My Encounter with Ralph Lauren and his Bugatti Veyron - July 16, 2007

• Thread starter 1X83Z
  • 125 comments
:lol: No worries - this morning I checked my phone at 11:20 to three texts and a voicemail saying things such as 'OH MY GOD YOU'RE ON AUTOBLOG.'

Can't really believe it at this point - it was already hard to grasp and now it's even crazier with my Veyron spot on the front page of Autoblog.

I was just browsing Autoblog and thought the exact same thing. Unbelievable...

@ M5Power: that was a great experience to share. That thing looks sweet online, I bet it looks way bad in person. Nice job. 👍

For the record, Ralph couldn't have been nicer to me. He seemed to be showing his passenger - someone I didn't recognize - the Veyron, as if the passenger was looking to purchase one. Ralph was incredibly good to talk to me about the car and be so cool about it, considering he was simply out on a drive and really didn't need to deal with people asking about it.

Bah. That's nothing. Why, once I caught up with Gordon Murray and, uh...we, uh.... Oh, hell. I got nothing.

Nice catch, mondo effort, and sincere congratulations.

And uber-👍.

Man. I think that those of us on GTP need to start a GTP clothing line, make hundreds of millions, and tour the country in Veyrons. Doug, you get the balls to the wall story of the month.

Doug, some of the photos are mirrored on my site. I did a quick site bandwith test and report to make sure it wouldn't go crazy, and it shouldn't. But this way, you have a reliable place to put them for a while, or at least until the hype dies down in a few months.

Anyhow, I'm sending you a PM with the links to the pics.

Edit: Check your PM box, Doug...they're mirrored now!

Great job Doug. Looks like some of the commenters think you "took it too far" by stalking Ralph. But you were just stalking the car.

I need to vacation in Denver...

EDIT: I hear you sent in your Benz spy pics, too. They aren't up on Autoblog. They might be getting more info or maybe they just won't post them if they can't get that info. Good luck with that.

Doug, some of the photos are mirrored on my site. I did a quick site bandwith test and report to make sure it wouldn't go crazy, and it shouldn't. But this way, you have a reliable place to put them for a while, or at least until the hype dies down in a few months.

Anyhow, I'm sending you a PM with the links to the pics.

Edit: Check your PM box, Doug...they're mirrored now!

Thanks - you have a PM.

Keef
Great job Doug. Looks like some of the commenters think you "took it too far" by stalking Ralph. But you were just stalking the car.

Two of the people who wrote said comments know me personally. I've been Googling the story and the response is overwhelmingly postive except on Ferrari chat, where I've actually been registered for nearly eight months. Once the posters realized that the response has been positive. :lol:

I need to vacation in Denver...

veyron.jpg

Denver is in the upper right; the Veyron spot is highlighted by the red dot. About six and a half hours lay between them. However not to fear - we do have a Veyron locally in the Denver area (supposedly chassis number one) courtesy of the grandson of the founder of Yellow Pages. Unfortunately, he drives it about as often as Ralph Lauren drives the McLaren F1 when it's on museum display.

I wonder if this thread will ever die.

Or if, rather, it will live in infamy.

Like the Bugatti Veyron, the greatest masterpiece in automotive history.

My profile picture is better than the Acura TSX. Have a look.

Hey that's a pretty fancy car! BET IT'S REAL FAST TOO!!! :D

Naw, its needs NAWZ TO BE FASTEST!!!

I just noticed this thread, crazy stuff there Doug. Awesome find indeed, and I almost like how it looks in black... insane.

Considering its 4 months old, its very odd and random. I bet some other forum stumbled across it on digg, and thus they directed there and then pulled it back from the dead.

Either way, weird.

Apparently this thread has been put on digg and all of these guys are coming over here to get a bit on all of the action that goes on in this thread. Maybe some of them will see that this only scratches the surface and that the Planet of GT is a totally awesome place.

For anyone who is interested, I can provide something of an epilogue to the story at this point.

Right when I got back to college, a fellow student came up to me, who I only vaguely knew, and I asked him how his summer was. He told me it was fine, and then told me, "I saw online that you met Ralph Lauren and saw that car." That was weird.

It's been over four months since the Veyron spot. Naturally, I've heard a lot about it. It has been discussed at forums on which I participate without the members' knowledge that I am a participant. Typically, I get positive responses, but the responses in general break down into three different groups:

1. Negative responses from people who criticise my driving.
2. Negative responses from people who just don't get it. Mostly, this involves non-car people.
3. Positive responses.

To the first point, I've driven 80,000 miles since becoming a legal driver including 15,000 in the last five months. I have yet to be involved in an accident (how many people escaped their teens accident-free?), and I've received just one ticket, for speeding, more than two and a half years ago. To the second point, I've always been dismissive. It doesn't surprise me that non-car people can't understand the enthusiasm someone would have for such a sighting. Unsurprisingly, the third group of reactions far outweighs the first two amongst my friends and people in general on car forums, since car people tend to simply understand. In general, people have been supportive and positive about my sighting. This is reflected in post one, where I have received thirteen +reps (thanks, GTP!).

Regarding the original story, the girlfriend and I have since broken up. On September 29, I saw a Maserati MC12 on the streets here in Atlanta, which is arguably a better sighting. This thread has come and gone. The Veyron photo is just to the left of the very central photo on a wall of car pictures I have in my dorm room (the central photo being the yellow Porsche Carrera GT). I still think about the sighting every day. I'm still on the lookout for dozens of high-dollar supercars that I've never seen before (Enzo, McLaren F1, F50, XJ220, etc.) but I crossed off number one the day I saw the Veyron.

I'll close with the most eerie thing about this sighting, which I only realized a month or two ago:

My lucky number is and has always been 222. My birthday is May 22, which is 222 days prior to the end of the year, my first car had 222 horsepower, in sports I always wore jersey number 22, etc. For as long as I can remember, I've always considered 222 to be my lucky number.

Anyway, I took my first car photo on May 14, 2005 (a green Bentley Arnage). As everyone knows, I've taken hundreds since then, and I've seen many extremely uncommon and crazily rare cars, like the Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona Spider, four Porsche Carrera GTs, and the Maserati MC12. But for me, the Holy Grail has always been the Bugatti Veyron. So is it any surprise, then, that I saw the Veyron on July 16, 2007 - exactly 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days after that original sighting?

Oh, and the weirdest part? After seeing the Veyron my girlfriend and I went back to our hotel room at the Best Western in Ouray, Colorado. Room number? 222.

What a great story and awesome pics! Thanks for sharing! +rep

(I really don't know how I missed this thread......)

I'll close with the most eerie thing about this sighting, which I only realized a month or two ago:

My lucky number is and has always been 222. My birthday is May 22, which is 222 days prior to the end of the year, my first car had 222 horsepower, in sports I always wore jersey number 22, etc. For as long as I can remember, I've always considered 222 to be my lucky number.

Anyway, I took my first car photo on May 14, 2005 (a green Bentley Arnage). As everyone knows, I've taken hundreds since then, and I've seen many extremely uncommon and crazily rare cars, like the Ferrari F40, Ferrari Daytona Spider, four Porsche Carrera GTs, and the Maserati MC12. But for me, the Holy Grail has always been the Bugatti Veyron. So is it any surprise, then, that I saw the Veyron on July 16, 2007 - exactly 2 years, 2 months, and 2 days after that original sighting?

Oh, and the weirdest part? After seeing the Veyron my girlfriend and I went back to our hotel room at the Best Western in Ouray, Colorado. Room number? 222.

Trivial coincidence; my room number here at USC is 222. :dunce:

I love how people bad mouth you for seeing the car, I guess they are just jealous they didn't see it themselves or have a chance to meet Mr. Lauren. Meh, whatever, you still have one of the most incredible car spotting careers out of all the forums I see that do this.

M5P
I don't get it - this was on Digg months ago. Why is it just gaining popularity now?

From the digg post: Submitted: 1 day 3 hr ago

The reason it wasn't on the front page last time it was on digg is because it most likely wasn't submitted by sepultura. Pretty much anything and everything he (and a select few other people) submit goes straight to the front page. I've been on digg for a while and this happens all the time.

Latest Posts

Back