Museumsteve's multiscreen project

Nice to see you reporting back...

Id recommend you consider mounting a mdf board underneath the seat frame section if your considering tactile later. Possibly could be good if approx 4-6" wider than the actual seat each side. This will also allow you to maybe mount a shifter which would move with the angle of the seat but also possible to mount a tactile unit to the side of the seat sections.

The best results I got from tactile was having L/R underneath the seat front section. A LFE underneath also but centred near the back and the wooden platform used for surround tactile at the sides of the seat. Being on separate channels they will give you much more immersion over typical mono tactile.

Add another to the pedals based on the centre channel and you have surround tactile all easily powered/controlled with a nice 5.1 AV amplifer. Of course though the LFE will need its own amplification as normal.

Well I finally got moving ;)
I keep chopping and changing seats but I've settled on the GT Omega just because it is so much more confortable and that's more important as I'll be driving a lot and not always wanting to use motion.
Here's a vid of the seat in action..very early test so nothing fancy..but doing a lap on rFactor in an F1. The video is only to highlight the motion really, it was more for me to look at it to see how the actuators are looking.

I hit few snags when putting the base in and getting stuff back in the room, the most obvious was the projectors, due to the increased in distance between where the projectors now had to sit and the screens they were too big for the screens :(...but I came up with a plan..a cool one I think, which I'll try and sort this weekend and then get more pics up.

On Tuesday evening I had a little motion and it was okay, I had no sound and no tactile but at least the seat moved. Last night I hooked the speakers up and fixed my miniquake to the rear of the base (dont know if it will stay there yet) and this is how it has to be. The quake fills in the gaps that the actuators cant replicate, it's fantastic with them working together.

Still so much to do but I'm back to being excited again ;)

Yeah this has given you a lot more to do and stuff to then re-sort.

I hope the motion is as enjoyable or as good as you hoped so will take on-board your down to earth honest opinion. The noise with that chirping is arrrggghhhh though, maybe it is less noticeable when playing?

Yeah this has given you a lot more to do and stuff to then re-sort.

I hope the motion is as enjoyable or as good as you hoped so will take on-board your down to earth honest opinion. The noise with that chirping is arrrggghhhh though, maybe it is less noticeable when playing?

I always give myself lots to do, I fix one thing and create a list of more stuff to do..the joys of a project I guess. I really don't mind as long as I get to do some racing inbetween :)

The video is just a test with a generic profile for rFactor so isn't optimzed for my setup, so once I get sorted I'll get it to calm down a bit. Also there is no dampening in place so things are a little harsh but that's one of my next jobs to do. I'll probably fit a dampening bar between the actuators and the base for starters (maybe tonight)
You dont hear anything when racing, the chirping I just a result of the way the actuator works and is probably unavoidable but it's only picked up as being video'd from behind.

I dont like to mess about with this stuff. If I really don't like it I'll get rid of it and go back to my good ol' miniquake which I still love ;)

Time to get two more projectors, two more screens, iRacing, an Eyefinity 6 video card, and start enjoying the wonders of 5 screens!

Beautiful setup, I really like the mount you made for the consoles.

Been busy last couple of evenings with this.
I took time out to do nothing but play really, mainly because I wanted to find out what I really thought of the motion. It's not as simple as turning on a game as each game needs a motion profile which should be setup from scratch as it relies on the feedback from the actuators to determine travel etc.

Anyway, is motion awesome or gruesome...well of course it's awesome 👍

but..it does have drawbacks and is very dependant on how you go about it and it's already giving me food for thought about my way forward.

I've been messing with rFactor and Dirt2 more than anything, mainly because they load quickly and I like them :D

The biggest dilemma I've hit is whether or not to have just the seat moving or include the pedals and wheel. The motion is awesome and sometimes I got so engrossed (Dirt 2 rallycross tracks) that at times I felt I was actually driving the car, it was absolutely incredible..but sometimes I shot back so quick I almost let go of the wheel which put a big downer on it..
I probably easy to say move it all, but with games like Dirt2/3 I think I'd probably end up throwing up at the end of a Landrush event :D The alternative is to tone down the motion but that may defeat the object of having it in the first place.

I'm thinking about making something up just to try it but that also means moving things as it changes the weight of the seat and moves the centre of gravity so I'd need to make adjustments to the universal joint.

There's no denying that motion is incredible, but it definately has to have tactile because it fils in the gaps nicely and does things motion cant.

This morning I picked up some steel angle profiles to make changes to my actuators, I want to able to adjust the travel easier and also for adding dampenening. So that's my job for tonight and if I get time I'll have a look at options to get everything mobile for a tester..
I've come up with a new solution for the projectors which I'll be trying next week.

This explains exactly why I feel motion is strange unless the entire platform moves as one.

Whenever I go to Tokyo, I try to go to Sega Joypolis (a video game theme park, kinda like Gameworks, but bigger). They have a full motion Initial D game, it's far from realistic, but it's the only motion sim I have ever even partially enjoyed, because it all kept moving as one, so I actually felt like I was really driving. The motion rigs that only the seat moves was very awkward, the one's where the screens stay still were odd too.

Something like this, but in combination with iRacing or any other more realistic PC sim would be the only way I would do motion, and I think it would end up being prohibitively expensive.

I've been trying to avoid looking at this thread because I tend to get ideas stuck in my head and then months later end up spending loads of money. Looks like sim racing was a bad hobby to take up! I thought once I'd built a cockpit I'd be happy, I haven't even gotten that far and now I want triple screen projection, tactile feedback and then later down the line there's proper seats (mine is from an MX-5 at the moment), actuation, LCD displays for rear view mirrors and dashboards, better wheels... Maybe I'll just cut out the middleman and go and buy a real track car, I'm sure a first gen MX-5 with a rollcage and Toyo R888 tyres would be cheaper!

But I would like to say, I absolutely love your rig overall, I'm just not a fan of motion the way you have chosen to implement it. I only shared my thoughts because you questioned if your implementation with only the seat moving was really the best way to do it.

But I would like to say, I absolutely love your rig overall, I'm just not a fan of motion the way you have chosen to implement it. I only shared my thoughts because you questioned if your implementation with only the seat moving was really the best way to do it.

That's cool mate :)
I never set out to have motion but it's just been a natural progression I guess. I'll keep looking at options and the end result will probably be moving the pedals and wheel aswell :)

Great to read the experience is one your enjoying and all within what is a decent budget.
The setup and configuring looks to be something that will improve the enjoyment and experience over a given time.

I guess though you will be able to download popular profiles for different games?
Will be really interesting to read your progress and if adding motion to the wheel/pedals if this is something you do end up preferring or if you revert back to just the seat.

Interesting thread indeed...

Last edited:
Great to read the experience is one your enjoying and all within what is a decent budget.
The setup and configuring looks to be something that will improve the enjoyment and experience over a given time.

I guess though you will be able to download popular profiles for different games?
Will be really interesting to read your progress and if adding motion to the wheel/pedals if this is something you do end up preferring or if you revert back to just the seat.

You can download profiles but the problem is they're specific to someone's setup, so with actuator angles being different, seat weight and height etc..all give varied results so only way really is to start fresh.

I will get round to looking at tactile using force sender but not ready to start spending more cash yet as my budget blitzed ages ago and it's over treble what I planned to spend when I started :(

Great work Steve. Also find it kind of funny how latte would continuously take a huge dump in my thread about motion and say I was playing with a "toy" but in this thread it's "awesome". Funny stuff.

lol..thanks mate :)

I'm new here so dont know what the beef with you guys is but I think we should have a forum kitty, all chip in and send you two to a couple's retreat :cheers:

museumsteve

I'm new here so dont know what the beef with you guys is but I think we should have a forum kitty, all chip in and send you two to a couple's retreat :cheers:

Lol.

Rigs looking fantastic!
Tho it makes me sad ;) my gameroom is starting to be cleaned then painted. Rig to be built soon. Sadly do not have triple screen or motion budget. Tactile maybe in the future, but a gaming PC will be built prior to going that route.

Cheers! Happy cruising.

Great work Steve. Also find it kind of funny how latte would continuously take a huge dump in my thread about motion and say I was playing with a "toy" but in this thread it's "awesome". Funny stuff.

First of all you haven't been provoked here and are making false claims.

I may of been over persistent in your thread of my own views in having personal reasons for not seeing motion as a longterm investment. I think the problem in your own thread is what I can describe as your displeasure in someone (me) questioning the technology used in D-Box against alternatives. I also apologised at a time in the thread.

For me, it is very interesting trying to understand how D-Box uses "Telemetry" via its actuators for tactile as well and from a technical perspective how that compares to what can be done with community solutions and common tactile products.

The reason behind all the questioning was not to try and belittle your setup or make it look inferior as such but to determine what can be done from a community build perspective against a sold solution like D-Box. I even suggested the possibilities of mixing additional buttkickers etc onto your build but you were having none of it. You were telling us D-Box was awesome and we should all just be amazed at your rig then made a stupid comparsion to a Buttkicker Gamer when that isn't even close to what I was suggesting. What is funny is how you try to ridicule my own experimentation regards tactile and the possibilities. Yet then later mention how motion needs tactile to increase the immersion. Furthermore other cockpit builders that utilise D-Box also incorporate "Buttkicker" to further enhance the immersion. So I guess their is a degree of credit to what I was suggesting.

As for calling your "D-Box" a toy that's not the way I put it, I already said from my own perspective any such "Man Room" be it something like this, a home arcade or home cinema to me are what "I" personally class as "boys toys". Your cockpit was not singled out at all.

For the record please by all means quote me where I have stated that "motion" is now amazing? Your telling people here things that I have not said at all. My position hasn't changed at all.

Try reading what I am saying, I have said from a project perspective it is very interesting thread. Steve, is much more it seems down to earth and willing to accept that not everything he buys or does may be fantastic regards his cockpit. He certainly seems more open and willing to share information about his cockpit. Also if he does try and incorporate motion to the wheel/pedals it is good to get "his opinion" based on "his" own testing having tried seat only motion Vs the main cockpit components.

That is a debate regarding various motion options. It may also be possible personal preference but for me and having a technical interest while appreciation as to what others want to do and achieve with their cockpits I find his approach and feedback as quite valuable and interesting.

To make things clear to anyone. I really look forward to reading Steve's comments on his findings if he peruses trying different motion solutions. I will gladly help him regards optimising and choosing suitable tactile if he wants come the appropriate time too.

I still however have no long-term personal interest in adding motion to my own rig but had I wanted such the money I have spent lately on other things I certainly could of bought the components.

You may be new here but I remember some of your posts and threads back on "Av Forums" regards your "cinema room".

Last edited:
...anyway, this weekend I spent some time playing with profiles and calming things down and being really torn between everything moving or just the seat and gear shift and decided for now I'm going to leave it as is.

I think, like bass shakers..motion is fun at first, you tend to have it over cranked to get the feel and excitement because it's new, but once you get used to it you want to blend it into your experience and not rule it. By having the motion fairly calm I dont think not having the wheel/pedals moving is such a big deal. I remember when I got my first miniquakes in my movie room, I had them shaking like crazy to everything..but after a week or so I wanted to gel them with my system properly so got my 50hz FMOD and it became a new experience.

So I'm gonna love having motion but I'm not going to move everything. To be honest as the Dirt games are my favourite I reckon 30 minutes on full motion and I'd be throwing up lol..

Tonight I took away the last part of the GT Omega framework and built a front frame for wheel and pedals from the frex profile I had left. I'm out tomorrow evening, but Tuesday I plan on looking at inverting the pedals and fixing the front frame down, fitting the gear shifter to the seat frame and hopefully sorting the dampening (if stuff arrives tomorrow) then prepping for Wednesday evening when I'll be taking the projector stands away as I now plan to mount them differently.

If all goes to plan I should be painting some bits this weekend, carpeting/covering the MDF base, sorting a cable solution and tidying up :)

and on top of all this, finally my interfaceone should arrive tomorrow 👍

Once you get everything tuned to each game correctly you'll be all set. I have several games tuned correctly and to be honest with the tactile and motion I can't go back. It's all about proper tuning, could never have the dbox cranked up all the Way because it was to violent, the setup you have is probably more violent lol. Once you're tuned in is when the magic happens. Have fun.

Three are for the triple screen gaming.

The fourth one I guess is a feature within Forza 4 that allows you to use a rear view mirror from another Xbox.

Steve,

Can you show more regards "ihud" and give more feedback on it's performance options please?
Just noticed that is the same app you mentioned a while back and found it on my travels too. I plan to use this or similar with the new ipad and hopefully their will be highres versions of apps to run with the new screen resolution. As a tablet it has some great potential for sim apps.

Info
[Youtube]jwSdH1OBoL8&feature=player_embedded#![/Youtube]

Also how are you finding the eyefinity, what card and connections you using?
Too early for me yet to set everything up together.

Last edited:
Steve,

Can you show more regards "ihud" and give more feedback on it's performance options please?
Just noticed that is the same app you mentioned a while back and found it on my travels too. I plan to use this or similar with the new ipad and hopefully their will be highres versions of apps to run with the new screen resolution. As a tablet it has some great potential for sim apps.

Info
[Youtube]jwSdH1OBoL8&feature=player_embedded#![/Youtube]

Also how are you finding the eyefinity, what card and connections you using?
Too early for me yet to set everything up together.

Funny you should mention this as I picked up a 32gb Ipad 2 from a mate this weekend for a bargain £200 and iHud looks awesome on it. I'm not sure if I'll use it for it myself yet as I use x-sim which has force profiler program which has it's own section for adding gauges so I may look at USB monitors, not sure yet. I use a laptop for force profiler so I can change things without exiting the game each time and I'd use that to feed the guages I guess but would need to be sure there was no lag between the devices.

There's no options in iHud aside from changing the looks/layout.

Eyefinity is perfect..it just works :)
I have a HD6970 2GB and use HDMI, DVI to HDMI and mini Displayport to HDMI.

I am getting close to finishing my project in it's current guise but can see my next change being a curved screen and Warpalizer or NTHUSIM but not sure if I want to be without XBoxes for Forza..

Okay great to hear things are going well for you.
Looking forward to getting projectors and eyefinity running myself.

Have you tried "airplay" and using your ipad2 as a PC monitor?
Uses wifi but may have small degree of lag, though potential uses.

I like the gadgets but think I too would end up using a proper rev gauge.

Not tried airplay but will definately look into it :)

I think my next job is to sort my TT a bit better.

I dont really want to buy new hardware just yet but I have a miniquake and 2 bodyshakers (like the aura bass shaker). I use an Onkyo 309 and currently feed the LFE to a Yamaha receiver to feed the miniquake.

As the Onkyo wont do multichannel out I guess I'll have to get another receiver that does so i can feed the centre and left/right to the yamaha to feed the shakers? Does that sound right?

I'll base my TT purely on audio to start with and assume it's being fed 5.1 or better.

Back