MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
I wouldn't mind too much if the Corvette went mid-engined. If you looked up some Corvette concept cars, you'll find a fair few of them to be mid-engined. GM had obviously wanted to build a production MR Vette for years.
Every sports car has been a mid-engined prototype at some point, even the Mustang had a mid-engined prototype in the 70's.

GM had obviously wanted to build a production MR Vette for years.
No, Zora Arkus Duntov (and to a lesser extent, Bill Mitchell) wanted to build a production MR Corvette for years. No one else on the fourteenth floor was ever too terribly enamored with the idea, and once Mitchell left GM quickly kiboshed the AeroVette and pushed the C3 for a few more years instead.

Last edited:
No, Zora Arkus Duntov (and to a lesser extent, Bill Mitchell) wanted to build a production MR Corvette for years. No one else on the fourteenth floor was ever too terribly enamored with the idea, and once Mitchell left GM quickly kiboshed the AeroVette and pushed the C3 for a few more years instead.

Oh. Thanks for the correction. So that's also why they're thinking of calling the new car the Corvette Zora.

Or better yet, stop being a tease and finally build a car that carries the Grand National badge, or better yet, GNX badge. They do have the ownership of those names. Nobody wants MR Corvette, but almost everyone would love to have GN or GNX.

Wouldn't the GNX just end up being a meh V6 FWD/AWD sedan?

Depends on who you ask and where the rumor mill has been turning.

The last GN/GNX rumors were banking on GM pulling the trigger with the Avenir and Avista, both of which would be easily adapted to a high performance option given their relationship to the Cadillac CT6 and Chevrolet Camaro respectively. Buick has stated that neither are in-line for production, which of course, has a bunch of GM fans rather upset. I can certainly understand why the Avista wouldn't happen, after all, it would very likely cannibalize sales of the ATS (which has already had a tough enough time on it's own). The Avenir on the other hand has had its styling adapted in the new Buick LaCrosse, and while I absolutely believe there is room for a full-size luxury, rear-drive sedan at Buick, again, it may step a little too much on the toes of the forthcoming CT6.

So, that leaves us with the more likely option of just continuing on with the Buick GS for now, very likely transferring to the next-generation Regal. The E2XX chassis has been pretty well accepted as a halfway decent chassis, it will be interesting to see what Buick (ahem, Opel) comes up with for an Insignia replacement, and whatever that OPC/VXR/GS variant ends up being.

Wouldn't the GNX just end up being a meh V6 FWD/AWD sedan?

No cause that's not what the GNX ever was. I mean if they did decide to go AWD then they'd be barking up the same line of performance as other TT V6 awd cars.

To be honest since @YSSMAN just reminded me, and I've actually thought this myself during its release. But I'd say if people wanted a modern GNX so bad, the should go buy and ATS V. Problem solved. It's an amazing piece of kit I think and play a good homage to the GN/GNX without actually being those cars, and you can get a sedan or coupe.

It'sHappening.GIF

chevy-corvette-spies-11-1.jpg

chevy-corvette-spies-12-1.jpg

The picture quality doesn't get much better than this.

I really do wonder if this will be a Corvette or they'll call it something different under the Corvette brand. Something sort of like the Corvette Indy concept back in the 80's.

chevy_corvette_indy_red_01.jpg

I honestly can't see them giving up the relatively cheap front engine, rear wheel drive platform to make something more complex and probably more expensive.

$80k for a Corvette would really hurt sales. Right now for $55k the car is fairly affordable for a sports car and there are people who can fairly easily justify it given that they sell nearly 40,000 of them a year. Tacking another $25k on to the Vette's base bumps it up to unattainable for a whole slew of people who will probably just buy a $50,000 Camaro SS.

So I want the Viper to get a twin-turbo V8 and different body dimensions to compete with the 911 and F-Type, and people don't seem to have a big problem with the corvette going MR?

So I want the Viper to get a twin-turbo V8 and different body dimensions to compete with the 911 and F-Type, and people don't seem to have a big problem with the corvette going MR?

I don't know about that, there's a whole lot of people who seem to share an opinion that is the polar opposite.

Frankly, I'm not exactly a fan of either. I feel the Corvette won't be the bargain Front-End Sports car that's far more attainable then most of the rear engine competition and Honestly, a V8 Viper pretty much kills one of the big things makes the Viper the unique American Sports car it is.

Last edited:
It'sHappening.GIF

chevy-corvette-spies-11-1.jpg

chevy-corvette-spies-12-1.jpg

The picture quality doesn't get much better than this.
The C5 had quite the extend ass... no one ever considered it a mid engine cause it wasn't. Why is this different? Doesn't look it from this image.

Even if pricing were to remain about the same, an MR Corvette just wouldn't seem right.

Well that's cause your old and don't like change most of the time :sly: 👍

I don't really care as long as they don't try to go insane and do a flat plane 120 quad cam V8 or something insane to that affect.

The C5 had quite the extend ass... no one ever considered it a mid engine cause it wasn't. Why is this different? Doesn't look it from this image.

From what I've read, it seems like the flying buttresses make people thing that spy shot is an MR Corvette.

From what I've read, it seems like the flying buttresses make people thing that spy shot is an MR Corvette.

I don't see it especially considering the back end doesn't seem to share MR qualities. Rather it looks like the current car to be honest. The back window and the C-pillars are strange but it seems recessed to improve rear end aero.

Too grainy to tell anything useful. That could be Doc Brown finally showing up for all we know.

I just can't see GM going the exotic MR route when they have a solid seller.

Time will tell I guess.

I don't see it especially considering the back end doesn't seem to share MR qualities. Rather it looks like the current car to be honest. The back window and the C-pillars are strange but it seems recessed to improve rear end aero.

I can agree with that, I don't really see it as an MR either. It might be a case of people wanting to believe something so much that they see it, also Car & Driver spreading rumors isn't really helping it either. I know camo does a really good job of hiding details of a car so maybe GM is trying to imitate an MR because they want people to run with that story.

Also better question how the hell did they get on the GM proving ground to get that picture...

It's a long ways off, like probably more than a mile, but you can see the test track from various places around Milford and if you have a really expensive lens you could snap a picture if you were in the right spot.

Well that's cause your old and don't like change most of the time :sly: 👍

Hey now, I'm not that old. :lol:

It's just an MR Corvette wouldn't seem right, IMO. It'd be like if Porsche made an FR 911.

I don't really care as long as they don't try to go insane and do a flat plane 120 quad cam V8 or something insane to that affect.

This I can agree with. 👍

I can agree with that, I don't really see it as an MR either. It might be a case of people wanting to believe something so much that they see it, also Car & Driver spreading rumors isn't really helping it either. I know camo does a really good job of hiding details of a car so maybe GM is trying to imitate an MR because they want people to run with that story.

No the rumors for the past 4 years and couple decades prior to that haven't helped anything, each new generation of car fans comes to learn about this and then hype it up. It could happen, but the question is why?

It's a long ways off, like probably more than a mile, but you can see the test track from various places around Milford and if you have a really expensive lens you could snap a picture if you were in the right spot.

But that's on the proving ground in Yuma, unless the milford one looks the same, cause that looks exactly like parts of the track I've seen. However, it makes sense if it's that far out, I just find it strange cause the Desert proving ground is inside the Military proving ground it shares with the US gov.

Hey now, I'm not that old. :lol:

It's just an MR Corvette wouldn't seem right, IMO. It'd be like if Porsche made an FR 911.

But there are plans for an mid engine and that to me is strange even if it's still behind the driver.

This I can agree with. 👍

Yeah I'm fine with certain things, but trying to go super modern on the working mans sport car isn't really necessary. There is a car company within GM that is already dedicated to making expensive stuff. Why not try it there...like they concepted in 2002. (GM fans will instantly get the reference)

Last edited:
But there are plans for an mid engine and that to me is strange even if it's still behind the driver.

Yeah, that would be a bit strange.

Yeah I'm fine with certain things, but trying to go super modern on the working mans sport car isn't really necessary. This is a car company within GM that is already dedicated to making expensive stuff. Why not try it there...like they concepted in 2002. (GM fans will instantly get the reference)

I get the reference, and think you are right about that. I'm not too worried about GM going super modern with the Corvette's engine. They tried that in the 90's and there are plenty of reasons why there was no successor for the LT5.

Back