My thoughts on Simulator games

• Thread starter Kevin3942
  • 42 comments
@Kevin3942 You're confusing simulation with immersion, which are two different things. The simulation is all about how the car reacts to the forces involved: steering, acceleration, braking, road surface, wind, etc. The camera angle has nothing to do with the quality of the simulation.

Immersion is about how real the experience feels, and that is highly subjective. It's not up to you to dictate to other players how real or unreal their experience is.

This is a driving simulator game so I believe you should drive from the cockpit view only. A simulator is suppose to simulate the real world, therefore when driving the car you should have the in car view or you are not playing it as it should be played. (SIMULATOR).

If you want it to be a true simulator, you should get a triple screen setup minimum (VR even better), with full motion simulator and a hammer to hit your head everytime you crash.

Cockpit view in GT is nowhere near reality. FOV is wrong (even with Narrowest setting). Wheel & hands can't be turned off so it doubles up with your wheel and hands in front of the screen. You're trying to project a 3D surround into a 2D plane, which is never going to give the same "feeling" as sitting in a real car's interior. Bumper view gives me a closer feeling, and that's what I've always used.

"The Real Driving Simulator" tagline has been outdated for 10+ years now. Back in 2005 when GT4 was released there were already several sims which are better than even GT6 right now. Just play the game however you want, but don't force those ideas upon others 👍

Bumper view gives me a closer feeling, and that's what I've always used.
Me too,even in PC simulators.Playing with cockpit view(single screen)overwhelms me a sense of claustrophobia :lol:

@Kevin3942 ;)

Gran-turismo-2_2956334c.jpg

upload_2016-4-12_23-38-30.jpeg

Dan
I would use the cockpit camera... if the field of view wasn't so narrow that I'm effectively blind on both sides of the car.

Ditto.

There are some cars with wider cockpit views though but most of them are a bit restrictive.
To each his own nonetheless. The game gives you different options so it's all good. Still remains an excellent driving simulation game. The best in my opinion.

A simulator's job is to give as realistic an experience as possible, sometimes the result is off-spec but it translates better to you than a more literal approximation.

For example: cockpit view lets me see the cockpit as in real life so it translates literally what you would see, however I cannot turn my head, nor can I adjust the mirrors and alien hands are all over the wheel, and that absolutely destroys the immersion and makes it not simulate in a way that translates cleanly to me. Bumper view however gives me a clear view of the road through a windscreen-shaped medium (the monitor) and an aligned rear-view mirror at an appropriate angle to reality. The game doesn't mimic wearing a visor either but I'm not gonna complain about not having an out of focus helmet piece in the centre bottom of the screen, my vision not being darkened and not having to deal with realistic fogging obscuring the road.

I have tried cockpit view many times. It just doesn't give me enough vision to be comfortable. I have decided the only way I could enjoy cockpit view would be in an actual cockpit. I have the idea in my head, S30 Datsun, or E30 BMW interior/dash with LCD gauges adjusting to the car driven. The Windshield and side windows are replaced with triple monitors. Rear view would be through virtual mirrors on the screens. Maybe another monitor to look back.

Yea, not happening. But hey it would be a nice cockpit view.

Too many issues to work out but it is an idea.

Me too,even in PC simulators.Playing with cockpit view(single screen)overwhelms me a sense of claustrophobia :lol:

@Kevin3942 ;)

Gran-turismo-2_2956334c.jpg

View attachment 536346

It's always interesting whenever pics of Kaz playing GT appear, as he's always using 'Normal' view. It leads me to belive it's the pure view as he intended.

I personally like both cockpit views (blacked out and detailed) but I'm never going to tell a chase cammer they're playing the game wrong. I like the interior views since they create blind spots similar to real life, depending on the car.

Normal view is good if you really want to feel speed and want screen filled scenery whizzing by.

Back