My first time dealing with YLOD (added ways to fix YLOD)

I ran my Backup Utility After about my 3rd reflow and after buying a second PS3. Unfortuantely the backup doesn't really help very much if you lose the PS3 you did the backup from. After performing the backup, I swapped my 500gb HDD and put in new PS3 then I did a restore on the new PS3. I did not have any of my game save data, particularly the copy protected EA games.

I ran my Backup Utility After about my 3rd reflow and after buying a second PS3. Unfortuantely the backup doesn't really help very much if you lose the PS3 you did the backup from. After performing the backup, I swapped my 500gb HDD and put in new PS3 then I did a restore on the new PS3. I did not have any of my game save data, particularly the copy protected EA games.

Correct. The only way you can transfer copy protected content from one PS3 to another is by using the Data Transfer Utility app.

The Backup Utility app will allow you to restore copy protected files, but only for the system the files were backed up from.

Fortunately, you can always re-download copy protected content onto your new PS3 from the PSN download list. 👍

Just saying.....

liquid-cooled-ps3.jpg

Glad to hear you are back up and running though. :)

Liquid cooled...:drool:

Is that photoshopped, or the real deal? If real, I'd love to read more about it, do you have a link?

It's the real deal. Koolance was going to release a after-market product, but it appears they pulled it. There are several links on the net, but it would be a "mod" for sure. Should not be too hard to do as long as you can get enough surface tension on the water blocks to adequately cool the processor cells.

Really, any water block that's large enough will do. Hook up the pump, reservoir, and radiator and you're set to go.

Linkage: http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=605969&st=15

I wish I read this sooner. I could have saved you $45.

My reflow, (I did everything above), lasted nine days. Done. I took baby steps. First, using the 19 blade fan and using new thermal paste. Then, the heat gun treatment. Then, oven baking and a solder reflow.

What's going on is the solder itself. It has no lead. The solder is drying out and cracking and this causes the chips to no longer have a connection to the board. Re-soldering helps, but without fluxing, the solder often doesn't go where it needs to. Applying new flux helps, but isn't perfect. Despite doing all this, the solder doesn't last very long since it's pretty much FUBAR to begin with.

After the second time, out of three attempts I tried fixing my PS3, I went out and bought a new PS3. IF you have yours running now, YOU MUST BUY A NEW PS3 AND TRANSFER ALL THE DATA WHILE YOU STILL CAN!!! I didn't. But, I do save and store my game saves and game data to a flash drive, so that saved my ass.

BTW, if you didn't mind the shipping cost or shipping time, I would've done yours for free. So far, I've done 14. Only 5 have lasted longer than three weeks. The 'reflow' fix is NOT PERMANENT.

Good luck with yours. :)

Digital-Nitrate, good to hear you got it working again! At least now you will have a chance to buy a new PS3 and use the Data Transfer Utility to copy everything over if you wish.

I have a 60GB launch unit (the EU one, with software backwards compatiblity), after reading all the horror stories I bought a slim last December and transferred over to it. I wasn't really using the PS2 BC, I just wanted to have one because it's cool and they're rare. :P

Now my 60GB is back in its box, in storage. :)

Glad to hear your up and running again. But if it happens again, there is no shame in buying a slim PS3. I did, and I love it. Who really cares about the no backwards compatibility? Do you buy a PS3 to play PS2 games?

I wish I read this sooner. I could have saved you $45.

Thanks, but I'm actually quite happy with it. He spent over two hours taking it apart, cleaning it, adding additional flux, re-flowing it, replacing the thermal grease with Arctic Silver 5, checking the power supply and blu-ray drive, and putting it all back together.

I have no expectations on how long the fix will last. I just needed time to backup the files I had not backed up before. Beyond that, every day is just an added bonus.

If or when it fails again, I'll either return it to Costco and get my $700 back, or I'll send it off to get reballed with lead based solder:

[YOUTUBEHD]ysV66a1-2pE[/YOUTUBEHD]

Glad to hear your up and running again. But if it happens again, there is no shame in buying a slim PS3. I did, and I love it. Who really cares about the no backwards compatibility? Do you buy a PS3 to play PS2 games?

Thanks, and no, I don't care about BC. I still have a fat PS2 and a slim PS2... but I haven't played a PS2 game in a very long time. The fat PS2 is just sitting in a box somewhere, and the slim PS2 is used by the kids as a DVD player.

So my PS3 will no longer read Blu ray disks. I blame myself for playing Demon' Souls for 10hours Saturday. I've never played a PS3 game that long before but the game is so good its hard to put down. I am no handy man and i may end up calling Sony for repairs. This is bad at a time of so many new game and movie purchases in the last month. I can still play DVD's and CD's. Not Blu Rays.

Any advice? And Pako's rig is beyond belief.

So my PS3 will no longer read Blu ray disks. I blame myself for playing Demon' Souls for 10hours Saturday. I've never played a PS3 game that long before but the game is so good its hard to put down. I am no handy man and i may end up calling Sony for repairs. This is bad at a time of so many new game and movie purchases in the last month. I can still play DVD's and CD's. Not Blu Rays.

Any advice? And Pako's rig is beyond belief.

Your Blu-Ray drive has gone out, it is not hard to replace and you can find one on E-bay for ~$85 U.S. Dollars. If your PS3 is in warranty definitely let Sony fix it. If out of warranty it will be about $150 for Sony to fix it. There are some good You Tube videos on replacing the Blu-Ray drive. It is right on top when you open your PS3 so it's not hard to replace. The key is to be careful with the ribbon cable and connector on the motherboard. I have a PS3 I bought 6mos ago, lost receipt so I have to order a new Blu-ray drive since mine went out. You can check the serial/model number on the back or your PS3 to ensure you order the correct BD drive when ordering. Good Luck if you decide to try repair yourself. Research both E-bay and You Tube to see if it is something you might want to try.👍

I saw a few videos, with replacing the laser, definitely not somehting I want to try to do. Rather pay more for the whole drive.

Ok It seems to want to work sometimes but that is not good enough for me. It will be one year end of next month. I know Sony will not fix it until its completly not working so I'm screwed there. I still have my first PS3 but i broke the blu ray drive getting a horrible movie rental out that would have cost me $27 after it YLOD'd.

I'm playing Little big planet right now but I'm afraid to put Demon's souls back in since its the game that caused the problem.

I saw a few videos, with replacing the laser, definitely not somehting I want to try to do. Rather pay more for the whole drive.

Ok It seems to want to work sometimes but that is not good enough for me. It will be one year end of next month. I know Sony will not fix it until its completly not working so I'm screwed there. I still have my first PS3 but i broke the blu ray drive getting a horrible movie rental out that would have cost me $27 after it YLOD'd.

I'm playing Little big planet right now but I'm afraid to put Demon's souls back in since its the game that caused the problem.

Sounds like maybe the blu-ray laser pickup needs to be cleaned, which is easy to do with some isopropyl alcohol and a Q-tip.

Worst case scenario though, as jswilli1 said, it's very easy to change the blu-ray drive. It's the first thing you see when you remove the top, and the ribbon cable connector is a standard PC board connector that clicks right off.

It reads DVD's and CD's, are there two lasers? I only saw one in the repair video. Seems I can only play games that are intalled that don't load off the Disc(Oblivion, LBP) 3D Dot game Heros made it to the title screen then froze. Movies cant get past the main menu.

It reads DVD's and CD's, are there two lasers?

There are multiple lasers (780nm red for CD, 640nm red for DVD, 405nm blue for Blu-ray), but I believe only one pickup, which is what can stop working properly if it gets excessively dirty, or damaged.

However, if the problem is just the Blu-ray diode (Indium Gallium Nitride), that too can be replaced for less than the cost of a replacement blu-ray drive.

Now I personally haven't had to do any of this, but it's what I learned about while researching YLOD, and from what I have seen and read, any of these possible remedies is fairly easy to do.

Sucks that your PS3 died DN, you really gave it a work out im sure! Im glad you got it working again. Anything to avoid paying double money to Sony (buying another). After seeing whats happened to the thermal grease on yours I might consider putting Artic Silver 5 on mine before its too late.

My PS3 died (BR Drive) after 2 years with only 5 games and 1 year of real use, felt so damn cheated. Most (including Sony) keep saying its the lazer but I dont believe it, I believe its firmware (everyones system has different variables and different installed stuff so people saying 'oh mine hasnt died' doesnt mean anything). My laser lights up but doesnt read.

The BR controller board is keyed to the mobo. There is a Blu Ray controller chip which can only be flashed (like a Bios chip). If it corrupts there is no way to reflash it. People have done videos where they remove that chip and reball a new fresh chip on it. People have also found the drive works in Linux but not in the XMB. I really don't know what I can do with mine anymore.

Robin.

So I heard it can take from 3-6 weeks to get a system back from Sony. Thats too long for my schedule. My summer is reserved for my artwork and summer work. I found a guy on Craig's list that does BRD replacements for $80. A shop replaces the laser only for $110. Going to call the $80 guy to see what he can do for me because I'm missing out.

Edit

So I contacted "Matt" he sounds legit from his mumbo jumbo. But I will get a picture of his ID when we meet up after I get off work. I've never used Craigs list before but some guy just got his whole house robbed trying to sell a diamond a few weeks ago. And 2 years ago i guy was killed when he was trying to sell his Evo on Cragislist. But a busted PS3 I dont think is worth killing for lol. I'll have to bring my cousins from "da hood" to back me up but we might just scare him away :grumpy: I may be a 6 foot black dude with a mean look but I am a wuss...

I do not have time to back up my files so this is a chance I'm taking to save $30 by not going with the shop.

Last edited:
Here is an extensive DIY YLOD Fixing guide, which also shows how easy it is to remove the Blu-ray drive, as well as everything else. PS3's are surprisingly easy to take apart:

YLOD REPAIR GUIDE

Here is his downloadable instructional guide.

And here are some videos he has made showing step by step how to take apart, fix, and put a fat PS3 back together:

[YOUTUBEHD]U70SgRDVcBo[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]TePnCFKionE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]EAmpDwqCgnI[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]pGIE77M8zu4[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]ZINm3jbZPRE[/YOUTUBEHD]

[YOUTUBEHD]c6ooJqJgk9E[/YOUTUBEHD]

Here is a video showing how/where to add flux to the PS3 circuit board as well as show the clamp bending technique:

[YOUTUBEHD]MZRReDIHTe0[/YOUTUBEHD]

My PS3 is still working, but I decided to get the new 2101a model PS3 slim with the 40nm GPU.

Having an additional PS3 will come in handy, especially as much use as it gets among my wife and kids these days. No more waiting to use it. 👍

Here is the new addition (tried to replicate the same shot as the one I took of my first PS3):

20061212_PS3_01.jpg

Fast forward 3+ years:

100_0678.jpg

100_0679.jpg

100_0682.jpg

Last edited:
LOL, I was wondering how long it was going to take you. You honestly held out longer than I expected. :)

Last edited:
Cool, I am also thinking of upgrading to the slim PS3 too. Going to get my Launch 60GB repaired this weekend and I'm giving it to a friend. As Well as my current 80GB I will give that away too. I found a shop that fixes all systems, its a 54min drive but its worth it.

My PS3 is still working, but I decided to get the new 2101a model PS3 slim with the 40nm GPU.

In my opinion all that does it make Sony think its ok to sell you a shoddy device and get you to pay double money just a couple of years down the line. I really can't understand why people think its ok to have paid twice for the same thing in such a short amount of time, Sony must love that they are getting lots of money off most of the early adopters all over again!

Robin.

In my opinion all that does it make Sony think its ok to sell you a shoddy device and get you to pay double money just a couple of years down the line. I really can't understand why people think its ok to have paid twice for the same thing in such a short amount of time, Sony must love that they are getting lots of money off most of the early adopters all over again!

I'm sure you are only speaking for yourself, but seeing as you quoted me, I have some issues with what you said...

For one, as you well know, I've had my PS3 for over three and a half years, not "a couple".

Secondly, as anyone who has read this thread, followed my shared PS3 experiences over the years, seen me online, seen my family online, knows perfectly well I've gotten a ridiculous amount of use out of mine, and my PS3 has likely logged many more hours than most...other than the thousands that run Folding@Home 24/7 for Stanford University.

Thirdly, based on all that use, and the fact that the problem with my PS3 is due to the lead-free solder breaking down over time, just like the 360, which by law they are forced to use because they are legally considered 'toys', and as such are not allowed to have any lead based products in them... as if some child is going to take a console apart and chew on the solder.... don't you just love lawyers? Then, no, I wouldn't at all consider it a "shoddy device", and instead I am amazed how well it has functioned, and quite pleased that a relatively easy and inexpensive fix worked, and thus I am not out anything other than a very reasonable $45 repair bill.

I'm sorry, but I've had computers fail on me much worse and much faster than my PS3... and they do get to use lead based solder... so what's their excuse?

Finally, as is also quite clear from what I have shared in this and other threads, considering how much use our PS3 get's, and how often it get's moved around, purchasing another PS3, especially one that only costs $300 compared to $700, and one that uses far less power than our old PS3, and one that runs so much cooler than our old PS3, and one that will likely last a lot longer because of that, were all very reasonable reasons why I bought a new PS3.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion, as you have proven time and time again, but I am happy to have paid for and am using two PS3s, so clearly my example isn't going to support your opinion very well.

I dont think its ok, but I prefer a newer design with a warranty. But nothing lasts and things sometimes stop working. My first Dream cast worked for 12 days. took it back and got another that stopped working 1 year later. Who do you know that has a pda cell phone that they pay for 2 years(meaning it costs them over $1700 in 2 years) still has the old model? They usually upgrade. A $600 PS3 has more "mileage" for your money but people love their pda cell phones. So Me paying $300 for somehting I use more than say my ($3000 for 24mo)HTC pda phone is a better investment. If my phone breaks and I dont have an upgrade its going to cost me $600 to buy the same phone. I know both are luxuries but if my PS3 stops working its not as bad as an uninsured pda replacement.

i'm just saying things sometimes stop working.

I'm totally ignorant when it comes to computers, but why do desktops seems to last longer than anything comparable? If they made PS3 size of my full size Dell, would it last longer? I guess I'm just wondering if the larger(I could be wrong) parts, larger room inside helps the machine last longer?

I totally understand Robin's frustration, as I'm not happy with my situation either. I think mine lasted almost two & half years, but it has broke down once while it was still under warranty. I have mine high on the wire-shelf, so it stayed cool & everything. Thinking back, mine was a high mile model too though. It was used as my DVD player, Blu-ray player, and on top of that, I was heavily addicted to Call of Duty 4, which logged astronomical hours on it. OK, all the unloading & thinking does make me feel little bit better about my PS3. :D

After looking at the picture of D-N's Slim, I thought it would be smaller!

My comment wasnt aimed directly at you DN but in general. To me its like buying an expensive TV, have it die outside the warranty within a few years and then decide the first thing I'm going to do is buy another product from the exact same manufacturer that has let me down. I find that crazy because although I may like what that manufacturer offers me in terms of functionality there are many other competitors which are more than willing to offer me an alternative device which I may have a better experience with. Giving my money to the same manufacturer would feel as though I'm saying its OK for them continue producing a product at a certain level of quality.

If people had just bought an Xbox 360 when theirs broke outside warranty then MS wouldnt have made any effort to rectify the situation. Another example is Toyota, if everyone had just bought a different car if they felt their car was acting dangerously instead of complaining Toyota would have never made the efforts to improve quality that they are now doing.

I havent had any major electronic device fail on me ever so maybe that why I feel this way. My old Toshiba TV has worked flawlessly for 18 years and if I bought a new LCD TV and it even lasted 5 years I would be very angry. Also I have never had any of my computers (the oldest from 1989) or components fail. I guess people are expected to do a household tech overhaul every 2 years these days!

I was sold on the reliability of the PS2 (both mine have so far lasted 10 years). Although the PS3 was praised for its reliability and quality in the early days looking back now I feel this was premature praise accentuated by the problems the 360 was facing at the time which may have made it look more appealing. The 20,40,60 & 80GB's have many design flaws in both in the internal layout and also the laser assembly and its just a pity that a $600 item it couldnt even meet let alone out do its predecessor on quality.

Poor quality these days is most likely due to lead free solder as DN touched on. I hate that we have to suffer because of the highly unlikely chance that some kid will chew on an MP3 player! They should make everything screwless (like Apple) so that its impossible for a kid to get in to, then we can use lead again.

Basically I get that things break and you have to replace them but I don't get why you have to buy the same product from the same manufacturer.

a6m5
I'm totally ignorant when it comes to computers, but why do desktops seems to last longer than anything comparable? If they made PS3 size of my full size Dell, would it last longer? I guess I'm just wondering if the larger(I could be wrong) parts, larger room inside helps the machine last longer?

Its because of mainly 2 things,

The larger the product the more space it has to allow components to operate at a cooler temperature. All electronic devices produce heat (usually a ton of it) and by having things well spaced out and allowing loads of airflow it can help increase the longevity of the device by a considerable amount. By placing these components very close together in a small form factor its going to reduce lifespan in lew of portability / space saving.

And the second is reason is miniturisation, the smaller you make the components the more problems you will have because it gets very complicated to ensure everything works as it should when your working in nanometers! If you have big components laid out in a way not constrained by space it makes it far easier to produce and also for the end user to live with (like you can swap out loads of components from a desktop PC).

Robin.

Last edited:
Its because of mainly 2 things,

The larger the product the more space it has to allow components to operate at a cooler temperature. All electronic devices produce heat (usually a ton of it) and by having things well spaced out and allowing loads of airflow it can help increase the longevity of the device by a considerable amount. By placing these components very close together in a small form factor its going to reduce lifespan in lew of portability / space saving.

And the second is reason is miniturisation, the smaller you make the components the more problems you will have because it gets very complicated to ensure everything works as it should when your working in nanometers! If you have big components laid out in a way not constrained by space it makes it far easier to produce and also for the end user to live with (like you can swap out loads of components from a desktop PC).

Robin.
That's what I was getting at. If this was true, I'd take that over the regular PS3 or Slim. Even if other kids laughed at me!

I totally understand Robin's frustration, as I'm not happy with my situation either. I think mine lasted almost two & half years, but it has broke down once while it was still under warranty. I have mine high on the wire-shelf, so it stayed cool & everything. Thinking back, mine was a high mile model too though. It was used as my DVD player, Blu-ray player, and on top of that, I was heavily addicted to Call of Duty 4, which logged astronomical hours on it. OK, all the unloading & thinking does make me feel little bit better about my PS3. :D

After looking at the picture of D-N's Slim, I thought it would be smaller!

Things are cramped into smaller spaces so airflow and cooling suffer. That would be my best guess. With desktops you have fans in the case, you have a CPU cooler+fan, video card with a cooler and fan. Drives are placed away from the board. With the ps3 as you see int he vids, you have one big fan and heatsinks that are nowhere as meaty as even the cheapest CPU/GPU coolers.

Things are cramped into smaller spaces so airflow and cooling suffer. That would be my best guess. With desktops you have fans in the case, you have a CPU cooler+fan, video card with a cooler and fan. Drives are placed away from the board. With the ps3 as you see int he vids, you have one big fan and heatsinks that are nowhere as meaty as even the cheapest CPU/GPU coolers.

Just say, "Better air flow." ;)

Awesome purchase on the new, NEW Slim PS3 model, DN. I just wish my FAT PS3 lasted up until now, because I want the newer Slim PS3. Less power and less heat.

If I were you, I'd store the FAT 60GB PS3, with its original drive, and save it for the future. I think it will be a collectors item. Think how these things still command a premium price over all the other PS3s. Unless, you got other plans for it, already.

Back