My Datsun Fairlady Z (Rebuilding a Japanese Classic)

Got some more toys to play with - time to get down to tuning!
Apart from dialing in new jets, I also have to adjust the accelerator pumps and play with the idle mixture a bit

UteyEAK.jpg

It really is a marathon, not a sprint, when it comes to tuning these carburetors. You have to be patient and take your time. Every little alteration must be accommodated for and getting the engine precisely where it wants to be demands perseverance.
I'd almost be having fun, if only these things weren't so darn expensive!

SWVEWm1.jpg

Here's how the engine sounds like from the other side, with the help of my Italian exhaust

Last edited:
Awesome work, definitely a lot more time consuming than changing a few values on a laptop for an EFI system but probably so much more rewarding too. And a well tuned carb setup just sounds so damn good.

Looking really good dude, love this thread.

Awesome work, definitely a lot more time consuming than changing a few values on a laptop for an EFI system but probably so much more rewarding too. And a well tuned carb setup just sounds so damn good.

Looking really good dude, love this thread.

Not to mention, much more expensive, too! :D
But yes, the sound is incredibly intoxicating, but so is the high octane fuel :)

Thank you for your support! Glad I could share this build with my fellow petrol heads!
I'll be mounting GoPros up in a bit so you guys can get a 'ride along' to see how she does.

The straight 6 has to be one of the best sounding engines. And with carbs, it has that unique old sound to it. Thanks for sharing!

I agree! The wolves of the engine world - they purr when gentle and howl when aggravated! Thanks brother! I updated the post with a video of the carbs, too.

Back