My biggest project so far: GT1 intro recreated with GT5 replays

• Thread starter Alex p.
  • 60 comments
Germany
Hanover/Germany
alexpkas
Second update: posted a better side by side comparison here in the OP :)

Minor update:
I fixed the audio in the video, finally, and it's HD now.

FINALLY I was able to do it! I had this in mind since the GT3 days, so like, 10 years and finally I had the recources (time and money) to realize my vision. I always wanted this project to be my first edited movie, as I started to edit GT movies now. (More to come in the following months:sly:)

This was really a big project, so much time spent on this.

First finding the right car, track and paint for the car, then driving against similar opponents like in the original intro, same corner and then watching the replays to find out in which lap there is the best angle.
Admitted though, I'm not happy with all the scenes, I could have done at least 4 of them much better, now I even know how, maybe at a later time...

Then I bought the HDPVR for 180 euros to record the replays and tried different editing programms. The artifacts you see in the edited video are the result of the poor editing program I used, but better than nothing I guess.

Finally I had to cut all the footage (40 cuts I believe). So all in all, I certainly spent like 75-100 hours. :lol:

I chose GT1's intro as it is the best imo (especially because of the music) and GT5's replays as they have the most advanced graphics.

Anyways, I'm glad I finally did it and hope you all enjoy. 👍

This is the edited video, the one below it is the original intro, try to synchronize them and play them at the same time, so you have a comparison. 👍

This one is an already synchronized split-screen version I've done.

Also GT2 intro recreated: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=259504

Last edited:
Excellent stuff sir! 👍 It's interesting to see which tracks weren't available from the GT1 days.

This looks great! Seems like you put some time on it. But you could have add some filters to make it look better. Also, my little advice; If ever you make this kind of video next time, use the Citroen GT concept car as camera car. Use it's back view to get a low position camera. Also remove the hud. I don't have an HD DVR so I can't go crazy on my editing skills and do this type of videos. :D But keep up the good work ;)

This looks great! Seems like you put some time on it. But you could have add some filters to make it look better. Also, my little advice; If ever you make this kind of video next time, use the Citroen GT concept car as camera car. Use it's back view to get a low position camera. Also remove the hud. I don't have an HD DVR so I can't go crazy on my editing skills and do this type of videos. :D But keep up the good work ;)

???

There was no hud to be seen.

Fantastic work mate, the gt1 intro has always been my favourite, it still gives me goose bumps when I hear the sound of that nsx launch off the line

Nice job! 👍

Thx.

Fantastic work mate, the gt1 intro has always been my favourite, it still gives me goose bumps when I hear the sound of that nsx launch off the line

Thank you. Same here.

GT1 REALLY gives me a special feeling. Funny thing is, when I played it the first time, I never could really get into it, as I was a little young (11) but even back then this game had something magical about it.

Nice work Alex. I can't imagine the amount of effort you went to to get everything just right.

That was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

That song is really fit for the trailer, like it has been the case in every edition of Gran Turismo. And the GT5 graphics just show how much the series has improved.

Another great job Alex 👍👍👍.

Fantastic job Alex, thanks for the link. It almost makes me want to put GT1 in the old PS and get back to the grind; I bet that my memory card and its save file are toast. :ouch:

That's some sweet editing my friends. I can't imagine the time it took you to make this. Good luck in future projects and a really neat idea :bowdown:

Nice work Alex. I can't imagine the amount of effort you went to to get everything just right.

Well, as stated, some estimated 75-100 hours. At some points it REALLY was so tiresome! But yeah...I'm actually quite happy with it although I had many more ideas how to tackle this project. You know this sequence in GT5 when you fire it up, before entering GT mode or whatever, one of the scenes is where the X1 is being driven out of the truck. I was thinking of using this as a replacement for the GT-R out of the truck sequence from the original intro.

Well yeah, I had many many ideas but figured it would take me some good 20-30 hours of more work so I thought pretty much this:

Yeah I love (creating) memes. :lol:

That was a-m-a-z-i-n-g!!!

That song is really fit for the trailer, like it has been the case in every edition of Gran Turismo. And the GT5 graphics just show how much the series has improved.

Another great job Alex 👍👍👍.

Thx a lot mate. :)

Fantastic job Alex, thanks for the link. It almost makes me want to put GT1 in the old PS and get back to the grind; I bet that my memory card and its save file are toast. :ouch:

Glad I could animate you to do this.

You should actually try, my memory cards and games still work fine, Europe is great for finding all of this stuff. I get these legendary games like GT for like 14 dollars over here. 👍

Impressive!

And this makes me think once again how much a revolution was GT1 back then.

Thx man.

And really glad you said this, one of the things I also wanted to show is, as you already said, how advanced and revolutionary GT1 back then was already. 👍

Also keeping in mind that GT5 was supposed to be a rebirth for the GT series so to say with it's uber-perfect car models and HD graphics and online mode etc.

That's some sweet editing my friends. I can't imagine the time it took you to make this. Good luck in future projects and a really neat idea :bowdown:

Thx Appie.

It was supposed to be some kind of a secret :lol: but I guess I can still tell, my next projects are a "Hypercars in the Green Hell" tribute with epic music and various tributes to single cars, to be more specific, to 5 of them: LP-670, GT-R, McLaren F1, F40 and the Enzo. 👍

Besides, I'm planning to expand my "top 30 road cars of gt5" thread to a top 50, when the first real car DLC hits the online shelfes. 👍

Last edited:
Really nice job. Congratulations, man.

I'm sorry if people will disagree with me, but I just have to say. Four words that would make this video much much better: Moon Over the Castle. That american version song just sucks.

Good job bud! well done, that looked hard to reproduce!

Wow. Completely stunned. You sir have earned an e-cookie. I would post one except my computer is broke.
After the initial omg had worn off my first thought was "phase one complete. Phase two... From gt1 to gt5 we came. From gt5 to IRL we go!" Lol

Really nice job. Congratulations, man.

I'm sorry if people will disagree with me, but I just have to say. Four words that would make this video much much better: Moon Over the Castle. That american version song just sucks.

Well I know I disagree definatly on this. The song they used in this version simply fits perfectly. But to each his own right?

Good job bud! well done, that looked hard to reproduce!

It was. I was also thinking of doing the same with GT3, I mean reproducing GT1's intro with GT3 or actually reproduce GT1's intro with actual GT1 replays, maybe in 2012.

Wow. Completely stunned. You sir have earned an e-cookie. I would post one except my computer is broke.
After the initial omg had worn off my first thought was "phase one complete. Phase two... From gt1 to gt5 we came. From gt5 to IRL we go!" Lol

LOL. Thank you kind sir. 👍 The cookie was delicious by the way haha.

Last edited:
Back