MR Corvette C8 - General Discussion

• Thread starter CodeRedR51
  • 1,292 comments
So I want the Viper to get a twin-turbo V8 and different body dimensions to compete with the 911 and F-Type, and people don't seem to have a big problem with the corvette going MR?
The thing about that is that the Viper was never really planned to be something like that I don't think. Zora Arkus-Duntov originally planned the Corvette to be a mid engine car, it's just that they've never followed through on the idea outside of numerous concepts. However, I still don't know what to believe anymore. I'm still a bit hesitant to believe GM is actually making a mid engine Corvette, or even putting out the C8 so soon regardless of drivetrain. I'll believe it when I see a production ready car.

The thing about that is that the Viper was never really planned to be something like that I don't think. Zora Arkus-Duntov originally planned the Corvette to be a mid engine car, it's just that they've never followed through on the idea outside of numerous concepts. However, I still don't know what to believe anymore. I'm still a bit hesitant to believe GM is actually making a mid engine Corvette, or even putting out the C8 so soon regardless of drivetrain. I'll believe it when I see a production ready car.
Personally, I prefer the FR configuration for Corvettes. They've been FR for 63 years, why change it?

Personally, I prefer the FR configuration for Corvettes. They've been FR for 63 years, why change it?
At the very least, I'd like to see them sell both front and mid engine models with the Corvette name side by side, and position the mid engine models at a higher price and performance range.

I can agree with that, I don't really see it as an MR either. It might be a case of people wanting to believe something so much that they see it, also Car & Driver spreading rumors isn't really helping it either.
Motor Trend was even worse about it. "Yeah, this pretty much looks like a Corvette C7 with the rear window swapped for flying buttresses, but that's only because this mid engined Corvette prototype is ingeniously covered with Corvette body panels".

Exactly, its our "911" so to speak. It's an FR car, and that's how it should be. Now, if this was a higher up version and named "Corvette Daytona" or something, like its a tribute to the Daytona Prototype Corvette's, then that'd be alright.

While I don't think an MR Corvette is a good idea, perhaps making a modern version of the Fiero would be better. Pull one of the Ecotec fours from any of their other models, give it a stick and a sub 30K base price,and it might do pretty well.

8181623_orig.jpg

Pre-facelift C3s had buttresses. I don't think it should be an automatic indication of a mid-engine setup, either.
It's the proportions, mane. It's mid-engined. Maybe not the C8, maybe a special car, but it's mid-engined.

While I don't think an MR Corvette is a good idea, perhaps making a modern version of the Fiero would be better. Pull one of the Ecotec fours from any of their other models, give it a stick and a sub 30K base price,and it might do pretty well.
Could be they want to make more per car. Wasn't there rumors that Dodge got $20k-30k off of each Hellcat?

Can't really get that kinda profit margin off a sub $30k car can you?

Guess that's true. Although, giving it an 80k base price like some articles suggest might drive everyone away.

Exactly, its our "911" so to speak. It's an FR car, and that's how it should be. Now, if this was a higher up version and named "Corvette Daytona" or something, like its a tribute to the Daytona Prototype Corvette's, then that'd be alright.
Car and Driver has also promoted rumors of the mid engine Corvette being called the Corvette Zora. Although a road going counterpart to the Corvette Daytona Prototype would be cool. Also, I feel the need to post this:
dissected-2014-porsche-911-gt3-inline-1-photo-513261-s-original.jpg

The problem is that there might not be a market for a sub-30K mid engine car. Such a vehicle wouldn't have many natural competitors outside of maybe the Miata. However, a mid engine Corvette priced in the 80-100 thousand range would have plenty of natural competitors.

Guess that's true. Although, giving it an 80k base price like some articles suggest might drive everyone away.

Depending on how much power it has (I'd expect at least as much power as the Stingray), I'm sure they'll have no trouble selling a mid engine Corvette for 80 grand. Such a price would still substantially undercut the 911 Carrera S. Okay, maybe it'll be a tough sell considering the Z06 starts at around that much, but there's bound to be takers.

Even if 80 grand is cheap in comparison to it's European competition, I think they may be in a bit of a weird spot still. The traditional Corvette buyer won't like that it's gone away from it's roots as an affordable FR sports car, and those with the money to buy, say, a Porsche or Ferrari will overlook it because it doesn't have the pedigree or exclusivity of said manufacturers.

Even if 80 grand is cheap in comparison to it's European competition, I think they may be in a bit of a weird spot still. The traditional Corvette buyer won't like that it's gone away from it's roots as an affordable FR sports car, and those with the money to buy, say, a Porsche or Ferrari will overlook it because it doesn't have the pedigree or exclusivity of said manufacturers.
I wouldn't be so sure about that. The MR Corvette may prove itself to be a formidable opponent. We will have to wait for tests to see just how good the car is.

The $80,000 price tag has to be pure speculation based on... well, I'm assuming nothing.

In 1998, the base price for a C5 Corvette was around $40,000 where as now, it's currently, $55,400 for a C7 (oddly enough, just around the price of a fully loaded C5 Z06 in 2004). And yet, we're to believe 2 years from now in late 2018, the base price will suddenly jump from $55,000 to $80,000 starting? It took nearly 20 years and 3 generations to accumulate a $15,000 increase in base price for the Corvette, and suddenly, it's jumping an additional $25,000 from the C7 to C8 generation? Baloney.

Yup, now it seems that GM will either produce the mid-engine corvette alongside the C7 as the "Zora ZR1" or whatever they're going to call it, or they're planning to axe the C7 very early in the cycle and come out with the mid-engine one, which doesn't make much sense to me. Only time will tell, and that time seems very soon now.

Just a thought, but with GTE regs in the WEC having changed, is the MR Corvette a way to make a new GTE Corvette that takes advantage of the regs?

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-ne...ion-upgrade-from-general-motors-ar173623.html

Corvette plant is getting a $290 Million upgrade to prep for next-gen corvette.
Okay, this is interesting.

Just a thought, but with GTE regs in the WEC having changed, is the MR Corvette a way to make a new GTE Corvette that takes advantage of the regs?
Not sure. I don't know what the GTE regulations look like. But now I wonder if Chevrolet is aiming at the Ford GT, both on the road and in GTE.

It took nearly 20 years and 3 generations to accumulate a $15,000 increase in base price for the Corvette, and suddenly, it's jumping an additional $25,000 from the C7 to C8 generation? Baloney.

The main thing being that, if it does go mid-engined(I'm not even gonna speculate whether it will or not) production costs would be substantially higher. You can't just design an entirely new platform with a traditionally costly layout without spending some serious cash on research and development, and the cost of that R&D would likely be reflected in the price. Every new Corvette has basically been refining a classic formula, so starting from the ground up with a new formula would take a lot more doing than any developments Corvette has made since they first hit the streets.

I've also seen rumours that this might be Cadillacs chance to pull the trigger on the Ciel concept. Which, I mean, realistically I seriously doubt it, but a man can dream.

The main thing being that, if it does go mid-engined(I'm not even gonna speculate whether it will or not) production costs would be substantially higher. You can't just design an entirely new platform with a traditionally costly layout without spending some serious cash on research and development, and the cost of that R&D would likely be reflected in the price. Every new Corvette has basically been refining a classic formula, so starting from the ground up with a new formula would take a lot more doing than any developments Corvette has made since they first hit the streets.

I've also seen rumours that this might be Cadillacs chance to pull the trigger on the Ciel concept. Which, I mean, realistically I seriously doubt it, but a man can dream.
Like the R8 to the Gallardo?

Nobody beyond the rich diehards is going to accept paying $80,000 for a 450-500Hp Corvette just because it's MR when a less than 2-year old Z06 was asking the same price & producing 200-150Hp more. The MR platform would have to perform unbelievably in comparison.

This ignoring the fact that the biggest selling point for the Corvette in review comparisons is its affordability. The car is not appreciating $25,000 in value because the engine got put in the back. Chevrolet is not stupid & knows there will be a backlash from Corvette owners. The only positive outcome in this is watching Corvette values rise if the FR platform dies with the C7.

And what if it ends up being a mid engined cadillac halo car like Jalopnik noted? Wouldn't be the first time a Cadillac was made alongside corvettes at the bowling Green plant...

Last edited:
And what if ends up being a mid engined cadillac halo carlike Jalopnik noted? Wouldn't be the first time a Cadillac was made alongside corvettes at the bowling Green plant...

I wouldn't mind if Cadillac had a radical, new car; just leave the Corvette the way it is. In fact, I want this for Cadillac. Their current lineup barely interests me, so they need something to refresh the brand and attract attention once again. The XLR did this, but they had a short run.

And what if ends up being a mid engined cadillac halo carlike Jalopnik noted? Wouldn't be the first time a Cadillac was made alongside corvettes at the bowling Green plant...
True, although that didn't exactly end up being a good thing, either. Price was a bit much for what Caddy was offering & I think most preferred settling for the cheaper Vette.

I know everyone frowns on hear-say. Especially on this site. So take this with a grain of salt if you want. I'm not one who would try and bull:censored: something like this.

At work today just before my shift ended I did an oil change on what turned out to be a GM employees car who works at the Tonawanda engine plant in Buffalo. In discussion it turns out her father in law, husband and herself have worked that for many years, her, 17, her husband 19. In conversation, this is what came up.

This plant specifically built truck motors, Cadillac engines and engines dedicated to the Corvette. In her words, she said to me, that the plant was to be getting a new engine line, and they are retooling the plant now, and positions will be opening for hire. She went into details with that on me, then we gor back into what kind of new engine this would be. She said specifically that it would be a turbo engine similar to to how they turboed the Cruze, made for Cadillacs (specifically the CTS-V) and the Corvette, and that it was a V8, and that it should appear sometime soon. Couldn't et anymore out of her. I questioned where this information was sourced, and she specifically said "directly from GM". This lady was in her late 40s and very nice, and I would highly doubt she would lie, especially after disclosing details and a job offer.

I asked about the possibility of a mid engined Corvette to which she replied "I don't really know much about that" but facial expressions seemed to tell another story.

So take it how it is. How I heard it directly from a GM employee today. I have no reason to BS this so its up to you weather or not you believe it.

Turbo V8 is something I believe would be in her purview to know and seems logical.

Mid engine Corvette that even hypothetically would be still in design phase, I highly doubt it, even if she was the plant supervisor.

Back