My grumble thread for FH4

I'm experiencing far less pronounced rubberbanding in FH4 than I did in FH3. Also keep in mind that opponent cars are balanced to match the performance index rating of the player's car. Sometimes this rating can be higher on AI cars than it is on your own car, which could explain why you are being overtaken by cars you normally wouldn't expect to be faster.
I'm inclined to believe that there really isn't rubber banding(maybe a little), but what I noticed is that it seems to give them ridiculous speed ratings, but they're still terrible on the corners. It probably favors power when they match the drivatars. On Unbeatable they are a bit faster on the straights, but absolutely terrible on the turns. On 15 lap races They're practically 1/2 - 3/4 of a lap back.

I have moved this to grumbles! I love the game and all Forzas & Horizons so these are only some little niggles that have appeared over the first week or so and I have a few question marks over some of their design choices this time around and I thought this was the best thread.

I agree that on the fourth edition of the same game the majority of players have played 1-3 before so do we need to be told everything again for many hours at the start (without an option for turning off at least) For new players it only needs a question at the start. New to Horizon? Start this way! The rest jump straight in to the map!

All Races are now 'Completed' with a gold trophy even if I did not make the top 3. I like the Bronze Silver and Gold awards for Top 3 Places. This would have extended my enthusiasm to go back to each race. Initially I was flooded with icons but when you filter the map to 'New' it now looks complete within a week and I just find I am driving about increasing my levels and taking photos (nothing new there)! But as I mainly play offline I am not in to grinding for Forzathon Weekly (millions skill points) I just want to race or drive in the day time if I choose :irked:

Seasons and Weather- I can see why they are doing this weekly alongside the Forzathon & DLC X2 Cars, but apart from the Blue Print Races I have no choice to change the time of day driving around (It gets dark far too quick) as if you pause for 5-10 mins on Photo mode the lighting has changed for the next photo! It might be me but I don't remember FH2/3 being dark so quick every time I came out of Photo Mode. I'm struggling to maintain a sharp focus on the car/number plate with shutter speed on this time. (I guess they have done this for realistic panning shots) but I would like the option to 'blur' myself rather than not focus at all for some shots.

Characters & Dancing Emotes.. Mmmm I think I am getting older .. A great one off gimmick but I think they have taken this too far with all the clothing, silly dancing etc As far as I am aware most male drivers in the UK 25+ don't wear tights or skinny jeans, no socks and slippers while walking about. (I for one would not get them on or off!) :lol: and I feel a few more choices for people not in their teens would have been a good idea. We are also in the UK! Where are the UK dudes with brown hair/ginger hair/bald hair with no option for beards!! or Girls with tattoos and all year round tans even in the winter seasons! :)

None of the above are detrimental to the brilliant game and amount of work that has gone in to it and are only design choices of the target market they are going for (they must have the data that millions of Horzion players are younger) but I feel they are forgetting about everyone else. NFS Payback/The Crew2 latest editions also have also fallen for this and put me off playing. There are quite a few in their late 20's - 50's + that still play Arcade (ish) racing games and want to play 'old school' or offline or make their own choices from the start and I feel Drive Club got this right and I felt this game was for any age.👍

Maybe I am just getting older :yuck:

Last edited:
Here are mine:

1) no custom championships
2) no Blueprints (or another way to create a custom event and choose the soundtrack for it
3) no ability to teleport to your selected house for free (makes houses ABSOLUTELY worthless other than for the fun of having them)
4) can’t teleport to danger signs, drift zones etc (instead have to see the stupid leaderboard...)

5) it is absolutely annoying that all drift zones, speed zones, speed traps etc but also the Worlds Fastest, LaRacer, etc are not created individually per season. I absolutely like the snow and winter atmosphere in the game but the fact is I am completely blocked trying to 3 star these events until it is summer again. Those formula drift cars were awesome in summer, they are complete crap in the snow and I honestly CBA to find other ways to get 3 stars now when in summer it’s so easy. IMO all those events and business’es should be in quadruple, one for each season.

Last edited:
Great game apart from the stupid time cycling, ruins it, go to take a photo when it`s nice and sunny, couple of minutes later you come out and its dark...madness..:banghead: Nearly going in the bin because of this, why can`t we choose what we want...

Nearly going in the bin because of this
Steady on... :lol:

Onto my latest gripe and perhaps custom (i.e. non-seasonal) championships aren't a thing yet because they have yet to work out all the bugs. It's hard to win when your opponents have two cars in the race both contributing to their scores.

Championship bug.jpg

Steady on... :lol:

Onto my latest gripe and perhaps custom (i.e. non-seasonal) championships aren't a thing yet because they have yet to work out all the bugs. It's hard to win when your opponents have two cars in the race both contributing to their scores.

View attachment 773529

Did you by chance change the difficulty after loading the event?

Grumble of the day:

It is absolutely annoying having to manually “search and destroy” the dozens of duplicate cars from wheelspins in my garage. If PG doesn’t want to allow us to get credits for the duplicates anymore, by all means at least allow us to destroy them at the wheelspin itself.

Because I spend lots of time in photomode:
Not being able to turn off/on the headlights at will. Makes taking photos from the front a bit difficult at times.
Motion blur no longer keeps the quality of the vehicle in focus - Forza 7 had it so no matter how much motion blur you applied, the car would not lose quality because of it.
Photomode being removed from the pause menu, and if you press your brakes for some illumination they don't stick when you go in photomode with the hotkey.

Wish I had read this earlier... have you been taking your photos in an online session? Try playing solo, it should work then.

Wish I had read this earlier... have you been taking your photos in an online session? Try playing solo, it should work then.
I think so since it always just automatically connects me, but I'll try this out later. Thanks!

Must admit, this is the first Horizon where I literally don't like (or at least ambivalent towards) any of the music in it.
Agree, and I haven't figured out how to turn the music off entirely either. You can turn the music volume down to 1, but not off completely. And even when you have the radio itself off, the music will still play during the race start/ finish and during sections of the race. Very, very annoying.

I honestly don't mind it when going past the start line in races or around the festival, since it's not that obtrusive, and I wouldn't mind it playing during the start/finish/rewards screens. The problem with the latter is that they use the same four song samples on a short loop and it gets very old, very quickly. I usually listen to my iPod when racing so it's not that bad, but an option to just shut music off completely would be preferred.

I honestly don't mind it when going past the start line in races or around the festival, since it's not that obtrusive, and I wouldn't mind it playing during the start/finish/rewards screens. The problem with the latter is that they use the same four song samples on a short loop and it gets very old, very quickly. I usually listen to my iPod when racing so it's not that bad, but an option to just shut music off completely would be preferred.

-Same as FH3, but there are only like 3-4 songs that play when you enter a race (before starting the race) and after the race so it's extremely repetitive.

-Related to the last grumble, those 3-4 songs will play at various points during a race (where the spectators are) even if you have the radio off. So you will learn to hate those 3-4 songs!
I agree, and it was a grumble of mine in a previous post as well. Those 4 song samples will burn into your memory. My workaround is to set the radio to the classical station (the only one I can tolerate) and leave it there at a volume of 1. It's in the background, but at least it's not a loop of 4 terrible songs. :lol:

A personal gripe of mine is that the car rating scale (0 to 10) and PI still do not reflect changes made in tuning.
  • Drivetrain swaps kill the speed rating regardless if car itself is capable of much higher speeds; (6.5 speed rating with a top speed of 270+ MPH).
  • Tuning the aero has no impact on the handling or speed rating, even though the driving characteristics are changed.
  • The rating scale doesn't measure to the highest possible performance standard, leading to many cars having 10's in ratings but performing differently in those specific areas.
  • For example, there are a lot more cars with a 10 in handling, whereas the highest possible handling rating in the previous game was a 9.6 or 9.7.
  • 999 is too low a number for the PI limit, as some X class cars overall perform better than others.
  • PI isn't affected by the tuning menu.

Peeve: If you set up a Private Team Adventure with 12 friends, you get no rewards for the races. No influence, no credits.

I very much enjoy doing the Ranked Team Adventures (I stick to Racing or Anything Goes), and apart from the connecting times and disconnections (and people leaving so their ranking doesn't drop), they're good fun. But not getting anything for racing friends is ridiculous.

A personal gripe of mine is that the car rating scale (0 to 10) and PI still do not reflect changes made in tuning.
  • Drivetrain swaps kill the speed rating regardless if car itself is capable of much higher speeds; (6.5 speed rating with a top speed of 270+ MPH).
  • Tuning the aero has no impact on the handling or speed rating, even though the driving characteristics are changed.
  • The rating scale doesn't measure to the highest possible performance standard, leading to many cars having 10's in ratings but performing differently in those specific areas.
  • 999 is too low a number for the PI limit, as X class cars do vary wildly in performance.
  • PI isn't affected by the tuning menu.
I don't think I've ever seen a car be able to achieve 270 with such low rating. From the cars I've seen over multiple games, they seem a bit more accurate than that. As for tuning the aero, I think applying the part gives you the best possible stat outcome for those specific areas.

I for one don't think PI should be affected by tuning because I don't feel the changes would be massive enough to warrant the difference, unless you absolutely botch the set up and destroy the car like changing your gear ratios from a 6 speed to one really long gear lol.

I haven't really felt the need to complain about anything until now - Flag Rush in Team Adventure just feels so uncomfortable to play now. They've got rid of the moving zones so the ideal way for the opposing team to play is by:

a) Camping at the Flag spawn point, or
b) Camping at the drop zone

Is the defending team supposed to be hogging the zones? Personally, I feel both are horrendously cheap ways to play, especially the former.

Though I'm not gonna lie, denying multiple flags instantly felt satisfying.

My main grumble for the PI system, is that the difference in PI doesn't really translate to higher PI ratings.
For example, a racing brake kit might add 7 PI at 550PI (557pi), but at 790PI the same kit adds the same, or even less PI.

So basically, tuning for 800 or 900 PI usually means always getting every drivetrain and chassis upgrade automatically, unless you're foolish enough to take 12HP over full racing brakes, suspension and gearbox.

Logically it should be the opposite, if anything. Higher PI = higher penalty for customizable racing parts.

My main grumble for the PI system, is that the difference in PI doesn't really translate to higher PI ratings.
For example, a racing brake kit might add 7 PI at 550PI (557pi), but at 790PI the same kit adds the same, or even less PI.

So basically, tuning for 800 or 900 PI usually means always getting every drivetrain and chassis upgrade automatically, unless you're foolish enough to take 12HP over full racing brakes, suspension and gearbox.

Logically it should be the opposite, if anything. Higher PI = higher penalty for customizable racing parts.
That's not consistent for every vehicle though. I have some cars that adding the transmission on an A800 car bumped it up to S824(or maybe S814, I can't recall exactly.) Then there's some cars that adding the mid-level transmission actually lowers your PI even though all the stats get bumped.

My peeves so far (after about 48 hours of play):

- Winter is starting to drag, but I have been off sick from work the past two days so I have been no-lifing it, I guess they didn't expect people to play this much in a week. I can't see any benefits to it apart from the fact that it makes offroad vehicles much more useful.

- Having to go somewhere specific to buy cars and tuning parts; if they got rid of the car delivery cost from FH3, why not let you access a car shop and tuning menu?

- A few bugs I've seen include connection weirdness where I can join to most of my friends except for one, an error starting World's Fastest in co-op where one player got stuck in a loading screen and the other two were stuck in the cutscene and I've finished The Marathon twice, once co-op once solo, but it doesn't show as being complete and I don't think the influence it said I got actually counted.

- The FE bonuses aren't described all that well, are they all 20%? The Reventón and GTLM do each give 20% bonuses to cash and influence, I know that much at least.

- Speaking of, there don't seem to be that many FEs, I don't have that many to collect and I've only bought the Aventador.

Nothing but women's clothing in the wheel spins. Or for folks that identify of having no gender? Have a clothing store and let us do the shopping. Want more options for normal people then you have to keep doing those slot machines. I just got a baby blue kids watch. Is that a trend now? Adults wearing children's clothing and accessories?

The characters are lame looking. Why are they high or zoned out. Straight up soytified. NONE of them look cool. Add the children's clothing to that you got yourself a winner right there.

What is with the participation trophies on the icons? People don't want to see what place they are at so they can first it later?

Why is the announcer talking to us like we are toddlers? Just talk to us like a grown man or woman.

Their decision to choose what cars get spacers or custom treatment and others don't. These guys are still disconnected with the car culture. Sadly no surprise here.

Other things like online, sounds, progression, economy, seasons, etc...that needs to be worked on. Many are very obvious and makes you think why it was released this way.

I understand their focus is 12yr olds but this team is making a mistake letting them lead the way or having outside influences invade a racing game.

Is it me, or does the traffic seem to be particularly out to get you this time around? I don't remember road traffic being this deliberate in regards to turning right into you or blocking the road in the previous games.

I have moved this to grumbles! I love the game and all Forzas & Horizons so these are only some little niggles that have appeared over the first week or so and I have a few question marks over some of their design choices this time around and I thought this was the best thread.

I agree that on the fourth edition of the same game the majority of players have played 1-3 before so do we need to be told everything again for many hours at the start (without an option for turning off at least) For new players it only needs a question at the start. New to Horizon? Start this way! The rest jump straight in to the map!

All Races are now 'Completed' with a gold trophy even if I did not make the top 3. I like the Bronze Silver and Gold awards for Top 3 Places. This would have extended my enthusiasm to go back to each race. Initially I was flooded with icons but when you filter the map to 'New' it now looks complete within a week and I just find I am driving about increasing my levels and taking photos (nothing new there)! But as I mainly play offline I am not in to grinding for Forzathon Weekly (millions skill points) I just want to race or drive in the day time if I choose :irked:

Seasons and Weather- I can see why they are doing this weekly alongside the Forzathon & DLC X2 Cars, but apart from the Blue Print Races I have no choice to change the time of day driving around (It gets dark far too quick) as if you pause for 5-10 mins on Photo mode the lighting has changed for the next photo! It might be me but I don't remember FH2/3 being dark so quick every time I came out of Photo Mode. I'm struggling to maintain a sharp focus on the car/number plate with shutter speed on this time. (I guess they have done this for realistic panning shots) but I would like the option to 'blur' myself rather than not focus at all for some shots.

Characters & Dancing Emotes.. Mmmm I think I am getting older .. A great one off gimmick but I think they have taken this too far with all the clothing, silly dancing etc As far as I am aware most male drivers in the UK 25+ don't wear tights or skinny jeans, no socks and slippers while walking about. (I for one would not get them on or off!) :lol: and I feel a few more choices for people not in their teens would have been a good idea. We are also in the UK! Where are the UK dudes with brown hair/ginger hair/bald hair with no option for beards!! or Girls with tattoos and all year round tans even in the winter seasons! :)

None of the above are detrimental to the brilliant game and amount of work that has gone in to it and are only design choices of the target market they are going for (they must have the data that millions of Horzion players are younger) but I feel they are forgetting about everyone else. NFS Payback/The Crew2 latest editions also have also fallen for this and put me off playing. There are quite a few in their late 20's - 50's + that still play Arcade (ish) racing games and want to play 'old school' or offline or make their own choices from the start and I feel Drive Club got this right and I felt this game was for any age.👍

Maybe I am just getting older :yuck:

Personally, I think maybe they should have made the "common" clothing and emote items all available and unlocked for everyone by default. Getting the chicken suit or a cool dance can be fun... but getting "Navy Blue T-Shirt" or "Red Mittens" in a Super Wheelspin? Less so.

And they definitely need to add more avatar options. I get the feeling these will probably come though. That, or let us adjust the avatars on a more granular basis ourselves (probably less likely).

And I'm 100% with you on the race progression not seeming to care or even indicate if you've won a race. I get that they are trying to make things more relaxed for the ultra-casual player, and less focused on making sure you WIN everything, but it should give some sort of indication as to which races you've won.

Overall I've loved my time with the game a LOT, but there's definitely a lot of work they can still do to make it better, if they are up for it.

Is it me, or does the traffic seem to be particularly out to get you this time around? I don't remember road traffic being this deliberate in regards to turning right into you or blocking the road in the previous games.

I've not noticed anything about the traffic, aside from some weird maneuvers around the highway tunnel.

In races, I've noticed the AI will sometimes block or turn into me. It usually happens just enough to keep things interesting without becoming repetitive. In regular traffic, the main thing I've noticed is the U-turns outside the tunnels.

Back