MX-5 Cup @Lime Rock lap times

You wont see a big improvement at Lime Rock (but there is one) because its only a couple shifts per lap, but other tracks you can see a good bit of improvement.

I just spent the afternoon trying to find some racing, seem like they are running the cup car later tonight 👍
Did the week 13 road race, nasty, just nasty. I feel like I''m spinning my wheels trying to build up my safety rating. I keep getting hit in a dive bomb or some guys feels like spinning in the simplest corner on the track! I did manages a 2nd place once (that race was OK)
Also did the street stock ovals, I must say that was much cleaner :odd: Had a couple really clean/close battles.

Last edited:
I final got my times down to a 59.6
Enter my first race MX5 race, started 5th and made my way to a safe 2nd running 1:00.0Xs or better. I think the leader was running almost the same average lap but he started on the pole. Then some lap cars crashed going up the hill and I was going full power. Couldn't stop, only lost 2nd thought, 3rd was way back.
Race 2 was a mess. Taken out in turn 1. Some guys in front all had a big pile up. When I was trying to creep thought the wrecked cars someone just backed right into me.
What is the fastest way to get out of the rookie levels?

I final got my times down to a 59.6
Enter my first race MX5 race, started 5th and made my way to a safe 2nd running 1:00.0Xs or better. I think the leader was running almost the same average lap but he started on the pole. Then some lap cars crashed going up the hill and I was going full power. Couldn't stop, only lost 2nd thought, 3rd was way back.
Race 2 was a mess. Taken out in turn 1. Some guys in front all had a big pile up. When I was trying to creep thought the wrecked cars someone just backed right into me.
What is the fastest way to get out of the rookie levels?

Fastest way is to simply run races and do not race for positions and avoid wrecks. finish the race with as few incidents as possible. You can easily gain >0.2SR doing this. Consider starting the race in the pits or if on the grid pull to the side of track and let all cars by you to avoid bit T1 pileups.

You can also run TTs but I think others have stated that the TT SR multiplier is only ~0.3 (so in a TT if you run the same amount of laps as a race u will gain only ~1/3 as much SR).
good luck!

edit...also watch for yellow flags, and turn on your spotter to give yo a heads up of wrecks ahead.

Fastest way is to simply run races and do not race for positions and avoid wrecks. finish the race with as few incidents as possible. You can easily gain >0.2SR doing this. Consider starting the race in the pits or if on the grid pull to the side of track and let all cars by you to avoid bit T1 pileups.

You can also run TTs but I think others have stated that the TT SR multiplier is only ~0.3 (so in a TT if you run the same amount of laps as a race u will gain only ~1/3 as much SR).
good luck!

edit...also watch for yellow flags, and turn on your spotter to give yo a heads up of wrecks ahead.

Thanks, I will be trying this today.

OMG :eek: 58s with the Fixed set-up (as for NVidia Cup) or with a tuned one? I can do consistant 1:00.5 with the fixed, but I don't see where to gain 2 seconds [scratches head].

Friend and I are playing it now. Getting under 1 minute times. Sorry for the troll post before. College engineers these days have no maturity whatsoever.

Last edited:
Can someone mention if these times are with the Fixed setup?

My times were with the fixed setup.

Cheers :) I have some work to do! I am down in the low 1:00 consistently with a PB of 1:00.2 and optimal around 59.8.

What gear for corner 1? I'm in 3rd.
What gear for corner 2? I carry 4th.
What gear for last corner? 4th means a shift before the exit but 5th just understeers a bit too much on turn in and I lose time...

I've got the mountain sorted 90% of the time with a slight lift at the top which doesn't seem to too badly affect lap time.

Cheers :) I have some work to do! I am down in the low 1:00 consistently with a PB of 1:00.2 and optimal around 59.8.

What gear for corner 1? I'm in 3rd.
What gear for corner 2? I carry 4th.
What gear for last corner? 4th means a shift before the exit but 5th just understeers a bit too much on turn in and I lose time...

I've got the mountain sorted 90% of the time with a slight lift at the top which doesn't seem to too badly affect lap time.

I only run 4th and 5th through the whole circuit. (Cup Mazda)
Turn 1 and 2 I take in 4th. On the straight just before the uphill right hand I will sometimes go into 5th but more often than not I'm in 4th. I shift up to 5th just before the final corner and have a very small lift going into the turn. It's important if you use this gearing strategy that you don't clip the inside rumble strip on th final bend otherwise it pushes you wide causing you to lift again giving a slower top speed run down the straight.

I only run 4th and 5th through the whole circuit. (Cup Mazda)
Turn 1 and 2 I take in 4th. On the straight just before the uphill right hand I will sometimes go into 5th but more often than not I'm in 4th. I shift up to 5th just before the final corner and have a very small lift going into the turn. It's important if you use this gearing strategy that you don't clip the inside rumble strip on th final bend otherwise it pushes you wide causing you to lift again giving a slower top speed run down the straight.

The times I listed are all with the fixed setup as well Phil, (mid 59's). I run the track exactly the same as skidmarx bt I never shift up to 5th before the uphill right and sometimes hit 6th just before turn 1 if I get a perfect run through the final turn - it's rare :)
It's really tempting to downshift to 3rd in turn 1,2 and 3 but I find I'm faster if I don't. Being smooth with your steering input and tight to the line will keep the car fast enough that you won't need 3rd - it feels weird, I know, but resist the urge to downshift.

I tried to run a couple of races yesterday using a clutch button but I'm not timing it very well at all :( That's going to take practice to get used to.

It's really tempting to downshift to 3rd in turn 1,2 and 3 but I find I'm faster if I don't. Being smooth with your steering input and tight to the line will keep the car fast enough that you won't need 3rd - it feels weird, I know, but resist the urge to downshift.

Also if you downshift to 3rd gear in turn 2 the car has a tendancy to slide and of course this will slow the lap time drastically on such a fast flowing track.

Also if you downshift to 3rd gear in turn 2 the car has a tendancy to slide and of course this will slow the lap time drastically on such a fast flowing track.

The upside is you can just concentrate on finding the perfect line, rather than concern yourself with what gear to be in. The MX5 seems to have corners at every course that could be taken in one of two gears but I tend to stay with the higher one. Of course, a slower driver ahead of you in a race may cause a need for 3rd occasionally.

BTW - I did try shifting up to 5th for the final turn at lime rock and holding in the clutch to glide through better, but it didn't seem to help in the end. Staying in 5th was still the fastest for me.

I tried to run a couple of races yesterday using a clutch button but I'm not timing it very well at all :( That's going to take practice to get used to.

Im not sure if you do this, but I only use the clutch for upshifts and blip the throttle for down shifts.

I tried using 3rd a bit, I think it could be faster (for me), I just don't have the skill to keep the car level.

Im not sure if you do this, but I only use the clutch for upshifts and blip the throttle for down shifts.

Yes, it's only for upshifts. I'm thinking of adding a clutch trigger button to my pedals (DFGT)... time for a weekend wheel project :)
Is there much of a market for just pedals out there? Maybe getting a g25/27 pedal set is the better way to go...assuming I could find a set.

They come up for sale pretty regular in the harware section on iracing and on ebay. Youll also need a bodnar cable or something simaliar.

Talking about modding things, does anybody know where I might find a sequential shifter?

I'm looking around for one as I currently use the standard G27 H-Shifter that I have made into a makeshift sequential shifter using some elastic bands :)... However some have already snapped and give me a few marks on my arm where they hit me.

And before anybody asks me, 'why don't I just make one myself?' well the answer is simple... I'm not very good at making things like that...

Thanks guys for the info :) I see that I need to figure out how to carry more speed smoothly (duh!), but I find the car either slides or pushes with even a couple of mph more. I guess I need to work more at the finesse!

My times are with the Fixed setup in NVidia cup.

Thats Qual time. Race laps are high 58's into low 59's.

Here is how my lap goes:

Downshift to 4th for turn 1
halfway around downshift to 3rd and power out up towards 2. Hit 4th before turn 2.
Carry 4th to mid corner again, and then back to 3rd. Hold 3rd through the right hander and hit 4th on the exit.
Hold 4th all the way until the final corner and hit 5th down the hill before you turn in.
Hold 5th all the way to the line and hold to turn 1.

Don't need 6th gear at Lime Rock.

CommittedinMazdaCup.jpg

Last edited:
Back