My Datsun Fairlady Z (Rebuilding a Japanese Classic)

United States
United States
**UPDATE** 07/20/16

4 years later and the project is still alive and well! For those curious, I will be posting engine specs as soon as I get around to it.

yKurkVs.jpg

**UPDATE** 02/17/16

The new engine is in the car and running! I am now at the tuning/break-in stages. Triple Weber DCOE Carbs are not for the faint of heart and requires a lot of time and patience. Should be fun!

PKEEKU1l.jpg

**UPDATE** 02/14/15

As I mention again later into my post, I've decided to scratch the V12 idea and stick to the I6. The motor, however, is getting a complete overhaul. Nothing will be remained untouched.

This build has been changed and altered so many damn times that I'm not even going to bother updating the details just yet. Bare with me, here! I'll post updates as the build continues, but I might not always update the front page, so go to the last page for updates.

Here are some shots of the motor that is getting rebuilt:

zDu4oWZ.jpg

5M79mrs.jpg

MZfwDCY.jpg

6nSrTsm.jpg

YHOrA26.jpg

Got the head cleaned up a bit:

VkHbanf.jpg

lFsPmOP.jpg

MISCELLANEOUS:

The car has also, since, gotten upgraded brakes! They are custom, if you couldn't tell ;)

I also got a new steering wheel! I prefer the classic wooden style with the Datsun horn pad.

fvkMs3C.jpg

VMykq6v.jpg

I also got my Z on the dyno with the motor it currently has (A stock L28.) I was not disappointed.
yerL9h7.jpg

ORIGINAL POST

This is my Fairlady Z (Video Link of short drive at bottom of page)

5JAUMhA.jpg

As of now, she is almost completely stock, except for:

- Lightweight Clutch + Flywheel Kit
- MSA Twice Pipes Exhaust

I'm currently in the progress of smoothing out the roundness of the car. I have taken off both the front and rear bumpers. This leaves some rather obvious shock filler holes which I am currently working on welding up.

wBcEt2v.jpg

My Plans for the Car:

Back when these little Z cars where on the drawing board, Datsun had a different plan set out for them. It's not a coincidence that the fuel tank is positioned and weighted in perfectly to counter the driver's weight, or that the engine bay is so large than I could creep under the car and stand right next to the engine. The rear quarter panels arching to allow flares and wider tires, the Pininfarina styling (thanks to Mr. Yoshihiko Matsuo) and the surprising racing performance of previous Datsuns (Like the Datsun 210 in Australia's grueling, 10,000-mile (16,100-km) Mobilgas Rally) are all valid proofs of one single thing: The Datsun Z was as much of a Japanese sports car as the Ferrari 250 GTO was an Italian sports car.

1zTTiFu.jpg

There was no way that Datsun was going to keep up with the European giants (Porsche, Ferrari, Jaguar etc.) so they found a market for small, agile, reliable, hatchback sports cars in the US market. After all, for the price, there wasn't much to compete, and guess what? Datsun sold a ton of these little Fairladies (Which makes it a bit of a slut, really)

So what is my plan? Well, what if Datsun set out to make a Japanese car to rival the European Kings? That is the goal I am aiming for; To bring to life the Z Car that never got a chance.

kfmuKvJ.jpg

So what does this mean? Well, for starters, I'm making it more round and bubbly, which means more curves and wider arches (Look at the 250 GTO for a reference) This also means that I can strap on some wider tires. Next, comes the fuel cell, which I will need if I want to set up a dual-exhaust system. The original plan was a V12, but after some further research and decision making, I've decided to keep the L28 (Inline-6) that the car runs on. Instead, the whole engine is being completely rebuilt from the ground up. Almost every single part of the motor is getting changed, making it a completely different beast.

29dtuhi.jpg

Here's a video of me driving it for a little bit. Sorry 'bout the choppy camera work, haha. Stick around to about 15 seconds if you, like me, enjoy mean sounding, poppy engine sounds.

292p6cm.jpg

A little drive-by and short acceleration with the Z:

Anyway, that's the overall idea of it. I'll have more info on the car later on.
Thoughts?

p5oJfN6.jpg

Last edited:
I love the car! Though, question... what V12 would you be using?

As of now, I'm planning on getting an engine built for the project. My brother is a close friend of Steve Millen and his son, and we've been talking to the guys over at Stillen about getting a V12 made for the car (Something near the 3.0L mark)

Taking the engine out of another car just wouldn't be fair :)
I'm planning on making this car a one-of-a-kind. It won't be easy (or rather, it won't be cheap) but once I have the time, and money, I'll set out to make the engine.

Custom built 3L V12? You planning on dumping a few hundred thousand down on the engine? Eek!

Why not slot in a pre-existing one that's been rebuilt? For example, since the Datto borrows a lot from the E-Type (aesthetically), why not go the whole hog and get an E-Type V12?

Custom built 3L V12? You planning on dumping a few hundred thousand down on the engine? Eek!

Why not slot in a pre-existing one that's been rebuilt? For example, since the Datto borrows a lot from the E-Type (aesthetically), why not go the whole hog and get an E-Type V12?

The reason for the custom engine is exclusivity and uniqueness. The engine won't cost me that much. As mentioned, the Millen family are good friends of ours and they're more than happy to help out. It will cost around 15-20k, as an estimate, but we'll see. I don't want to have an engine from another car. It'll be a one of a kind motor especially made to bring to life the Z dream car. My brother has a Stillen built engine for his 300ZX and that thing has exceeded speeds of 220mph (His engine is 1 out of 2 built. The other one was used for racing, whereas the one we have never got the chance)
It's currently out of commission. Turns out highway traffic and a racing motor don't go hand in hand....especially in hot, California weather, haha. But, we're working on it!

If I'm unable to get the engine built, then yes, I suppose I will have to resort to that, but for now, the Z dream car is still in play.

Nice Z. Very classic looking.

Would the new engine be built or 'built'? Would it be a custom engine block CNC'd from a billet? 15-20k sounds incredibly cheap for a full custom engine. Wouldn't all the parts have to be designed from scratch?

Good on you for wanting a unique car. 👍

20k is indeed incredibly cheap for a custom motor.

What are you planning to base it on? Would be nice to see a Nissan-based V12 cobbled together from two L-series motors or even two RBs. If you get RB20s, that's 4.0, right there. Not as small as a 3.0, but in the right range, and everything except the block, the left-side cams and the crank will be off-the-shelf.

Oh, no, it's not a motor built from scratch. My brother spoke to Steve and he said that he had a couple of bases he could work on. A very important requirement is for the engine to be a Nissan/Datsun build, so it helps having the guys over at Stillen helping out.

I'm thinking it's an older generation RB, but I wouldn't mind having an L-Series, either. I'll have to talk to them personally to find out. The engine is far from completion, let alone getting started, so for now I'm concentrating on the body of the car.

An L would be nice... but RBs are wonderfully revvy motors and would be a good base.

Yup! I don't want a lumpy V12. I'm looking for that high revving feel of having an endless amount of power as you rev to the moon. I also want that raspy and poppy sound when you ease off the throttle. The current L-Series I6 I have has a deep poppy sound to it, so I want to stay close to that. I posted a video of it in action, but it's dark and I'm wrestling the camera, haha. I'll see if I can get a better video of how the car sounds now.

Nice car, and what an awesome project, say are you going to keep current fuel system ( carby ) or a custom injection ? I have always wanted to see a Devil Z replica ( 3.1 L28 carby with twin turbo setup ) , but V12 is also a great idea, even better with a single low mount turbo running less than 1 bar. I can't imagine the sound of that puppy on full boost :D .
You got to use the L engine, it sounds great with a tuned length exhaust.

TheCrazySwede
Instead, I'm strapping in a much larger V12. As of now, I've found the parts I will need to build the engine. I just need time...and a lot of money.

You found parts you need to build the engine? But isn't it custom? So if it's not "custom" then what is it? A Nissan V12 from a UD Diesel dump truck or the early/mid 90's Group C P35 engine?

The UD Diesel dump truck motor is the only thing in your $20k budget. I sell custom billet aluminum blocks alone for $8-$15K. These blocks are based on Chevy/Ford/Mopar blocks which are quite easy to find drawings of. Surprisingly easy to hybrid too when whittled from billet.

P35 motor I'd like to see you get your hands on considering that project got scrapped in the US and then scrapped once again after it was sent back to Japan. "Stillen" or not, Nissan Motorsports has a thing about holding on to their R&D work. Not to mention such limited production pieces such as spare P35 parts.

Trying to hybridize two inline 6 motors into a V configuration is also pointless unless you're casting your own block or getting it whittled out of billet. God knows you can't just weld two together. Last time I ordered a Sonny Bryant billet BB Chevy crank it was several thousand dollars. So who's doing the free R&D on this custom crank with probably odd main/rod journal sizes and possibly super exotic firing order? You know it's custom right because your custom block will probably have some off the wall bore spacing.

If I can't build a desert or short course race truck motor using "conventional" parts available for less than $60K, I don't see this custom V12 costing $20K. You need to add quite a few more zero's before you ever come close. Unless its the dump truck diesel motor...

Motec M880 + paying an authorized dealer to fully unlock all of it's features + a custom engine/chassis harness is all WELL over $20K. BOSCH Motorsports stuff may as well put you in the poor house compared to Motec. But only the best to run the super exotic custom V12 right? Nah we'll run Solex carbs from an 85 Accord since it's mad custom and we have to keep cost down around $20K, LOL!

Not feasible, I'll be the first to say it...

You found parts you need to build the engine? But isn't it custom? So if it's not "custom" then what is it? A Nissan V12 from a UD Diesel dump truck or the early/mid 90's Group C P35 engine?

The UD Diesel dump truck motor is the only thing in your $20k budget. I sell custom billet aluminum blocks alone for $8-$15K. These blocks are based on Chevy/Ford/Mopar blocks which are quite easy to find drawings of. Surprisingly easy to hybrid too when whittled from billet.

P35 motor I'd like to see you get your hands on considering that project got scrapped in the US and then scrapped once again after it was sent back to Japan. "Stillen" or not, Nissan Motorsports has a thing about holding on to their R&D work. Not to mention such limited production pieces such as spare P35 parts.

Trying to hybridize two inline 6 motors into a V configuration is also pointless unless you're casting your own block or getting it whittled out of billet. God knows you can't just weld two together. Last time I ordered a Sonny Bryant billet BB Chevy crank it was several thousand dollars. So who's doing the free R&D on this custom crank with probably odd main/rod journal sizes and possibly super exotic firing order? You know it's custom right because your custom block will probably have some off the wall bore spacing.

If I can't build a desert or short course race truck motor using "conventional" parts available for less than $60K, I don't see this custom V12 costing $20K. You need to add quite a few more zero's before you ever come close. Unless its the dump truck diesel motor...

Motec M880 + paying an authorized dealer to fully unlock all of it's features + a custom engine/chassis harness is all WELL over $20K. BOSCH Motorsports stuff may as well put you in the poor house compared to Motec. But only the best to run the super exotic custom V12 right? Nah we'll run Solex carbs from an 85 Accord since it's mad custom and we have to keep cost down around $20K, LOL!

Not feasible, I'll be the first to say it...

I wish I had a P35 engine! Heck, I'd even take an NP35. Yes, I have found the parts I will need to build the engine. I'm talking equipment wise (not talking about wrenches and stuff, but stuff I want for the engine when it's being built). I do not have an actual block or anything. My brother spoke to Kyle (I believe it's Steve's son) and said that it would cost around $20K. They are close friends, so I'm not sure exactly what will happen, since I'm not the one talking to them. My brother has worked with them a lot in the past, and he's gotten some crazy deals, so that's why I wasn't all too surprised when I heard about the price. I'll find out soon, though. It sounds like they already have something cooked up and just want to slap it together. I'd rather have something built than, say, formed. I mostly care about two things; That it's a Nissan motor and that it's unique. I can't give away many details yet, 'cause I don't have them, haha.

Last edited:
Beautiful car. I was thinking, why not leaving it stock but when I saw the photos of the black Datsun I changed my mind.

Is this by any chance your car: https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=264911

Haha, yup! That's the day we took the bumpers off. I had to drop the gas tank later to remove the shocks, one of which was located where I couldn't get to it without dropping the fuel tank. I had to get the exhaust out of the way, so my friend suggested we do a run with it without the mufflers. I prefer it with the mufflers on, though. I like a tuned exhaust note over a loud and disoriented engine sound.

Haha, yup! That's the day we took the bumpers off. I had to drop the gas tank later to remove the shocks, one of which was located where I couldn't get to it without dropping the fuel tank. I had to get the exhaust out of the way, so my friend suggested we do a run with it without the mufflers. I prefer it with the mufflers on, though. I like a tuned exhaust note over a loud and disoriented engine sound.
Thought so, wasn't sure though.

Why not get a second 280Z and leave this one stock? It's such a beatiful car.

Thought so, wasn't sure though.

Why not get a second 280Z and leave this one stock? It's such a beatiful car.

Thank you, it is a good looking car. My dream car, though, is to build the car Datsun never did. Don't worry, making it ugly isn't part of my agenda. I'm not going for an aggressive look (Like the black Z) I'm aiming more for like an old Ferrari or Maserati look. I have some drawings made of designs. I'll scan them when I can.

Thank you, it is a good looking car. My dream car, though, is to build the car Datsun never did. Don't worry, making it ugly isn't part of my agenda. I'm not going for an aggressive look (Like the black Z) I'm aiming more for like an old Ferrari or Maserati look. I have some drawings made of designs. I'll scan them when I can.
👍

Put LvlPZAnbOUk (youtube code) between the youtube tags and you'll get this:

Sounds a lot better with the muffler.

Yup, sticking to the L. The original build will be running on overbored SU's using Rebello's own special needles. The next step includes 45DCOE Triple Weber Carbs.

It's kind of ironic, the idea with the 12 was to be original - yet a properly built carby L28 is perhaps far more original since L types are treated as garbage to learn how to work on engines with.

Very proud of you! Such admirable goals :) I'd ditch my R for a Z in a heart beat~

It's kind of ironic, the idea with the 12 was to be original - yet a properly built carby L28 is perhaps far more original since L types are treated as garbage to learn how to work on engines with.

Very proud of you! Such admirable goals :) I'd ditch my R for a Z in a heart beat~

That's the exact thought I was having. I haven't stopped printing up ideas for a motor since I started this thread.

I have blue printed anything from German V12's, American V8's all the way to RB series builds. I've spoken to engine builders throughout the country, and even some Japanese ones. What got me to stick with the L-Series motor was the lack of hope and respect people have for these motors. Nobody seemed to believe that these engines could squeeze anything past 200HP without forced induction. After some researching with well respected L-Series builders (Such as Dave Rebello and Eiji Hosomi) I found that these engines are more than capable in producing powerful engines.

The complete build with the 45DCOE Weber Carbs make well over 300HP/300ft-lbs! If that's not supercar territory for these era cars, then I don't see what is. As I mentioned in my original post, I want this car to represent a "what if" fantasy, where Nissan competed against the European giants of the '60s. I think this project will come along well!

Back