MX-5 Cup @Lime Rock lap times

United States
United States
carracerptp
I'm learning iRacing with the MX-5 Cup car at Lime Rock Park (I have had it working for about 2 hours).

My last time after 30 minutes was a 01:00.84X (T1 was a mess). I was improving each lap so I'm sure I can remove the .8 off my time.
What would be a good lap time for a beginner to be running before his/her first race? Just an average lap time for the mid-pack in a beginner race.
I'm using the stock setup and a DFGT.

Also, where can I find a list of top lap times in different car combos? It would be nice to know what the limit is.

You're off to a good start then 👍
I checked a few of my early replays and most of my better laps were all ~59.8

You're off to a good start then 👍
I checked a few of my early replays and most of my better laps were all ~59.8

We both have the same setup "DFGT | WheelStand Pro". That sounds like a good time to shoot for.
Sorry if this sounds rude but is a 59.8 fast or medium or slow? (for a beginner level)

Last edited:
59.8 is above average and can win races in the middle splits. Standard on the top splits. I've seen aliens battle it out averaging low 58's consistently lap after lap.

I hope it's fast :lol:
My current best is 59.4 with my quali being 59.6. That quali was good for top 75 out of 800.
It usually grids me in the top 4 in most races there and on the front row often enough. IIRC 59.0 is my optimum.

You and I were really close in GT5 as well so you'll be equally quick I'm sure.

59.8 is above average and can win races in the middle splits. Standard on the top splits. I've seen aliens battle it out averaging low 58's consistently lap after lap.

Low 58s race pace... can't wait to see a hot lap :scared:

I hope it's fast :lol:
My current best is 59.4 with my quali being 59.6. That quali was good for top 75 out of 800.
It usually grids me in the top 4 in most races there and on the front row often enough. IIRC 59.0 is my optimum.

You and I were really close in GT5 as well so you'll be equally quick I'm sure.

OK, thanks for the information. My goal will be .0 or sub 1 minute anything laps constantly.

Yeah anything under 1 minute is pretty reasonable. The fast guys run mid to high 58's in qualy (with a slow outlap) and can consistently run low 59's in race conditions.

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/worldrecords.jsp

You can check all world record times there. (Stats>World Records)

There used to be a bigger disparity between the cup car and the roadster, the roadster was quicker, but now they're even.

Fastest time I could see was a 58.478 in qualifying.

You can get replays of fast laps in the MX-5 sub-section on the forums. Also, Youtube if you want to see inputs (iirc replays don't show inputs. i.e. throttle, brake, lock).

Good luck Travis! You came in at the right time, new season's about to kick off. Hopefully your fps holds up with more cars on track.

I have a replay of a race that I won from pole and the average laptime was 1'00.9 with a best lap of 59.7. If you can remain consistently close to 1'01 over 20 laps you will have a very successful rookie career.

Eddie's right, watching someone else's replay won't give away their control inputs, but using the in car view to study their lines and the chase cam to see where the car shifts forward under braking can really get you faster quickly.
So if you are in a room and someone posts a wicked quali lap be sure to save the replay ;)

My absolute best lap was in race and i got a 59.1, i still dont know how i did it. I usually sit around 59.7 for race pace, basically anything around 1:00 flat is a good time as long as you're consistent.

My absolute best lap was in race and i got a 59.1, i still dont know how i did it. I usually sit around 59.7 for race pace, basically anything around 1:00 flat is a good time as long as you're consistent.

That's a great lap 👍 my optimum lap is barely quicker, and your recommended laptime to average is really more accurate than mine now that I think about it. The results average lap includes lap 1's standing start, lapping traffic, etc so 1'00 is a more realistic lap to aim for as consistency goes.

Thanks for all the information 👍
I'm figuring out how the seasons work (I'm lost really) and I will be trying to find some practice sessions soon (After I stop needing all the road to recover from clipping the grass :lol:).

Thanks for the target times, I got a 59.98X. I'm finally running 01:00.3 or better every lap and 01:00.XX very often.
My problem is my sector times are all over the map. I ran a fast T2 on the 59 with a very slow T3 and T1. It says my optimum lap is 59.2. Every lap I hit T1 right, I lose it going over the hill. Spent over an hour trying to put a good T1 with a good T2 and T3. Never happened.
At least now I can run for more than 7 laps without crashing :lol:

At least now I can run for more than 7 laps without crashing :lol:

After all the time spent racing in GT5 and elsewhere doesn't that seem like something you wouldn't have thought to be a problem in such a low powered car :lol:?
It took me quite a bit longer to adjust to iRacing than you seem to be taking, that's for sure.

After all the time spent racing in GT5 and elsewhere doesn't that seem like something you wouldn't have thought to be a problem in such a low powered car :lol:?
It took me quite a bit longer to adjust to iRacing than you seem to be taking, that's for sure.

I was a little shocked how tricky that up hill section is. I kept over cooking it :lol: And I keep trying to use GT5 style brake points in T1, they don't work here.

Use your Delta Splits, it will help you see where you're loosing time and what works.

Jav
Use your Delta Splits, it will help you see where you're loosing time and what works.

How do I display split times when I'm on track? I can only seem them when I watch the replay.

Did my first 2 online races (Liime Rock week 13 I think it said) 👍
I got hit entering turn 1 (suddenly I had GT5 flash backs :lol:) then a guy crashed and hit me... not a good start.

Race 2 was much better, I braked very, very late for turn 1 and the guy behind be couldn't match it. Felt very GT5 like, it was actually very easy to overtake. I seemed to be fast in T1 and up the hill. I was working on 3rd when I got a little hope going over the hill and had a spin. Still, felt good and I was tracking at the same pace as P1 :)

Then I got back in the MX5 cup car and ran a string of 59.9s and a best of 59.8 that kart like thing really helped me see the curvature of sector 1 and the hill.

Last edited:
How do I display split times when I'm on track? I can only seem them when I watch the replay.

Go to the "Options menu on the top right of your screen and then go to the "Other" tab bottom left, you'll see it there. I have it mapped to a button on my wheel, you can map it to any button or key you prefer.
Delta_Splits.png

http://members.iracing.com/membersite/member/worldrecords.jsp

You can check all world record times there. (Stats>World Records)

There used to be a bigger disparity between the cup car and the roadster, the roadster was quicker, but now they're even.

Fastest time I could see was a 58.478 in qualifying.

You can get replays of fast laps in the MX-5 sub-section on the forums. Also, Youtube if you want to see inputs (iirc replays don't show inputs. i.e. throttle, brake, lock).

Good luck Travis! You came in at the right time, new season's about to kick off. Hopefully your fps holds up with more cars on track.

Make sure you look at the most current season. And actually for the current season you better check the most recent Lime Rock week. Early in this build, the Roadster had a six speed. That may have made it the perfect combination of weight distribution and gearing for Lime Rock.

Something I've learned at Lime Rock in the MX5, lift before uphill. There's a tall, thin, dead tree on the left side of the track. Use that as a marker to adjust when to lift. Don't brake. Turn in a little early, a couple mph faster than you think you should. You'll scrub that off and you immediate get back to full throttle. Done right you'll stay about 90-92 mph through the uphill.

that is a fast laptime I feel good doing ~1:00.5 laptimes

Thanks to Hydro for that link!
If I read that correctly the fastest race laptime for MX5 Cup at LRP is 58.529

helmet.png

Christian Szymczak
us.png
US
Region 2California Club58.529

Also, if you're using autocluch - it's another tenth or two.
Haven't done much iracing lately, should change in a week or two. Might be running some MX5 LRP races too as a refresher.
Are promotions due today? Wanna try some higher-rated series.

Yeah it's says rookie promotions today, what actually happens?..... it says I've done everything to get promoted but I'm still rookie, will it promote me later or do I need to do something else?

Read the bottom line.

Please visit the calender for promotion dates.

So yes you get promoted today.. between 22:00 GMT and 24:00GMT, and all you have to do is wait.

Or you can fast track passed the promotion date, but then your SR need to be more than 4.0

Cool, thanks for that. Nearly had it at 4.0 aswell but last few races didn't go well to say the least :lol: and ended up down at 3.41 :(

Hehe .....sorry for going off topic carra :D, didn't want to miss out on promotion day :P, I've yet to run the mx-5 on anything other than that Okayama track. I ran the SFR in a race on lime Rock where I had my biggest crash so far :P.

Last edited:
Also, if you're using autocluch - it's another tenth or two.
Haven't done much iracing lately, should change in a week or two. Might be running some MX5 LRP races too as a refresher.
Are promotions due today? Wanna try some higher-rated series.

I'm using a DFGT so I don't a clutch (sadly).

I use the 'o' button on my DFGT for standing starts but that's it. Do you mean that if I use it to shift as well during the race / tt, etc., my laptimes may improve?

I use the 'o' button on my DFGT for standing starts but that's it. Do you mean that if I use it to shift as well during the race / tt, etc., my laptimes may improve?

Not may, they will!

Latest Posts

Back