Museumsteve's multiscreen project

I forgot to ask how is your screen material working?

It's excellent mate..
Cant remember if I mentioned before but I ended up re-doing the screens. I used thick photo paper as a base over the frames to ensure a perfectly flat surface then the screen material over the top. and it's great. I immediately saw the difference over the white foam boards I had been using, the screen material gives a proper depth to the picture and of course no projector hotspots.
I'm getting ready for the next stage which will be motion I think as I've setup eyefinity now and just a few hours on various PC racers and I know I'm gonna be hooked.

I've been a busy boy enjoy some racing in between setting up a PC for the rig.

Monday I'll be getting the new wall racking for the consoles so I can get stuff off the unit and give me more space.

I've also decided to give motion a go so am in the process of getting and trying out a 2dof wiper motor setup...just to give me a taster, then who knows ;)

What a GREAT idea with the game disks! Im also going to steal that idea from you, nice and creative. Looking forward to seeing how this room turns out

Getting back onto things again this week.
This evening I put up a set of corner floating shelves, this is just for the consoles - 4 x Xbox 360 and 3 x PS3. I'm hoping to have the cabling in place tomorrow then just to find a small neat corner unit for the 2 amps and a monster trunking to hide everything :D

picture.php

Hey museumsteve, that is one hell of a shelves, don't the centre post act as a cabling trunk as well. I believe atdec have something similar and the centre bit acts as a cable trunking. http://www.atdec.com/
If you can see the picture on the front page ( left bottom corner where it says cable management) I've seen one in use at work.

Yeah..has cable management down both sides of the centre column..which is very handy :D
When I said trunking, I meant at floor level to run round to projectors, wheel, speakers etc ;)

also..found an additional use for my rear view mirror screen ;)
I found an brilliant iphone app called iHud for rFactor. So I jailbroke my iphone, found an app which allows me to force TV output and connected iphone to my rear view mirror screen and voila..rfactor has a cool working dash (which is customizable in the latest version).
I've read people on other forums asking what the point is when the dials etc are on the screen dash, but the real point is why have a big screen/3 screen setup with a nice wheel and all the trimmings and then have the default cockpit view which shows another steering wheel and an unrealistic viewpoint. I take off the hud in rfactor, remove the onscreen wheel and move the viewpoint forward (as per the piccie) and what you end up with is a pretty realistic 1:1 experience with the electronic dash in the right place from the seating point..

picture.php

yes, I agree with this, I can never see my dials in-game because of the FOV adjust in rF and iRacing.
I don't have 3 screen... yet but having the in-game wheel overlapping the steering wheel is a must - since the steer is under the screen you only see the top bit of the in-game wheel and no dash whatsoever. hence the need of iHud for iRacing and rFactor. I said the same thing (check out my SLI-PRO review in my signature that I just post)

yeah iHUDs are very good with the latest update you can customize them to 5 different screen etc.

man your set up is just insane! it is a work of art. but i do have a question for you museumsteve? i just don't understand why you have a CSR wheel. it just seems that money is comfortable and i figure why not spend the extra bucks and get a wheel well beyond the current one you have? it always amazes me that some people spend thousands to make their sim cock pits or in your case a sim room and not get the best wheel out there. such as the t500, or in your case the csr elite, since your a forza guy

(i would assume due to quality control with current crs elite wheels, but who knows)

man your set up is just insane! it is a work of art. but i do have a question for you museumsteve? i just don't understand why you have a CSR wheel. it just seems that money is comfortable and i figure why not spend the extra bucks and get a wheel well beyond the current one you have? it always amazes me that some people spend thousands to make their sim cock pits or in your case a sim room and not get the best wheel out there. such as the t500, or in your case the csr elite, since your a forza guy

(i would assume due to quality control with current crs elite wheels, but who knows)

Just 3 months ago I was using a wheelstand pro and an xbox wireless wheel in front of my movie screen and loved it. I then borrowed a CSR of a mate and started to fall in love with it..and here we are just a few months later :)

I have every intention of getting an Elite once everything else is finished. It's important for me to have a wheel that work with everything.

Changes this weekend for my rig...

PS3's have gone cos GT5 just doesn't cut it for me (no matter how much I try)

Tomorrow I have aluminium framework (Frex) arriving, hopefully a new bucket seat and some fitments (universal joint etc) for my SCN5 actuators (which I received this week). I'll be running x-sim for motion.

I'm going motion and really looking forward to it. I'm gonna stick with 2dof to start with and see how it feels.

I'm also seriously thinking of making a curved screen as 90% of my gaming is now just PC racers.

I'll update over the weekend with some WIP photos :)

museumsteve
Changes this weekend for my rig...

PS3's have gone cos GT5 just doesn't cut it for me (no matter how much I try)

Tomorrow I have aluminium framework (Frex) arriving, hopefully a new bucket seat and some fitments (universal joint etc) for my SCN5 actuators (which I received this week). I'll be running x-sim for motion.

I'm going motion and really looking forward to it. I'm gonna stick with 2dof to start with and see how it feels.

I'm also seriously thinking of making a curved screen as 90% of my gaming is now just PC racers.

I'll update over the weekend with some WIP photos :)

Those lenses for curved screen projection get really expensive.

I'm only looking at curved screen for PC stuff, 3 projectors, curved screen and blending software. For xbox I'll probably keep the current 3 screen setup.

Last night I dismantled my GT Omega Pro to make way for a new seat (OMP) and aluminium Frex framework together with SCN5 actuators (100mm)

Disaster 👎

Nothing went right, so tonight I will start stripping it out and starting again. I may even go back to using the GT Omega and frame, fixing that to an MDF base and go from there :) Shame as I only had the new seat delivered yesterday :D

It does look cool though :D

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

For info on curved screens look on the "widescreen gaming forums" although judging by people on those forums it can be difficult to get a curved display made with no issues. So many forms of materials and options.

What problems are you having with the frame or motion?

Your setup is starting to be monstrous... What are you doing lingering with the consoles? Switch to PC sims, you will not regret it...

I have some curved screen info I got from a fellow poster, I'll post it later. Good luck with that setup, remember to take it slow. Of you still want to get into dbox I can still get them, half off retail. :)

No mate..not DOA, works a treat (or will when finally in place lol)

First issue was the chap who was buying my GT Omega pulled out, after I had bought my new OMP seat (pretty bit frustrating)..

Then the framework which I bought secondhand as a part of a bundle from the chap I got the actuators from is not not enough framework for a complete cockpit so I had an dilemma. Bin it and start again, which would have been £250 down the drain (just the aluminium) or think again. It's Frex profile so I didn't just want to buy something else and mix n match..
So last night, I took it apart, built an 18mm MDF based with 44mmx44mm frame

picture.php

picture.php

and fitted the GT Omega frame to it but that didn't work either (after another 2am finish). In practice it may work but the seat is adjustable so not really gonna work as well as a rigid seat anyway..

picture.php

Anyway...to cut a boring story short...currently I'm back on the OMP (blue seat).

picture.php

picture.php

The plan now is to fix the actuators to the MDF base, probably using some kind of dampening, and the universal joint will also bolt straight to the MDF which will free up sme of the aluminium frame to finish the cockpit.
I do wish I hadn't started this and just left my rig as it was and bought a simxperience starter kit or something.

The upside will be that having a solid MDF raised base means I have all the space in the world to play with tactile units ;)

This morning I sprayed the universal joint to tidy it up...and this evening after work I'll be mounting the UJ to the base and seat and will be ready to start fine tuning dampening options. Then I'll be looking at the options for front cockpit for wheel/pedals. At the moment the front half of the GT Omega is still in place :)

I'm going to give myself a good week or so to take this at a slow pace..I just miss my race fix every night :D

Once it's all done and I'm happy, I'll strip it back and do the finishing touches like carpeting the base etc :)

You know the real frustrating thing is it was amazing with just my miniquake (bass shaker).
I'm hoping for my interfaceone soon so I can get back into Forza, cos even though I'm just about fully converted to PC racers..nothing offers the career fun of things like Forza IMO..

I'll get MrLatte involved once this bit is done so I can start adding tactile units. I have 2 Bodyshakers (german bass shakers) which along with my miniquake should be a good starting point :)

Back