My first time dealing with YLOD (added ways to fix YLOD)

Digital-Nitrate

1955-2011 R.I.P.
Premium
United States
Austin, Texas
D-Nitrate / GTP_DNitrate
I posted this in the official PS forums, but thought I'd share my experience here, seeing as this is after all where my PS3 experience started so to speak...

Unfortunately my PS3 appears to have died from YLOD Thursday night.... I guess it got over excited about the LBP spaces in Home. ;)

It shutdown automatically and then the red power light just kept on flashing. I've had this PS3 for over three years and neither has ever happened before so I wasn't sure what was up. So I did a quick search on Sony's PS3 Support site, and found the following info:

What do the colors of the power and disc lights on the PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system mean?

So at first I was hoping it was just a temporary over heating issue as I never noticed any yellow light and I have noticed over the last few months that the fan had been running at higher speeds more than usual. In fact, I just recently heard people recommending replacing the thermal paste which I was planning on doing... but sounds like I may have been too late!

I waited 30 minutes as suggested and then tried to start it up again, but no dice. All the power light did was turn green, then yellow, then green, then kept flashing red. So then I decided not to do anything until the next day.

So the next day I went ahead and tried starting it again, and still no dice. So then I took the shell casing off the PS3 and used compressed air to get rid of all the dust... and there was a ton of dust in there! :embarrassed:

However, after putting it all back and trying to start it up again, it still didn't work and was still giving the same sequence of lights, first green, then yellow, then green, then the continual flashing red.

So apparently some internal part of my PS3 is not working properly, and needs to be diagnosed.

I've never known anyone personally that had to deal with YLOD. I only know about it from people I know from the fourms and what I have read on the internet. So I guess I'm going to have to do some research on how to fix this issue.

I've heard some people have had success fixing YLOD by simply replacing the thermal paste, but that doesn't quite make sense to me as the paste is not a working part, it simply helps transfer the heat from the processor chips to the heat sink. So if it was just a heating issue, then I would not be getting the green-yellow-green-flashing red sequence. In stead, it would turn on and then turn off soon after words with just the flashing red lights.

I've heard there are some 3rd party service centers that will actually repair your PS3 rather than replace it like Sony does, and so maybe that's what I'll have to do.

So unless I can get this fixed...

60GB/320GB PS3 (CECHA01)

R.I.P.

12/12/2006 - 5/13/2010

Seems like it was just yesterday...

Just picked this up on Tuesday... still haven't had a chance to open her up:

... and no, the pink iPod is NOT for me, it's a xmas gift

... and no, the Diapers aren't for me either!
;)

$700... was a bargain at the time even for just the Blu-ray player, and I certainly got more than my money's worth I am happy to say!

Thanks for all the great memories! :cheers:

Funny thing is that I never even played the game it came with.

If anyone has some recommendations on how I might be able to diagnosis the exact problem and fix it, or can recommend a reputable service center, please let me know, thanks!

UPDATE:

OK, so after doing some research over the weekend it seems many people were able to fix (although perhaps just temporarily) their YLOD PS3 by simply doing a reflow of the CPU and GPU chips, however, I can also see why doing a reball of the chips' ball grid arrays is a better option with longer lasting results.

I got several recommendations of different people and companies that will reflow and or reball PS3s, including a few that are fortunately right here in Austin, Texas, which is great as I wasn't crazy about mailing my PS3, not to mention the long turnaround time. Instead of waiting a couple weeks, it will take only a few hours.

However, before I pay for a reball, which costs about $100, I'm going to first try just doing a reflow. I found a few people via Craig's List, one by the name of Scott, who apparently has been doing reflows for PS3s, 360s, and PCs for a long time now with very good results. Besides the reflow, he will also replace the thermal grease with Arctic Silver 5, check to make sure the fan, power supply, and Blu-ray drive are working properly, and clean all the surfaces. All for only $45.

Best of all, he will also show me exactly how he does it by letting me sit in with him while he works on my PS3, so at the very least it will be an interesting learning experience.

If that fails to fix my PS3, then I'll probably go ahead and have Tek Republik, a local company, reball my PS3, which will cost $120.

In either case, if I get my PS3 to work, not only am I going to immediately run the Backup Utility, but I think I might also follow Tip #1 from the following thread:

3 Tips for a Greener and Cooler-Running Backwards Compatible PS3 System

And thus replace the power supply for one that doesn't produce as much heat. In fact, I sort of wish the PS3 used an external power supply like the 360, just to get that heat source out of the case.

Tip #2 doesn't apply to my PS3 as it already has the 19 blade fan, and Tip #3 will get done when I get it reflowed.

Wish me luck! :nervous:

UPDATE: It is fixed... for how long, who knows, but it is fixed. Click here for details.

Here is an extensive DIY YLOD Fixing guide, which also shows how easy it is to remove the Blu-ray drive, as well as everything else. PS3's are surprisingly easy to take apart:

YLOD REPAIR GUIDE

Here is his downloadable instructional guide.

And here are some videos he has made showing step by step how to take apart, fix, and put a fat PS3 back together:

[YOUTUBEHD]U70SgRDVcBo[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]TePnCFKionE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]EAmpDwqCgnI[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]pGIE77M8zu4[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]ZINm3jbZPRE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]c6ooJqJgk9E[/YOUTUBEHD]

Here is a video showing how/where to add flux to the PS3 circuit board as well as show the clamp bending technique:

[YOUTUBEHD]MZRReDIHTe0[/YOUTUBEHD]

Last edited:
Another 60 gigger dying. My only hope is that whatever is happening to a lot of these near-launch 60GB units was adjusted by the time I bought mine the following June.

Quite frankly, it is the backward compatibility that I would miss most.

Good luck getting it fixed D-N.

Yeah, for sure, have all the good luck you want! I am surprised it lasted 3 years to be honest :lol:.

Yeah, for sure, have all the good luck you want! I am surprised it lasted 3 years to be honest :lol:.

Why is that so surprising, my first PS3 is probably around 3 years old & still no problems.

Digital-nitrate, i'll get a rose to put on your PS3's tomb stone. RIP little buddy

Why is that so surprising, my first PS3 is probably around 3 years old & still no problems.

Well as a friend of Legendarys, my second 60gb just went last week in about 2 years and 6 months or so. That's why I'm swapping for a 160gb tomorrow, hoping for some reliability with this one.

Well as a friend of Legendarys, my second 60gb just went last week in about 2 years and 6 months or so. That's why I'm swapping for a 160gb tomorrow, hoping for some reliability with this one.

Legendary is my friend also & wow a 160gb. Nice.

I've had my 60GB for about 3 and a half years and it's still going strong. I read all these YLOD stories and just hope that mine is a black sheep and keeps going. I'm sorry about your loss, it must be tough.

I've had my 60GB for about 3 and a half years and it's still going strong. I read all these YLOD stories and just hope that mine is a black sheep and keeps going. I'm sorry about your loss, it must be tough.

I don't get worked up over YLOD stories, even tho it's happened to me. After all, of all the people I know personally that own a PS3, and that's quite a few, I'm the only one that has experienced YLOD. Yes, you can find lots of people online, just like I have that are happy to share the fact that their PS3 died, but considering over 35 million have been sold, even if just 10% did, that's still 3.5 million dead PS3s, and if only 10% of those with a dead PS3 posted about it, that's still 350,000 different people posting... I think you would have a very hard time even finding a few thousand, let alone a few hundred thousand, let alone a few million different people posting that there PS3 died.

Not only that, but it's the Internet... I don't think anyone that follows this stuff would even attempt to suggest that everyone that says their PS3 died is telling the truth. After all, there is no shortage of console fanboy/girls and their opposing haters that seem to get a kick out of saying things that are not true to make one console appear better or inferior to another.

So my PS3 got YLOD... I'm not losing any sleep over it, things like this happen. After all, as anyone that followed my shared PS3 experiences over the last three and a half years knows that my poor PS3 has not only logged thousands of hours, played well over a hundred Blu-ray movies, played over a hundred games, countless hours in Home (my wife is hooked), abused by hordes of little kids high on sugar, hundreds of hours of Folding@Home, countless times using the web browser to check mail, read news, check GTP, wiki, IMDB, metacritic, YouTube, etc., swapped out for larger hard drives three times, easily downloaded more than a terabyte of data, lots of games, DLC, videos, etc.

Frankly, I'm amazed my PS3's connectors hadn't gone bad considering the countless times we have had to unplug and reconnected all the cables each time we move the PS3 to the home theater, game room, family room, even our bedroom. It seems it's always on the move depending on who is using it and for what reason.

Not only that, but we also took it with us on many family trips, so it has also logged a lot of travel miles as well.

And I am embarrassed to admit... over these last three and a half years I never once cleaned out all the dust that had accumulated inside until after this happened. :guilty:

However, I certainly hope I am able to get it fixed, and based on the research that I have done, it seems many people have been able to get theirs fixed, especially those that had their CPU and GPU chips professionally reballed. 👍

Last edited:
I was tempted to get mine fixed properly, but this 60gb has already broken before to be refurbed so I don't think it's the best of the breed. I'm someone who leads people into thinking PS3s are unreliable, but I know I'm really just unlucky or perhaps it is because I put these systems through ALOT more hours then most so I'm more likely to push them over the edge. Either way I'm hoping to break my bad luck with the 160, I wish you good luck with yours D-N if only it was like the old days of the original PlayStation where you had to blow some dust out and bam, it's all good again.

Commiserations DN, my launch PS3 is not long for the world either.

I think the my PS3's GPU is on its way out, because when I play MW2, the lobby screens flash a purplish pink, and when I go in game the gun flashes bright green. This is not constant, but it is happening regularly enough for me to realise that my unit's days are numbered... :nervous:

Mine died from YLOD I think little over a week ago. This is the second time my 40GB(w/80GB HD) broke. Under warranty, laser or something went out, everything functioned, but it had no idea if there was a disc loaded in it or not.

When I filled the automated repair request form at SONY site, I think it said $119 for the repair? Probably add a freight charge to them on top of that, I doubt they'll pay freight both ways.

I thought $119 was a pretty good deal, but Mag's post concerns me. Even if I have this YLOD thing fixed, another part could fail, as my PS3 probably close to three years old. But if I buy a new PS3, I couldn't transfer the saves, right? :nervous:

As I posted in the general discussion before I found this thread, mine is having the same problem. It lasted 2 and a half years, I wish I could say it had a hard life but I really don't play very much. I will try to revive it using some things I saw here and elsewhere on the internet, but will probably end up getting a slim. Until this is resolved I guess I will log some more time on my nine year old PS2.

But if I buy a new PS3, I couldn't transfer the saves, right? :nervous:

Most game saves are not copy protected, so you can always copy them and use them on any PS3 you like. Just highlight the game save you want to copy, press triangle, and select copy. You can copy it to a different account, or to any storage device (memory card, flash drive, USB hard drive, etc).

In fact, most game saves will even let you use them using a different PSN account... but only the account that made the game save will be able to earn trophies using that game save.

Furthermore, you can always use the PS3's Data Transfer Utility app to transfer all your data, including copy protected data, from one PS3 to another, with just a few rare exceptions.

Most game saves are not copy protected, so you can always copy them and use them on any PS3 you like. Just highlight the game save you want to copy, press triangle, and select copy. You can copy it to a different account, or to any storage device (memory card, flash drive, USB hard drive, etc).

In fact, most game saves will even let you use them using a different PSN account... but only the account that made the game save will be able to earn trophies using that game save.

Furthermore, you can always use the PS3's Data Transfer Utility app to transfer all your data, including copy protected data, from one PS3 to another, with just a few rare exceptions.

I just got another PS3 and I was going to try to transfer the information from my old PS3 to the new one. The only problem is now my old PS3 won't even turn on. Last night it would run for a bit before turning itself off. Is there any way to get the old stuff from the old system? Would it be possible to put my old hard drive in another system and transfer it to my new system, or is it possible the problem is the old hard drive itself?

I just got another PS3 and I was going to try to transfer the information from my old PS3 to the new one. The only problem is now my old PS3 won't even turn on. Last night it would run for a bit before turning itself off. Is there any way to get the old stuff from the old system? Would it be possible to put my old hard drive in another system and transfer it to my new system, or is it possible the problem is the old hard drive itself?

The only way you can run the Data Transfer Utility is if your old PS3 is working properly.

However, if you made or have copies of the non copy protected content from your old PS3 saved on another drive, then you can easily copy them over to your new PS3.

Most importantly, you can always re-download everything on your PSN store download list to your new PS3, which will also include any games, DLC, demos, that you had previously downloaded.

So as long as you made backup copies of your non copy protected content, then the only thing you'll lose are the copy protected game saves, which aren't that many.

If you didnt make any backup copies, then you'll have to create new game saves, or download other people's game saves. Just keep in mind some games don't let you play other people's game saves, and those that do, wont let you earn any trophies while using those game saves... but at least you have several options to consider.

When I filled the automated repair request form at SONY site, I think it said $119 for the repair? Probably add a freight charge to them on top of that, I doubt they'll pay freight both ways.
Hold everything. $119 is a pretty good deal, but they will charge bump on the return shipping, a whopping $29. So the total before you actually ship the unit back to SONY is $148. With the freight you initially pay before the SONY bill, it'll likely be around $160-ish, forget that.

I'm now going to look into repair outside SONY, or more likely, purchasing a PS3 Slim 120GB.

I have reflowed my "Launch" 60gb 5X already. Each reflow lasted about 1 month before I had to redo it. The last repair however has been holding up very well (+3 mos), I switched to a silver based thermal paste ($10 U.S.). If anyone decides on performing the reflow, don't skimp on the paste pay the money for the premium paste as it seems to dissipate the heat better. When I initially did the reflow I went with a medium grade paste which I thought would work better than the paste that was installed on the PS3 at the factory. The reflow technique is not difficult, there are some great you tube videos on performing the repair. The biggest thing on the reflow is taking care with the removal/opening of the ribbon cable connectors as these are easy to break.

Well today's the day... I'm off to see if that guy I found off Craig's List will be able to fix my PS3. If not, then the next step is sending it off to get reballed.

Hey, I have a 160GB limited edition. I was wondering if it will YLOD eventually. for about 2 weeks, I played 6 hours a day (BFBC2 beta..I was addicted). No, I play around 3 hours a week. Do you know how long one of the 160GB would last?

Hey, I have a 160GB limited edition. I was wondering if it will YLOD eventually. for about 2 weeks, I played 6 hours a day (BFBC2 beta..I was addicted). No, I play around 3 hours a week. Do you know how long one of the 160GB would last?
Any PS3 should last, under proper usage, until the PS4 is out or the ten year lifecycle Sony intends to support the system for. These failures are either a case of a fault in materials or something user related. Sometimes a minor combination of both can lead to the issue.

But most YLOD cases seem related to the 60GB launch models, and most likely appear to be due to a thermal paste issue. However those are few enough to not appear to be a major issue. I haven't heard of any even loose connections between failures in 160GB models, or anything other than 60GB models for that matter.

Any PS3 should last, under proper usage, until the PS4 is out or the ten year lifecycle Sony intends to support the system for. These failures are either a case of a fault in materials or something user related. Sometimes a minor combination of both can lead to the issue.

But most YLOD cases seem related to the 60GB launch models, and most likely appear to be due to a thermal paste issue. However those are few enough to not appear to be a major issue. I haven't heard of any even loose connections between failures in 160GB models, or anything other than 60GB models for that matter.

My friends 40GB got the YLOD.

Sorry to hear that DN! I think mine would be close behind, ready to say goodbye but I have since traded my 60gb launch PS3 during my replacement extended warranty period. Good reminder though, it may be time to check my receipt and find "something" wrong for another PS3 update.

I would say it has had a good life, and gawd knows you have run it through it's paces.

:cheers:

Mine was a 40GB model, but it had lots of hours put on it. I used it as a DVD player, too, but I thought it would last longer.

UPDATE:

Well I got some really bad news, followed by some really good news, but with the possibility of really bad news in the future, and also possible great news in the future...

OK, so first the really bad news.

I got to his shop and after removing the top case, and removing both the Blu-ray drive and power supply, everything was looking OK:

100_0632.jpg

Although, I had just recently done this already and had used compressed air to clean all the dust, which there was quite a lot.

However, the moment he uncovered the motherboard, it was immediately apparent something bad had happened:

100_0634.jpg

As you can see, and you'll see in other pics, there are distinct burn marks on several different circuits, which suggested that those circuits may very well be burned out, and thus he said there is a very good chance that he would not be able to fix my PS3. :nervous:

Then he removed the fan and heat sink from the bottom... and just look at all the dust... but that's not at all what he was worried about. The biggest problem by far was that almost all the thermal grease over the CPU plate had worn off:

100_0635.jpg

100_0636.jpg

Without the correct amount of thermal grease, the heat from the chips isn't efficiently distributed to the heat sink, which explains why over the last six months my PS3's fan has been kicking into higher speed much more often than it ever did before.

So with the burned motherboard, and worn off thermal grease, it looked like my PS3 was not going to be able to come back to life. :guilty:

However, that was not going to stop Scott from trying to get it fixed, so he continued on.

Here he is applying some additional flux to some of the circuit connectors:

100_0637.jpg

After letting it sit for awhile, he then used a heat gun set at ~600 degrees and applied the heat in circles for exactly 45 seconds on each of the different main parts on the board:

100_0638.jpg

He used a laser surface thermostat to check the temperature:

100_0639.jpg

When it had cooled down enough he repeated the heat gun application, but this time for only 30 seconds on each area on the motherboard.

The next step was to remove and replace the old thermal grease on both of the heat sink plates with Arctic Silver 5. Just five drops on each plate (then spread evenly over the plate) was all that was needed:

100_0641.jpg

Now it was time to start putting it all back together:

100_0640.jpg

Once it was all back together, he turned the power on and....

IT WORKED!!!! :cheers:

Best $45 I have ever spent! :)👍

However, he said because of the damage to the circuit board, and that with just a reflow, there is no telling how long this fix will last. :indiff:

Before I left, I noticed he had a lot of PS3 cases and parts, and asked if I could buy the shell casing for my PS3 model, with the thought of painting it as an alternative case for my PS3, and he generously let me have one at no cost.

Last edited:
Looking at the Motherboard pics, it looks like the components made the epoxy coating just got really hot and discolored it. $45 is a fair price to pay to have the reflow done. Just a suggestion, I would dust your PS3 once or twice a month to keep sufficient airflow. Have fun.

Looking at the Motherboard pics, it looks like the components made the epoxy coating just got really hot and discolored it.

I certainly hope that is the case. :nervous:

BTW: An important update to what I said earlier:

In either case, if I get my PS3 to work, not only am I going to immediately run the Backup Utility, but I think I might also follow Tip #1 from the following thread:

3 Tips for a Greener and Cooler-Running Backwards Compatible PS3 System

And thus replace the power supply for one that doesn't produce as much heat. In fact, I sort of wish the PS3 used an external power supply like the 360, just to get that heat source out of the case.

Tip #2 doesn't apply to my PS3 as it already has the 19 blade fan, and Tip #3 will get done when I get it reflowed.

It turned out my model has the 15 blade fan, so I asked him about the fan as well as the power supply, and he said they make almost no difference at all. Seeing as he would have benefited financially by selling them to me and installing them, and considering his background and experience, I wasn't about to doubt him.

He said the most important thing you can do to prolong the life of a fat PS3 is to not use it in an equipment rack unless the rack is well ventilated and has built-in fans. Ideally he said it is best to use the PS3 on it's side in it's vertical position rather than horizontally, and to replace the thermal grease as soon as the warranty runs out. Then annually take apart your PS3 and clean it free from all the dust, and replace the thermal grease.

He also said that he knows of some people who drill holes on the bottom of their PS3 case directly below the fan blades, and that apparently helps the hot air escape from the case a lot faster.

However, he definitely did not recommend changing the fan or the power supply, not because it would necessarily cause any harm, but that there was no real benefit in doing either.

Back