Motorsports Trivia Thread!

• Thread starter Cap'n Jack
  • 7,179 comments
The Chevron B24 driven by Peter Gethin to a famous victory over a whole fleet of F1 cars in the Race of Champions of 1973 certainly represents a high water mark of success for the formula. However, the 1973 Chevron was not the most commercially successful F5000 of all time.
race_of_champions_1973_goodwood_f5000_08031802.jpg

Gethin hoses down Lauda, Hunt, Fittipaldi, Scheckter, Peterson, Hulme, Watson, etc., with a stock block engine dating to 1954. :lol:
My guess is the Lola T332 with a Chev in the rear.

They seemed to be the most popular down here.
———————————————

This is the first I knew of the Ferrari 312T6.
Was this being aimed at 1980 after the T5 proved disappointing following the success of the T4?

So I’m guessing that makes Johnny Servoz-Gavin unique, being the only man to score a point in Championship F1.

Looking back at the 4wd Cosworth F1, I’m sure the entire car was designed with a ruler :lol:

My guess is the Lola T332 with a Chev in the rear.

They seemed to be the most popular down here.
———————————————

This is the first I knew of the Ferrari 312T6.
Was this being aimed at 1980 after the T5 proved disappointing following the success of the T4?

So I’m guessing that makes Johnny Servoz-Gavin unique, being the only man to score a point in Championship F1.

Looking back at the 4wd Cosworth F1, I’m sure the entire car was designed with a ruler :lol:
You make very fun posts! 👍

Your guess about the Lola T332 is excellent, since the T332-Chevy dominated in no uncertain fashion the US championship for 3 straight years, pretty much ending the question which was the best car. They were built and sold in huge numbers. Even so, I believe sales figures for one years production of another earlier Lola car slightly exceeded it. I believe, based on research, that the T142 of 1969 is the one. I could be wrong, but I think 28 T142's were manufactured and sold in 1969 alone.

1969 Lola T142-Chevy, £5,500 complete with Traco-modified Chevrolet V8 engine. :drool:

Note: The T142 was almost identical to the T140, the differences being in wheel sizes, body details, and suspension geometry improvement. The suspension components of both cars came straight from the venerable T70 sports car. The frame was tubular, simple and robust.

The cars sold in considerable numbers to the USA, South Africa, Canada and in the UK with more than 40 combined T140/142 chassis being completed at Huntingdon. One compelling reason for the model's contemporary popularity was its selling price of £5,500 complete with Traco-modified Chevrolet V8 engine.

At the end of the 1969 season it was apparent that the Lola T142 'circus' had really kept F5000 alive. The Paul Hawkins Racing-operated car was tended by Eric Broadley of Lola at several British meetings, was managed by the well-known Jackie Epstein and was driven by none other than former multiple motorcycle World Champion Mike Hailwood. Keith Holland was a consistent front-runner in the Alan Fraser-owned T142, while Mike Walker also shone in the Alan McKechnie-entered example. Ulf Norinder's always well-prepared example was another of the leading Lolas to appear upon the hyper-active British scene together with such famous names as Frank Gardner, Robin Widdows, Tony Lanfranchi, Alan Rollinson as well as many more. The Lola-Chevrolet T142 provided the backbone of Formula 5000 entries in that formative period, and this most attractive example should provide a mouth-watering entrée into the Historic class today.

Last edited:
Here's one for the ages:

Nino Farina to Ferenc Szisz, winner of the first Grand Prix in 1906

After some old fashioned research, I found a chain of 5 links, all at the GP level. Yes, it's ancient history, and probably not too exciting or relevant to us anymore, I admit. But it's the foundation of the motor racing we enjoy today. Will anyone give this one a whirl?

Ferenc Szisz, 1906 Renault​
Now, through Teammate Tracing, we can complete the glorious connection from the most recent Grand Prix driving champion, Lewis Hamilton (Mercedes, 2019), to the very first, Ferenc Szisz (Renault, 1906).

1. Farina -> Luigi Fagioli (Alfa, '50)
2. Fagioli -> Louis Chiron (Mercedes-Benz, '36)
3. Chiron -> Albert Divo (Bugatti, '30)
4. Divo -> Louis Wagner (Delage, '25)
5. Wagner -> Pietro Bordino (FIAT, '21)
6. Bordino -> Ferenc Szisz (Alda, '14)

1. Farina -> Luigi Fagioli (Alfa, '50)
2. Fagioli -> Louis Chiron (Mercedes-Benz, '36)
3. Chiron -> Albert Divo (Bugatti, '30)
4. Divo -> Louis Wagner (Delage, '25)
5. Wagner -> Pietro Bordino (FIAT, '21)
6. Bordino -> Ferenc Szisz (Alda, '14)

I did try this but couldn't get from Bordino to Chiron. Well done.

And given that we have already gotten from Farina to Hamilton, we can now trace the current Formula One World Champion back to the winner of the first Grand Prix.

Szisz -> Bordino -> Wagner -> Divo -> Chiron -> Fagioli -> Farina -> Fangio -> Moss -> Brundle -> Barrichello -> Button -> Hamilton

I did try this but couldn't get from Bordino to Chiron. Well done.

And given that we have already gotten from Farina to Hamilton, we can now trace the current Formula One World Champion back to the winner of the first Grand Prix.

Szisz -> Bordino -> Wagner -> Divo -> Chiron -> Fagioli -> Farina -> Fangio -> Moss -> Brundle -> Barrichello -> Button -> Hamilton
My only cavil to this is the resort to small-bore sedans and a retired driver to shorten the connection that could have been made through only GP teams and active GP drivers.

My only cavil to this is the resort to small-bore sedans and a retired driver to shorten the connection that could have been made through only GP teams and active GP drivers.

There are no right answers. Only longer and shorter ones, interesting and less interesting ones.

Hamilton->Alonso->Raikkonen->Coulthard->Hakkinen->Mansell->Andretti->G Hill->Tony Brooks->Stirling Moss->JM Fangio->Farina->Fagioli->Chiron->Divo->Wagner->Bordino->Szisz

is equally valid.

This post is my final installment (whew!) on the 4WD cars of the Indianapolis 500.

We come to the Lola T150/T152. These are only a total of 3 cars, each bespoke to elite teams and drivers, campaigned only for a few years, and mostly successful. These 4WD (Ferguson derived) cars were evolved directly from the Indy winning Lola T90 (G. Hill, '66). They won frequently on short ovals and road courses.

Lola T150-Ford V8 4WD

1968 Al Unser qualified 6th/ finished 26th

'69, Bud Tinglestad (subbing for injured Unser) converted to 2WD, 18th/15th

'70 Al Unser wins the 500 with "Johnny Lightning Special", T150 converted to 2WD, Turbo Ford V-8

Lola T152 SL152/4 Designed around Offenhauser 4 inline engine only with increased fuel tankage, Penske/Donohue
LolaT152-Donohue-F-400x300.jpg

1969, 4WD, qualified 4th, finished 7th

Lola T152 SL152/5, designed for Ford V-8, Leader Card, Bobby Unser
LolaT152-UnserB-Indy1969-B-400x300.jpg

1969, 4WD, qualified 3rd, finished 3rd

4WD cars were then legislated out of existence, and never seen again at Indy.

Last edited:
There are no right answers. Only longer and shorter ones, interesting and less interesting ones.

Hamilton->Alonso->Raikkonen->Coulthard->Hakkinen->Mansell->Andretti->G Hill->Tony Brooks->Stirling Moss->JM Fangio->Farina->Fagioli->Chiron->Divo->Wagner->Bordino->Szisz

is equally valid.

Teammate Tracer

Peter Revson and Christabel Carlisle
- in one link, a tasty little morsel for tintop gourmets.

8bRace1-1170x658.jpg

AMC JAVELIN TRANS-AM, Revson up

Last edited:
Teammate Tracer

Peter Revson and Christabel Carlisle
- in one link, a tasty little morsel for tintop gourmets.

8bRace1-1170x658.jpg

AMC JAVELIN TRANS-AM, Revson up
I'm getting concerned there are no answers to what I think is a super-easy question. But maybe I don't have my facts straight, since I'm no BTCC expert. So I must ask; did not Ms. Carlisle and Sir John Whitmore drive Minis entered by...I think his name was Don Moore?

The only link I know between John Whitmore and "famous teammate" is Steve McQueen; I've posted about that before.

I'd be lying if I said I knew who Christabel Carlisle was but I'm fairly certain McQueen is the driver you are after.

The only link I know between John Whitmore and "famous teammate" is Steve McQueen; I've posted about that before.

I'd be lying if I said I knew who Christabel Carlisle was but I'm fairly certain McQueen is the driver you are after.
Good! You've got the driver. Don't suppose anybody has the energy to establish the links? No? Let's move on then.

Well Peter Revson died around 1974 so if he raced with McQueen, I would guess it was either in European sports cars at Le Mans or in Can-Am, seeing as both were American.

Well Peter Revson died around 1974 so if he raced with McQueen, I would guess it was either in European sports cars at Le Mans or in Can-Am, seeing as both were American.
Your intuition is uncanny! McQueen teamed with Revson at the 1970 Sebring 12 Hour endurance race for sports cars. They drove McQueen's Porsche 908 flat 8, finishing 2nd overall and first in class.

Christabel Carlisle was definitely a nobody in BTCC, and undeserving of respect, I guess. But at least she pipped Steve McQueen on the day. It was a famous race, and the crowd went nuts, demanding and getting an improvised podium for class winner Elford(?), Carlisle 2nd and McQueen 3rd. Whitmore, championship secured, had ceded his car to his friend, McQueen. If I have my facts straight.

Last edited:
Ah, I knew one of the other people on McQueen's podium was a girl, I just didn't know her name.

Elford won the class and their three way battle was such a delight for the crowd that outright race winner Mike Parkes invited them onto the podium.

Screenshot_20200509-111706_Firefox.jpg
Screenshot_20200509-111753_Firefox.jpg

Name Translator

The following drivers with non-English names have had their names translated into English. Who are they?

Example: Michael Cobbler would be Michael Schumacher. Shoemaker is a transliteration of his name but Cobbler is the actual translation.

Hyphens are used where they would be in English; although hyphenated first names are rare, Gianfranco would be John-Francis and not Johnfrancis.

Easy:
John Newhouse
Johnny Carwash
Bernard Taylor
Carl Saintly
Peter-Lewis Martin

Medium:
John Paul Mountainside
Peter Rogerson
John Miller
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson

Hard:
Lewis Beans
Nick Lewis
Marc Andrews

---

It would be slightly too easy if I gave you each name's original language without some guesses first.

Easy:
John Newhouse
Johnny Carwash
Bernard Taylor
Carl Saintly
Peter-Lewis Martin

Medium:
John Paul Mountainside
Peter Rogerson
John Miller
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson

Hard:
Lewis Beans
Nick Lewis
Marc Andrews
-
-
Bernd Schneider
Carlos Sainz
Pier-Luigi Martini

-
-
-
-
-

Luigi Fagioli
-
Mario Andretti

All I've got so far...

John Paul Mountainside is Juan Pablo Montoya
Johnny Carwash is Giovanni Lavaggi

The others will require more thought...

Bernd Schneider
Carlos Sainz
Pier-Luigi Martini
Luigi Fagioli
Mario Andretti

John Paul Mountainside is Juan Pablo Montoya
Johnny Carwash is Giovanni Lavaggi

The others will require more thought...

Peter Rogerson = Pedro Rodriguez

All correct so far apart from one.

John Miller = Jörg Müller

Not quite. Jörg Müller would be George Miller, not John.

Easy:
John Newhouse
Johnny Carwash - Giovanni Lavaggi
Bernard Taylor - Bernd Schneider
Carl Saintly - Carlos Sainz
Peter-Lewis Martin - Pierluigi Martini

Medium:
John Paul Mountainside - Juan Pablo Montoya
Peter Rogerson - Pedro Rodriguez
John Miller
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson

Hard:
Lewis Beans - Luigi Fagioli
Nick Lewis
Marc Andrews - Mario Andretti

Lavaggi was known during his brief time in F1 for his humorously translatable surname.
Despite being popular in Colombia, the surname Montoya is actually Basque in origin.
Fagioli really is the Italian word for beans.

Yvan Muller - John Miller?

Yes! The Alsace-Lorraine/Elsaß-Lothringen region on the right bank of the Rhein has been traded between France and Germany numerous times, giving rise to unexpected French surnames like Muller. I'm not sure if he has any Russian ancestry with Ivan being the East Slavic version of John.

Easy:
John Newhouse

Medium:
John Miller - Yvan Muller
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson

Hard:
Nick Lewis

Last edited:
Nick Lewis - Klaus Ludwig

Ding!

Klaus is short for Niklaus (the spelling can vary) which makes it the Nick to Nicholas.

So funnily enough, all the hard ones were done before all of the easy ones. I did write "John" Newhouse for a specific reason but I suppose you could use a nickname variant as well.

Easy:
John Newhouse

Medium:
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson

Hard:

John Newhouse seems to be a mistranslation of Jacques Villeneuve - a name which should be "Jacob Newtown". This is why I didn't say it earlier.

John Newhouse seems to be a mistranslation of Jacques Villeneuve - a name which should be "Jacob Newtown". This is why I didn't say it earlier.

Which is fair. It is Jacques Villeneuve but the reference I was going for was that weird period in the 1990s when Villeneuve had a trademark on his name or wouldn't allow his image rights to be used (whatever) and video games replaced his name with Driverone Williams (Formula 1 97) or the slightly more literal John Newhouse (Grand Prix 3). Maybe I overestimated how well known it was.

Easy:
John Newhouse - Jacques Villeneuve

Medium:
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson

Hard:

Still two more to get, which shouldn't be too difficult given that there aren't too many drivers with those first names.

Colin Deerson

Colin "Son of a Roe Deer" McRae

edit: Was having a play with this since I'm just really tired, I was pondering a few touring car drivers and came up with "Smokin'" Jo Anglesquat.. and now I've been giggling for about 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Colin "Son of a Roe Deer" McRae

Ding.

Rae is an old Scottish word for deer and Mc or Mac is the Scottish form of patronym.

Easy:
John Newhouse - Jacques Villeneuve

Medium:
Lawrence Littlefield
Colin Deerson - Colin McRae