My Stupid Dilemmas

• Thread starter Georgeagea
  • 18 comments
Lebanon
Jounieh
Georgeagea
I've been very reluctant to create this post as it is really stupid in many ways. But I will share it nonetheless. Take it as if I'm thinking out loud.

I have a PS4 pro and I love it.
I love it for FPS games since it's mostly a playing field with no hacking/cheating stuff (I know to a certain degree). So I play battlefield 5 and other games and enjoy them.
I also happen to have a playseat, a G29 and I love simracing (although not great at it).
I once tried Occulus rift VR in AC on PC and loved it. Got a PSVR to double check, and loved DR and GTS in VR. I just love simracing in VR simply put.

So now I am seriously considering getting a PC for simracing because I know the sims are superior on PC, much more titles to have and because I can chose VR (or triples if I really got bored someday).

1st stupid dilemma:
I love PS4 for the ease of use. The plug and play. No need to fiddle with any software, any drivers, OS updates, etc....
I'm worried about getting a PC for the above reasons.
Mind you, I'm not a noob in these stuff. I'm more like a geek. Had a PC like 15 years ago. I also used to root, custom rom and mod every smartphone I got (and they were money). But I don't feel like going through those again. I'm older now.

2nd stupid dilemma:
I'm tight on budget yet getting a good VR PC (and a good experience) means I need to get an expensive PC (at least a GTX1080) coz/since I'm planning on getting a Samsung HMD Odyssey +. Didn't like the rift resolution too much to be honest.
How to go around that stupid constraint?! Should I give up on PC altogether and wait for the PS5 which will, arguably, allegedly, be much better/faster than PS4 and should be able to handle the new (or maybe old?!) simracing games in VR?!?!

3rd stupid dilemma:
I was planning to not get any non-simracing game on the PC. Yet I'm not sure I can do that. I love PUBG for example (which sucks on PS4) and I love Arma 3 for example and some other PC exclusive games. So I'm afraid I might be drawn into playing them on PC, because in that case, why would I still need a PS4?!?!
I'm not sure you're getting my point and I'm not even sure if I am right to think like that or not.
I'm a bit worried to leave the PS4 ecosystem and all my friends/(money that I have put) all behind me.

I'd like to discuss all of that please if possible.
Cheers.

Last edited:
1: I personally haven't had too much trouble with my PC that I haven't caused myself by trying to do something it's not really supposed to do. My PS4 has been almost perfect, though. Buying Asus, Samsung, Corsair, Intel (including WiFi, LAN and Bluetooth) and Nvidia has helped me avoid hardware, software, compatibility and driver trouble.

1. Things cost money, no way around that, but a GTX 2060 would probably do VR for less than a 1080. Also you get over the resolution thing so the Rift isn't a bad purchase (but you could also wait a currently unknown amount of time and get better hardware for less) IMO.

c) Impossible!

@neema_t
Thanks for your reply mate.
What do you think about the PC for simracing? Do you think it's really worth it? Have you ever for example thought that you regret it, or regret something about it? Or maybe like questioning why did you ever get it in the first place? Do you think it's worth paying that much to get that improved experience over a PS4 for example?
I'd just like to know more about that side of things before I step into it. Thx.

First of all, a dilemma is never stupid. It means that you are passionate. Creating dilemmas is stupid but unavoidable because of your passions. :D

1) There is absolutely no problem with plug and play when using a pc for gaming. I haven't had a PlayStation in many years and solely use pc for sim racing. I have absolutely no problems with drivers, plug and play OS updates and so on. Windows 10 updates are automatic. Graphics card drivers have evolved a lot in the last 15 years.

2) You can't compare a PS with a gaming pc. A gaming pc is much more versatile but much more expensive. It is never stupid to get a gaming pc but when you are on a tight budget, I personally would wait until you have the money to buy an expensive gaming pc that is able to run VR/triple monitor. Getting a budget gaming pc is not advisable because you can't run a VR on a budget gaming pc.

3) When you start sim racing on pc, you are lost and it will cost you even more. I don't know if you have a steering wheel and stuff but you will need that for sure. Also, a VR and a triple monitor is expensive.
Leaving the PS4 and your friends. Nope, I don't believe that.

Wait until you have the budget to buy everything you want and don't make compromises.

@kikie thanks for your awesome reply and your kindness.
So you think I need to keep my PS4? And what about the PS5? (I know too soon) but I mean you think it should be bought too?

@kikie thanks for your awesome reply and your kindness.
So you think I need to keep my PS4? And what about the PS5? (I know too soon) but I mean you think it should be bought too?
Keep the PS4 and wait for the first specs of the PS5 to be released. Don't get a gaming pc yet. If you sell your PS4, you will regret it and you probably won't make enough of it (money when selling).
After the summer, AMD is going to release the Ryzen 3000 series, which are probably going to be as good as the Intel processors but cheaper. Also, nVidia is working on the next GTX graphics cards. I believe the first is the GTX1660.

I'm also waiting for information on the PS5 but I think the Mad box from Slightly mad studios could well become the new high-end replacement for gaming pc's (personal opinion).

@Georgeagea

I am in the same position, though I am really leaning toward PC when I’m ready to get new hardware. Could be this year, could be 3 years. Who knows. And I keep hearing about this Madbox....

There seems to be a big learning curve about specs and what’s right for my applications, but I’m confident in community support as well as with with advice from local computer reatailers.

So why do I want to switch to PC? The main reason is ultimate flexibility in control of my setup. Feasibly I could use a Fanatec wheel with a TM shifter. Or not, it’s up to me. Maybe I can get higher frame rates. Some games are known to perform better on PC. There are more peripherals available. VR is no longer limited to a few titles. I can finally use my headset mike and my Buttkicker simultaneously without some massive workaround that doesn’t even exist. The list probably goes on.

So what was holding me back? Cost perhaps - otherwise nothing else really, other than maybe missing some console exclusives; but you know, I can live without them.

I used to think PC racing was all about iRacing, but was I wrong. Every racing game I play except GTS is available on PC, and heck, I could finally discover what the fuss is all about with Richard Burns Rally.

Do I love my PS4 and are consoles great because of plug and play? Absolutely. But for me the flexibility of PC becomes more of a selling point each and every day I ponder this same subject.

@kikie
Yeah man I was actually thinking about that. But you know PS5 release (let alone availability) will be like 1 to 2 years from now. So I dunno. On one hand I say what the heck! I've been on PS4 since 2015 and I can wait another year or a bit more. But on the other hand, I have some urge to try that open world called PC. I'd love to get into VR in AC (with SOL mod) or PC2.
So it's not that obvious or easy to figure out what to do...
@cjr3559
Great feedback mate. Absolutely true. Cost is my main concern/holding back factor. I have too many stuff going on in my life and I have to keep budget in my mind.
I'm also very intrigued to see what RBR is all about. People swear it's the best rally game ever!

Fun fact :banghead: and don't shoot me!
I ordered online a week ago the Samsung HMD Odyssey + since I saw it was discounted to 300$ only! That's better than Vive pro screen quality and great overall piece of kit for only fraction of that price!
All of that and I don't have a PC :banghead::lol:

SxprH.gif

Seriously though, PC is the best if you want to play lots of various games and the fact that it also allows you to mod those games yourself by downloading necessary files for the mods you like, if you really love some modding. This is one main thing that just can't done to most games running in a console, if I'm not mistaken.

Well I've had my PC and Rift for about a year now and I've hardly touched the PS4 in that time. GTS went full potato with the SR/DR/penalties and lost me. I'd already played Driveclub so much that I didn't play it much after GTS closed beta came along. Other than that, everything I got for PS4 is available on PC, for very little money in sales. And a whole lot more sims of course, many of which have good to great VR support. I wouldn't sell my PS4 but I doubt I'll buy PS5.

I spent a lot on i7 8700K and 1080Ti etc, but that has meant that one year on I don't feel any part of it is lacking at all and I'm hoping for it to last another 2 years before any upgrading. Or more - it'll be the next step in VR that will need more power to run, otherwise I might just have to turn settings down a bit.

I've looked at the Odyssey+ and while it's probably what I would buy if I didn't already have a Rift, I can't justify it as an upgrade. There are pros and cons with each of them, and I've got used to the SDE.

As for cost, as we chatted before, yes it's expensive. As I said then:

tl;dr - if you've got the money then it's worth it, if you haven't then wait and see :)

You didn't wait long :) Prices have fallen even more, good deals on SSDs whenever Amazon has a sale on, so if you buy without rushing you could get a beefy system built up for somewhat less now. I'd still say it's worth spending for performance rather than trying to make do with a budget build. Maybe an awkward time for choosing a GPU though, with new 2xxx models still coming out (I haven't really kept up with them, and prices might take a while to settle).

Hey @Outspacer and thanks for your advice once again! Yeah I remember that conversation!
@anyone else also thank you.

I've just pulled the trigger on this:
Core i7 7700
16Gb Ram Ddr4
1 Terra hdd
GTX 1080 8GB Gigabyte X3 Fans Windforce
MB z270 Gaming M5
256gb SSD m.2
Case Xigmatek Venom
PSU 750w Cooler Master Extreme
Keyboard Tt esports Commander Mechanical Silent
Mouse Msi ds B
Mouse Pad Bloody
And a fancy RGB and vibrating headset Auroza 7.1

It's used but in great condition. Got it for 1140$. Might not be a steal I know, but in here prices are much more than their original prices. It's the best used deal I could find in here. Also not a beast but should be enough for at least some years to come.
What do you say?

If you already have all the means for your hobby, then I say go for it. But if you're planning to go hardcore in racing games, I would also suggest getting a new latest wheel plus a PlaySeat if you still don't have them yet. They can provide better experience if you're into that.

If you already have all the means for your hobby, then I say go for it. But if you're planning to go hardcore in racing games, I would also suggest getting a new latest wheel plus a PlaySeat if you still don't have them yet. They can provide better experience if you're into that.
My setup is in my signature bro. I have all that except for a latest high end wheel.

I am thinking about doing the same thing as you and ditch console gaming next gen and go full PC.
I already have the playset and the G29.
But this won't happen till a few years.

My setup is in my signature bro. I have all that except for a latest high end wheel.
Out of curiosity, once you have completed your gaming setup, can I ask where you will put all of these? If it's inside an office or your personal room. Just wanted to have an idea lol. ;)

Personally:
Simracing - generally PC was and probably will be better.
General gaming - consoles when I sum everything up are better for me

I was a PC simracer for many years but I also work on my pc (having multiple PC was out of the question because of the price and space) and my racing rig was always getting in the way (that is why I ordered a rig that I will Put on casters and bought a RTX laptop that should run sims plugged into my TV) . I then moved it to my TV+Console setup and GT was a good middle ground.

Plug and play of PC depends on the stuff you play. Sometimes when we would get together with friends and decide to play something new.. 9/10 times there would be some nonsense that has to be fixed on my or their end and (Like my triple screen would freak out with games UI and I would have to mod it etc).

Sims - usually are dialled in from frequent playing but all the FFB setting and stuff- eats time atleast for me(with all the freedom you want to do it)

I see no point in selling your PS4 because it does not cost that much comparing it with high end PC parts

Last edited:
Out of curiosity, once you have completed your gaming setup, can I ask where you will put all of these? If it's inside an office or your personal room. Just wanted to have an idea lol. ;)
My house is very small. I put it in the living room. Don't worry, I'm always fighting with my wife about it! Hopefully, in the coming months, we will be moving to something bigger, where I hope to have my own gaming little room.

My house is very small. I put it in the living room. Don't worry, I'm always fighting with my wife about it! Hopefully, in the coming months, we will be moving to something bigger, where I hope to have my own gaming little room.
Oh, that is great lol. If you want some comfort while playing your games, maybe you could get yourself a very nice recliner, too. I'm also planning to get one in the future. :)

Back