My New 1996 Mx-5 Miata - 2017 Dixie Championship Tour

United States
United States
carracerptp
side_crop.jpg

I started loving the Miatas in GT4. I remember at first thinking it was a slow useless car, then I realized I practically never had to slow down. I could coast around corners and make back time on the AI. I had fun playing with the difficulty settings in the AI to see how fast a car I could beat. In GT5, stock, it was one of the best handling cars in the game.

Fast forward a few years and I'm looking for a car. I posted a thread here, got some encouragement, and perused Craigslist. Saw a few cars in my price point pop up, but they all seemed to be on the other side of the state and I didn't quite feel confident trying to find the time to get out there and figure out how to get it back.

Then this car popped up. It was at a good price, the owner lived within 15 minutes, and it was the year and engine I wanted. 1996 1.8 160K Miles.

So right now I'm making my laundry list of repairs I need to make. If you guys have any suggestions, that would be great. I'll be doing this work myself.

New belts.

New timing belt (I'll get a kit to help me with this).

New front brake pads.

Fix handbrake.

Fluids (obviously).

Seat covers and replace the left drivers' side door panel.

Maybe some clutch work (any tips in this department would be great).

And tires (I obviously won't be mounting them myself; I'll go to a shop).

Also, for my long-term plan, I eventually want to emulate this build:

http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=530235&page=7

Really happy with the car so far. Can't wait to start burning time into it. And here are the rest of the pictures.
side.jpg rolling_in.jpg 3_4_back.jpg engine.jpg interior.jpgtop.jpg headrest.jpg

Don't forget the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Air filter and cleaning the MAF/MAP (if the car has one) is also a good idea.

And don't just change the fluids, clean and flush all fluids.

If it's fuel injection then clean those too.

Did I miss anything, guys?

It might cost a little more but when buying a used car it's best to bring all the little things up to date at once. Keep a log book with recipes and dates to help you keep maintenance regular. There's several useful apps for that.

Fantastic find. Enjoy! :)

That's awesome bro! Congrats to you. If I ever get a Miata i will buy 2; one to drive and one to race :P

Don't forget the spark plugs and spark plug wires.

Air filter and cleaning the MAF/MAP (if the car has one) is also a good idea.

And don't just change the fluids, clean and flush all fluids.

If it's fuel injection then clean those too.

Did I miss anything, guys?

It might cost a little more but when buying a used car it's best to bring all the little things up to date at once. Keep a log book with recipes and dates to help you keep maintenance regular. There's several useful apps for that.

Fantastic find. Enjoy! :)

Will be dumping all the fluids for sure ( just need to find a pace to get rid of them )

Didn't think about the injectors, thanks.

Congrats on your purchase! Great find too, happy to see your doing some of the repairs yourself, it's fun, less expensive, and you learn lots too.

Got the plates for now so I can finally drive it.

Overall I can't imagine better steering feel. Yes I know I'm just saying that because it's my first car but still. Felt just like in GT6 with a G27 ( not so much the DFGT ) and I didn't need to "adjust" to it. It just worked. Felt like riding a bike. Like in GT6 you really never feel you need to "slow down" for a corner. You just do it to not look reckless.

Speaking of slowing down. It stops but I really feel the need for new brake pads all around.

The engine sounds good. Feels very happy to cruise at low to low-mid speeds (45 MPH ish ). Since that makes up 75% of all the roads I will be driving that's great.

I am a complete beginner when it comes manual transmissions. This was actually my first time ever "driving" a manual car. I didn't have any real problems for the first bit. Thanks to iRacing I already have the movements in muscle memory. Had a standing start from an incline and did all right. By incline I mean if I got off the brakes I would roll back quickly.

And then came another standing start on a lesser incline...
So after I restarted the the engine I was able to get it on the second try. A few corners and light later... I stalled again, this time on the flat... now that was embarrassing.

It seems like I can start it up an incline from a stand still fine but under a certain angle I can't get it. It feels like the clutch just gets bity / sticky. Here's an image of what I mean:

starting.jpg

Still 1st to 2nd is a bit rough ( not much ), 2nd to 3rd is fine and so on.

Nice!

The radiator is starting to brown, I'd look at replacing that too.

Thanks, It seems this may be more of a project can then I figured... seems like stuff keeps poping up. All the more fun for me. Sill I will need hold off of some of the other cosmetic stuff. Wanted to stay under 3K total cost for now.

Congrats on your purchase! Great find too, happy to see your doing some of the repairs yourself, it's fun, less expensive, and you learn lots too.

Thanks. I'm actually doing all the repairs :lol: the clutch will be the big one. I need to start somewhere and this car is very easy to find help, documentation, and advice for. Couldn't think of a better combo.

Out of interest, how much practical experience do you have (on cars)?

Clutch thing could well just be you rather than the clutch seeing as this is your first manual. I'd spend at least a week or two to try and get used to it. Though when you say the clutch gets "sticky" how do you mean? Like the clutch is slipping?

Out of interest, how much practical experience do you have (on cars)?

Clutch thing could well just be you rather than the clutch seeing as this is your first manual. I'd spend at least a week or two to try and get used to it. Though when you say the clutch gets "sticky" how do you mean? Like the clutch is slipping?

"practical experience" None... "experience" none.

I do realize it is 99% all me. And it could be 100%. But when I say sicky I mean when I'm fading off the clutch pedal the clutch feels progressive 90% of the time. Then sometimes it just feels like a switch or binary.

Mechanical reliability is more important than cosmetic stuff. I was fixing problems on my car for over a year before I starting cosmetic things and aftermarket modifications.

Does the "Stickiness" happen more at a certain RPM? Or is it across the RPM range?

Does the "Stickiness" happen when the RPM you're shifting to is farther away from the RPM you're going into?

Mechanical reliability is more important than cosmetic stuff. I was fixing problems on my car for over a year before I starting cosmetic things and aftermarket modifications.

My overall goal is to try and get it running like it was new. I don't have many roads near by where this car needs more HP (maybe 1 or 2 roads).

Does the "Stickiness" happen more at a certain RPM? Or is it across the RPM range?

Does the "Stickiness" happen when the RPM you're shifting to is farther away from the RPM you're going into?

I think it was all at sub 2,000 RPMs, I will go out again and get real numbers 👍

Overall I can't imagine better steering feel.

I can but it requires depowering that rack or going with a factory manual rack, worlds better in my opinion. 👍

2nd gear in both my Miatas is a bit notchy shifting into, more so when it's cold.

"practical experience" None... "experience" none.

I do realize it is 99% all me. And it could be 100%. But when I say sicky I mean when I'm fading off the clutch pedal the clutch feels progressive 90% of the time. Then sometimes it just feels like a switch or binary.

So you'll be using this car as a base on which to learn, sounds good. 👍

I think that's probably just the nature of the diaphragm spring, they have an uneven pressure/deflection characteristic. Hard to say without experiencing it. :)

I got to do some work today ( do busy with my paying job to work on it before ).

Did my first belt change ( starting small ). Alternator and water pump belt, and the power steering and A/C belt. The AC belt needed to be replace ages ago and the alternator belt was also bad.

old_belts.jpg

The front skid plate was a pain to get off. Some bolts were barely hand tight, others felt like an impact wrench had been used. The left side nut broke off with next to no force. So no I need to figure that out.

The bad news is oil, oil and road tar everywhere...

left_front.jpg

I'm 100% sure I need a new valve cover gasket and I may be looking at a head gasket. Is this too much oil for just a valve cover gasket? It's not burning oil ( no smoke ) so I'm not sure what's up.

Most likely a front main seal.
Sorry about my beginner ness but what is a "front main seal"? a crankshaft seal? I'm doing brakes this weekend and pulling the engine apart for this kit next week or the week after. If it's a crank seal than I better do that when I'm doing the timing belt stuff.

Sorry about my beginner ness but what is a "front main seal"? a crankshaft seal? I'm doing brakes this weekend and pulling the engine apart for this kit next week or the week after. If it's a crank seal than I better do that when I'm doing the timing belt stuff.

Indeed, you are correct. The crankshaft seal needs to be replaced with the timing belt. Might as well since you're in there. Both of my cars had leaky seals when purchased. Also check out Flyin Miata's timing belt install tools. I have a set myself, very useful.

Indeed, you are correct. The crankshaft seal needs to be replaced with the timing belt. Might as well since you're in there. Both of my cars had leaky seals when purchased. Also check out Flyin Miata's timing belt install tools. I have a set myself, very useful.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

The radiator is starting to brown, I'd look at replacing that too.

I looked at this when I did the belts. Looks fine also none of the hoses are cracking, dried up etc. I think it will be safe for me to keep using it.

I looked at this when I did the belts. Looks fine also none of the hoses are cracking, dried up etc. I think it will be safe for me to keep using it.

I used mine for awhile too when it was brown. It's just an easy way to tell that the plastic is getting old and could crack.

Don't buy a used car when need a flashlight to see it, you can miss so much :lol:

New problem, fuel filler leak(?).

I gave it its first fill-up recently and it smelled like gas. I originally assumed I drove through some gas, but the smell persisted the next day. So I pulled the carpet out of the trunk and found there was a puddle of gas where the fill stem meets the gas tank. It looks like the rubber seal around it has deteriorated and now has a small gap.

fuel_leak.jpg

I would assume I need to replace that rubber piece. Anyone know what is that piece called, and where would I find a replacement?

Just saw the thread. Congrats on the Miata br0. :D

Thanks, glad I got it at good price with the repair list I'm getting.

Also, I got some tips on how to drive with an old cutch and now I'm just fine with hills and the likes, no more hopping :) . Still, I will need to fix that at some point.

Also paint, that color is the wrong color for florida. The darker the car the hotter it gets. Budgeting for that.

I did the brake pads today. I really put that breaking bar to good use on the left side. On the right side I found out I need a new rotor soon. The old pads really had no stopping force. Now it feels like it should.

old_brake_pad.jpg

I'm on the track to fix my fuel problem thanks to miata.net
http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?p=6988765

The car has a case of the hla's all of a sudden so I'll get that fixed soon. My next project is the timing belt / crank seal, fuel and oil filter.
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4548&parentid=0&stocknumber=04-80000 1990-91

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5681&parentid=0&stocknumber=35-60000

http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=5681&parentid=0&stocknumber=35-61000

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/8532-07024375.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=1990-1997, 1999-2000 Mazda Miata Crankshaft Seal Felpro TCS 45860 Front 90-97, 99-00 Mazda Crankshaft Seal 1992 1993&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek Google Base&gclid=CNDMqYrFjr8CFSwS7Aod7k0AiA

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/MC/8532-07111417.html?utm_content=MC&utm_term=1990-1997 Mazda Miata Fuel Filter WIX 33289 90-97 Mazda Fuel Filter 91 96&fp=pp&gbm=a&utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_campaign=PartsGeek Google Base&gclid=CMPPv53Fjr8CFcnm7AodCRMA1g

Good lad! I have one too, link in my sig! ;)
After racing in so many different series on GTP with an MX-5 it was really my only logical choice. And I couldn't let you and the rest of the miata world have all the fun.

Last edited:
Really only a bit.
Already came in here so many times unlogged, or without the time to write. Now I profit: awesome purchase. Cool little cars. And you seem already to baby it 👍
At one point I was very close to buy one myself, a few months later I see it in a neighbor village. On jacks. (dodged a bullet :D ) They have their age and need love. But it is worth it.

Really only a bit.
Already came in here so many times unlogged, or without the time to write. Now I profit: awesome purchase. Cool little cars. And you seem already to baby it 👍
At one point I was very close to buy one myself, a few months later I see it in a neighbor village. On jacks. (dodged a bullet :D ) They have their age and need love. But it is worth it.

Thanks, I will get more footage latter. It's roadworthy but needs work in a few areas. Thankfully mostly cosmetic. I had to push back the engine refresh 2 weeks.

Last edited:
Back