MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,295 comments
Why, last time Cadillac did a an expensive sport car it sucked. So unless it's like the Cien, it might as well be a MR Vette.

The Corvette's platform has always worked just fine. There is no reason to switch it to mid-engine. Cadillac needs a car that will wow the public. Right now their lineup isn't remotely interesting. They should have a car that will bring everyone's attention back to the brand in a positive way.

Eh, if I was GM I would have this as a Corvette then make both separate from Chevrolet as a stand alone Corvette Brand.

Cadillac is too tainted by it's past high end crap.

Dan
The Corvette's platform has always worked just fine. There is no reason to switch it to mid-engine. Cadillac needs a car that will wow the public. Right now their lineup isn't remotely interesting. They should have a car that will bring everyone's attention back to the brand in a positive way.

Sure there is, the idea that it shouldn't switch or have a one off is silly. It seems more that people want to keep the status quo, and nothing about the car being a bad idea performance wise all around. In reality the people saying no, are thinking about an icon, and to me who cares...icons do change

As for the line up not being interesting, I would love for you to explain how that's the case. And if it's so uninteresting then why would a super car that only few could afford, bring perspective back to them...?

I'm not entirely sure how the XLR could be used as an example when talking about a car that could potentially be their attempt at challenging cars like Audi R8 and the new NSX.

Well considering the parallels of used Corvette technology for one...

It seems more likely to be a one off Vette to race with

Well considering the parallels of used Corvette technology for one...
It wasn't as much of a mid-engined halo model supercar as a 2-seater roadster meant to compete with the Mercedes-Benz SL. The XLR wouldn't be the first car I'd think if I was working for GM and they were thinking about making a mid-engined R8 rival.

I'm not saying that they they're going to make a mid-engined Cadillac, but that the XLR is hardly a reason why they wouldn't come up with a car to compete with a car that has so far been relatively successful.

It wasn't as much of a mid-engined halo model supercar as a 2-seater roadster meant to compete with the Mercedes-Benz SL. The XLR wouldn't be the first car I'd think if I was working for GM and they were thinking about making a mid-engined R8 rival.

No one said it should be, but just like many other things Cadillac that turn into high end, they take from sibling manufactures obviously.

I'm not saying that they they're going to make a mid-engined Cadillac, but that the XLR is hardly a reason why they wouldn't come up with a car to compete with a car that has so far been relatively successful.

So for this part, yes I think it is because Cadillac hasn't had much success ever of trying to get into the sports car market and the moments they try it always comes about as being nothing more than a Vette with Cadillac skin. It's not a great selling point, so why do it? It seems far more likely that they could build a once mythical car (still is until it's green lit for manufacturing) due to the vast change in GTE rules. And help bring them better success in a series and race that helps sell Corvettes to begin with.

However this is equally silly because I highly doubt that the Vette is losing sells to a halo car from Ford whose buyer base is hand picked in the first place.

This whole thing with a supposed Cadillac halo car that's not a 4 door sedan and their whole DPI effort still makes me think this will be an MR Cadillac. But as said above, I like the idea of some sort of super corvette built specifically so they can have an MR car in the LMGTE class since they seem to be falling behind the MR cars.

Dan
Really? The V line hasn't done anything remotely interesting?

Cadillac is in a much better place now than it was several years ago. They've worked hard to shave the perception of an "Old Man Car" unlike Lincoln. I don't know which way GM intends to go with this MR platform, but if it makes its way to Cadillac, I highly doubt it will be done to put the brand in a positive light.

Dan
Please be a Cadillac. Please be a Cadillac.

Subscription industry info says the Corvette comes in spring 2019, and the Cadillac in 2021. It also says the Corvette will have both a 6.2 OHV engine and 4.2 DOHC, while the Cadillac will only get the 4.2L. Caddy will get the A10 and M7, the Corvette will get the A10, M7, and a DCT7. Again none of this is confirmed but this is info that suppliers and IHS and such have so you might be able to put some faith in the info.

Just an FYI....
FB_IMG_1485971413078.jpg

Last time they stopped the tours was so they could retool the plant for C7 production.....

I work for a big time Chevy dealership around here. Tonawanda engine plant is retooling and I heard from a few characters that this car is on the way. The place is being EXTREMELY secretive.

Subscription industry info says the Corvette comes in spring 2019, and the Cadillac in 2021. It also says the Corvette will have both a 6.2 OHV engine and 4.2 DOHC, while the Cadillac will only get the 4.2L. Caddy will get the A10 and M7, the Corvette will get the A10, M7, and a DCT7. Again none of this is confirmed but this is info that suppliers and IHS and such have so you might be able to put some faith in the info.

Wow, 4.2 DOHC...hmmm sounds quite like something you'd see for GTE Pro if it actually exists. Plus it'd be a much better engine to use because you can do what with it again? Strap turbos to it they say and go race? And there is a reported DCT7, I don't know about you but that sounds like a GM effort to try and take back the world endurance crown for a long time going.

See Cadillac making the DPi program doesn't mean anything industry wise any more than it did when it was called a Corvette DP. Other than product exposure. And considering a production car doesn't need to exist for the DPi to exist gives even more reason to a GTE replacement. Porsche just did theirs, Ford will be this way until the end most likely, and Ferrari brought there car in last year. With BMW to bring an official GTE next year. It's about time GM replace the C7R. Time flies sadly.

Wow, 4.2 DOHC...hmmm sounds quite like something you'd see for GTE Pro if it actually exists. Plus it'd be a much better engine to use because you can do what with it again? Strap turbos to it they say and go race? And there is a reported DCT7, I don't know about you but that sounds like a GM effort to try and take back the world endurance crown for a long time going.

See Cadillac making the DPi program doesn't mean anything industry wise any more than it did when it was called a Corvette DP. Other than product exposure. And considering a production car doesn't need to exist for the DPi to exist gives even more reason to a GTE replacement. Porsche just did theirs, Ford will be this way until the end most likely, and Ferrari brought there car in last year. With BMW to bring an official GTE next year. It's about time GM replace the C7R. Time flies sadly.
Porsche showed at Daytona though showed that the NA Flat 6 still has legs, and Aston showed an NA V8 (of smaller displacement) has legs too. I think it'll be NA or supercharged.

Edit: And now after seeing the possible 991 successor going turbo possibly...I take that back. :( Anything to hold off the electric menace I suppose though. I really hope the Corvette still has an FR "affordable" option though. I cannot imagine it being under $80,000 as a twin turbo MR car.

Last edited:
Porsche showed at Daytona though showed that the NA Flat 6 still has legs, and Aston showed an NA V8 (of smaller displacement) has legs too. I think it'll be NA or supercharged.

It wont be supercharged, it may be NA, what you fail to remember is that one they've experimented with twin turbo while testing for the sixth gen ZR1, and it didn't go good. But they know that their is a potential there, and it's been claimed industry wide for a while, that the only way to achieve the power they want in a turbo application would be moving from push rod. Second those examples you give are because of their buyer basis, and Aston crying every week for a new BoP or else. Porsche changed and got faster because of the allocation of the new engine and balancing works better now than prior. The engine was never the issue to begin with, it was the entire design philosophy for the type of racing they had pursued.

Edit: And now after seeing the possible 991 successor going turbo possibly...I take that back. :( Anything to hold off the electric menace I suppose though. I really hope the Corvette still has an FR "affordable" option though. I cannot imagine it being under $80,000 as a twin turbo MR car.

Don't see a problem with an all electric 911. As for the FR option, why can't their be a world with both, a special built to order Vette that happens to be a first time Halo car, and the regular run of the mill Vette?

It would be cool if they brought back the XLR name for a mid engine car based on the new platform.
Eh, the XLR was a completely different concept, being an FR roadster and not a mid-engined super car. However, I feel that it would make more sense to revive the Cien nameplate from the concept car, which was, as you probably know, a mid-engined super car.

Or they may name it something with the CTx V convention that all modern Cadillacs bar the Escalade use. Who knows.

Eh, the XLR was a completely different concept, being an FR roadster and not a mid-engined super car. However, I feel that it would make more sense to revive the Cien nameplate from the concept car, which was, as you probably know, a mid-engined super car.

Or they may name it something with the CTx V convention that all modern Cadillacs bar the Escalade use. Who knows.
Or they'd get creative and name it the DPi-V (after the DPi-V.R :P ).

It'll be a second car in the Corvette stable. Easy to sell the two in Europe under the Corvette brand only as well, rather than a whole dealer network for a single model.

Okay, but my point is that the XLR was based on the Corvette. They could also possibly make it a standalone V model.

I really hope the Corvette still has an FR "affordable" option though. I cannot imagine it being under $80,000 as a twin turbo MR car.

They'll be sold along side until the C7 is phased out. Hence why the MR Corvette will get the 6.2 OHV (To keep a "base" model in the range) engine along with the 4.2 DOHC.

Just an FYI....View attachment 624604

Last time they stopped the tours was so they could retool the plant for C7 production.....

From what I've seen production for this car is set to begin in Jan '19 with deliveries starting in March so whatever they're doing is probably for a C7 model.

See Cadillac making the DPi program doesn't mean anything industry wise any more than it did when it was called a Corvette DP.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DPi qualifies as a LMP2 competitor now, right? I'd think that there would be at least some glory for Cadillac to run it at LeMans if they decided to do it.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the DPi qualifies as a LMP2 competitor now, right? I'd think that there would be at least some glory for Cadillac to run it at LeMans if they decided to do it.

It is an LMP2 Competitor and uses the same manufactures as the global LMP2, however the FIA and ACO would disagree with you in the regards of running at Le Mans, since the DPi program is a more manufactured based program, and runs IMSA spec stuff. So when you compared say GTLM which actually abides by FIA not so much IMSA other than BoP and is a IMSA category only in relation but really an American GTE (I mean there are questionable things allowed like the M6 GTLM). The DPi isn't that, it's suppose to be the premier series and thus functions like it with some FIA imput and a lot more IMSA regulations. Thus IMSA engine rules, spec electronics from Cosworth, manufactures getting to make specified bodies that distinguish them and different low down force aero. In the end it's just Cadi saying "hey we run in the highest tier AMERICAN sports car category and are winning"

I was pretty sure these DPi while respecting FIA LMP2 rules in regards to chassis manufacturing, are not in line with regulations in the many other areas needed. So it's been suggested that they perhaps could run in the regular P1 class that isn't hybrid. Though not sure if that'd be allowed since these are manufactures racing are not privateers. P1-hy seems to be the designated class for manufactures, thus these guys would need to fulfill it.

Which brings me back to my original comment. Having seen a GM Motorsports rep come to our universities SAE meeting one year (when I actually cared to go), it's obvious they care far more about domestic racing than anything else. So if they could keep being successful but put one of their other brands on the nameplate to sell more cars, why not. I feel like if they just put Buick on their Indy cars they'd have the entire GM car base wrapped up nicely.

Back