My thoughts on GT Sport without PS Plus

• Thread starter gtfrick
  • 44 comments
With PS Plus I believe you can additionally backup your online save to your account? Backing up an online save, online, again I guess???

Without PS PLus you need a usb drive to backup your online account.

My opinion is straight arcade mode is a trash fire. 3 laps in any car you have with a field of rough equivalents.

I did it in an n600 Ford GT 2017 and got a Veyron as chase.

GT League IMO is about the same level as GT5... GT6 was much worse IMO.

Custom races is where most people sit but without the way to choose a field effectively its not that great. I would dearly dearly love to have Group C races.

Right now the only value I get is N400 vs GT4 cars which is a nice challenge and ok for money.

Mission challenges are ok but most of us have done it all. School is dire IMO, very simple.

Track experience is largely annoying with bad handling cars.

I dont like drift or TT except to fill in km.

I wonder if I've played an unpatched version of GT Sport though... does the PS4 automatically connect to the internet? I don't remember fiddling with the settings too much on it. I only remember that GT Sport came bundled with it.

I wonder if I've played an unpatched version of GT Sport though... does the PS4 automatically connect to the internet? I don't remember fiddling with the settings too much on it. I only remember that GT Sport came bundled with it.

Did you save your game? If so, you're online as you can't save progress any other way.
You cannot save the game unless you are on the current version of the game (at the time of playing). So, again you must have been online and up to date to save the game.

Did you buy any cars - When you play Arcade Mode you can use "garage cars" when bought. If it doesn't give you the option you're still offline. Cars bought only get saved if you're online. If you're still offline, you haven't actually played GT Sport yet, or most of the offline part anyway...

If you highlight the game on the ps4 menu, press options button, go down to information, be careful as its next to delete and see what version you have, mine says 1.53...last updated 18th December...

I actually am in a similar position to the OP, i recently bought GT Sport without having PS Plus subscription but by contrast i was actually really impressed with the offline offering. If’s far greater than i was expecting. I went into it knowing that at launch the game was online only, and the “campaign mode” was added shortly after and has been improved a lot since. The attention to detail in the game design and menus etc is great, having already been out for 2 years i’m seeing the game at it’s best. I probably would’ve been underwhelmed had i bought it at release.

Even with the other sims i play (DR2, Assetto Corsa and PCars 2), i only play offline, i just enjoy hot-lapping and tuning the car until i can beat the AI on the hardest difficulty, and GT Sport allows me to do that too.
My only complaint is that there are only 3 difficulties in GT Sport, i would prefer a 0-100 scale, but again as it’s primarily an online game i’m just glad it has something.

I prefer road cars in GT Sport, and the GT3/race cars in the other games.

I didn't buy any cars, if I remember correctly. I'm going to look at the version when I get home, as I don't currently have my PS4 with me. I have the disc of the original version (not the Spec II release, with the different box art) which came bundled with my PS4.

Mission challenges are ok but most of us have done it all.
It depends what you mean by "done". I spent several days on just one of them, trying to make the top 10 leaderboard, but ending up a few seconds too slow over a 30 minute race. I don't find much satisfaction in just doing them in the sense of putting in a poor performance that is nonetheless good enough for gold. I enjoy it much more when I feel I've put in a performance that is close to the best I can do, but that would take a huge amount of time to do for every mission, which is why I'm always a bit puzzled when people complain there's a shortage of single player content, as reaching my limit on every one of the missions, circuit experiences etc would occupy me for thousands of hours.

This thread gives me two points to be like: :confused:
  1. Why are there people who have a PS4 but use it 100% offline? It's absolutely useless then imho :dunce:
  2. Why are there people who think that you have to get PS+ in order to use any online functions of a game which don't involve actual online gaming (PvP/PvE) and only community features.
@OP: Connect your PS4 to the interballs, let it download every update there is and then come back to make a "review". I think it's not even a bad thing to review this game from a non-PS+-subscriber view as it actually offers so much more than just online racing. I bet there are heaps of people who only have the game for creating photos and liveries.

I've just confirmed that indeed my version of GT Sport is v1.00 and that my PS4 wasn't connected to the internet. I can't believe how much of an idiot I can be sometimes...
Why are there people who think that you have to get PS+ in order to use any online functions of a game which don't involve actual online gaming (PvP/PvE) and only community features.
Doesn't really make much sense now. I was pretty confused about what I need PSPlus for.
Some people probably think it has to do with DRM though, although it wouldn't make sense for it to require PSPlus either.
GT League IMO is about the same level as GT5... GT6 was much worse IMO.
I agree with most of your points however although its far better than GT6 its no way near as good it was in GT5.
How did they manage to mess up the Simulation mode in GT6 though? Is it really that bad? Just what exactly did they change from the Simulation mode in the previous games?

I've just confirmed that indeed my version of GT Sport is v1.00 and that my PS4 wasn't connected to the internet. I can't believe how much of an idiot I can be sometimes...

Doesn't really make much sense now. I was pretty confused about what I need PSPlus for.
Some people probably think it has to do with DRM though, although it wouldn't make sense for it to require PSPlus either.

How did they manage to mess up the Simulation mode in GT6 though? Is it really that bad? Just what exactly did they change from the Simulation mode in the previous games?
Well im not sure if i can explain it properly but long story short GT6 is a GT5.5 they made everything simple and it was like they were saying "Go online and play" But about the career specifically the races were implimented into the licenses with a 🤬 star system no real structure or prize cars (4 in total i beliave) no actual endurance races etc.

You‘d still be playing a v1.00 of GTS then and would have never gotten any update for neither the PS nor any game which makes it - as I said - absolutely useless :D
i thought you meant without PS + not without internet connection at all.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is true, I shouldn't have jumped this quickly to review the game without playing more of it. Especially since I have not played it in quite a bit, and didn't realize just how much the game has evolved. I should try playing this game more and see how it is now, and see how's the GT League.
Don’t expect GT League to be like past GT games where you have to do the Sunday Cup a couple of times to earn more credits to buy upgrades for your vehicle and move to the next event. There’s plenty of races you can do within GT League since there’s a total of 285 races(46 events) as of update 1.53.

Back