pix of Revvie were good enough to keep . This is Hiroshi Kazato in a lola t162...at least that 's what the envelope that the negs were in.

I need a year to put these pix in the right folder. Its Lime Rock.......either memorial day or labor day

Paul Newman in his personal car...78 was his age
IMG_20201010_0006.jpg

IMG_20201009_0015.jpg

IMG_20201010_0005.jpg

It is after 1994 and before 2003

View attachment 963086
I think Hiroshi's was car may be a Lola T222, finishing 5th, 3 laps down to Revson, Siffert and Elford.

I need a year to put these pix in the right folder. Its Lime Rock.......either memorial day or labor day

Paul Newman in his personal car...78 was his age
View attachment 964099

It is after 1994 and before 2003

I think 2002 is the year.

Last edited:
I think Hiroshi's was car may be a Lola T222, finishing 5th, 3 laps down to Revson, Siffert and Elford.

I think 2002 is the year.
you are correct the 222 was the customer car and the "Cigarette Box" was the team car....neither was anything to write about. Now scanning Trois Reveries

IMG_20201010_0001.jpg

Calvin Fish and "Hello to my family back home"

Last edited:
The very special Lola Stewart drove...
CANAMSTEWART.jpg
Here is an interesting car that practiced with us at Willow while I was going through the Jim Russell Racing Drivers School. This is the First one driven in the US. When it passed us on the straights the ground would shake and the drafts as it went buy sucked you up tight on your shoulder straps.....only four point harness then. The deal was to hold your line and PRAY!
IMG_20201022_0005.jpg

s

Here is an interesting car that practiced with us at Willow while I was going through the Jim Russell Racing Drivers School. This is the First one driven in the US. When it passed us on the straights the ground would shake and the drafts as it went buy sucked you up tight on your shoulder straps.....only four point harness then. The deal was to hold your line and PRAY!
View attachment 966820

s
That's a McLaren M10, possibly an M10A. Is that George Eaton?

During this general time period time, I was an occasional pit crewman on the sister to this car, driven by my friend, Spence Stoddard.
EricHaga-Lola-T190-AAA.jpg

Nope...it's Dr.Lou Sell in his Surtees TS5 this was in early 1971 so this was followed on by a TS8 which he got a few months later.Here's Lou
1971 WS JR Dr. Lou Sell.jpg

Gachot with a Subaru patch means it must be from when he drove for Coloni in 1990.
nope...1991 when driving for Jordan....at Camada...probably thought he was a transient and didn't bother to get a new suit...or Eddie was too cheap to buy him a new one. The 1991 Jordan was absolutely the best car on the track!! For looks!!!

1991 CGP Jordan Ford Bertrand  Gachot.jpg

Last edited:
Back