Mysterious Experiences You've Had In Video Games?

Discussion in 'Console & PC Gaming' started by Sonygamer455, Apr 4, 2020.

1. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Here’s a fun little topic I have been meaning to make for a while now. As gamers, I am sure some of us have had experiences in games that we feel weren’t technically supposed to happen, but did anyway and we aren’t sure why. Well, that’s what this thread is about, mysterious experiences you’ve had in video games. It can be solved or unsolved mysteries.

It’s pretty simple, just list the game, the mysterious experience you had in the game, and an explanation if there is one. Like this:
    Game:
    Mystery:
    Explanation:

I am reserving this post for explaining the topic itself. Now it’s your turn, post the mysterious experiences you’ve had!

Last edited: Sep 17, 2020 at 12:35 AM
    GTPVenomZombie, VBR and Theufcveteran like this.
  2. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Well, don't everybody speak at once! :lol: I have one I could name right off the bat that I have been meaning to post.

Game: Spongebob Squarepants Legend of the Lost Spatula

Mystery: A long time ago I was playing this game and was on the Kelpazoic Jungle and I got to the Jungle Fish boss and could not figure out how to defeat him. Eventually, I had to quit the game, so I wrote the code down since the game used a password function. I reentered it later on and made my way back to where I would usually go to fight him and he was gone! It seems after entering the code, it bypassed the boss fight without me having to actually beat it myself and sure enough, I got what I needed from it as well and could continue on with the rest of the game.

Explanation: None. To this day, I still have no idea how this happened and I have yet to see it again. It's possible I may have entered the code slightly wrong and it took me further into the game as a result, but I am skeptical of this. I have tried to recreate this in recent years and have had no luck doing so.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    GTPVenomZombie and Theufcveteran like this.
  3. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Game: Need for Speed Carbon

Mystery: I noticed at one point with Cross's Corvette in the bonus cars section, it had a body kit that looked slightly different from body kit 4, which is available with the Corvette Z06 in the game. The most noticing thing for me was that it was missing some features in the back. Upon investigating via hex editing, I found it actually had the same hex code as body kit 4 and even said it had it installed when viewing the car. What's strange is looking at the menu for the body kits, body kit 4 looked just as it should upon cycling over it, same could be said for installing it in-game. However, if I was to install it via hex editing, the result was quite different from installing it in-game and it was a perfect match to what Cross's Corvette looked like by default despite the hex codes being the same. For a while, I wondered if they were two different body kits, but the hex codes being the same had me a bit confused.

Explanation: In recent years, Sage Ages mentioned that the preset cars in the game had overlapping body kits and given that Cross's Corvette was a preset car, I quickly realized that was what was actually happening with Cross's Corvette and that it wasn't a different body kit altogether. Rather, it was a body kit that was by default, not installed properly, hence why it's looked noticeably different than what it was supposed to be. Not sure why I didn't realize that sooner.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2020
    GTPVenomZombie likes this.
  4. MisterWaffles

MisterWaffles Premium

Game: Gran Turismo 6

Mystery: That one glitch where you could save a championship mid-session and upon loading the game back up, the same event would take place on your most recently-played user created track. You could get some pretty neat races using this glitch.

Explanation: Well, it was a glitch all right. PD patched it a week or two after it popped up, but not before I saved a bunch of replays and many other players started using it as well to create their own events. Still not sure how the user tracks could hijack an event like that, but it was cool to see while it lasted.

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  5. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

This is fascinating! Do you by chance remember what update it was?

6. VBR

VBR Premium

Game: Silent Hill 2.

Mystery: I liked to play the game late at night during the witching hour on my own & in the dark. I think I was on my first playthrough, & after turning off the game the soundscape was still playing. This is strange I thought to myself, as the console was turned off as well. Why was these incredibly haunting sounds still audible if everything had been switched off? It didn't help that my place was totally undecorated at the time, had missing tiles, & looked just like many of the locations in the game. I thought something supernatural was going on & I started getting a little freaked out, but kind'a liked it. It was creepy AF!

Explanation: After some time, I went outside & the noises got louder. Then, I realised that there was a massive vehicle doing some unidentified industrial process to some drains, I think, & the sound it made was almost exactly the same as the weird sound design in SH2.

SDSmurf and Sonygamer455 like this.
  7. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Can't blame you for being disturbed, I would have been too.

Sound design has come a long way over the years and some sounds really aren't too far off from what we hear in the real world. Not a mystery of any sort, but related to what you're talking about, my dad was playing Need for Speed Hot Pursuit 2010 once on our PS3 and my mom heard the sirens from the game. She thought they were real and then ran to the door to see them go by our house because she thought they were coming by, only to find out what she heard was from the game instead. I can't blame her for thinking that because the sirens in that game are pretty spot on. Although I am not a fan of the game itself, I have to give it some credit, the sound design is incredible.

8. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

This perhaps one of the biggest mysteries I know and I have no idea why I didn't post it sooner.

Game: Not really a game-related mystery, but rather a save file on my PS1 memory card.

Mystery: Long ago, around 2003 or 2004, I was starting to understand the PS1 a lot better, particularly the memory card and started to figure out how to save games. Eventually, I can recall navigating to the save menu on Tarzan for the PS1 and finding a save game that said "Gardens of Theed" that I think had some numbers in the name as well. I was kind of puzzled by it because I did not have a game by that name whatsoever nor have I ever heard of it. I eventually deleted it because I had no use for it since I did not own the game it came from, however, it would still continue to puzzle me for many years later

Fast forward to around 2011 and 2012, I learned of a place called Sony Index, a website that seemed to have an index of every known PS1, PS2, PS3, and PSP game produced and decided to look the game up there. I was met with even more confusion than before, I could not find any results for the game on there and was not sure why. So I googled it and found a Youtube video for Star Wars Episode I The Phantom Menace for the PS1 with the name "Gardens of Theed" in the title. I didn't think it was related to what I found on my memory card long ago and ultimately dismissed it still thinking Gardens of Theed was some obscure PS1 game that hadn't been documented.

Explanation: In 2017 I got the aforementioned Star Wars Episode 1 The Phantom Menace for the PS1 and started playing it. Eventually, I thought I recognized the save game icon and I also came to notice there was a level by the name "Gardens of Theed". It was then I learned that the save game I had found nearly a decade and a half prior by the name "Gardens of Theed" was actually NOT from a game by that name, rather it was the name of a level from within Star Wars Episode 1 for the PS1. So what I saw on Google previously was actually my answer all along. I had always thought the text displayed when viewing the file on the memory card was the name of the game, but that apparently isn't true for all games like I once thought.

Regarding how it got on the memory card, I eventually realized that the PS1 I had was previously owned by my cousin before my mom bought it off of him in 2001. That said, I came to the conclusion that my cousin apparently had Star Wars Episode 1 for the PS1 at one point in time and had created a save game on the memory card that had not been erased by the time my mother bought the console in 2001. It's possible he may have sold the game by then or simply didn't sell it to my mom knowing I was too young to play it at the time she bought it. I don't know when I figured that part out, but I think it was long before I got the game or even looked it up, but it was something I do recall thinking about again after getting the game.

Ironically, my cousin, the previous owner of the console, came to visit weeks after I bought the game and looked at some of the games I had bought. I eventually mentioned to him about how he evidently had Star Wars Episode 1 before he sold the console to my mom since I had found that save on his memory card long ago. He didn't have any recollection of owning the game, but I think this may just simply be due to the fact it was a long time ago and was not something he could remember after so long because not everyone has a photographic memory of the games they played.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2020
    GTPVenomZombie likes this.
  9. VBR

VBR Premium

Indeed. SH2 was one of the first games to experiment with 3d audio. I remember some of the in-game sounds as appearing to originate behind me, it was a very good effect. What with PS5's beefed up version of that, many gamers could be in for a treat I tell thee!

Sonygamer455 likes this.
  10. Sonygamer455

Sonygamer455

Game: A browser flash game called "Switch" on Funbrain.com

Some relevant info about the game: I doubt anyone is familiar with this game, so let me explain a bit about it. Back when I was 14 I think, me and many others in my school used to play the games on Funbrain.com a lot since it was one of the few that they allowed. Switch was a puzzle game on there that I really enjoyed (and still do) that involved switching fruit around and if you got 3 in a row, they disappeared and you would earn points for it and more would come down and such. The goal of the game is to reach 4200 points in 60 seconds and it was kind of a challenge but doable none the less.

Mystery
    : Somehow, after scoring some points, it seems like fruit kept falling into perfect place constantly and I managed to get 40,000+ points within the given time limit when I usually struggle to get just the 4200 points the game asked for. This is far beyond the requirement the game has and technically it should not be possible by normal means to get this many points, yet somehow I did.

Explanation: A super lucky glitch? I don't really know how it happened, it just seems like I got extremely lucky with the fruit constantly falling into perfect place and managed to accumulate far more points than the typical player ever could. How could I get this lucky though? To this day, I still don't know, but whatever it was, it certainly wasn't normal and I have yet for it to happen again. I've played it some just this past week and haven't come anywhere as close to what I did back then.

11. VBR

VBR Premium

Game: Journey.

Mystery: the entire game is one big mystery! It's the closest thing to a 'spiritual' experience you'll get in gaming.

Explanation: there is none, except whatever one you want to come up with for yourself. IMO, the game is like one big giant metaphor for life...