Nürburgring: side by side footage (real life/GT4)

• Thread starter valli
  • 58 comments
Zardoz
Valli, help us out! You sped up the GT4 video to match the speed of your RUF, right?

Yes, there's lots of time stretching in the GT4 video, just like I said in the initial post. The RUF video is untouched. I don't say "speed up", since that would make you believe that I checked the time difference between the clips and found a factor (say 2.5) to speed up the BMW video by.

It wouldn't work, since both the cars and the drivers are different. What I did is finding each curve manually in the BMW video and stretch it so it matches the time position in the RUF, then proceed to next curve.

My RUF?? Check the credits at the end, that's one of the best drivers out there tearing out on the Nürburgring. I wouldn't survive the first bend at that speed.

The track layout perfectly matches the real Ring, but the sorroundings are not so accurate (nor all the paintings on the tarmac), but even so, the most remarkable details are there. Good enough for a PS2.

That`s a great video,thanks for putting it up for everyone to see...that driver of the RUF is very good and he is pushing pretty hard,i would hate see what happens if he made a mistake,there is no room for error it`s a little scary to tell you the truth!!!
Now just let me loose in a Monaro/GTO and lets see how i go......i cant wait it will be so much fun 👍

I just saw the video and it is great.

for those who couldn't agree on stretching - check the credots at the end... :)

Many Many Many thanx for allowing me to prove to all my GT-doubting friends that its accurate gameplay!

The only downside is the lighting on the GT vid, but thats largely down to upload quality isnt it?

I always thought the super-light replays with the music-synch option on in GT3 were the best looking in terms of realism because of the extra light thrown in, i guess we just have to get more light into our games to add more life like imagery.

Either way, that video was absolutely excellent, and well done Valli, i can now show people the similarity of the game to real life, and prove to them that at a ripe old age, there is no shame in me buying a dfp, getting a car seat welded to some metal, and bolting my wheel to it to play video games! in an attempt to improve my driving skills in a safe environment!

Which is what i have done/am doing for the next year or so.

Thankyou very much.

just one word: wooooooooooow!
i just couldn't believe how exact the GT4-nordschleife is copied from the real one!

i'm really looking forward to the 9th march :-)

The RUF driver was ME :sly: no... just kidding, wish i could solve the nürburgring like he did. i live only about 150kms away from the nordschleife but i didn't find the time (and the money, i'm a poor student) to drive some laps on the real track. perhaps that will change, if we get a sponsor i will drive endurance races on the ring this year... :)

greetings from germany!
Michael

Koolad
The track layout perfectly matches the real Ring, but the sorroundings are not so accurate (nor all the paintings on the tarmac), but even so, the most remarkable details are there. Good enough for a PS2.

I think the RUF video is _at least_ 10 years old, if not almost 15. Maybe the trees and bushes have grown bigger! Also, didn't they start with the painting wave only a few years ago?

I'm no 'Ring expert, maybe somebody else knows better?

vexd
...video was absolutely excellent, and well done Valli, i can now show people the similarity of the game to real life, and prove to them that at a ripe old age, there is no shame in me buying a dfp, getting a car seat welded to some metal, and bolting my wheel to it to play video games! in an attempt to improve my driving skills in a safe environment! Which is what i have done/am doing for the next year or so.

Thank you very much.

Just don't forget to add driving shoes to that list!👍

SimRaceDriver
Just don't forget to add driving shoes to that list!👍

Thanx, although having checked the link, i dont think i will be trying those, i am a man of means, and i have managed to construct a fully sturdy and alterable race seat for GT4 for the cost of 15 of my british pounds (not including the DFP) but i prefer the feeling of bare feet whilst i drive!

Having this video downloaded to my office pc just means i can convince the rest of the worx team to accept the fact that GT4 is not just for kids!

Now all we need is a vid of someone managing to drift the Caterham......

Thanx again Valli

valli
I think the RUF video is _at least_ 10 years old, if not almost 15. Maybe the trees and bushes have grown bigger! Also, didn't they start with the painting wave only a few years ago?

I'm no 'Ring expert, maybe somebody else knows better?

When I was replying, this is just what I was going to say, I had that video from time ago, and I think it's ripped from an old VHS tape, but I'm at work, and just hit the button.

Even so, watching updated footage, vegetation is not still accurate, just a few of those lonely trees used as braking points are remarkbly similar to real life. I have tha Japan demo and the BMW demo and paintings on the tarmac are a bit repetitive... but look real enough

vexd
Thanx, although having checked the link, i dont think i will be trying those, i am a man of means, and i have managed to construct a fully sturdy and alterable race seat for GT4 for the cost of 15 of my british pounds (not including the DFP) but i prefer the feeling of bare feet whilst i drive!

Understandable..I was just wanting to point that out as an additional 'something' to use is all...Good luck w/your race seat & GT4! 👍

kickass job !!! thanks a lot man !!
I was thinking about doing one but with my "illegal" movie where the cameraman was recording + cell-phoning to his girlfirend at the same time wouldn't have been nice ;)

What we can see is as I said in another post ..the hills up and downs look a bit flat to me compared to reality (sorry bad english don't know the right terms to say this)
but that may be because of the camera position ingame...as I was in the driver seat I had another point of view after all...

Still thanks a lot for having taken the time to do a movie like this it will be so much easier for me thos show my friends that the game really does a good job on this track :)

edit:
1 thing that is not that realistic in GT4 is the "carrousel" in GT4 we are forced to go much slower than in real life even with all the bumps on it even and with my FF car I was between 80-90kph..maybe it's because the game doesn't simulate good enough the forces making you stick to the floor there ?!?!

Great work Valli

Things to keep in to consideration"
1: camera angle.
2: time, the ruf video (and therefore the track) is 15 years old.
3: weather/lighting: Polyphony copied weather/light settings of the days they were there, so it's different from the Ruf video

And still the comparison looks good.

There is a similar video from Prologue with a RX-8 race car at Tsukuba. The real life footage has a closeup screen of the rev meter and at certain times the revs are identical and so is the gear shifting. The Prologue player that did the video admitted that he had to limit the throttle so he wouldn't go faster than the real life video though! :) Nevertheless, it was great stuff to watch.

I can't find the video anywhere though,

One of the best vids I've seen. That Porsche has had some serious punishment, did you see how offset that steering wheel is? Must have been from all the times it has hung onto for dear life. And when that guy put it sideways about three minutes in just after passing a car, man that scared me! There's no room for error and there are big barriers there you fool!!!

The track looks exactly the same. The wait for the game is actually starting to hurt me.

Got my chair, got my DFP and got a shelf for it all on the way. I'm gonna get some driving shoes! There's no shame in it!

Notice how that Porsche driver isn't wearing a helmet, gloves or a longsleaved shirt that is fireproof or anything. He must really trust himself as a driver going at that speed!

Its not a Porsche!!!!

Its an RUF Yellowbird, made by RUF, not Porsche.

It may look like a Porsche, it may be based on a Porsche chassis, but it does not carry a Porsche badge, its an RUF.

Edited to add: before anyone becomes the millionth person to ask what the difference is please look here

https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=55095

It will help keep you flameproof.

Mclaren_Man
Notice how that Porsche driver isn't wearing a helmet, gloves or a longsleaved shirt that is fireproof or anything. He must really trust himself as a driver going at that speed!

One word:

Masochistic!

ppith
It's the test driver for RUF nicknamed "Dr. Drift" for obvious reasons.

Well, after doing a few laps on the Nurb with the Yellowbird, you realize that this car does need a drift doctor... I've never had a rear bumber so eager to pass in front of me. I was actually racing with my engine. That driving style looks like the proper way to drive (or simply keep control of) that car. Quite fun once you get the hang of it. (not fully there yet myself :grumpy: )

Back