My Concept For a Better Car-Class-System

• Thread starter G.T.Ace
  • 35 comments
Germany
Bonn
GTAce
So I really love the classification system in GT Sport, because I am sick of having everything thrown together like in past GTs or the Forza games. Unfortunately it's still incredibly flawed and I wanted to know what the GT community thinks of my ideas. My concept includes the possibility of future DLC or even games beyond GT Sport.

Gr.1 should be scrapped and replaced.
Instead of a unified prototype class, the cars need to be split up into different groups:
- P1H, for the real-life, hybrid LMP1 cars.
- P1N, if they'll ever add real-life non-hybrid LMP1 cars.
- P1X, for the VGT prototypes that are currently in Gr.1.
- P2, for the possibility to add LMP2 cars, or even the DeltaWing back.
- Gr.C, for the Group C cars.

Gr.2 should be changed to Gr.1, so when they add more GTE/GTLM cars, these could be in Gr.2 to seperate them from the GT3 machines.

Gr.X needs to be scrapped.
Unique cars, like the RedBull machines, should simply be in classes of their own,
while vintage racecars and other comparable machines should get different ones.
- X50 to 1000, like the current N classes for not otherwise classified cars, mainly the VGT machines.
- V60, V70, V80 etc. for the different vintage racing cars, classified in their respective decade.

New classes for possible additions, could include the following:
- Gr.AT, for Group A touring cars.
- Gr.AR, for Group A rally cars.
- Gr.WR, for WRC cars.
- Gr.RX, for rally cross cars.
- Gr.RR, for rally raid vehicles.
- Gr.5, for Group 5 cars.
- Gr.6, for Group 6 cars.
- NSC, for NASCAR cars.
etc.

N50 is desperately missing.

Players should be able to make multiclass races in Arcade Mode and the online lobby, while PD could make them for Sport Mode.

I know this would add a lot of different acronyms and might take some time to comprehend, but it would ensure proper classification for future titles. If we'll ever get another car collection GT game, with 500+ cars, this would add many options to have varied but also realistic racing.

What exactly is flawed about the current system? It's hard to get behind your suggestion to change things if you do not explain what you think the problem is at the moment.

What exactly is flawed about the current system? It's hard to get behind your suggestion to change things if you do not explain what you think the problem is at the moment.

The current race c format is a perfect example if why the current system is flawed. Group C cars are not competitive with LMP1s, so why have them both in the same class? The cars are too different to be mixed up. Same goes for the VGT cars.

I think with all that changes it comes even more complicated like it already is.

For the weekly C race maybe they could implement it as multiclass spliiting the hybrids/VG's and that C machines. (and to avoid mess Class C machines could ghost when a hybrid/VGT approaches - to avoid mess).

The more cars that get added, the more unbalanced the classes become. Mixing Group C cars with modern prototypes is nonsensical.
Same goes for having vintage racing cars in Gr.X. You can't even properly race them in Arcade Mode, because Gr.X automatically means everyone has the same car. If they would be included in different classes, like N500, you would race them against modern sportscars. Not only would that kill the immersion, it would also ruin the balancing again.
I think with all that changes it comes even more complicated like it already is.

For the weekly C race maybe they could implement it as multiclass spliiting the hybrids/VG's and that C machines. (and to avoid mess Class C machines could ghost when a hybrid/VGT approaches - to avoid mess).
I find the current system not complex enough. GT Sport is supposed to be a virtual, FIA sanctioned motorsport simulation, so it needs the same complexity as the real deal.

I suggest having a look at Project Cars2-car list. To see how it's broken down the vehicle classes. This game would do better with a similar system.

The issue is, with so few cars compared to GT6, it is hard to have a group with maybe two or three cars in it, even if fairly well balanced. The main want seems to be highly varied grids. That's tough to pull off with such a low total car count.

Personally, I'd like to see Group C and LMP1's turned into a multi-class Group. Separate scoring for each class.

Even PC2's Group concept works poorly, because there is no BoP on/off. All cars are raced at full power. So, other than groups that already BoP tightly IRL, most of the rest consist of a rabbit or two and a bunch of tortoises. Which leads to a bunch of one or two car grids.

It is no coincidence that the most popular Groups for open online in PC2 are GT3/E/TC. They offer a wide selection of cars, all with fairly tight BoP.

The issue is, with so few cars compared to GT6, it is hard to have a group with maybe two or three cars in it, even if fairly well balanced. The main want seems to be highly varied grids. That's tough to pull off with such a low total car count.
That's where multi class racing comes into play. GTS features enough cars for more classes already.

Personally, I'd like to see Group C and LMP1's turned into a multi-class Group. Separate scoring for each class.
That would be possible with my concept.
Even PC2's Group concept works poorly, because there is no BoP on/off. All cars are raced at full power. So, other than groups that already BoP tightly IRL, most of the rest consist of a rabbit or two and a bunch of tortoises. Which leads to a bunch of one or two car grids.
I would keep the BoP of course, PC2 is just flawed itself.

PC2 does have multi-class (up to four), and if chosen (as is likely) from BoP'd classes that already race in multi-class series, quite good racing can be had. The problem, especially on consoles, is simply grid size.

You still face the issue of adjudicating (auto-stewarding) contact between faster and slower classes. There is a protocol to allowing faster classes through without impeding them while being able to battle your own class, and protocol for passing slower cars without putting them at risk that would be damn near impossible for a game to steward when it is already tasked to the max (and, IMHO, failing pretty badly) at simply stewarding contact on single class racing.

I'd love to see multi-class in future, but with console grid sizes unlikely to explode (better console, same old internet!) to real life levels, it is still going to be tough to pull off.

Changes like the tyre model introduced some FUD so I feel like wholesale changes like this are too much for people. I dont think there will be any changes of consquence of this magnititude.

They should use the real categories of cars (GT3, GT4, LMP1 etc.) and then create new names only for their created racecars (GT3X, GT4X, GT1X etc.)
Trackday cars should have their own class as pCARS 2 does.

They should use the real categories of cars (GT3, GT4, LMP1 etc.) and then create new names only for their created racecars (GT3X, GT4X, GT1X etc.)
Trackday cars should have their own class as pCARS 2 does.
They can't because of licensing I guess. Also over half of the Gr.3 cars are fictional.

The way PD classes cars in GT League, should be the way they are classed. It's their logic. I'd love to have cars classed logically, but it doesn't seem like they'll do it.
Nostagic cars pre-1979
Kei cars
Clio Cup
Nostalgic race cars
GT2 Cup
MX-5 Cup

The way it is now, N100 is like a Track Day. It has 50hp cars up to 150hp.

This is somewhat in place if you view it through the lens of the single player campaign.

PD has a way of limiting the entries for their single player races. What's needed is for them to both apply that to the Daily races, and allow that access/control into the lobbies. A helpful shortcut would be desirable such as "hot hatch", or "cup race" (which then allows for a single make selection) etc.

I have hated "group X" from the get go. There's no reason why they pace cars can't be classed like the other cars. I have never used mine because of their classification. There is no Gr X car that cannot find it's way into another existing category.

For years, we've asked for simply a "prototype" tag and a "race car" tag to resolve the lobby disputes over the categorization of certain cars.

I echo the sentiment that the proposal in the OP is a little too complex, but there seems to be unanimous support for the ability to increase the server settings to be able to create better experiences. Frankly, I have almost completely abandoned lobby racing because of the massive and seemingly incurable imbalances created by the lack of server limitations.

Since none of you asked, here's what I would do with the current car list. Any sub-classes can be raced individually or with their parent class. With road cars there would still be the option to race under the current unbalanced N classes.

Group 1A - LMP
Group 1B - the hot wheels cars
Group 1C - Group C

Group 2A - Modern GT500
Group 2B - 00's GT500

Group 3

Group 4A - Group 4 sportscars + super sedans
Group 4B - Group 4 hot hatches

Group H1 - XJ13, Mk4, 330P4
Group H2 - Shelby Daytona, Ferrari 250, GT40
Group H3 - TZ2, DB3S

Road Cars
Kei
Hot Hatches
Japanese 90's
GT
Super Sedans
Supercars
70's Sportscars
Hypercars
Muscle Cars
SEMA abominations

And so on.

Last edited:
My vote will always be finding away to balance the different eras against each other. Even if they may not be perfectly matched on all tracks, I love the fact that a digital medium can bring wildly different machinery together.

Simply recreating real life classes might be the easy way to make things fair, but you give up the potential you unlock with pixel racing, where no rules, money or politics stand in your way.

Unpopular opinion?

GLM could replace the current Gr1

G.LM Classics would be the place for the Group C cars

Gr3 Classics would be the place for older Group 3 cars.

The main change would be that in some cases Gr3 classics would be allowed in the same races of standard Gr.3.And in other cases only Gr 3 Classics would be allowed in a race.It's good to bring a little variety to the daily races.

My suggestion would be to allow Classics in Race A and B but only modern cars in Race C.

I think every main class having a subcategory(Gr3 and Gr3 Classic) would clear some things up and at the same time not make the game too cluttered with classes.It's not a perfect solution but it solves some problems(the Mclaren F1 being in Gr.3 is....weird to me).

GLM could replace the current Gr1

G.LM Classics would be the place for the Group C cars

Gr3 Classics would be the place for older Group 3 cars.

The main change would be that in some cases Gr3 classics would be allowed in the same races of standard Gr.3.And in other cases only Gr 3 Classics would be allowed in a race.It's good to bring a little variety to the daily races.

My suggestion would be to allow Classics in Race A and B but only modern cars in Race C.

I think every main class having a subcategory(Gr3 and Gr3 Classic) would clear some things up and at the same time not make the game too cluttered with classes.It's not a perfect solution but it solves some problems(the Mclaren F1 being in Gr.3 is....weird to me).
This seems pretty confusing to me.
I say if you got ideas then go make a game. Or complain to them. We cant do anything about it.
What's a discussion board?

Feeling like this should be bumped, again.

Doesn't make sense to me to see so many cars being thrown in random classes. I feel bad because there is so much potential being wasted. Especially in Sport mode, they are missing a chance to attract more players.

Back