My custom G27 Project UPDATE #4 Sequential Shifter. Need your help

• Thread starter iNs3CuRe
  • 76 comments
UPDATE #1
Nardi Torino arrived

Hey everyone, here is my first update. My Nardi Torino arrived today

I like that wood wheel, looks awesome, this is the type of GT wheel I would put on my T500, congratulations on a stellar find.

The original wheel weights 790 grams. The Nardi weights 1050 grams. So yeah the force feedback will be a tad bit weaker but I made the ventilation better in the wheel therefore I get the 100% of FFB all the time and also I plan on maybe upgrading to G27 E by ARC. 👍

That's totally shocking to me :eek:... I had the wheel off my G25 once and thought it was rather light, I'm surprised a real wheel would only weigh 1/3 more, it must be a full aluminum construction with thin wood veneer... or no?

I like that wood wheel, looks awesome, this is the type of GT wheel I would put on my T500, congratulations on a stellar find.
Thanks 👍 ;)
That's totally shocking to me :eek:... I had the wheel off my G25 once and thought it was rather light, I'm surprised a real wheel would only weigh 1/3 more, it must be a full aluminum construction with thin wood veneer... or no?

Yeah I was happily suprised too, and yes the aluminium construction is pretty thin and the whole wheel shouldn't be a too much of a problem for the motors ;)

UPDATE #2
Getting there...

I test fitted the wheel on one screw to test how it fits and also so I can adjust the stuff around it. That means adjusting my ebrake more to the left and at the same time making more space for the sequential shifter. Here are some pictures:

Wheel test fitted.
012.jpg

Ebrake raised upwards and moved to the left.
014.jpg

Gonna have to sort this out with some tape for protection, spring rubbing slightly.
013.jpg

Random Picture
016.jpg

Centre button with horn
017.jpg

Any chance of connecting these L.E.D rev lights to a RPM Gauge? Has anyone done it before?
021.jpg

And also can i connect somehow the horn button, to one of the buttons that I wont need anymore? Im not the best at soldering, or electrics at all.
asdasdasd.jpg

Also Im looking for 2x of these buttons for my seq shifter, was looking in most of my shops today and could not find it...
022.jpg

And showing the sequential shifter position.
024.jpg

Thanks for viewing and any help would be appreciated. Thanks! :D

YESSS Nardi Woodgrain!!! I love it! It's awesome to see your unique customizations to your wheel! Can't wait to see what else you do :D

Not my preference of wheel but awesome job ONO, & as for the wiring the horn it can be done dunno how a rev gauge would work but JN wired all hes L.E.D's to 1 big shift light ask him for tips. Or contact chilicoke through youtube or GTplanet hes done every mod you can think of he'l know how to do the horn I bet easy & soldering aint too hard Ive got very shakey hands (like a recovering alcoholic) but did the soldering on my RC car with no problems.

Not my preference of wheel but awesome job ONO, & as for the wiring the horn it can be done dunno how a rev gauge would work but JN wired all hes L.E.D's to 1 big shift light ask him for tips. Or contact chilicoke through youtube or GTplanet hes done every mod you can think of he'l know how to do the horn I bet easy & soldering aint too hard Ive got very shakey hands (like a recovering alcoholic) but did the soldering on my RC car with no problems.
Thanks man, I figured the horn wouldn't be too hard with some trial and error but the rev gauge would be a next step :lol:
Not gonna lie, I have a clubsport wheel with both rims, but this makes me want to get another G27 LOL, nice work.

:lol: Thank you 👍

UPDATE #3
Trial and error.

Today I decided to make a adapter out of wood because I really wanted to try out the new wheel.
So I made one, and it doesn't hold that bad except the thing that it broke when I was putting it on... Pictures will explain ;)

Took a piece of wood from garage, drilled the holes using a template I made earlier and decided to test it out. See if the wood holds. 👍

001.jpg

002-1.jpg

I put the wheel on, and did a few laps. Wow it feels different. :D

003-1.jpg

007.jpg

Then I took the adapter off, and back to the garage. Took some time, smoothed out the adapter a bit and sprayed it matte black so it doesn't look that bad.

008.jpg

Putting the wheel on, screwing it in and see what happens. A bit breaks off...

010.jpg

Anyway I left it here... because I really wanted to get some more seat time with the wheel. That's how my cockpit looks now. Bad lightning because taking pictures just a few minutes ago :)

017-1.jpg

My POV, I really need a bigger monitor. 27" preferably I think.

018.jpg

Thanks for reading ! 👍 :)

Hey Ono is the PCD for the holes 74mm like the deep corn Nardi? I recommend Derek Speare's wheel adapter I got one many months ago and never bought a steering wheel for it, planning on getting a momo mod 78 wheel.

http://www.derekspearedesigns.com/Wheel-Adapters.html

yo, yes the PCD is 74mm. BTW does the adapter come like the one in the picture? Or do you get like a thick star shaped adapter that is totally different to the one in the picture?

yo, yes the PCD is 74mm. BTW does the adapter come like the one in the picture? Or do you get like a thick star shaped adapter that is totally different to the one in the picture?

Yea it comes like the one in the picture, also Derek is very responsive and can help you out on anything else.

UPDATE #4
Button Panel

Hey guys, I'm coming with the 4th update, this time I'm showing how I made my button panel. BTW, the next update will be about my sequential shifter, Im just waiting for the two buttons to arrive.

I ordered some buttons. 5x toggle switches
012-1.jpg

10x push buttons
011-1.jpg

I made the actual panel out of some wood that I had lying around in the garage. I drilled the holes for the buttons and gave it a quick spray with a black raincoat.
002-3.jpg

Because the wood is pretty thick, I couldn't fit the small buttons and screw them tight on the face of the panel. So i hot glued them at the back, and the front only a bit of button is showing, just about right tbh.
006-2.jpg

005-1.jpg

I also screwed in 4 screws to hold my iPod because that was the easiest way to make a ipod holder. :D

018-1.jpg

I just slide it in from the top
014-1.jpg

015-2.jpg

016-1.jpg

The finish, its quite rough but oh well... It's functional.
017-2.jpg

Sorry there are no pictures of the finished thing but my phone died. BTW, right now I'm having a headache with connecting the buttons. Connecting it to the DS3 looks pretty hard, and I was thinking of getting a Cthulhu board. But they are about 30 pounds, so that would have to wait... Anyways tell me what you guys think, thanks ;)

Coming together nicely 👍

Those toggle switches, are they 'momentary'? I ask because I'm getting ready to add some switches to my set up and if they're the usual 'off-on' type and they're 'on' they can cause havoc with the PC (it's the equivelent to keeping a key pressed). I appreciate you're using a PS3 but it may be something you're not aware of. May even not matter on PS3; just letting you know! :)

the_greeze
Coming together nicely 👍

Those toggle switches, are they 'momentary'? I ask because I'm getting ready to add some switches to my set up and if they're the usual 'off-on' type and they're 'on' they can cause havoc with the PC (it's the equivelent to keeping a key pressed). I appreciate you're using a PS3 but it may be something you're not aware of. May even not matter on PS3; just letting you know! :)

^ He's not wrong! If you do want latching toggles, though, you could probably get an Arduino (or similar) microcontroller to go between the toggles and the actual output to act as a pulse generator, meaning that when the switches are locked on they'll only generate a signal for a brief period, then when you turn a toggle off again it'll do the same again. There are also boards you can buy that do this already, there was someone else here with one... The guy who lived in Scotland who built a rig off of Wayside's design, I can't remember his name now but I think the board was a 2120 pulse generator. Oh but that's PC only, I doubt any such thing exists for PS3 so you'd have to DIY.

Coming together nicely 👍

The toogle buttons are not momentary. Once they are on, its equivalent to holding the button. I wanted that, for stuff like headlights on GT5. etc And other functions that you would have to hold the button for. ;)
^ He's not wrong! If you do want latching toggles, though, you could probably get an Arduino (or similar) microcontroller to go between the toggles and the actual output to act as a pulse generator, meaning that when the switches are locked on they'll only generate a signal for a brief period, then when you turn a toggle off again it'll do the same again. There are also boards you can buy that do this already, there was someone else here with one... The guy who lived in Scotland who built a rig off of Wayside's design, I can't remember his name now but I think the board was a 2120 pulse generator. Oh but that's PC only, I doubt any such thing exists for PS3 so you'd have to DIY.
Thanks for the information, yeah I looked at these boards but I really want the panel box to be functioning with PS3, and PC as well. PC is easy, because i just use MotionInJoy to use DS3 and then I can assign the buttons. I will probably modify one of my DS3's that I use for my e-brake, or I will eventually get the Cthulhu board which is recognized on the PS3 as a normal controller. And there's no soldering involved, because they wires are hold by screws.
"Latching". That was the term I was looking for at 7:45 this morning! :lol:
:lol: 👍

Iirc you dont hold buttons in gt5 for functions like wipers and headlights. Just a tap and they are on.

Caz
Iirc you dont hold buttons in gt5 for functions like wipers and headlights. Just a tap and they are on.
I'm a drifter on GT5, so to be honest with you, I turn on my headlights for a better "show" ? when I'm going sideways. In the daylight when you press the button, they will turn on and turn off when you let off the button. Having the headlights on a toggle switch would be handy.

Its me that Neema is talking about here. I bought the 2120 Pulse Generator second hand from a guy who was selling his Flight Sim gear. If you, or anyone else is looking for one, I will provide the link to the manufacturer. Its very cheap and I love it.

Loving your project by the way. I notice youve found the front panel of your button box to be too thick to allow you to have the push buttons mounted properly. You need to use a router and it will allow you to make the wood where you attach the buttons to, much thinner. Here is a pic of mine. I only cut it roughly at the back, not neat at all, but it doesnt matter because you cant see the back. The main thing is that it allowed me to insert the switches so that they were only a few mm away fron the front, making it easy to screw the nut on the correct side of the button box front.

switchesfixedtodashboard.jpg
routeddashboard.jpg
routeddashboardfront.jpg
angledswitchesmonitor.jpg

http://www.desktopaviator.com/

The actual unit I have is http://www.desktopaviator.com/Products/Model_2120/index.htm

They have new ones out now, that also allow you to connect push button switches.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help mate^ I think I'l get another DS3 and I will just wire all my buttons there because i want the compatibility for both PC and PS3. 👍

Guys I need your help, I want to wire up my sequential shifter because i got the buttons and Im thinking of a good way to do it. And this is what popped up in my mind. And I wanted to ask if that would work if I would just pull the wire through the wheel and solder it to the existing downshift/upshift buttons, and then solder then other end of the cable to the new buttons. Would that work? I know very little about electronics, and this seems like the easiest way.
And also, if I would go this route, would the cable get pulled while I turn the wheel?

(ignore the red arrows)
ffffffffffffffa.jpg

Nice work. The paint job is really great.
Nice detail with the M shift knob, I got a E36 M3 knob on my TH8 ;)
When I finished modding my wheel, I'll also open a thread.
Keep up the good work!

that's soooo cool!
Thanks!
Nice work. The paint job is really great.
Nice detail with the M shift knob, I got a E36 M3 knob on my TH8 ;)
When I finished modding my wheel, I'll also open a thread.
Keep up the good work!
Thanks, I'm looking forward to your thread ;)

BTW, I didn't want to wait that long for y'all to reply to my question so I just went ahead and did the mod. I did a quick check and everything works fine. How it should do, I'l upload some pictures, videos when I'l have the seq shifter mod completely finished.

Back