MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
These threads really crack me up. Any of you "car guys" actually like cars at all?

View attachment 837020

View attachment 837017

View attachment 837019

View attachment 837018
The tilted 3/4 is the perfect angle of the car. I agree with the post above with the black trim, and it extends to the door and sticks out when you open it, a little bit of "what, why?" thing :lol:
Untitled-2.jpg

Went over it in photoshop, yeah it would clean it up a good bit.

Last edited:
No, they just like games of cars and photomode.

The only thing that's blatantly sticking out to me like "they should fix that" is the black edges on the side intake pod things. That should totally be body color imo. Hopefully will be an option

The tilted 3/4 is the perfect angle of the car. I agree with the post above with the black trim, and it extends to the door and sticks out when you open it, a little bit of "what, why?" thing :lol:
View attachment 837034

Went over it in photoshop, yeah it would clean it up a good bit.

It's already an option in the visualizer. Didn't even need Photoshop :lol: You can leave the mirrors and roof panel body colored too. I was just having fun, although I personally don't mind the accent on the side scoops.

In a few years once I have my Z06 paid off and they have some time to work out the kinks I hope this color is still available!

Corvette Stingray 2020(5).jpg

Not sure why all the hate here on this car. Most other places i look people love it. I think its looks great! There are some things that could be improved a little which im sure the future GS/Z06 models will be better but overall its pretty damn nice to me.

My honest opinion is there are allot of anti-american car enthusiasts here that have their feelings hurt that Chevy just produced a car for $60k that is in a class of cars double the price and will probably still outperform most of them.

This is the internet though. If someone disagrees with you and has a different opinion, why waste time actually respecting that person's opinion? It's far easier to immediately:

A) Label them a "hater", "troll" or other insufferable modern term.
B) Identify yourself as being correct and pitying all those "not in the know" because not everyone can be as special as you.
C) Immediately indicate that person is part of a bandwagon of biased mouthbreathers because...you decided they are.
D) All of the above so you can avoid having any form of conversation/debate as an adult.

It's 2019, surely we didn't expect functioning adults to understand that people have different opinions, even more so when we're talking about aesthetic designs. The easiest way to avoid differing opinions is to attempt to childishly vilify anyone who doesn't share your view. Makes sense...

Being a "car guy" doesn't mean blindly loving everything that a major car manufacturer produces. Guess what, I think Koenigseggs look like boiled ass. Always have. I don't care how expensive or mind-blowing they are from a technical standpoint. They're ugly cars. Never fallen over myself with regards tot he Pagani Zonda either. I can "appreciate" both of these cars without liking them. The same way I can appreciate the Corvette will still be the world beating, budget performance benchmark while finding much of its design busy and unnecessary.

It's already an option in the visualizer. Didn't even need Photoshop :lol: You can leave the mirrors and roof panel body colored too. I was just having fun, although I personally don't mind the accent on the side scoops.

In a few years once I have my Z06 paid off and they have some time to work out the kinks I hope this color is still available!

View attachment 837038
D'ah, I had a dark color on the bottom but I second guessed myself :lol::lol: I wasn't too far off

Not sure why all the hate here on this car. Most other places i look people love it. I think its looks great! There are some things that could be improved a little which im sure the future GS/Z06 models will be better but overall its pretty damn nice to me.

My honest opinion is there are allot of anti-american car enthusiasts here that have their feelings hurt that Chevy just produced a car for $60k that is in a class of cars double the price and will probably still outperform most of them.

Nonsense.

I've seen no hate. Some people don't like the looks of the car (I'm one of them) but loved previous Vettes.

That notion that any criticism of an American product is "anti-americanism" or whatever is just childish.

We're talking about how this car in particular looks. This is no political, social or philosophical issue.

Some americans simply need to accept that a lot of people think there are cars that look worse than others. It doesn't matter if they're american made or not.

The first generation Panamera was one of the ugliest cars ever made. But it evolved into a decent/good looking product.

Hopefully the MR Vette will evolve into a better looking car in the future - because it has a lot of room to improve.

Personally I think that your honest opinion is very wide of the mark, I think this car looks uglier than a Baboons anus (exaggeration intended), but I don't think that because it's American. I like a lot of American cars, particularly the classic muscle cars, but this looks like it's a Transformers toy or something. I just don't like the way it looks.

The price and performance is a whole different matter, for $60k I don't think I could name a better bangs-for-your-bucks car than this, road and performance tests pending. So am I anti-American, pro-American or is the fact that this car is American completely moot in relation to the way I feel about it?

Yeah cause my anti-American ass owned a Z06 at one point. @Tornado has a Corvette as well.

Personally I think that your honest opinion is very wide of the mark, I think this car looks uglier than a Baboons anus (exaggeration intended),

I rest my case as far as the constant negative comments on this particular site about this cars looks. Ive seen so many people elsewhere saying it looks like an american Ferrari but i never see anyone bashing the looks of Ferrari here.

Maybe anti-american was the incorrect term to use but this site has definitely been pro-European. I dont have a problem with it since i like European cars just the same. Allot of the comments just seem extremely biased.
You dont refute the performance because its simply fact and not opinion. The numbers dont lie and lap times wont either.

The Volt that came matches the C7 and Malibu is crazy highlights and sharp surfacing, and the Camaro that followed matches the same language, so does the Blazer, so on so forth.
attachment.php

It's so weird to hear the claim that the 6th Gen, styled so closely after the 5th that GM admitted they did it on purpose even though it caused confusion among buyers and carried forward the same design shortcomings, is actually derived from the C7; but the 5th gen (which people lined up to lambast the C7 for cribbing elements from it when it was first shown off) whose styling dates to 2006 is not relevant.

This is a nice piece on the logic behind the C8 design. We may like it or not, but there is a reason behind every shape and form, grounded in function and technology. There is even a reference to past mid-engine Corvette concepts (1:05) which shows lineage. This is indeed a collective work of passion and skill.

I guess all the other car manufacturers are just banging rocks together then.

It was a dumb argument when Greycap implied as if the only reason you'd prefer something a Pagani is if you were a Eurosnob. It's an even dumber argument when you made it more overt.

I suggest you look at the cars I own before you say similar dumb things in the future. Maybe even look at the car purchasing thread I had running only a few months ago before deciding what I decided on. Take a peek at McLaren's past cars too.

Last edited:
@Tornado
I dont recall saying anything to you or anything you said specifically. I never said there are 0 american car lovers here at all. It is a very large forum. You cant tell me that the majority of talk on this site arent of non-american cars. What i said doesnt imply every single person on this site, just in general.

Doesn't seem like it applies to anyone in this thread where the car is actually being discussed, since so many people are denying it so strongly every time a similar argument is raised, so much as you said something dumb and are trying to back away from it.

Doesn't seem like it applies to anyone in this thread where the car is actually being discussed, since so many people are denying it so strongly every time a similar argument is raised, so much as you said something dumb and are trying to back away from it.

Ive already admitted anti-American was the wrong term to use so i apologize for that. Everything else was pretty legit. The general consensus here is everyone hates the looks of it when everywhere else i go that has mostly American car enthusiasts loves it or at the very least likes it.

Another thought.

All the cars that now look quite silly for being nearly as expensive or more expensive than the C8:

-A90 Toyota Supra
-Shelby GT350
-Camaro ZL1
-Porsche Boxster
-Nissan GTR
-Jaguar F Type V6

I know Vettes are not for everyone, but I can't get over how much car this is for $60k. It basically makes everything on the market (competition or not) look overpriced. How on earth is a 370z Nismo only $15k cheaper than this? How is a base model BMW 5 series practically the same price? It practically matches the Ferrari F430 spec-for-spec, and is probably much, much faster as well.

That last bit is the march of progress in a nutshell, really. Even over in Prancing Horse land, the F8 Tributo would undoubtedly embarrass an Enzo around a circuit these days.

I think what this shows is that every one of those cars on your list, as well as the C8, are aiming at winning buyers over on emotional grounds versus bench racing, especially since even the lowest-performing car on that list has abilities way beyond what we can explore safely on public roads. Those that want a Supra will want a Supra no matter what else is out there that could out-perform it in the price range. The GT350/ZL1 will appeal to the pony car fans. A high-tech AWD bruiser the C8 is not, so the GT-R still has its niche — although I increasingly think of it as the Japanese Viper, in the sense that every one who wants one must surely own it by now...

The C8 will utterly demolish everything in its price range in the magazine comparos, no doubt about it. I genuinely expected the event to end with the announcement the base would be under $70k, not $60k. And at least when you're inside it, you'd get to look at the Jag in a high-def rear-view camera. :lol:

Ive seen so many people elsewhere saying it looks like an american Ferrari but i never see anyone bashing the looks of Ferrari here.

I guess you're not actually reading threads about latest Ferraris, then. :P

I rest my case as far as the constant negative comments on this particular site about this cars looks. Ive seen so many people elsewhere saying it looks like an american Ferrari but i never see anyone bashing the looks of Ferrari here.

Maybe anti-american was the incorrect term to use but this site has definitely been pro-European. I dont have a problem with it since i like European cars just the same. Allot of the comments just seem extremely biased.
You dont refute the performance because its simply fact and not opinion. The numbers dont lie and lap times wont either.

@Tornado
I dont recall saying anything to you or anything you said specifically. I never said there are 0 american car lovers here at all. It is a very large forum. You cant tell me that the majority of talk on this site arent of non-american cars. What i said doesnt imply every single person on this site, just in general.

Here are the top threads in this section:

gtplanet.jpg

Actually people here like american cars. You don't see people criticizing Ferrari models as much because people just don't care as much about Ferraris as they care about american cars. GTPplanet is an american website after all and I imagine a large portion, if not the majority of its active users are americans too.

That means, americans can also criticize (probably more with a passion) american iconic cars.

PS: Curiously enough, only Porsche appears on the top list of threads with more engagement. 1 European manufactuer.

Last edited:

So what about my-post suggests I'm anti-American or Pro-European? I appreciate you may not have meant anti-American, but what about my post suggests I'm pro-European or that where are car is made matters at all to me?

You mention American enthusiasts loving it, well doesn't that suggest people are loving the way it looks because it's American in those circumstances. Regardless, there are enough enthusiats on here who are saying they don't like the way it looks.

Maybe anti-american was the incorrect term to use but this site has definitely been pro-European.
We're an American website, our editorial language is US English, and the largest single nation for visitor traffic to the site is the USA...

Anyway, I just took some very rudimentary measurements of the height of the rear bodywork above the rear wheels, because it looks absolutely enormous to me - incongruously so - compared to other cars of this layout. And by "very rudimentary" I mean I took a side view of the car, Photoshopped the rear wheel above the existing rear wheel, worked out how much extra rear wheel you could fit in before daylight and then calculated that distance from the wheel size, and compared that to the same thing on some other cars:

C8 Corvette: 13.6 inches (~50% of a 305/30R20)
Lotus Evora 400: 12.0 inches (~45% of a 285/30R20)*
Audi R8: 11.6 inches (~45% of a 245/30R20)
Porsche 718 Boxster: 10.9 inches (~40% of a 265/35R20)
Honda NSX: 10.9 inches (~40% of a 305/30R20)
Ferrari 488 Pista: 9.5 inches (~35% of a 305/30R20)
McLaren 720S: 9.5 inches (~35% of a 305/30R20)

Seems my first instinct was not far from the mark.

Also, I'm guessing a lot of tyre companies have 305/30R20s to sell.

*Although it's glass rather than bodywork in the Evora's case

Last edited:
So what about my-post suggests I'm anti-American or Pro-European? I appreciate you may not have meant anti-American, but what about my post suggests I'm pro-European or that where are car is made matters at all to me?

You mention American enthusiasts loving it, well doesn't that suggest people are loving the way it looks because it's American in those circumstances. Regardless, there are enough enthusiats on here who are saying they don't like the way it looks.

If what i said doesn't apply to you then why did you respond as if it was? The original comment i made wasnt directed at you or any one person specifically.

If what i said doesn't apply to you then why did you respond as if it was? The original comment i made wasnt directed at you or any one person specifically.
Because you quoted me directly and said...
I rest my case...
Sweeping generalisations about an audience you do not know personally are no better.

Since you rested your case based on my previous post I would still like you to explain how.

I wonder if GM releasing their second ever mid engined car will cause an uptick in value of their first ever mid engined car :dopey:

Asking for a friend...

i never see anyone bashing the looks of Ferrari here.
If it helps I think modern Ferraris, apart from the GTC4, are fairly ugly. The 488 has better proportions than the C8 but I'm not sure it's any less ugly. And the 812 looks like they took something fairly attractive and attached it with a machete, as all the vents and scoops look dreadful.
The numbers dont lie and lap times wont either.
If sports cars were all about numbers then companies like Porsche and Lotus wouldn't sell a single car.

attachment.php

It's so weird to hear the claim that the 6th Gen, styled so closely after the 5th that GM admitted they did it on purpose even though it caused confusion among buyers and carried forward the same design shortcomings, is actually derived from the C7; but the 5th gen (which people lined up to lambast the C7 for cribbing elements from it when it was first shown off) whose styling dates to 2006 is not relevant.

I don't think you're getting what I'm trying to say. You seem to be talking about proportions, which are almost always determined by the engine placement, amount of seats, interior space, cargo space, and tires. You took a small part of my post to argue against, making it seem you disregarded the facts and chose one you could actually go up against making your point not seem very strong. The C7's styling does not date back to 2006. And I'll bet if I were to leave it at that, you'd show a picture of a C6 & C7 and say "Long hood and coupe, boom". That's not my point. There are actually MANY similarities between that Camaro on the left and the C7 in the way they are sculpted and the highlight treatment. In that generation, that was their design language across Chevy. The Camaro on the right has the same body style, but radically different approach in the styling. The C8 has an evolution of that design language, all new proportions, and a radically different approach to what we call a Corvette. Thus, polarizing opinions. I think the only thing they really carried as iconic bits was the four tailights and triangular headlights/

They didn't screw it up, they're doing their job.

How asinine to suggest people don't like this car because it's American. So are Challengers, Mustangs, Vipers and FR Vettes, but they are generally liked and why? Because they are proportionally correct for the body style they inhabit. This simply, is not. It has a rear end that looks like it could grace a Camry rivaling sedan, a rear deck length that wouldn't look out of place on an El Camino comeback and a pinched, squinty front end that already looks a decade out of date and air intakes so lacking in inspiration they could have been taken off the ZR1 - where they already look naff.

This is an absolute abortion, regardless of where it's from.

VXR
This is an absolute abortion, regardless of where it's from.
I'm sorry for your loss.

In all honesty, I do agree it looks a bit flawed, but it can only get better from here. Besides, it's a huge change to a familiar product and people generally hate change.

I wonder if GM releasing their second ever mid engined car will cause an uptick in value of their first ever mid engined car :dopey:

Asking for a friend...

Third.

Everyone forgets about the Corvair :lol:

Latest Posts

Back