My triple screen office rig: 46" 55" 46" Tv lift & Carbon fiber Dashboard + GS-4 Seat

• Thread starter HoiHman
  • 528 comments
I have only experienced Samsung Gear VR this far but I really dislike the pixelation. I know this may not be as bad on Rift but is still a limitation. For me I think it will only improve and get better but yes I expect to have the immersion is a great alternative to triple screens.

Enjoy it lots friend.

Try this 360 video but importantly with your tactile and your fan on too!!!
It is not far from @Carson79.

http://www.causewaycoastcommunity.co.uk/sport/video-360-degree-view-of-north-west-200-practice-lap/

Last edited:
The best you can describe the current state of VR as a look into the future.

It does take some time, but after a while you get used to the low resolution and the immersion takes over. In my opinion the current HMD's are at their best with the open wheelers.

DRS overtakes with Formula A cars are the best.

Simvibe + Accuforce + GS-4 + VR is an awesome combination. From those 4, VR is the only aspect i will upgrade as soon as a newer version will come available.

Thanks for the video, i will look at it tommorow. With fan, but without tactile because i don't have audio tactile anymore, only simvibe.

All that awesome hardware and no simple "input switch" device to select "Simvibe" or "Audio" for tactile enjoyment. :grumpy:

LOTS of VR games might benefit using the audio steering from the movement of the headset with audio tactile. Or they could also just feel weird with it but worth a go I think.

Last edited:
Oculus uses their own dedicated audio device, therefore it's not possible to use audio tactile with a splitter like with normal audio.

In general: audio tactile is lacking big time vs simvibe. It just isn't worth the trouble. When the GS-4 is installed, i only play race games. When i'm playing anything else i'm leaning back on a office chair that has no transducers at all.

VR has completely taken me over.

In the last 3 weeks, i only used the triple tv's once for comparing it back to back with VR.

I have been looking forward to playing uncharted 4 for months and months. Now it's installed on my PS4 for over 10 days but i've hardly played it because i keep want to get back into the car in VR.

Assetto Corsa looks amazing and it's the best VR experience i have had so far.

Last edited:
Sony is coming out with their own VR goggles which are avail for preorder, and their supposed to ship oct 31. I am quite excited by this news as triples screens and a high end computer will never be approved by my wife, whereas, I've already preordered the VR goggles!

It seems like you still play your ps4 (sometimes) @HoiHman, are you planning on getting the Sony VR goggles? I'd like to hear your thoughts about if Sony will be able to pull off a Rift-like experience?

With GT7, and Asseto Corsa coming to consoles I just hope the Sony VR goggles are able to do what they say they will, considering your overclocked 980ti struggles with the rift.

Has the VR goggles allowed you to drop your laptimes, or improve your driving in any measurable way? Or is it all about the immersion, I imagine situational awareness when your driving for the first turn on the first lap in traffic must be improved - might be able to thread the needle through traffic better?

anyways, I enjoyed looking through your thread, if I win the lottery Ill be following in your footsteps, lol.

Do hope you do a thread on your experience with VR covering more detail as you really seem to have taken to it. How are you faring in laptimes to triples? Possibly going to sell the 2 other tellys and go for a other VR as well?

As for Simvibe, mmmmm your wrong in my opinion, many of the effects can operate as mono over the chassis so it has in some titles I have tried technical disadvantages to audio tactile. Audio can provide great stereo tactile go try FM6 kerbs, excellent if a user likes such. However audio has disadvantages to Simvibe in not being able to control effects individually and road effects in particular are very pronounced in Simvibe constantly which they are not in game audio.

Additionally game audio can represent a real engine accurately, whereas someone creating a Simvibe engine effect could feel nothing like the car being driven and just be vibrations the user ends up with. So for me its not just so clear cut as you yourself consider it but people do on their own builds what they want or what they prefer.

Both in my view are worth the trouble with their own advantages and disadvantages. Kinda in ways like VR to triple screens, each could have their own benefits.

Last edited:
@pretend racer, i have no plans on getting the PSVR.

Laptimes have improved slightly, consistency and situational awareness have improved a lot. The increase in immersion can not be described, one has to experience it yourself to know the difference

@Mr Latte There are already 2 VR threads on the forum : The oculus and Vive thread

There's still an audio switch somewhere under the desk, but i haven't used it for a very long time. If a race game doesn't support simvibe, it doesn't support my GS4 and the Accuforce. This basically means i have no intrest to play it anyway because it wouldn't feel right to me.

Big hopes, but no expectations that Forza will be supported some day........
Forza / Forza Horizon on the PC in VR with full SC4 support, that's something i could play for a very very long time.

I have no plans yet to sell the other tv's yet, they will probably not be worth that much anymore anyway.

I suppose you are considering a new GTX1080 based card for VR although this is rather interesting and would also improve your screen configuration for free. Not seen much on it or any of the reviews for the new 1080 cover it for race sims yet but no more stretched cockpits or elongated cars on outer screens should be enjoyable.

Last edited:
I was thinking about getting a 1080GTX, but atm that card is not fast enough to run PCARS at it's highest settings either

PCars-DS4X-FPS.jpg

So what happened with twice the performance for VR.
Perhaps new drivers will show more in time or future update..

So what happened with twice the performance for VR.
Perhaps new drivers will show more in time or future update..
From the benchmarks I have seen the improvements are much more significant for none VR games compared to VR games. It is a little strange considering that Nvidia have made a bit of a song and dance about VR specific features of their new cards. I'll wait to see what the 1080Ti brings before I consider an upgrade.

From the benchmarks I have seen the improvements are much more significant for none VR games compared to VR games. It is a little strange considering that Nvidia have made a bit of a song and dance about VR specific features of their new cards. I'll wait to see what the 1080Ti brings before I consider an upgrade.

That could be a long way off though if when it appears?
Its not an area I know too much about being out of the PC scene for quite a while however.

What's the thoughts on SLI with 2x 1070 Vs a single 1080 or say someone now with a 980ti?
Might this be a good option and represent better than single 1080 but close to what perhaps a 1080ti might achieve? Kinda like how SLI 970 Vs 980ti compare now? Yet see link below as it sways in favour of one or the other depending it seems on how well SLI is implemented in specific titles.

Found This

I don't know how many race sims or if SLI is relevant in VR to make good use of it.
Considering a 1070 or Polaris based card myself but will be using 1080p only.

Last edited:
That could be a long way off though if when it appears?
Its not an area I know too much about being out of the PC scene for quite a while however.

What's the thoughts on SLI with 2x 1070 Vs a single 1080 or say someone now with a 980ti?
Miight this be a good option and represent better than single 1080 but close to what perhaps a 1080ti might achieve? Kinda like how SLI 970 Vs 980ti compare now?

I don't know how many race sims or if SLI is relevant in VR to make good use of it.
Considering a 1070 or Polaris myself but will be using 1080p only.
From my experience VR doesn't play very well with SLi at the moment. No idea if this will change in the future. My 980Ti seems to be doing the job at the moment so I'm happy for the time being.

You might not be interested but if you are there is a decent VR centric article on the new cards here http://www.roadtovr.com/nvidia-gtx-1080-benchmark-review-performance-head-to-head-against-the-980ti/

Thanks....

I think VR will be great but would rather wait till it improves not only in support/drivers and matures more. Also would prefer to see cordless with better screens. Personally something like the Samsung VR that allows you to use your own mobile screen which would greatly cut costs but is powered by the PC and possibly be wireless would be awesome.

I do see lots of enjoyment from it in entrainment also not just gaming.
360 movies or photos and the cinema experiences.

No need for cordless VR for racing.

From my personal experience i can say that VR is gonna be huge. It's, for me, at that point already that i really can't understand why people would invest in a triple screen setup, knowing that it's already yesterdays tech.

After having the rift for a full month, i'm sometimes still amazed by the presence. VR let's you appriciate all the fine details that the developers have put those awesome cockpits. You have to experience it to know what i mean.

AC performs pretty good already in VR, Pcars is heavy on the GPU & CPU. I'm looking forward to Dirt Rally and hope it performs well when it's released.

When examing the oculus rift, i found out that when i removed the foam insert that touches your face, my FOV is improved significantly (about 20% horizontal and vertical).

I have found a way to have the rift, like the PSVR, hang in front of my face, giving me much better comfort and the great FOV. I printed an extra headband on the front of the OR. Very very happy with the result.

With the 3d printer i made a bracket for 2 fans. The idea is that in the future they will be driven by the vehiclespeed comming from the game. For now the are powered manually with a fan controller.

Even though i have an airconditioning in the office, the fans that blow wind in my face are a pretty "cool" addition to my rig.

VR is slowly taking over my rig. Most of the time i don't even bother to install right side of my dashboard any more.

I know exactly what you mean @HoiHman . For me it's when you lean in a little closer to the dashboard and can see the 3d nature of the needles in the gauges or make out the raised lettering or numbering on the surface of the dashboard. It's just not possible to get that without VR and impossible to convey to someone who hasn't tried it what it means for immersion.

Very cool idea. Can you upload some more photos of the headband please?

I printed 2 brackets which can be mounted to the side of the Rift with to elastic bands. The 2 pieces of foam give stability to the headset. It's very important to get correct (personal) size exactly right: Too thin and the headset moves to much, too thick and it feels uncomfortable.

Because the rift can be tilted, it's very easy to find the exact sweetspot.

I never use the foam insert anymore only when giving demo's to other people and it takes only about a minute to convert the Rift in it's original state.

It's unbelievable how big the improvement in FOV and comfort is with this mod.

Eventhough i could use the extra power in VR, based on this average performance comparison the 1080GTX would NOT bring me enough improvement ATM.

I currently have a 12% overclocked 980TI MSI Gaming G1 which puts me almost on the same performance level as a non overclocked 1080GTX.

I hope 1080Ti will bring enough performance to justify an upgrade.

Last edited:
Info on PCARS tested with various CPU

Bit of an old test but not seen such done with VR.
This test with a GTX 980 and only 1080p resolution has a 40 framerate difference with various intel CPU from only a few years ago.

Not sure if later patches/updates resolved this in anyway. Although the VR benchmarks you linked used an i7 6700 on 1151 based board. So its going to be close to highest results currently possible and still not high enough for what you are after. If SLI is not well supported in VR then that is also a bit of a bummer as why bother with dual 1070 or 1080 but patience as an early adopter you should expect issues as well.

I suppose if CPU is still relevant with PCARS and by as much as shown with even higher resolutions like VR uses. If you have an older CPU/Chipset then it too might be a factor with PCARS to increasing your own performance? I dont know just linking the test I seen.

Also give it time for new drivers or an update from PCARS to possibly make better usage of the VR SMP that the 1080 may begin to show better results. Bit early to be saying it ain't worth upgrading we aint even seen any of the 3rd party based product benchmarked yet (lol) but yeah the 980ti is still a great card and one to be happy to own.

PCARS SLI (Non VR)
Clearly the game does rather well with SLI but perhaps it will take time for improvements to come for VR to be better implemented? It is after-all an NVIDIA backed title so improvements are virtually going to be certain. :)

Last edited:
Info on PCARS tested with various CPU

Also give it time for new drivers or an update from PCARS to possibly make better usage of the VR SMP that the 1080 may begin to show better results. Bit early to be saying it ain't worth upgrading we aint even seen any of the 3rd party based product benchmarked yet (lol) but yeah the 980ti is still a great card and one to be happy to own.

PCARS SLI (Non VR)
Clearly the game does rather well with SLI but perhaps it will take time for improvements to come for VR to be better implemented? It is after-all an NVIDIA backed title so improvements are virtually going to be certain. :)

I will probably never use a Multiple GPU solution.... ever.

I have had very bad experience with 2x R9 290x crossfire and in the end it's most of the time not worth the trouble. The graph above is actually based on a 3rd party 1080GTX. They only show a 5-7% improvement vs the standard cards, which is rather disappointing...

I hope that further driver and software updates will bring better performance, untill then i will probably wait for the 1080Ti

I printed 2 brackets which can be mounted to the side of the Rift with to elastic bands. The 2 pieces of foam give stability to the headset. It's very important to get correct (personal) size exactly right: Too thin and the headset moves to much, too thick and it feels uncomfortable.

Because the rift can be tilted, it's very easy to find the exact sweetspot.

I never use the foam insert anymore only when giving demo's to other people and it takes only about a minute to convert the Rift in it's original state.

It's unbelievable how big the improvement in FOV and comfort is with this mod.

Eventhough i could use the extra power in VR, based on this average performance comparison the 1080GTX would NOT bring me enough improvement ATM.

I currently have a 12% overclocked 980TI MSI Gaming G1 which puts me almost on the same performance level as a non overclocked 1080GTX.

I hope 1080Ti will bring enough performance to justify an upgrade.
Well done.
How are the two pieces attached to the Rift (and/or eachother)?
(You should post it on Reddit, I think it will be of interest to other Rifters too. 👍)

Back