My thoughts on GTS

• Thread starter wobbleguts
  • 44 comments
Australia
Australia
Hi,

No Flaming/trolls please - this is just an opinion.

Great fan of the GT series, but I read the reviews for GTS and most of them were not very good so I decided to give it a miss (and wait for the next full GT release). However, my PS died and while I was waiting for the shop to swap it with a new one I saw GTS on special offer ($25) and bought it.

It is much better than the reviews suggested. I'm not even half way through the solo game (amateur league at the moment) but am very impressed. The cars handle and perform as you would expect. I love the way other cars sometimes crash and make mistakes - not seen this done so well before but it still seems a little scripted (ie, they make mistakes at the same place/lap and if you race again you can predict it). Big improvement though. I also like the sportsmanship idea, because this will go someway to solve the 'no damage' while you are racing.

My major gripes are with the menu display, replays and race times.

I don't get to see the times of other cars when I have won a race. Sometimes I see the time of the second placed car but that's it. Major bug.

I like to play replays with a cockpit view, but that option is unavailable. Hope it comes back soon.

In the solo campaign, you enter a new categorie and told to buy a particular type of car, but you can't buy the car from that screen. You have to write down the cars you can buy and go back/back/back/back and then back all the the way again to race. V annoying. Have to use a pen and paper.

The top screen stats are not explained. OK, I can see I have an F-Type jag and lots of money. What does the the rest of it mean? Info boxes are needed.

The online manual is lazy and incomplete. It needs to be updated ASAP.

Andrew.

91sn32Q.jpg

Hi,

No Flaming/trolls please - this is just an opinion.

Great fan of the GT series, but I read the reviews for GTS and most of them were not very good so I decided to give it a miss (and wait for the next full GT release). However, my PS died and while I was waiting for the shop to swap it with a new one I saw GTS on special offer ($25) and bought it.

It is much better than the reviews suggested. I'm not even half way through the solo game (amateur league at the moment) but am very impressed. The cars handle and perform as you would expect. I love the way other cars sometimes crash and make mistakes - not seen this done so well before but it still seems a little scripted (ie, they make mistakes at the same place/lap and if you race again you can predict it). Big improvement though. I also like the sportsmanship idea, because this will go someway to solve the 'no damage' while you are racing.

I don't get to see the times of other cars when I have won a race. Sometimes I see the time of the second placed car but that's it. Major bug.

I like to play replays with a cockpit view, but that option is unavailable. Hope it comes back soon.

In the solo campaign, you enter a new categorie and told to buy a particular type of car, but you can't buy the car from that screen. You have to write down the cars you can buy and go back/back/back/back and then back all the the way again to race. V annoying. Have to use a pen and paper.

The top screen stats are not explained. OK, I can see I have an F-Type jag and lots of money. What does the the rest of it mean? Info boxes are needed.

Andrew.
you'll be fine.

Did those cars crossed the finish line? If not you have to wait.

Cockpit view on prototype/concept cars are often not there because the manufacturer didn't design that part of the car. But every other 'real' car have a cockpit view in replay.

The number with 'M' icon are miles points, you can use them to buy a new special paint or to upgrade your car.
In the far top-right corner, you have your daily drived distance, since you can have a gift car every day, you just have to ride more than 42km a day.

Hi,

Andrew.
For this part it may help to look through the online manual more thoroughly as all that info is there.... and when you hold the curser over the boxes it tells you what's in there.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/top/content01i1xiyiKonJj8eSB.jpg

Brisvegas hey? G'day from Sydney the defacto capital.

After a race you either come first and get your time only or you come last and get EVERYONES' time. I do get why people are annoyed at this but at the same time, people dont care for those stats if you win. I only care that I won and I got fastest lap.

I also think that yeah... the game doesnt lead you by the hand in many ways. Gran Turismo is the original 'git gud' game.

I think in Leagues there's a button where you can get a list of eligible events cars for you AND opponent cars.

I dont put much stock in the way PD (and Forza and everyone else) gives you a rating out of 10 for handling and acceleration and all them synthetic grades.You shouldnt either.

Again this is a result of Gran Turismo sort of catering to the motoring enthusiast. True to form, your expectations of a car generally end up working with how GT Sport works.

The F-Type is a very very mediocre race car. The Maserati Gran Turismo is also middling. You want to win? Get a modern 911.

Or a 458 or a Huracan.

Cockpit view on prototype/concept cars are often not there because the manufacturer didn't design that part of the car. But every other 'real' car have a cockpit view in replay.

The number with 'M' icon are miles points, you can use them to buy a new special paint or to upgrade your car.
In the far top-right corner, you have your daily drived distance, since you can have a gift car every day, you just have to ride more than 42km a day.

Hi,

Yes the cars have crossed the finish line. It doesn't matter how long I wait - I never get to see the times of the other cars. v annoying.

I will try again to see if I can get a cockpit replay. Tried it a few times before but maybe they were concepts. Am in the TT amateur cup now and driving a TTS so will give it another go.

In the far top-right corner, you have your daily drived distance, since you can have a gift car every day, you just have to ride more than 42km a day

The menu items on the top right don't have an info box when you hover on them. I think I know what they mean from reading the manual where it mentions sportsmanship/speed rating etc but it doesn't state where these are displayed. I think they need to display an info box for those items like they do for the left hand side of the menu.

For this part it may help to look through the online manual more thoroughly as all that info is there.... and when you hold the curser over the boxes it tells you what's in there.

https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/top/content01View attachment 847885

yes but what do the six items on the right hand side of the top menu mean? I've gone through the manual and think I know but it would be good in future if you could hover over them and find out (without having to RTM)

Last edited by a moderator:
yes but what do the six items on the right hand side of the top menu mean? I've gone through the manual and think I know but it would be good in future if you could hover over them and find out (without having to RTM)
First one is your credits. You can buy cars in Brand Central with them. They cap at 20,000,000.
Second one is Mileage Points. You can either use them to buy power and weight upgrades, or go into the Mileage Exchange and buy special cars, colors, wheels, helmets and profile poses. They cap at 99,999.
Third one is your Daily Workout. This is how many miles/kilometers you have travelled today. Beware though as it's buggy and it doesn't always register your mileage in lobby Free Practice. You can see your history by pressing the OPTIONS button.
Fourth one is your level. For every race you get XP that will add to your level. You will unlock tracks to use in Arcade Mode and leagues in GT League, up to level 30. It caps at 50, but it's very hard to reach 50 (almost 3 years in and I'm still at 49)
Fifth and sixth are your Driver Rating (DR) and your Sportsmanship Rating (SR). DR is how good you are in Sport Mode, and SR is how clean you are. It's recommended to keep an SR of 99, as you will get cleaner races and you'll be cleaner yourself.

Hope I helped you with this guide.

Brisvegas hey? G'day from Sydney the defacto capital.

After a race you either come first and get your time only or you come last and get EVERYONES' time. I do get why people are annoyed at this but at the same time, people dont care for those stats if you win. I only care that I won and I got fastest lap.

I also think that yeah... the game doesnt lead you by the hand in many ways. Gran Turismo is the original 'git gud' game.

I think in Leagues there's a button where you can get a list of eligible events cars for you AND opponent cars.

I dont put much stock in the way PD (and Forza and everyone else) gives you a rating out of 10 for handling and acceleration and all them synthetic grades.You shouldnt either.

Again this is a result of Gran Turismo sort of catering to the motoring enthusiast. True to form, your expectations of a car generally end up working with how GT Sport works.

The F-Type is a very very mediocre race car. The Maserati Gran Turismo is also middling. You want to win? Get a modern 911.

Or a 458 or a Huracan.

Thanks for that, because it seems to be exactly what is happening. I cross the line and get no other car times. For me this is a problem as I like to gloat when I win and check how rubbish the other drivers are compared to me. Is it the same when you race against real people?

That's interesting. I have seen that 'opponent cars' a few times but didn't understand what it meant. Can I enter an opponent car when the race demands an eligible car only? That would be good.

Still in amateur league, so have a limited choice of cars and restricted to what I can drive. Having a lot of fun though.

First one is your credits. You can buy cars in Brand Central with them. They cap at 20,000,000.
Second one is Mileage Points. You can either use them to buy power and weight upgrades, or go into the Mileage Exchange and buy special cars, colors, wheels, helmets and profile poses. They cap at 99,999.
Third one is your Daily Workout. This is how many miles/kilometers you have travelled today. Beware though as it's buggy and it doesn't always register your mileage in lobby Free Practice. You can see your history by pressing the OPTIONS button.
Fourth one is your level. For every race you get XP that will add to your level. You will unlock tracks to use in Arcade Mode and leagues in GT League, up to level 30. It caps at 50, but it's very hard to reach 50 (almost 3 years in and I'm still at 49)
Fifth and sixth are your Driver Rating (DR) and your Sportsmanship Rating (SR). DR is how good you are in Sport Mode, and SR is how clean you are. It's recommended to keep an SR of 99, as you will get cleaner races and you'll be cleaner yourself.

Hope I helped you with this guide.

Thankyou. Top menu explained.

Thanks again. I was confused about the DR rating as I win just about every race in solo mode but it rates me at 'E'. Beginning to rate it in sport mode makes sense. I thought I was doing something wrong.

yes but what do the six items on the right hand side of the top menu mean?
Under the bit labelled C on this image?

It tells you on the same page of the manual:
C: Status Window
Your current status is displayed here. The following information is displayed in the top row: your current car (and car category); number and status of achievement rewards; the time. The following information is displayed in the bottom row: your Credits, your Mileage Points, distance driven towards the Daily Workout, your Level, your Driver Rating, and your Sportsmanship Rating.
That reads, quite logically, from left to right.

There's a link in the manual explaining what these things all are, how to get them and what to do with them: https://www.gran-turismo.com/us/gtsport/manual/#!/tips/content02

Thanks for that, because it seems to be exactly what is happening. I cross the line and get no other car times. For me this is a problem as I like to gloat when I win and check how rubbish the other drivers are compared to me. Is it the same when you race against real people?
In offline mode the race finishes the moment the results appear. That means that only cars ahead of, or very, very fractionally behind the player car are classed as finishing. Gloating doesn't upset the AI.

In online mode, all cars are player cars, though there is a preset countdown timer that starts when the winner finishes the race. Anyone who does not finish before the time runs out is not classified as finishing (although they'll retain their position for the purposes of DR scoring).

I will try again to see if I can get a cockpit replay. Tried it a few times before but maybe they were concepts. Am in the TT amateur cup now and driving a TTS so will give it another go.
VGTs in the game don't have visible cockpits, sadly. They're all blacked out.

VGTs in the game don't have visible cockpits, sadly. They're all blacked out.

I raced the production car TTS in 2 races. No cockpit replay available. Only options are... Camera type standard/variable. Race info on or or off. So cockpit replay is NOT available. Big shame.

I raced the production car TTS in 2 races. No cockpit replay available. Only options are... Camera type standard/variable. Race info on or or off. So cockpit replay is NOT available. Big shame.
Press the square button a couple of times. Or possibly the R1 button. Whatever button you usually use to change the camera angle in the race itself.

I have video proof that keeping an SR 99 keeps you in cleaner races, is a lie, :lol: In fact, I've seen more dirty tactics used in those grids than I have in B or C SR grids.

I have video proof that keeping an SR 99 keeps you in cleaner races, is a lie, :lol: In fact, I've seen more dirty tactics used in those grids than I have in B or C SR grids.
Yeah. Except those sneaky SOBs know how to be dirty while staying squeaky clean.:lol: But that's a discussion for another thread.

How old are you, man? Just curious. I'm no teenager either but I figured out everything myself without any problems. Might be a gaming thing though. I've been playing video games for a loooong time.

How old are you, man? Just curious. I'm no teenager either but I figured out everything myself without any problems. Might be a gaming thing though. I've been playing video games for a loooong time.

Good for you. You must be very smart. So how do I get a cockpit view replay then?

Good for you. You must be very smart. So how do I get a cockpit view replay then?
No sarcasm necessary, man. Wasn't making fun of you. You change to cockpit view in the replay the same way you change to cockpit view when you're playing. Enjoy.

There are very, very few reviewers that I trust. Most prioritize hits above all else and so sacrifice everything else to maximize it.

Well, I mean it's not that hard to understand why GT Sport would get hammered in the reviews. An industry loathing lament really isn't needed there. PD's SR system literally had no comprehensive explanation behind it, which confused most of the reviewers out there. The only reviewers who could give the game a fair shake were Sim reviewers who understood PD's lofty iRacing goals and what the SR system was trying to achieve.

Many of us from the Beta knew that GTsport would be a huge game changer for console racing, if it caught on. But we also knew that most console gamers don't want to deal with clean racing, sports ethics, and etiquette of race driving, so we were fairly realistic that it wouldn't catch on.

Thankfully it's sustained a solid player base over these past couple of years even becoming a min. standard sim experience for seasoned racers and youtubers.

The method I told you - press the button you use to change the view when driving (which will be different on different controller maps).

Also, use the Reply box in the bottom corner of a post you want to reply to. That way you get a formatted quote, like the one above, and notify the user that they've been quoted with an Alert, like the one in the top-right corner of your screen you got for this reply.

The method I told you - press the button you use to change the view when driving (which will be different on different controller maps).

Also, use the Reply box in the bottom corner of a post you want to reply to. That way you get a formatted quote, like the one above, and notify the user that they've been quoted with an Alert, like the one in the top-right corner of your screen you got for this reply.

I started this post with the heading 'my thoughts on GTS'.

Basically said it was a good game, but there were some confusing menus etc. All of these questions have been resolved on this forum (thanks everyone) except for one. The cockpit replay...

No-one can answer how I get a cockpit view in replay mode. Don't understand why you keep saying it's easy/how old are you/I figured everything out myself without any problems/. It was a very simple question.You said I just do the same as I do in race mode. How do I do it in race mode?

You are a little fuss pot aren't you.

I started this post with the heading 'my thoughts on GTS'.

Basically said it was a good game, but there were some confusing menus etc. All of these questions have been resolved on this forum (thanks everyone) except for one. The cockpit replay...

No-one can answer how I get a cockpit view in replay mode. Don't understand why you keep saying it's easy/how old are you/I figured everything out myself without any problems/. It was a very simple question.You said I just do the same as I do in race mode. How do I do it in race mode?

It’s so simple to change camera view in replays to the cockpit camera. You literally just use the change camera button on your controller/wheel you’d use in a race. Sometimes you need to press L2 and bring up the change followed car menu to free up camera options.

To help us help you, have you tried square and R1? Did either of those work?

Do you ever change the view when racing?

Anyway, top left corner of the menu is the GT button (marked with A on the image in this thread). In there you will find the controller settings. That tells you what every button is mapped to. Find the one that says 'Change View' and that's the button. If none of the buttons are mapped to change view, then map one of the buttons to change view.

You could literally just try every button on the pad. One of them must be set to change view. If it's not it can only be because you changed it.

You said I just do the same as I do in race mode. How do I do it in race mode?
Press the square button a couple of times. Or possibly the R1 button. Whatever button you usually use to change the camera angle in the race itself.
I have no way of knowing what controller map (or even controller) you are using, so I cannot give a definitive answer, except to say it's the same button you'd use to change the view when driving.

Your current controller map settings are in the Options menu - under "Controllers". Look for the picture appropriate to the controller you use - there's several wheel options and two for the standard PlayStation 4 controller (also known as "DualShock 4") or aftermarket alternative (listed as "Wireless Controller"; 1P for player one, 2P for player two).

Don't understand why you keep saying it's easy/how old are you/I figured everything out myself without any problems/.
I've not made any comment along those lines, so I don't understand why you're quoting me and saying that I did.

I have, however, posted links to the game manual, quotes from the game manual, instructions on how to find what you're looking for, and help with posting functions on this site, all to help you get the most out of the game and this forum...

I have no way of knowing what controller map (or even controller) you are using, so I cannot give a definitive answer, except to say it's the same button you'd use to change the view when driving.

Your current controller map settings are in the Options menu - under "Controllers". Look for the picture appropriate to the controller you use - there's several wheel options and two for the standard PlayStation 4 controller (also known as "DualShock 4") or aftermarket alternative (listed as "Wireless Controller"; 1P for player one, 2P for player two).

I've not made any comment along those lines, so I don't understand why you're quoting me and saying that I did.

I have, however, posted links to the game manual, quotes from the game manual, instructions on how to find what you're looking for, and help with posting functions on this site, all to help you get the most out of the game and this forum...

Many apologies. I have gone back through the posts and mixed you up with BaareCZ.

His response was not helpful at all. No doubt he is chuckling now.

Sorry about that. I will try what you suggest and get back to you. I did change the WC so X was accelerate and square was break. This has probably had a knock on effect. Still enjoying the game (in the Boxster cup now), and thanks to the forum members I have a better idea of what is going on. Hopefully your suggestion will solve the cockpit replay question...

Back