My Journey: 2013 US GT Academy Champion

• Thread starter GumballCGT
  • 330 comments
Hi Nick! First of all congrats for what you have achieved :)

I was also at race camp this year but didn't make it the whole way, but I'm still interested to improve my driving. When I drove the 370z I always tried to be as close to the limit as possible (where the tires starts to scream) cause I have always thought that is the fastest way around a corner. I would appreciate if you could tell more about "settle the car" before corner as you have written in the text before (highlighted).

Might have something to do with tyre slip angle and dynamic weight transfer. That's my two cents anyway.

Filip how far did you get in race camp? I'm surprised to hear that the instructors don't talk to the finalists about the driving theories above...

Might have something to do with tyre slip angle and dynamic weight transfer. That's my two cents anyway.

Filip how far did you get in race camp? I'm surprised to hear that the instructors don't talk to the finalists about the driving theories above...
Okidoki, I have to wait to see what Nick says about it.

I finished 3rd in the final race, was not used to wet driving and steam all over the window didn't help either. One time they did say to me to be slower before entering corner during our telemetry test. Of course we did a little theory but that was just basic, I like to go into the deep to understand why someone is faster :)

Okidoki, I have to wait to see what Nick says about it.

I finished 3rd in the final race, was not used to wet driving and steam all over the window didn't help either. One time they did say to me to be slower before entering corner during our telemetry test. Of course we did a little theory but that was just basic, I like to go into the deep to understand why someone is faster :)

Yeah it caught me a little off-guard to find out they don't do that much theory at race camp. I suppose they can't fit too much into the week and/or there's more to be learnt from driving the Nissans.

In your guys' references to "settling the car" and the fastest way around a corner I'll try to explain it as best I can. During my time at race camp I started off with the usual "brake late" theory but I really learned this theory is quite false especially come the telemetry challenge they never showed on TV. I watched the benchmark lap set by one of our instructors and noticed he was braking 10ft to maybe even 20ft earlier than me yet I was way slower in the overall lap. I was told to brake earlier but then you can control the car into the corner and put it exactly where you want to. Sure enough I went out and moved my braking points back a little bit and was a whole 1.1 seconds faster.

Why might this be? Well, from what I've found you can get the exact speed you want through a corner and know exactly how the car is going to act. Most people enter with too much speed and hope they can get the car through the corner and fight it the whole way. Not the most consistent approach either. The "slower" approach allows you to get a better entry and sometimes carry more speed through a corner. Plus, you can usually get on the throttle sooner since you have a better exit angle. Thus, carrying more speed where it counts.

To getting as close the limit as possible...yes, the tire squealing can be the approach as far as the "limit" but this I've found is also not the fastest way. The best example I can think of is trying to push a car with the wheels straight. Pretty easy right? Now turn them as far as you can to the left or right and try to push the car. Much more difficult this time. Now imagine you as the engine trying to push the car forward. The less the wheels are turned the less effort there is on the engine. Essentially you are freeing up speed and allowing the car to accelerate better and move forward due to less load. Overall this is faster. You basically want to use the least amount of steering angle you can to get around a corner so I wouldn't say squeal is the best way to read into the limit. Hopefully this all makes sense!

Yes, that made perfect sense to me as well. Thanks for explaining it so clearly. It also helps that you've got real-life experiences that back up what you're saying (not that I wouldn't believe you otherwise :sly:).

In your guys' references to "settling the car" and the fastest way around a corner I'll try to explain it as best I can. During my time at race camp I started off with the usual "brake late" theory but I really learned this theory is quite false especially come the telemetry challenge they never showed on TV. I watched the benchmark lap set by one of our instructors and noticed he was braking 10ft to maybe even 20ft earlier than me yet I was way slower in the overall lap. I was told to brake earlier but then you can control the car into the corner and put it exactly where you want to. Sure enough I went out and moved my braking points back a little bit and was a whole 1.1 seconds faster.

Why might this be? Well, from what I've found you can get the exact speed you want through a corner and know exactly how the car is going to act. Most people enter with too much speed and hope they can get the car through the corner and fight it the whole way. Not the most consistent approach either. The "slower" approach allows you to get a better entry and sometimes carry more speed through a corner. Plus, you can usually get on the throttle sooner since you have a better exit angle. Thus, carrying more speed where it counts.

To getting as close the limit as possible...yes, the tire squealing can be the approach as far as the "limit" but this I've found is also not the fastest way. The best example I can think of is trying to push a car with the wheels straight. Pretty easy right? Now turn them as far as you can to the left or right and try to push the car. Much more difficult this time. Now imagine you as the engine trying to push the car forward. The less the wheels are turned the less effort there is on the engine. Essentially you are freeing up speed and allowing the car to accelerate better and move forward due to less load. Overall this is faster. You basically want to use the least amount of steering angle you can to get around a corner so I wouldn't say squeal is the best way to read into the limit. Hopefully this all makes sense!
Thanks for sharing this. I have a question. How well does this translate into GT when you are trying to set a lap time like you did to make it to the Academy? Does it make you faster or slower? I am very aware that real life and virtual are very different so really just curious and not trying to figure out how to make the Academy.

a very good tip,of course we've all heard this before but now that I've heard it from you I'm going to try it

Great response, Gumball.

It looks like Dubai is 11 days from now. When, or where, does the team reassemble? What sort of prep do you and the other drivers do regarding the course? Is a usual 'shift' for drivers in a 24 hour race a full tank of fuel?

It appears that there is a huge variance between the classes on the racecourse - did you get much experience or training at Race Camp about passing groups of Civics or Golfs in that 370z? That part of multiple classes passing one another seems fraught with risks for both the overtaking class and the packs of slower classes fighting for their own class podium.

Nick, watching your laps on page 1 makes me want to get out on the track so much more...I miss lapping already, but the sounds just make it harder to bear not being spring yet! :P

Re: settling the car, I think it's called letting it take a set, essentially allowing all of the weight to transfer around the car before getting deep into the corner, thereby keeping the car still thru the apex. It's why when you're in a street car, mid-corner and hit the turtles, the car gets squirrley, because the suspension is no longer set - you've knocked springs around, and unset it. Need to stay off 'em unless you're in a super stiff chassis/suspension car.

braking slowly earlier also allows you to trail brake easier into the corner, and keeps some of the heat out of your brakes allowing them to last longer, and not boil.

if you haven't yet, get this book and read it. It's really really good -- a very easy read, and amazing information.

Very well explained, and this is why alot of people complain about MR cars on GT6.
I think GT6 rewards this kind of driving, if you brake a little earlier and keep the car composed, usualy you can get on the gas even before the apex and do all the corner exit accelerating.

Please do keep posting mr gumball. Very interested to see all the little details. Especially all the stuff that is more unique to the GT Academy. It's awesome that you're still active in the forums even after becoming a superstar of sorts.

Happy New Year Nick! Looks like it will be an awesome one for you. :cheers:

Thank you for your excellent explanation of 'settling the car'. I've been using your advise on my GTP qualifier and it's been a revelation for my speed and consistency. All to often when I'm pushing myself to go faster I go too deep into the corner and turn the wheel too far, plowing the fronts and having to rely on quick reflexes to 'save it'. I try to be smooth and precise with the controls, but instinct often takes over. Slow to go fast. You explain things very well, hearing this technique from you it now makes more sense. I recall watching alien's replays and noticing how small the steering wheel inputs were, how smooth the braking was. I too am an avid motorcyclist and easing into a corner is definitely the only way, proper weight transfer being crucial. I've been right on the bubble to get to Nationals every year so far, and now I think next year I might finally make it. Thanks again for sharing your insights with us, I look forward to more advise from you.

I'm so excited for you and all the Nismo Athletes. The level Y'all get to compete in is just so awesome, FIA GT3 is no joke! The program Nissan has set up is just so much money to trust to 'Gamers', and you guys are justifying all of it.

Best of luck to you in Dubai, I'm confident you'll do very well for the team. Looking forward to hearing your insider perspective on this and on the rest of your racing this year. Godspeed.

Last edited:
Congrats Nick on winning US GT Academy 2013! Is there a chance we will see you rce the Rolex 24 at DAYTONA in a few weeks, I also wish you good luck in the Dubai 24!

Bit of a shallow question, but what's the pay for being a Nissan driver?

Also, congrats.

The prize for GT Academy is a $0 ride. Expenses and training are covered but you don't get a salary.
If you get re-hired for more years? Guess we'd have to ask Lucas.

I had a different question - what are the accommodations and food like for the team?

From a low end Abu-Dhabi Motel Six and Baloney & Cheese subs, or up at the high end, schwanky food and great hotels?

Do you get a rental car, or driven around in a bus from hotel to track?

I had a different question - what are the accommodations and food like for the team?

From a low end Abu-Dhabi Motel Six and Baloney & Cheese subs, or up at the high end, schwanky food and great hotels?

Do you get a rental car, or driven around in a bus from hotel to track?
I'm gonna guess that they won't be serving baloney in Dubai...maybe turkey baloney? Lol.

How do you feel like you compare to your European team mates? From what I understand, Europe generally has a much larger racing scene, and some of those guys were posting wicked quick times on the time trial.

The prize for GT Academy is a $0 ride. Expenses and training are covered but you don't get a salary.
If you get re-hired for more years? Guess we'd have to ask Lucas.
Wow, that's a bit disappointing. You would think they would at least give you something to you live off of.

Wow, that's a bit disappointing. You would think they would at least give you something to you live off of.

Well, they are... food, housing, training, some pocket change. They're just your Daddy. Was kind of a bummer that they don't tell you that until you get to Silverstone... but it's still a fantastic opportunity for those that can do it. At Nick's age he was the perfect candidate, he's basically on a full scholarship at racing college living in campus housing with the other winners. This is a program for building racing drivers, it's a world class education, not a talent search. When you look at it that way you can see how in many ways they got the right man this year. Skilled, personable, young, and able to drop everything to chase the dream. 👍

Back