MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
If they had moved the number plate down onto the black bit bellow and smoothed out that area where it currently sits it would look much less fussy. There’s just too much going on in a relatively small area as it is.

E9527DBC-4E52-4D69-94E2-3DAEF849868B.jpeg

ZR-1 Rendering

That's just someone sticking the C7 ZR1 bits onto a C8... I'm expecting something more along the lines of the Ford GT/Ferrari Pista for the hot version...

There probably won't be a scoop but I would bet that the frunk would go bye-bye and you'd have a giant hood vent from the bottom front that ran up to the windshield, passing through a radiator for the battery and controller. ZR1 is probably going to be built as a $140k-ish LaFerrari killer. I remember Bob Lutz on an episode of Carcast saying that the MR test mules were already faster than the new Ford GT. The C7 was supposed to be MR before the 2008 financial crisis happened.

It better shoot higher than being a LaFerrari killer. The Pista is already stepping over the TheFerrari’s toes and the SF90/F8 probably aren’t far behind.

Of course, by today’s rate of tech, the TheFerrari is 5 years old.

Ah, I wasn't aware that GM had a "hot-vee" production turbo, thanks.

Still, that's some impressively tidy manifolding, from the sound of the thing. Even the M6 GT3 and the (flat-plane, still hot-vee) M8 GTE aren't as clean-sounding as the C8.R. That said, the 488 GT3 / GTE is also a little rougher sounding despite the packaging and crank differences.

But if they're moving the turbos, then to where? I wouldn't be surprised if they moved them to the outside to give more room for a more torque efficient manifold / turbo setup, combined with a flatplane crank; the MR layout certainly affords the space.

Using the "Blackwing" as a basis could just be because it's already more optimised for forced induction (block and cylinder / head castings), but at 4.2 litres it's too big (limit is 4.0). Since the block can't be changed, that means pistons can't be much (if at all) smaller and that only leaves the stroke. If you're going to change the crank to make it shorter stroke, why not (like BMW) play with the configuration whilst you're in there?

Yes but they can destroke the engine if they need to to make it to regulation. I think as long as it's a production block it works. As for the turbo placement the claim is it will be as you said off the cylinder banks. There was a CAD model leaked showing it supposedly. I think they don't want to mess around too much with it because BMW has had some struggles but I blame that more on BoP than the actual engine itself at this point.

I understand what you're saying here a bit - that it takes money to really look outstanding. But I think that's not enough of an excuse in general (not speaking specifically about the vette here). Cars need to look good at every price point. If it doesn't look good, at least for what it is, it's hard to make people want to buy it and be seen in it (again, not speaking specifically about the vette here).

I get it, "it doesn't look as good as this $400k car" isn't fair. But at the same time "it doesn't look good" is fair.

I agree, and thanks for actually understanding the perspective I was coming form. You're right the car no matter what must look good to sale, but I'm primarily speaking from the aspect of people wanting a sub sixty thousand dollar car to look inside and out on par with a 250k-400k dollar car simply due to engine placement. As for it doesn't look good, that's fine to those that think that as well that's their personal subjective view on looks.

911 Turbo S or GT3 RS. Probably the GT3 RS

So you don't want to have a lower back by the time you get there... Turbo S by far would be a better choice, and by that extension so would the Vette over the GT3.
@Danoff that's a good point, I have a relatively inexpensive Alfa Romeo parked on my drive and my word, it's a looker (IMO at least). Brand new it would cost at least half of what tihs new Corvetee will cost, so really the price doesn't really reflect the looks and vice versa. To add further, the Lotus Esprit started at around £45-£50k when it was being built and that looked great for it's time and that was a mid-engined budget supercar in it's day too.

You're comparing a family car that automatically should be cheaper (unless executive luxury)? Price is pretty reflective of looks, due to the feasibility to create said looks with in the budget of the pre production of the car or any engineering assignment. It's why these insane concepts in any field that heavily watered down most times.

As for the Espirit which year are you talking about that supposedly the car cost that much because in 1995 the car was 80k and there were plenty of options for performance cars with much less expense and problems. It wasn't a budget supercar, especially when the car in today's world would be about 170k.

Last edited:
Those rear 3/4 angles of the C8, remind me of the the C5 Z06. A really long and flat looking rear with short greenhouse.
IMG_6946.JPG

It's as if the designers still don't know what to do with the rear. The C4 & C6 were last of the best rearends.

You're comparing a family car that automatically should be cheaper (unless executive luxury)? Price is pretty reflective of looks, due to the feasibility to create said looks with in the budget of the pre production of the car or any engineering assignment. It's why these insane concepts in any field that heavily watered down most times.

As for the Espirit which year are you talking about that supposedly the car cost that much because in 1995 the car was 80k and there were plenty of options for performance cars with much less expense and problems. It wasn't a budget supercar, especially when the car in today's world would be about 170k.
Comparing a familay car isn't irrelevant, as there are plenty of ugly family cars around, I'm simply making the point the looks aren't determined by price and vice/versa. As for that Esprit, it wouldn't be close to £170k today, if you account for inflation it's perhaph £85k in 2019, so fair enough it's not as cheap as this Corvettes US price, but still budget compared to general supercar prices. For reference though the Crovette C7 starts at £65.5k here in the UK which is about $82k USD so the UK prices and US prices can't be compared, they are different markets and invariably we pay far more for cars here than you do in the US which is a shame.

Going back to the Esprit and mid-90's, you couldn't buy a new Ferrari in 1995 for £45k. For reference, a Ferrari 355 in 1994 was £82.5k which would be in the region of £161k in todays money, so there's no comparison, the Lotus was cheap for a supercar in it's day. My point stands, looks are not determined by price and price is not determined by looks, the Corvette is ugly IMO and that has nothing to do with it's price.

Last edited:
As for the Espirit which year are you talking about that supposedly the car cost that much because in 1995 the car was 80k and there were plenty of options for performance cars with much less expense and problems.
In the US in the late 90s for less money than an Esprit there was the Viper, and then... ???

Not that the argument is holds much water anyway since the Corvette has always been styled as the development team desired it; targa on the C4 notwithstanding. It was explicitly Harley Earl's baby, and damn the expense, in the 50s, then it was Bill Mitchell's/Larry Shinoda's and damn the practicality in the 60's and 70's, and Jerry Palmer's in the 80s, and John Cafaro's in the 90s...

Last edited:
When going from a front-engine design to a mid-engine design, you have to engineer such a vehicle in a different way. It isn't as if you can simply change up a drivetrain magically and have a much better engineered car than an original layout. This is probably the biggest technical thing I am concerned with in the Corvette going from front/RWD to mid/RWD. I mean... is it still going to feel like a Corvette? Is it going to feel like a regular Corvette... only mid-engined? Or will it be something completely different to even the most discriminating Corvette lover? This will really be my concern with the C8 Corvette.

When going from a front-engine design to a mid-engine design, you have to engineer such a vehicle in a different way. It isn't as if you can simply change up a drivetrain magically and have a much better engineered car than an original layout. This is probably the biggest technical thing I am concerned with in the Corvette going from front/RWD to mid/RWD. I mean... is it still going to feel like a Corvette? Is it going to feel like a regular Corvette... only mid-engined? Or will it be something completely different to even the most discriminating Corvette lover? This will really be my concern with the C8 Corvette.

That's why I'm curious to drive one once the Chevy dealer I work for gets one.

The more I try digest this car, the more it feels like Chevrolet wanted to give the Camaro a more serious sibling rather than giving the C7 a successor.

The more I try digest this car, the more it feels like Chevrolet wanted to give the Camaro a more serious sibling rather than giving the C7 a successor.
I was hoping so or atleast a Corvette sibling.

So why they called it C8 Corvette? I mean "Chevrolet Daytona DP1" name sounds much more perfect IMHO.

I would call myself a big time long time Corvette fan so when I first heard of the MR C8 I was dissappointed given that I thought this would launch the car over $100k and I'm a traditionalist... a "Corvette" is a 6 spd man. pushrod V8 in the FR layout with the motor behind the front axle.

I think it also comes down a lot to price. If you offer a $60k MR quasi supercar then I'm more welcoming to the thought of an MR Corvette.

I dont think I'm a fan of the styling... it looks like an angular American-ised Ferrari 360/430.

I feel like this is an ok 'first effort' and that the styling will grow and get better as 2nd gen. models come out.

I agree the side profile is ok but every other angle always look a bit odd.

2020-Chevrolet-Corvette-C8-4.jpg

Like this front angle is just awkward as hell. I mean even the fictious cars in GTA4/5 look more natural than this. That front air dam is just awful.

I'm sure the car looks better in person.

But look, the numbers dont like... even the std model is amazingly fast... 495hp 3.6 0-60 8 spd dual clutch, should be something like 3,600lb. $60k.

It makes most other competitve sports, super sports, supercars up to $200-$250k hard to justify.

Hmm, the second image looks pretty fetching actually. The final design, to my eyes, looks like a production/constructability compromise. It was value engineered to hit the sub-$60k price point.

Don't know if anyone posted the Jay Leno first look at it, but that rear... surely they could have worked in the four round tailights. Unless those are destined for a future update to the design.

Back