My New 1996 Mx-5 Miata - 2017 Dixie Championship Tour

@carracerptp- excellent result mate! Its pretty cool that they let you guys hoon around somewhere like that, If those walls could talk...

Hopefully they let you back, are they talking about making it caged cars only?

@carracerptp- excellent result mate! Its pretty cool that they let you guys hoon around somewhere like that, If those walls could talk...

Hopefully they let you back, are they talking about making it caged cars only?

Nothing official but caged cars only have been mentioned between competitors. I was just amazed the event was insured with safety regs that it had. So if the insurance is still "ok" with it thoses of us in non-caged cars still have a chance.

I haven't driven on my Z2 tires in a few events and I had forgotten how much more grip they have!

My best run was a little over a second faster than this run. Unfortunately the camera had fallen off the car the run before. It was my best run yet. I won my class by over 2 seconds I was 4th overall out of 103 cars. The only cars faster where're a Porsche GT3 and 2 cars on hoosier racing slicks ( one was a formula vee ). By far this car's best finish.

IMG_5401.jpg

Besides not having video of the run my other bad news in I picked this up leaving the event.

tire.jpg

Thankfully it may not have even made it all the way through the tire. It's still holding air fine.

Had another couple of fun events. My driving terrible in the first video ( enduro event ) it but was fun. Using reverse isn't correct for autocross.

For the last event my driving is better but the camera wasn't mounted level :lol:

After missing an event because of health reasons I finally got back into last weekend. Unfortunately I lost some pace because of mistakes but it was a great battle for first in my class ( but I lost :( ).

Also a friend was able to film my boat car. I really do need to get some real shocks and a sway bar.

Also my valve seals are failing so it smokes on throttle lift.

Did another event but this time on a set of free "well used" Rival S 205 tires and some borrowed rims. The Rival S must be an epic tire if they work this great at the end of their life. It was a very small event but it was fun, I didn't bother if an in-car camera but I did setup a static camera to catch some action.

Not one of my better runs

Did another event but this time on a set of free "well used" Rival S 205 tires and some borrowed rims. The Rival S must be an epic tire if they work this great at the end of their life. It was a very small event but it was fun, I didn't bother if an in-car camera but I did setup a static camera to catch some action.

Not one of my better runs

That is a ton of body roll. Still running stock suspension?

I decided I would try something a little different this last weekend and do an autocross event on Saturday with one club and another event with a different club on the other side of the state on Sunday.

The weekend started at the airport, 6:30 in the morning setting up the course ( I'm the temp "setup" guy now ).

IMG_9799.jpg

I was given a set of Rival S tires and borrowed the rims to compete at both events this weekend. I have never had so much grip in this car. My best time was good for first in class with a 1.7 lead over 2nd.

I felt like I had a good chance for a podium on Sun as well! ...But... then a friend pointed something very important out. My left front was corded tire. So I was back to my 8in rims stuck in STR with dead tires for Sunday.

On Sunday it was off to Daytona International Speedway to race in the parking lot :P Honestly a very boring 2.75 hour drive across the state.

IMG_0636.jpg

The course was big, fast, bumpy, and slippery. I saw a BMW skip 3 tires off the ground after getting off line and hitting a bump just right.

IMG_1147.jpg

The course was fun but I got destroyed. I finished last in class. It was a combination of my lack of skill, tires that have lost grip, and fact my car ( a stock NA ) just can't keep up with a field of lightly modded NC miatas, an ND Miata, and lightly modded Honda S2Ks.

My last event on my Star Specs for a bit. New tires should be coming soon. Still, when I can get them to stick they sorta still work.

And now for the onboard.

Unfortunately I hit a cone out of the box on this run so I didn't win my class.

IMG_3407.jpg

I haven't taken my car out for a "fun" drive in way too long. So I met up with some friends and new friends that had a group drive planned ending with lunch.

IMG_3401.jpg

We had 2 groups and covered some ground in inland florida. I now have a couple new favorite driving roads! Unfortunately no pictures of them as I was... well driving :D

IMG_3411.jpg

It was a blast but even my dead Star Spec tires had more grip than I needed. I wish I had tossed on a set of good all-season tires. The pace was spirited but safe so a little less tire would have given my car a more lively feel.

IMG_3426.jpg

The food at the end was EPIC! I need to start doing more fun stuff again.

IMG_5291.jpg

Well another season in the book for this car. I won my class for last event but was unable to grab the championship as the pointer leader had to finish 3rd or worse for me to overtake him. I did get 2nd in the championship so I can't be that disappointed.

This was my best run from the event ( 33.414 ), good for 1st out of 10 in class and 7th out of 99 overall. I was running lower tire pressures and trying to be smoother than I normally am at this event site. I should have had a 32.9 but again I just can't get everything in one run.

At the 0:22 mark you can see just how much crazy grip the RE-71Rs have. It's a bit of a tricky tire to trust at the grip limits ( peaky grip curve ) but they live up to the "Hoosierstones" nickname when it all works right.

Always love seeing these things getting leaned on. Nice driving.
I think I need to really admit to myself that my car isn't going to get much faster untill I get some real shocks and swaybars under it.

Also I have been contemplating getting another car. Something with a real roof that seats 4 and has more power...

IMG_6060.jpg

Did another event with the local SCCA club. It was a bit of a drive over so I had to "carry" my race rubber. I don't like doing tire changes on cars at the event in the summer but it was a very nice day. All was going fine until my torque broke in many pieces. I was able to borrow one and continue on. After the drivers side was done I moved to the pinch weld on the passenger side only to find my jack has now given up the will to lift the car. Good thing autocrossers are a nice bunch of people. One more borrowed tool later and I was ready to run.

IMG_6076.jpg

I'm still stuck in STR because of my wheels being 8in wide ( the fix is on the way ) so I came home 4th. Still the course was a blast. Unfortunately my run group was one of the 2 out of 4 that got rain.

IMG_7590.jpg

After 2 seasons on "bad" shocks, 2 days before the first event of this season I got these installed.

KONI_FAST.jpg

After messing with the rebound settings I finally got it how I wanted for the street and what an improvement. It still has body roll but it no longer flops over instantly. It's smooth and controlled.

IMG_7584.jpg

I had 8 cars in class to race with. The biggest shock I found was on my first and second run the car had a push problem. At first I thought it was the car and I just wasted money on new shocks to go "faster" only to have less grip. Then I realized I was still driving using the "technique" I used with the blown shocks to keep the car pointed straight. On my 3rd run I treated it like I was driving someone else's car, much better. After that I softened it up a bit in the front and a lot in the rear. I finished with a time I'm happy with and won my class. 5th out of 86 raw time ( 3rd fastest on street tires ).

Now I need an alignment and a few more tweaks to be ready for the state championship this year!

IMG_7628.jpg

Is it just me or do I post about new tires a lot?
IMG_7895_low.jpg

I now have a new set of autocross wheels and daily wheels and tires.

I actually now have 2 completes set of 15X6 ( dailys and autocross ), 2 complete sets of 14.5.5 ( old dailys and autocross). 1 set of 15X8 rims, 1 set of 205/50/15 tires, and 1 set of 195/not sure/14s. So in total I could make 5 complete sets of wheels and tires and still have 4 extra tires... I think I have a problem.

OK, this might come as a surprise but this post is about wheels and tires again...

So it turns out my new autocross wheels are bent, not slightly bent but bent so bad you can visually see them wobble from over 100 ft away. I tried to autocross on them but the car was comically bad. It felt like the shocks blew and I had dynamic rear toe.

The next day after the event I was talking to one of my customers at the store about my car. I mentioned the fact my "new" wheels are horribly bent and as luck would have it he had a set sitting in his garage! And even more surprising he let me have them for free! What a great guy. The owner community is so great with this car. I just wish I gave back more frequently.

After some fiddling I now have yet another set of 15X6 but this time they are balanced and the car no longer feels like it has 3 loose wheels and pogo sticks in the corners.

low.jpg

So my first run on the "good" rims was meh. My co-driver didn't seem to have a problem but I was fighting the car all day. It was the first time I didn't enjoy driving my car. The car just felt random and very unbalanced. It still had a "dynamic rear toe" feeling.

IMG_7924.jpg

So I took it to get aligned and what do know, the alignments bolt are barely hand tight. So I actually DID have dynamic rear toe. With all that fixed the car now feels fun to drive again.

IMG_8961.jpg

My next event was at Sebring, great site and with the SCCA and finally in ES class. I hit a cone on the run that would have won my class but it was still a good day.

Later that week I was an instructor at the annual autocross school my club holds, I had the most fun teaching people on the skid pad. During lunch the instructors got to use the practice elements. I didn't plan on doing much driving so was only on my 195 street tires. I had forgotten just how incredible RE71Rs are, I felt like I was on ice :lol: Still I got some slalom practice in.

Update:
So I had one more event before states, it was a points event with my local club. The course was fast and fun but I really wish I had more HP. It was a power course and I just didn't have the speed. Ended up with 2nd by [-]0.081.

Then it was off to the State Championship:

IMG_9231.jpg

The course was very challenging and really punished mistakes. I wouldn't call it a "power" course more like a torque course. You had to keep your speed up but it had a few slow sections you needed to "dig" out of.

By best run was still very messy. Not making the most out of my car but I'm still happy with the time.

IMG_9259.jpg

It wasn't perfect but it was good enough for the win :D ( 1st in ES, 18th in PAX)

I started to consider a new way to run my car. I have an open differential that just loves to unload any chance it gets so I normally run the rear soft as I dare with shocks and tire pressure. I decided to try something different at the next event.

So 6 days later I was at another event. This time I basically ran 34 to 36 PSI in the tire and stiffer rear shocks. It seemed I could save so much time on corner entry that my car was actually faster! I hit a bunch of cones but I was definitely liking the car more. Won my class and was 4th overall raw time ( out of 31). Great course for small event.

The next day I was at the last autocross of the season the local SCCA region.

IMG_9648.jpg

A lot more people and a VERY sandy runway.

IMG_9659.jpg

I have never raced at this site and I must say it's a blast. The fastest way around the course is almost sideways. The new setup really liked the course and the 3rd gear finish was incredible.

15111112_1188959327859347_5702554620659717283_o.jpg

I won my class and finished 14th overall out of 106 and 3rd in PAX. My last run would have been good for 10th overall and 2nd in PAX but some cones had other plans.

15110846_1188959444526002_1210570643556114956_o.jpg

The bad new of the weekend was my GoPro camera mount broke and most regrettably my cars AC is busted and leaking.

I have been doing a lot of events locally but finally decided to venture out of the state and play with the fast guys.

IMG_5773.jpg

I now can say I have competed in a proper national event, the "2017 Tire Rack Dixie Championship Tour". It is a 3 day event ( 2 days plus 1 pratice, sign in day ) and I got the chance to race against some of the best in the region and in some cases the best in the country. Over 280 drivers and I was in the second biggest class ( 19 cars ). The event is held at South Georgia Motorsports Park.

IMG_5781.jpg

It actually wasn't much of a drive up, only about 3.75 hours from my house, but in a Miata at highway speeds isn't exactly pleasant.

Made it in time for a few runs on the practice course, I tested to see if my sway bar being disconnected was faster or slower on the surface but just like the local concrete it was definitely faster with it off.

IMG_5865.jpg

Day 1 was a great course, in the right car it would need a 2nd to 1st and 3rd gear change. Rare for most autocross events. I was quickly schooled and found that I was 2 seconds off the pace. on a ~60 second course. That was a real eye opener.

IMG_5867.jpg

I don't think I drove all that badly, I was just not at that national level. Also my NA isn't as fast as an NB Miata or MR2 and I still don't have a front sway bar on the car.

IMG_5863.jpg

I ended up 11th out of 19 on day 1 and still had an outside shot to land on a trophy spot. The day 2 course was looking to be much better for my car.

IMG_5952.jpg

Some friends and I took advantage of the low light pollution to go stargazing that night. I brought all my camera gear so I tried with mixed success to get some pictures.

17504945_1313852632036682_1022503864151886030_o.jpg

Day 2 did not go so well. My first run was all over the place, I just wanted to push the car and find the limit as I felt I was under driving a bit on day 1. Instead I plowed over a cone wall. Then on run 2 I heard a BIG bang and suddenly my car handled like garbage. I looked at the car in grid but everything seemed fine so I took my final run. Nope, everything was not fine! Turns out my front eccentric bolts ( and a few in the rear ) gave up the will to keep tight.

17505308_1313852728703339_7218358065537304698_o.jpg

The car was terrible under braking and turn in was nuts because I had 0 front camber and dynamic toe that changed under braking or cornering.

IMG_6009.jpg

Thankfully this sport is full of nice people so I was able to get help and fix my car enough to limp it back home.

17359385_1356750347751802_7187923519446562646_o.jpg

My last run was a mess but just smooth enough to keep my 11th spot. I felt like I could have done a little better on day if my car had held up a little longer. I put my best runs from both days in a video.

Car is back home and all properly fixed up and given a new alignment. Can't wait for next year, hopefully I'll be back faster and in a better car.

The course was VERY much a power course. HS raw timed ES and nearly caught CS. Sounds a little funny as I say that to imply that HS is now a 'power' class, but....

Well done. Did you get to meet Rife? All interesting things happen when you're within 100yds of that dude haha. And Trasharita. And pet ducks. Autocrossing in the south is funny.

Good to see you out to your first National event. As evident, a lot of the 'experience' with racing is dealing with the stuff that goes wrong during/on the way to events. Refuelling mid-runs because huge sweepers starving the pickup, loosening all pickup point bolts, stuffing the upright, and eyeballing alignments because something came loose is all part of the fun haha. Replacing mufflers that ripped off over frost heaves(not a problem for you), and the occasional late Saturday evening craigslist meetup and a 2AM cylinder head swap are sometimes part of the whole experience haha.

My point is that it's all a learning experience. A lot to do with discovering the event flow. The first couple of events or more it can be overwhelming just knowing where to be at what time, what line to stand in; things like that. It takes a few before most folks get comfortable with the flow, and it can be helpful if you have a friend with more experience to tag along with. As you've discovered, in general the crowd is very friendly and willing to help just about anyone. People losing all their sleep to help get someone else's car together at 2AM, or offerring alternative rides; it's mostly good people.

Anyway, glad you enjoyed it and hope you continue to get out to events.

I'm a bit behind in updates. So, I have started giving dragracing a try. I must say I really like it. It is a completely different challenge than anything else I have ever done. I can finally say I done most forms of grassroots racing. Autocross, Track, Drag and Rally! My car wasn't very good at drag racing though.

My car just got walked 99% of the time. My clutch won't hold 2nd or 1st so that didn't help.

I did have a few good races with my friend in a Chevy Volt.

After giving straight lines I try I'm back to the corners. My clutch was done so I was slow off the line but I could see exactly how slow now! I have a GPS in the car so I can review my laps. I also built my own program to take the files from the app on the phone and give me a more detailed look on my PC.

Also, the car finally made it to the Daytona kart track. Had fun and for the first time won my class on Saturday and Sunday with two different clubs 98 miles apart.

Hello again,
Wow it has been a minute. I just really want to thank GTPlanet and all the staff to keep this place running. Honestly If it wasn't for that all my my memories would have been lost.
I still have the Miata, I have actually had a few of them now. Current car is 2013 NC club. I now have a collection of old school film cameras so of course the photo below was taken with an Canon f-1.

000036.jpg

I unfortunately don't race much any more. Last serious race I did was a rally race in a VW Beetle.

Last edited:
Out of interest, what film did you us for the NC photo in your post? The colours are lovely.

Latest Posts

Back