• Thread starter PeterJB
  • 62 comments

PeterJB

Compulsive Handwasher
Premium
United Kingdom
Corsham
lipming
I am doing a full season on hard difficulty level, no penalties, all sunny, Full length races, don't put the Throttle down until the lights go out, and I can only do each GP once. After I've done each GP I'll write about it here and my Standing in the Championship. When the Season is over I'll upload a Wikipedia-style results sheet done on Microsoft Excel.

I'm driving as Nick Heidfeld.

BAHRAIN

I was competitive in Qualifying, made it to Q3, went for a two-stopper, and then got pole by 0.1 seconds. :D

My start was fine, I lead Fisichella and Alonso for the first six laps until I caught the sand at turn 12. I was three seconds behind them until I span again and that went to seven seconds. They pitted early so I assumed they were both on three-stoppers. I lead more or less the whole race after their pit stops. Fisichella caught oil and turn 13 and retired on lap 40. Albers did the same on the last lap right in front of me. I won by 25 seconds, lapping everyone up to 6th place. Fastest lap of 1:34.342.

STANDINGS

1. Heidfeld (me) - 10 points
2. Alonso - 8 points
3. Barrichello - 6 points
4. Montoya - 5 points
5. Raikkonen - 4 points

1. BMW Sauber - 10 points
2. McLaren - 9 points
3. Renault - 8 points
4. Honda - 6 points
5. Ferrari - 3 points

MALAYSIA

Again I did well in Qualifying. Several of the front runners spent the whole of Q1 letting each other pass, and so M Schumacher and Montoya were at the back. I Qualified third behind Button and Trulli. I went for a two-stopper again.

My start was fine again, I passed Button at turn 4 on Lap 1, and Trulli at turn 1 on Lap 2. They were behind me for a while, Trulli had problems and dropped so 7th. I missed my first pit stop by one lap so when I went in I ended up being fueled to the end. I won by 45 seconds from Massa and Button. Fastst lap of 1:33.687. My Thumbs were so stiff after doing both these races in one day!

STANDINGS

1. Heidfeld (me) - 20 points
2. Barrichello - 9 points
3. Alonso - 8 points
4. Massa - 8 points
5. M Schumacher - 7 points

1. BMW Sauber - 20 points
2. Ferrari - 15 points
3. Honda - 15 points
4. Renault - 13 points
5. McLaren - 10 points

AUSTRALIA

I don't like this circuit so I wasn't expecting much from me. I had a collision with Montoya in Q1 when trying to pass him. I made it through Q1, and qualified 11th in Q2 alongside my team mate.

Not one of my better races. My start was OK. I went wide at turn 3 and lost three positions, which I gained back in less than a sector. I spent the first 20 laps defending against people running lighter than me, mainly Button and Rosberg. On lap 21 I hit the wall at turn 9 and got a puncture. I lost four positions on the way back to the pits and this messed my strategy up again. I was fairly lonely after that, lapping the occasional Super Aguri, being lapped by the occasional Renault, until lap 43 when Fisichella tried to pass me at turn 5. I didn't see him their and we went straight into the wall. He got away, but I didn't. Alonso won from pole.

STANDINGS

1. Heidfeld (me) - 20 points
2. Alonso - 18 points
3. M Schumacher - 15 points
4. Massa - 14 points
5. Montoya - 10 points

1. Ferrari - 26 points
2. Renault - 23 points
3. BMW Sauber - 20 points
4. McLaren - 19 points
5. Honda - 18 points

SAN MARINO

Qualifying was fine. I ran out of fuel at the end of Q1 and hit Monteiro as he drove past. I got to Q3, Qualifying 7th. Massa got Pole.

My start was OK. I gained three places and then lost them. I knew I was in exactly the right position because the ones in front were pulling away and the ones behind were falling back. Massa was off like a rocket a got a 40 second lead from me after 10 laps. I peaked at 2nd and jumped to 4th after all the pit stops were done, until my engine blew up on lap 49. After that chaos seemed to go on because several other people retired aswell.

STANDINGS

1. Massa - 24 points
2. Heidfeld (me) - 20 points
3. Alonso - 18 points
4. Raikkonen - 17 points
5. M Schumacher - 16 points

1. Ferrari - 40 points
2. McLaren - 27 points
3. Renault - 26 points
4. Honda - 23 points
5. BMW Sauber - 20 points

EUROPE

Qualifying went well again, I was frontrunning until Q3 because I ran heavy, Qualifying 9th. Montoya got Pole.

My start was brilliant. I gained three positions at turn one and also had a spin, but didn't lose any places. I was defending against Massa and Barrichello until Massa crashed on lap 2 and Barrichello made his first of three stops. After my first stop I was fighting for fourth with Montoya, at one point Webber left the pit lane right in front of me and I knocked one of his wheels off. I pulled away from Montoya and finished fourth. Fisichella won ahead of Schumacher and Alonso.

STANDINGS

1. Heidfeld (me) - 25 points
2. Alonso - 24 points
3. Massa - 24 points
4. M Schumacher - 24 points
5. Fisichella - 18 points

1. Ferrari - 48 points
2. Renault - 42 points
3. McLaren - 32 points
4. BMW Sauber - 25 points
5. Honda - 25 points

SPAIN

I really hate this circuit, mainly because I suck at it! Qualifying went better than expected. I'm used to being on the back row, but I got myself up to 13th. M Schumacher got Pole. I did a two-stopper.

My start was alright. I gained one position on the straight. Massa went wide and so did several others, so I gained five places up to 6th. After that I had a very large midfield train behind me, and every so often one would get past. Eventually I span and dropped to 14th with Coulthard and Webber behind me. On lap 17 Coulthard tried to pass on the straight and drove into me, spinning me into the wall. Predictably, because I retired, several other people did too. What is with that? Why do they have to wait for me to retire first? M Schumacher won.

STANDINGS

1. M Schumacher - 34 points
2. Alonso - 30 points
3. Fisichella - 26 points
4. Heidfeld (me) - 25 points
5. Massa - 24 points

1. Ferrari - 58 points
2. Renault - 56 points
3. McLaren - 35 points
4. Honda - 34 points
5. BMW Sauber - 25 points

MONACO

Qualifying was terrible. I got 15th in Q1, and never set a time in Q2 due to many crashes and punctures. Montoya got Pole.

My start was OK. I went up the inside at turn 1 and hit my team-mate. I lost my front wing and he retired. In the Tunnel I hit the wall and lost my rear wheel. My fourth retirement. Oh great.

STANDINGS

1. M Schumacher - 36 points
2. Fisichella - 34 points
3. Alonso - 31 points
4. Massa - 30 points
5. Montoya - 27 points
6. Heidfeld (me) - 25 points

1. Ferrari - 66 points
2. Renault - 65 points
3. McLaren - 49 ppoints
4. Honda - 39 points

BRITAIN

I had several crashes in Qualifying, but I made it to Q3, Qualifying 10th.

My start was OK. I lost a place to Button which I got back and gained another from Rosberg. The car randomly span on lap 7 and I lost 2 places and 8 seconds. On lap 30 Monteiro and Trulli collided. Monteiro retired and Trulli got a puncture. I passed Trulli, but on the next lap I didn't see him and drove straight into him. He lost a wheel, and I lost a front wing. After my pit stop I was in 15th. At turn 1 on lap 32 I turned in too hard, hit the wall, and lost a wheel. M Schumacher won.

STANDINGS

1. M Schumacher - 46 points
2. Fisichella - 39 points
3. Alonso - 39 points
4. Massa - 36 points
5. Montoya - 31 points
6. Heidfeld ( me) - 25 points

1. Ferrari - 82 points
2. Renault - 78 points
3. McLaren - 54 points
4. Honda - 46 points

CANADA

Practice did not go well, I skipped Race Car Evolution by accident so I didn't get a setup done for the car.

In Qualifying I did well considering I'd not got a proper setup. Raikkonen, Trulli and Fisichella all spent ages overtaking one another and Qualified at the back. I was front running the whole time and made it to Q3, Qualifying 7th on a two-stopper. M Schumacher got Pole.

I had an awesome start and got up to 2nd at turn 2. For the first stint I had Massa on my tail and M Schumacher miles ahead. I knew the guys behind me were faster, but I'm a fighter and never let them past. After my first stop M Schumacher mysteriously retired, and I took the lead! :D Massa did a three-stopper so he fell back and I had Alonso on my tail instead. He was a lot harder to defend against, and after my second pit stop I came out side by side with him, but I took the lead. He was on a three-stopper which I didn't realize so I took a huge lead after his third pit stop. Then, disaster struck on lap 64! I lapped Sato and Coulthard as Coulthard was lapping Sato too, and I hit him! Coulthard was out, and I carried on with no front wing. The crew were pestering me to pit in but I saw no point with only 5 laps left. I couldn't steer well, but I was bloody fast down the straights! I won 15 seconds adrift of Alonso and Barrichello! :D

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 47 points
2. M Schumacher - 46 points
3. Fisichella - 42 points
4. Massa - 41 points
5. Heidfeld (me) - 35 points

1. Renault - 89 points
2. Ferrari - 87 points
3. McLaren - 62 points
4. Honda - 48 points
5. BMW Sauber - 35 points

UNITED STATES

Qualifying went better than expected. I made it to Q3 and ended up 10th on a two-stopper. Button was 22nd (repeatedly letting others pass) and Alonso got Pole.

My start was good. I hit Fisichella at turn 1 and went over him, putting him out of the race. I'd jumped to fourth and had Barrichello and Raikkonen behind me. Raikkonen fell back but Barrichelo stuck by me. The back of the car kept going out at the last turn and several times I nearly hit the wall. Barrichello passed me eventually and started pulling. He was on a three-stopper so I got past him after his third stop and finished fourth, 50 seconds behind Alonso.

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 57 points
2. M Schumacher - 52 points
3. Massa - 49 points
4. Fisichella - 42 points
5. Heidfeld (me) - 40 points

1. Ferrari - 101 points
2. Renault - 99 points
3. McLaren - 65 points
4. Honda - 53 points
5. BMW Sauber - 40 points

FRANCE

I am genuinely unstoppable at this track, so I was feeling quite confident about Pole Position, and I got it. 1:14.4, 0.3 seconds faster than Alonso. :D

My start was alright. Massa passed Alonso on the first lap and M Schumacher dropped 5 places. I was about level speed with Massa for the first 15 laps, then I started pulling away. I lapped EVERY driver and set the fastest lap of 1.13.983, on the last lap! It was also the first race with no retirements.

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 63 points
2. Massa - 57 points
3. M Schumacher - 55 points
4. Heidfeld (me) - 50 points
5. Fisichella - 47 points

1. Ferrari - 112 points
2. Renault - 110 points
3. McLaren - 69 points
4. Honda - 56 points
5. BMW Sauber - 50 points

GERMANY

Qualifying was OK. I got through Q1 quite comfortably. I was 11th in Q2 when I went out for one more lap and ended up spinning at turn 8. I qualified 12th. Alonso got Pole.

My start was good. I passed Rosberg at turn 2, and Villeneuve at turn 6 on lap 2. I passed Barrichello aswell, but I went wide at he took back the position. I took advantage of my 2-stop strategy and got passed both Toyota's into 7th. However, I span at turn 8 nine laps before the end and nearly lost my position to them, ands then I span again 2 laps later at turn 7 and lost my place to Trulli. I spent the last 7 laps driving like crazy to catch him, but he finished 2 seconds ahead. M Schumacher won ahead of Alonso and Montoya.

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 71 Points
2. M Schumacher - 65 points
3. Massa - 60 points
4. Heidfeld (me) - 51 Points
5. Fisichella - 47 points

1. Ferrari - 125 Points
2. Renault - 118 Points
3. McLaren - 75 Points
4. Honda - 65 Points
5. BMW Sauber - 51 Points

HUNGARY

It couldn't have asked for much more from the car in Qualifying. 4th in Q1, 2nd in Q2, and 1st in Q3, by 0.05 seconds! 1:17.301

I had a relatively poor start and Alonso was right behind me going into turn 1. He tried to pass and hit me and I span. Coulthard had started fourth and him and and Montoya got past me. Alonso dropped to 7th. On lap 3 I got past Coulthard, and I was 7 seconds behind Montoya. I blew it on lap 10 by spinning and his advantage went up to 13 seconds. On lap 22 I span again, I was leading by this point and Coulthard had been holding off Montoya. I got my original advantage back. Montoya passed Coulthard, and The Ferrari's and Alonso moved back up the field. I stayed ahead for the rest of the race and won by 10 seconds from Montoya.

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 77 Points
2. M Schumacher - 68 points
3. Massa - 65 points
4. Heidfeld (me) - 61 Points
5. Montoya - 53 points

1. Ferrari - 133 points
2. Renault - 126 points
3. McLaren - 83 Points
4. Honda - 65 Points
5. BMW Sauber - 61 Points

TURKEY

Qualifying went as normal. 9th in Q1, joint 2nd in Q2, and a disappointing 9th in Q3 on a two-stopper. Alonso got Pole.

My start was brilliant, I was in 5th by turn 1, 4th by turn 2. I'd managed to hold off Fisichella and prevent him pulling away with Alonso, M Schumacher and Massa. They pitted in surprisingly early, within the first 10 laps. Fisichella had passed me by this point so he took the lead. I pitted first on lap 20. I had calculated by this point that because the Renault's and Ferrari's were on three-stoppers, then I'd take the lead after their final stops. I did, and I had M Schumacher behind me for the last 20 laps. He closed down on me from 4.8 seconds to 1.3 seconds, and then I won! I wasn't expecting that when I started the race!

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 81 Points
2. M Schumacher - 76 Points
3. Heidfeld (me) - 71 Points
4. Massa - 71 Points
5. Montoya - 55 Points

1. Ferrari - 147 Points
2. Renault - 135 Points
3. McLaren - 88 Points
4. BMW Sauber - 71 Points
5. Honda - 67 Points

ITALY

Alonso and Raikkonen Qualified last, which was a relief, I got 9th in Q1, 8th in Q2, and 10th in Q3. Massa got Pole.

My start was great, I was in 6th by turn 1. I chased down Barrichello and Montoya over the first few laps and passed them both on lap 5. Again the leaders were on three-stoppers which I took advantage of and I got the lead after Michael Schumacher's third stop. Alonso had moved up the field by this time and clashed with Massa on lap 43, putting them both out. A huge relief for me! I then went on to win the race 5 seconds ahead of M Schumacher and Fisichella.

STANDINGS

1. M Schumacher - 84 Points
2. Heidfeld (me) - 81 Points
3. Alonso - 81 Points
4. Massa - 71 Points
5. Fisichella - 60 Points

1. Ferrari - 155 Points
2. Renault - 141 Points
3. McLaren - 95 Points
4. BMW Sauber - 81 Points
5. Honda - 73 Points

CHINA

Qualifying was good. 2nd in Q1. 1st in Q2. 1st for most of Q3, until Fisichella beat me for Pole at the last second. :grumpy:

My start was relatively poor. Fisichella pulled away, but I still caught him on the main straight on lap 1. Alonso got passed soon after and I had to defend against him for the first ten laps or so until he pitted in for his first of three stops. I stayed about 5 seconds ahead of Fisichella until he pitted in to. I got held up by other drivers whilst entering my pit box and leaving it, but it didn't cost me too much.

When I came to lap R Schumacher on lap 36 I hit him by accident. His rear wing came off and my nosecone turned yellow. Oops!

I carried on in the lead and finished 40 seconds ahead of Alonso and lapped all but the first five cars. I set the fastest lap on the last lap of 1:33.453.

STANDINGS

1. Heidfeld (me) - 91 Points
2. M Schumacher - 89 Points
3. Alonso - 89 Points
4. Massa - 75 Points
5. Fisichella - 66 Points

1. Ferrari - 164 Points
2. Renault - 155 Points
3. McLaren - 98 Points
4. BMW Sauber - 91 Points
5. Honda - 76 Points

JAPAN

Like with Spain, I can drive fine round this track, but I'm just not fast enough. I was 14th in Q1. Q2 Was terrible, I only got one lap in, and it had been wrecked from the start. As I started it Alonso left the pit lane and cut me off, and I went into the sand. On my second lap Montoya came up behind and span me. And on my third lap I ran over oil and went into the wall. After that I ran out of time and Qualified 16th, which is just perfect this close to the end of season and considering I'm leading by only 2 points and my title contenders are at the front of the grid. I'll be doing a one-stopper and see how everything goes from there.

My start was good. I jumped to 11th at turn 2. Raikkonen went off the track in front of me on lap 1, so I gained another position. After that people in front were pulling away, and people behind were crowding up, Barrichello was the only one to get past. I went up to 8th after everyone did their first stops, then I dropped to 12th after mine. I passed Rosberg, then Villeneuve, then Webber in the Pits, then Barrichello in the Pits, then Trulli in the Pits, and then Klien in the Pits until I was in 6th, 25 seconds behind Massa. It stayed that way for the last 15 laps and I finished 6th. Alonso won.

STANDINGS

1. Alonso - 99 Points
2. M Schumacher - 97 Points
3. Heidfeld (me) - 94 Points
4. Massa - 79 Points
5. Fisichella - 72 Points

1. Ferrari - 176 Points
2. Renault - 171 Points
3. McLaren - 103 Points
4. BMW Sauber - 94 Points
5. Honda - 76 Points

Going into the final round, to win the Championship, I need to score five more points than Alonso, and 7 more points than Schumacher, so I think a win will be vital for that to happen.

BRAZIL

Qualifying went as usual. 5th in Q1 and 10th in Q2. The car had loads over oversteer in Turns 1 ans 2 which was very frustrating, it was worse when I only had a few laps of fuel in. I was very slow in Q3. 9th, then up to 8th, then back down to 9th again. Then I got my act together and Qualified 3rd, ahead of both my title contenders, and behind Massa and Fisichella. Jenson Button split me from M Schumacher, and Montoya split M Schumacher from Alonso, so not a bad qualifying result for the last round!

I passed Fisichella almost instantly and tried desperately hard to catch Massa, but the corner came too soon. I tried to pass but I hit his rear wheel and span. Everyone stopped behind me and only Button got past. I carried on and passed him on the straight. Massa pulled away very fast and everybody else backed-up behind me. I knew that I could win the title from here if Fisichella and Button could hold off M Schumacher and Alonso, but that was partially ruined on lap 5 when Fisichella tried to pass me and Button at turn 1 and ended up hitting me, retiring on the spot. And to make it worse, Schumacher got past Button. Oh great.

Massa pitted in for his first stop some 26 seconds ahead of me and came back out in 4th. Liuzzi got up 4th after everyones first stops! Their were no problems in my first stop, and I rejoined in 3rd having originally been leading. After Massa and Schumacher made their second stops I was leading with Massa 2 seconds behind. I span at the last turn on lap 52 and lost my place to Massa. 2 laps later I was right on his tail but I had to pit in for my final stop. I rushed the pit stop and I got the X's, costing me 2 seconds. I rejoined with Massa 31 seconds ahead.

Alonso and Schumacher were right on my tail now. Both of them passed me on lap 55 on the main straight. Alonso went wide in turn 1 and then he hit the wall in turn 2! Schumacher then drove into him as he span back into the middle of the track! Unfortunately, I couldn't react fast enough and hit Schumacher, losing my front wing. They both retired on the spot, and I limped back to the pits.

I left the pits in 6th place with Trulli 6 seconds ahead. Everybody ahead of me except for Massa still had a stop to do, so I jumped up to second, with Button 5 seconds behind.

Massa won the race 45 seconds ahead of me. But I won the Championship 3 points ahead of Alonso and 5 points ahead of Schumacher. :D

FINAL STANDINGS

1. Heidfeld (me) - 102 Points
2. Alonso - 99 Points
3. M Schumacher - 97 Points
4. Massa - 89 Points
5. Fisichella - 72 Points

1. Ferrari - 186 Points
2. Renault - 171 Points
3. McLaren - 112 Points
4. BMW Sauber - 102 Points
5. Honda 85 Points

Here's the results table.

Attachments

• My F1 Season.zip
    6 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Nice thread. Australia isnt that bad. If you can win around Malaysia you should have no problems around Melbourne. And wow! Full Grand Prix, and two in one day!! :crazy:

Fun thread, I'll be watching it. Interesting that you saw AI:s go off at oilslicks and that you were fueled for a 1 stopper (?) when you had scheduled 2 stops just because you missed the scheduled stop by one lap. Or did I get it wrong? Interesting that you decided to push throttle when the green lights go out. I might copy that for the feeling of fairness. I always wanted to do full race again I've only done it once, but it is hard to find the time because I want to finish the season as well. If I go for 100% race distance I want to make sure the settings are great which means I use up all the practice time so in the end one race becomes a 4+ hours racing event...

Nice thread. Australia isnt that bad. If you can win around Malaysia you should have no problems around Melbourne. And wow! Full Grand Prix, and two in one day!! :crazy:

Starting from 11th will make that pretty difficult. I'll do the race soon.

I have yet to complete a race around monaco, if i don't get taken out, I clip the wall on the exit of the last corner and lost the front left wheel. Really makes you appreciate how good the real F1 guys are.

SPAIN

I really hate this circuit, mainly because I suck at it!

Same here. I just can't get a competitive S2 time. I was never fond of its design either. My least favorite track in the game, by far. I'm competitive everywhere else.

Cool Thread!

Last edited:
Same here. I just can't get a competitive S2 time. I was never fond of its design either. My least favorite track in the game, by far. I'm competitive everywhere else.

Cool Thread!

I can blitz it in S3! But I'm slow everywhere else, and it's such a boring track as well!

Doing a season on Hard with absolutely no restarts is tough, doing it with full-length races is bordering on masochism! But if you really want to be heroic, why don't you try the whole season in the rain! ;)

I don't know if it's possible that F1:CE is more difficult than RL F1 racing, but it certainly puts into perspective the incredible skill & concentration required of RL F1 drivers.

With regard to Monaco, even though I'm not nearly as fast as some of you guys on the circuit, I find it relatively easy to set faster times than the AI for a single lap. But sustaining that pace over a full-length race without at some point wrecking the car? Fogedaboutit!

Doing a season on Hard with absolutely no restarts is tough, doing it with full-length races is bordering on masochism! But if you really want to be heroic, why don't you try the whole season in the rain! ;)
quote]

I'll do that after I've finished this Season!

I have yet to complete a race around monaco, if i don't get taken out, I clip the wall on the exit of the last corner and lost the front left wheel. Really makes you appreciate how good the real F1 guys are.

Tell me about it.

I was just driving my championship today, medium difficulty, super aguri 1st driver, I got pole at Monaco, lead for the entire race till 2 laps before the finish and then I befell the now infamous Monaco-AI-cheating-sydrome, the computer decided to throw me not 1 but 2 oil spills.
The first one was just before the tunnel which I recovered from alright. But the second was right at the swimming pool, I hit it full speed, spun and stopped with some minor damage.
However, then Fisichella came flying at me and broke my front wing and pushed my car just enough backwards that it hit the barrier and broke off the right rear wheel. Retirement, no points.

I've only scored 2 points so far, and that was at my best track, the Nurburgring, where I had gained pole but lost it and managed to recover. I'm just about to start Montreal tomorrow. The only other track I feel I can get a definite win at is Indianapolis, though it will require some serious blocking with the lack of horsepower.

though it will require some serious blocking with the lack of horsepower.
That's more like it :) no more "letting through" like you did with me online ha ha

But why do you race at medium level when you can get pole with Super Aguri? Although I do understand that it can be nice and fun to be able to drive a little more relaxed compared to hard where one has to be 100% rabid racer all the time.

Last edited:
I find Silverstone to be the second hardest track after Catalunya in terms of AI competitiveness. Icelt put in a very impressive time during practice in his MF1 career and still wound up in the back of the field. Montreal should hopefully be better.

Tell me about it.

I was just driving my championship today, medium difficulty, super aguri 1st driver, I got pole at Monaco, lead for the entire race till 2 laps before the finish and then I befell the now infamous Monaco-AI-cheating-sydrome, the computer decided to throw me not 1 but 2 oil spills.
The first one was just before the tunnel which I recovered from alright. But the second was right at the swimming pool, I hit it full speed, spun and stopped with some minor damage.
However, then Fisichella came flying at me and broke my front wing and pushed my car just enough backwards that it hit the barrier and broke off the right rear wheel. Retirement, no points.

I've only scored 2 points so far, and that was at my best track, the Nurburgring, where I had gained pole but lost it and managed to recover. I'm just about to start Montreal tomorrow. The only other track I feel I can get a definite win at is Indianapolis, though it will require some serious blocking with the lack of horsepower.

Are you talking about Career mode? I don't understand why anyone would choose to drive the Auguri in WC mode on Medium - why wouldn't you take a "decent" car & compete on Hard?

I think the key to winning at Monaco is to get Pole (which, in my case, I have to admit, means multiple restarts :guilty:), & then hang onto the lead without pushing too hard, because if you push too hard you will eventually hit something or spin out. I always find myself pushing for a faster lap time, even though I'm comfortably in the lead, & then, sooner or later... BANG! :ouch:

But why do you race at medium level when you can get pole with Super Aguri? Although I do understand that it can be nice and fun to be able to drive a little more relaxed compared to hard where one has to be 100% rabid racer all the time.

Are you talking about Career mode? I don't understand why anyone would choose to drive the Auguri in WC mode on Medium - why wouldn't you take a "decent" car & compete on Hard?

I think the key to winning at Monaco is to get Pole (which, in my case, I have to admit, means multiple restarts :guilty:), & then hang onto the lead without pushing too hard, because if you push too hard you will eventually hit something or spin out. I always find myself pushing for a faster lap time, even though I'm comfortably in the lead, & then, sooner or later... BANG! :ouch:

I can't possibly do the time trial tests on hard and I have a hard enough time keeping consistent finishes on medium. Just because I can grab pole on a few certain tracks doesn't mean I can do it on all of them and also finish the race in 1st. I've so far only had one points finish in that season, which was a 7th at the Nurburgring (which again I started from about 2nd or 3rd, can't remember).
I picked Super Aguri because I felt like it, not because I wanted the best/worst car.
I also can't be bothered setting up the car properly for each track, which is another reason why I could never keep up with hard AI.

Like I said, my problem with Monaco wasn't any of my normal problems, I had pole and a very consistent race (which I barely ever have) but the AI decided to spill oil everywhere. Perhaps I should emphasise, this isn't a normal scenario for me, I usually qualify 10th and always DNF thanks to me screwing up somewhere.

That's more like it :) no more "letting through" like you did with me online ha ha

Ok, to be fair I only let you through because I wasn't sure what you were going to do. I suppose it also came from my experiences in GT5P, where people don't know the standard racing rules (not implying you don't, it just became second nature to be extra careful about cars behind trying moves you don't see coming).
In hindsight, I should have just committed to the chicane anyway, trusting you to respect my line, but if it happened again I would know I could trust you, whereas before I hadn't physically raced you before.

Oh, and I think at that point I had had about 7 or so races where GT4 Genius had jumped up my inside and took us both out, so I think when it came to the Canadian GP I was a bit paranoid about causing accidents by unpredictable moves (I was worried I had caused some of the incidents with Genius).

With the AI, I can always be 100% certain what they are going to try and do.

Oh, and I think at that point I had had about 7 or so races where GT4 Genius had jumped up my inside and took us both out, so I think when it came to the Canadian GP I was a bit paranoid about causing accidents by unpredictable moves (I was worried I had caused some of the incidents with Genius).

Some!! Dont you mean ALL :sly:.
Just jokin, I remember some of them. In Monaco I though you slowed down way too much for the chicane after the tunnel and I had a bit of a Kimi moment! Then on the final lap of the Nurburgring I was getting frustrated with me missing every gear in manual and even missing the pits twice! So that was a bit of an inexcusable lunge down the inside into the second last corner, sorry about that. I kind of forget the rest of them now but I definitly hit you way way way more than anyone else, guess we always wanted the same part of the track!

Cant wait to be racing online with all of you again, this no PSN thing is getting really annoying now. :ouch:

Some!! Dont you mean ALL :sly:.
Just jokin, I remember some of them. In Monaco I though you slowed down way too much for the chicane after the tunnel and I had a bit of a Kimi moment! Then on the final lap of the Nurburgring I was getting frustrated with me missing every gear in manual and even missing the pits twice! So that was a bit of an inexcusable lunge down the inside into the second last corner, sorry about that. I kind of forget the rest of them now but I definitly hit you way way way more than anyone else, guess we always wanted the same part of the track!

Cant wait to be racing online with all of you again, this no PSN thing is getting really annoying now. :ouch:

Well, I know a couple of the times were when I had been trying to improve my race consistencey, so I had gotten used to braking earlier and taking corners more carefully, so no doubt that didn't help when you and others tried to overtake.
And several months later, and I still have consistencey problems. I don't know what it is with F1:CE, but I'm fine with Gran Turismo. I'm wondering whether its the rather exaggerated off track physics, I mean, I know F1 cars can spin extremely easily once grip has been lost, but sometimes its rediculous with the little touches on the grass or the rumble strips. But that still doesn't excuse me when you lot seem to be fine with it. I'm in a constant cycle of improvement here, lol.

Well, I know a couple of the times were when I had been trying to improve my race consistencey, so I had gotten used to braking earlier and taking corners more carefully, so no doubt that didn't help when you and others tried to overtake.
And several months later, and I still have consistencey problems. I don't know what it is with F1:CE, but I'm fine with Gran Turismo. I'm wondering whether its the rather exaggerated off track physics, I mean, I know F1 cars can spin extremely easily once grip has been lost, but sometimes its rediculous with the little touches on the grass or the rumble strips. But that still doesn't excuse me when you lot seem to be fine with it. I'm in a constant cycle of improvement here, lol.

Dont be too hard on yourself, I've been playing F1 games for nearly a decade and I spin an awe full lot even when your no were near me believe it or not! :dopey:

Whoops, better not hijack Peters thread.

You seem to be fast, but then seem to have a lot of mid race lapses in concentration or something which seems to make you DNF a lot.

Dont be too hard on yourself, I've been playing F1 games for nearly a decade and I spin an awe full lot even when your no were near me believe it or not! :dopey:

Whoops, better not hijack Peters thread.

You seem to be fast, but then seem to have a lot of mid race lapses in concentration or something which seems to make you DNF a lot.

Yeah, its just making little mistakes here and there, and they cost me dearly. Its not concentration, because I'm fine with other racing games, but then again, I do make little mistakes in Gran Turismo quite often, its just that mistakes there is something like having to take a slightly different line after braking slightly too late or touching the grass a bit, whereas a mistake here is turning a little too much and tapping a barrier enough to break off a wheel or running slightly wide at the chicanes at San Marino and spinning every time.

But, erm, back on topic, gutted on Silverstone, Peter. I lucked into a 9th position there after having to restart the race once thanks to Webber stopping his car in the middle of the track in the middle of the pack right after the first corner on the first lap.

I can't possibly do the time trial tests on hard

It sounds like you are talking about Career & NOT World Championship mode as there are no "Time Trial tests" required in WC mode. In which case, I would agree with you: stick to Medium. I found in Career on Medium I was able to win the Championship in my first season :cool:, whereas on Hard I have not managed to get a Drivers position yet. :indiff:

That's why I am focused on WC on Hard at the minute, where I can be competitive & improve my times with a "decent" car, & then once I succeed in winning the Championship in WC, I can go back & try Career on Hard.

Yeah I know what you guys mean. Hard on career mode is almost impossible! However, I am a competitive person and so I go on Hard on career anyway. So far I am on my second season and have moved from Super Aguri to MF1, which trust me, are faster. It's good though, because even in a super aguri, on Bahrain I can still come 7th, so I can't wait to get into a decent car!

And this is an awesome diary. It was a compelling read and had inspired me to start my own WC diary, which will be up soon. I have only done one race so far and it isn't a full grand prix, because i didn't have the time at the time, so it's only half.

Latest Posts

Back